EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What reputation does each player in your play group have?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/delay-n-pray/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-09-17-apocalypse-now/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-09-17-knowledge-is-power/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>1) Really good deckbuilder, a bit too competitive, prone to telling people their decks are shit.
>2) Newb, no idea how things work, will occasionally cheat and claim it was an accident if caught.
>3) The Girl; plays only merfolk and fairies. Guays and Nielsens. Little bit crazy, fun player to be around.
>4) All green all the time. Ramps like crazy, literally cannot stop ramping. Plays Helix Pinnacle.
>5) "No guys I swear I didn't put a proxied Mana Drain in this :^)" Fuck this guy, but no one else cares.
>6) Flavor over function. Picks a lot of tribal decks, gets frustrated easily, shares lore which we appreciate.
>7) Me. I like infinite combos or slapping people out of the game early, I get ganged up on a lot which I appreciate.

>What reputation does each player in your play group have?

>The Alpha Player
Regarded as almost always winning. Usually actually puts up a fight before dying due to being automatic archenemy

>The Beta Player
Decent at lurking, usually ultimately wins after Alpha goes down, very skilled

>The Stone Wall
Never attacks, even when piloting a midrange deck. Petrified of interaction, the only exception to the lack of touching anyone is an extreme vengeful streak.

>Lolrandumb
Idles or acts in no discernable pattern. Mostly the aggro, and attacks blindly. Doesn't run Ruhan, but basically IS Ruhan

>The New Player
Likes smashing, bad at threat assessment, doesn't have a lot of experience

>The Schemer
A sometimes player, not very good at playing Magic but frightening at playing the table. Always wants to cut a deal and always backstabs them the moment it's profitable yet players other than Alpha and Beta always fall for it.

>No edition
So close and yet so far.

There's nothing wrong with having competitive decks, it's just a matter of having the right power level of deck for the table. If you look around and see a bunch of janky timmy legendaries, you should pull out a "for fun" deck. Eventually, most players will crave something stronger, and might even get a competitive table going. And it's good to have something to pull out for arrogant cunts.

Hand shaking gets old especially in multiplayer, but to not even talk outside of games is ridiculous. I hope you don't give up on LGSs. I've met so many awesome people at mine.

>Being this much of a sperg.

Who /brews/ here?

Going in my derevi stax for sure. Not only do you have no lands or permannets and they never untap but if by some chance you get ahead ill just swap my life total with yours GG now you have to deal 80 damage to me with no lands or creatures. Its soliraire but now takes twice as long and its tutorable

Another fun toy for Selenia Lich.

How good is nazahn and a fair number of equips?

Add blue and go rafiq, he can pull off bullshit t5 commander damage kills

That's just an awesome card. Original, powerful, and nice art aswell.

He seems really strong, but he doesn't have the on demand hammer of nazahn that makes the other equips work so nicely.
Should I build him differently if I choose him?

Buy the time equipkitty comes out you really want to be searching for game winning equipment, not the hammer, seems like a common trap

(Captcha was select the hammers, not sure what to feel)

Alright good to know, guess I'll focus stacking damage and supporting the commander.
Might end up using equipkitty anyways once I gauge how competitive these people are.

>thread question
richfag, constantly flaunts his Atraxa superfriends deck

Red player, doesn't have a non-red deck. fun to play with

Black player, almost exclusively uses zombie themed decks. good player, gets mad if he gets comboed off the table

Dragon player, ran 5 color dragons since scion was released and refuses to use a different deck, almost always loses because he never gets all his land drops

Blue player (me), only non-blue I have is an edited vamp precon. Have soft-control fun decks and hard-control cancer decks if I feel vindictive.

Voltron player, changes commander weekly to see which commander is the strongest, tryhard

There's only a few of us, but we all have our thing.
>"Why can't I hold all this value?" - Probably the most skilled player in the group. Has assloads of decks, most of which are helmed by really strong commanders like Narset, Karador, and Animar. Despite this, he tends to build where his decks aren't unfun to play against, but they're still pretty powerful. Helps other people with their decks, though he usually starts by telling them every shit card that could go and runs with it from there.
>"YOU GUYS CAN'T KILL ME IF I KILL MYSELF FIRST" - Our resident B/R player, if that wasn't obvious enough. The kind of guy who will Hatred his attacking Zurgo for 30 because fuck you, that's why. Plays Zurgo, Sheoldred, Krenko, and some other stuff. Known to just wreck shit if left unchecked generally, and from time to time will manage turn 4 and even turn 3 blowout kills.
>"So I just bought my commander in foil..." - Me. I'm a huge sucker for shiny pieces of cardboard. As far as deckbuilding goes I'm all over the place though, with decks ranging from OG Kozilek turbo ramp to Hanna Enduring Ideal jank to Gaddock Teeg and his legion of hate. I'm a fan of crazy interactions and building Rube Goldberg boardstates that leave people half impressed and half spooked out of their minds. I'm real good at becoming the archenemy out of nowhere.

MFW got Draconic Domination brand new for 40 bucks with free S/H . Did I do good /edhg/ ?

what other edh precons are worth getting , is the Commander Anthology any good ?

ya 40 bucks is pretty good, will probably drop after the restock in october though

Is it just me or is this card really underrated? All the other offerings in the cycle are effectively "get something, give the same thing to an opponent" but this one is "remove something, then let an opponent remove something". It's a 4-for-1 in most cases.

Yes.

its ok on ramp , would like to see a textless ver.

It is.

I don't think the card is well known enough that everyone knows what it does by name alone.

Yes.

Nothing funnier than this card when playing against green or tutor fetishists.

In limited doses, I feel liek that could actually help me a bit, but I see your point.

>Thread Question
>League Group
Me: Guy that lives pretty far away, plays Tim decks but thinks he's a spike.
Judge Guy: Knows the game so well that loop holes are basically his decks.
Angel Guy: Plays Angels (and cats), quiet yet a textbook on magic too.
Izzet Guy: Plays Niv and is general coolbro.
Store-Owner Guy: Literally has access to every card he needs, still makes fun and fair decks.
Loud Guy: Plays expensive as fuck decks, keeps 1 land hands.
Ex-Yugioh Guy 1: Plays combo decks, is salty about infinite combos though.
Ex-Yugioh Guy 2: Plays combo and control decks, on the Amonkhet God meme train.
Omniscience Guy: Plays absolute cancer

>One-Ban and Others Group
Me: Guy that plays Gifts in Tasigur Lands
B-Braids Guy: Plays Black Braids, fuck him.
Maralen Guy: Plays Maralen Dream, it's okay.
Golgari PrimeTime Guy: Turn 2 PrimeTime, 80% of the time.
Asian Guy: Plays and makes incredibly fun decks to play against, and then ruins them with infect.
Beard Guy: Plays from time to time, plays precons with minor upgrades
Weeb Guy: Low Key investor, always asks if I'm getting rid of my EXP Godless Shrine.

It fucks with fetches too.

So I picked up Horobi Death's Wail from recommendation of a previous thread.

Shit's 10/10.

fuq.

*Me: Guy that lives pretty far away, plays Johnny decks but thinks he's a spike.

>same wincon every time guy - always wins with a ramp + tutor + tooth and nail + palincron + deadeye nav or ezuri ramp and wont build any other way, plays elves in modern and legacy
>mr "fair combo" tries to win as fast as possible (can be turn 4 can be turn 20) but never uses an infinite so he says he at least has to work for his combos, notorius for storm decks at the shop and plays it in modern, legacy, edh, and any time its usable in standard like with the jeskai ascendancy thing
>blue guy - me, I like delver and UW control and play them in any format theyre usable, really miss miracles also refuse to use infinite combos and never tutor for combo pieces

thankfully were all compitent players so the games are always fun even if I cant hold off the two fuckers from jacking off on the table, last resort is my chaos deck so everyone has a random chance at winning

How does a Horobi deck even win? General Mono-Black BS like Gary and Exsanguinate?

>Ramp/Tribal Guy
Every deck he builds includes green, and has at least one tribal subtheme, if not the main theme. He's pretty chill, and while the nature of ramp can allow his deck to snowball out of nowhere, it's usually pretty entertaining when he wins. Never a sore loser or a sore winner.

>Myself; Control Guy
Almost every deck I run includes blue. The others look at my untapped lands/rocks before making plays - they've grown to expect counterspells/removal, and enjoy trying to bait/play around them. People tend to overestimate my boards due to the time I spent with an Animar deck in the past. I've tried running jankier commanders, but they assume that I'm going to do something ridiculous and focus me as soon as I get them out - even after the thing is dead - so I've been switching to goodstuff and stax.

>Red Guy
He always plays red. He denies it, but I've never seen him play a deck without red. He looks at Tribal Guy as being inferior and less-intelligent because he plays "Timmy cards", but most of his decks involve pumping out tokens and dropping mass buffs. He can be both a sore loser and a sore winner, but he's been getting better about it. Although the oldest of us, he acts the youngest.

Low key awesome in Gishath Commander?

Ehhhh. It's too low-impact as a Dino, and there are better grave hate cards.

The guy is probably running black Iname mass reanimator, Kuro+Horobi means no one gets to keep targetable and destructible creatures for as long as both are out.

Also shits in mairsil's cage

I'll take all the fun gravehate I can get. Relics bore me.

That seems really good with Sanguine Bond/Exquisite Blood

>sucker for shiny pieces of cardboard
>as far as deckbuilding goes I'm all over the place
>fan of crazy interactions and building Rube Goldberg boardstates
>good at becoming archenemy out of nowhere
Holy fuck are you me?

False Cure is a little rough, as it affects you as well as your opponents. Pic is a little safer. I'm probably going to end up running both in Licia when I get around to making that deck.

I'm the biggest bitch, but I make people laugh. Casual as fuck, but has to play control to keep up.
My friend plays strong decks badly and has lost games with Omniscience out.
My other friend has hellbent and losing or unstoppably winning, no real in between.
My last friend is a saltmine who has a penchant for enchantress and other explosive decks.

Yeah I run Bond/Blood in Kambal and need to find some way to squeeze Remedy in as well.

>Guy who never goes to EDH night because he works nights
>Goldfish

I wish I could run it in commander, but I keep slotting my copies into 60 card semi-casual.

ME: From what I can gather, the mediocre player who is always down to play and has WAY to many decks
ROOMMATE: The player who will give up a game winning play in order to do something fun (or "fun")
THE RICH GUY: Not actually rich, but he drops the most money on foils and promos. Literally only plays EDH and will take apart a deck if the group thinks its to strong.
RICH DUDES GF: Plays the decks that her bf builds, is only happy when she's winning, will scoop if she gets annoyed enough. Pays attention to what's happening the least, but tbf she has to watch her kids
THE OG: Older lady who played back in the early 90s, stopped and got back in recently. Is often underestimated when it comes to good plays
OG's KID: Preteen who mostly just watches us play or sits on his phone. When he does play, he needs help in order to keep pace.

Special mention to
THE VISITOR: Dude who goes through periods of constant attendance and complete absence. Doesn't drive so that would explain it. Plays mostly exclusively hardcore cEDH decks.
THE OLD FRIEND: One of the original members of the group who moved away to a nearby city and despite the fact that he has a car can't be bothered to COME TO THE FUCKING GAME NIGHT YOU FUCK. Mostly plays fun yet powerful decks.

>Thread Question: What reputation does each player in your play group have?

>Salty as fuck guy who makes god awful "tribal" decks out of types that don't actually have tribal support. Mad when his garbage decks lose.

>Salty goblin guy. Decks are decent, some pseudo-net decking. Board wipes piss him off.

>Johnny-incarnate. Plays only what he wants, which, in most cases, is your own spells, also mill. Generally fun to play against.

>Dumb ass. Started playing because he wanted to play with us, and it's nice to have him around some times, and I personally don't mind helping him out. But he will never actually learn anything about Magic. Kitchen table games with normal decks, his will usually have 84 cards in.

>Myself. I don't know. I guess I'm autistic for card games. I'm just glad my friends have fun with this hobby that was pressed on me when I was in second grade.

I mean, do you like making the stack your bitch? Because if so, hell, maybe.

Fuck ... truly a kindred spirit. Well met, Me.

>The Net Decker
Plays cancer combos in a casual playgroup. Gets pissed when called out on it

>The Elitist
Goes stoic while losing. Turns smug and becomes full of himself when he counters someone

>The Ramp-aholic
Plays big monsters and is super laid back

>The Newb
Plays Voltron and is humble when he loses

>The Tribalist
Only plays themed decks. Is me

would fug the last one

Just got together an edh group on my floor, composed of a few people who learned in high school and a newbie we conscripted

>Me: The most experienced of the bunch, played for years until i realized i could sell out of legacy to build a gaming rig. Playing a pretty garbage Hanna deck I had lying around. I often become archenemy just by sheer experience, and end up pulling tons of punches.

>Thing 1: Chick who upgraded a DTK precon into Atarka World Render semi-aggro. Pretty much just plays dudes and hits everyone. Loves nothing more than landing Berserker's Onslaught.

>Thing 2: A bit more experienced. Plays Pharika. Never attacks anyone until she can kill us all at once, will do anything to prevent to protect her life total. Super innocent in real life. Sometimes acts like a cat, which is less cringy than it sounds.

>The other experienced kid: Occasionally borrows my Melek spellslinger deck but mostly sticks to Shadowverse and FoW, despite insisting that anime is garbage. He isn't wrong.

>The newbie: Converted my BFZ precon to Kruphix and let him have it since he enjoyed it the most of my 60-card decks. Only prior experience is Hearthstone but he seems to be enjoying it so far.

These are good feels. Hanging out late at night on the common room floor just cracking jokes and being dumb. I loved being competitive and I still keep up with the Legacy scene, but I wouldn't trade this for the world.

>until i realized i could sell out of legacy to build a gaming rig.
So its like standard but you need to upgrade your video cards every 3 months for $3200
Well played

>upgrade your video cards every 3 months

Just out of curiosity, what decks do you run? I'm wondering if you've managed to get around to anything I've wanted to build but never got around to.

>Necropotence

Fuck that's mean

>Phyrexian Unlife

damn, imagine the return of Zur if he was able to fetch axis for you too.

That's even meaner, god I love Unlife.

Post some spicy stax/tax/punishment cards.

Should I use my Necropotence in Scarab God or Edgar? Scarab has Gary for it to be nice with.

Both, Gary is God.

Woops misread that..as for necropotence I'd probably put it in edgar, since you most likely have more lifelink vampires to offset the lost life.

Only got 1 Necro currently though and I don't like proxying

get into my kambal son

the best part is that you don't have to be either of the 2 players swapping life totals. you can be political as FUC with this

Grixisfag here. How do I creatures? I'm trying to branch out, maybe try something GW, but I don't know where to start.

Anyone got some spicy tech for Grouphug/Gaykings edh?

Scarab for starters, but I would also get it for Edgar. It's definitely a staple

Congratulations. Your Sol Ring pays for itself.

I run that, and in more artifact-heavy decks I run Aura Flux.

Bosh, Iron Golem (Artifact sillyshit)
Wort, the Raidmother (R/G Spellslinger)
Saskia the Unyielding (Shadowborn Apostles)
Rafiq of the Many (Exalted nostalgia)
Mizzix of the Izmagnus (U/R sorta-storm-sorta-spellslinger)
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds (Big Green Timmyshit)
Kozilek, the Great Distortion (Rocks and Eldrazi)
Sram, Senior Edificer (Mountains of cheap equipment)
Sliver Overlord (Slivers)
Cho-Manno, Revolutionary (Stax 'n' taxes Barren Glory win condition)

That's the current stuff I rotate through at game nights anyway

1) Mainly white colored and takes 20 minute turns that everyone hates waiting for
2) Mainly red gotta run optimized decks and don't stop my main theme or I'll target you the entire game
3) Me, who doesn't care about the board state and just plays fun spells and flunges whenever he attacks because why do the math first when the opponent is going to think how I'd do damage assigning anyways.

Mycosynth lattice
>let the games begin

Any Brago tech you folks really love?
Pet stuff or otherwise.

Pretty solid taste in my book. Slivers is actually on my to-do list currently. Barren Glory Cho-Manno sounds dank as hell though, you got a list for that shit?

Admonition Angel
Ancestral Knowledge
Glen Elandra Archmage
River Kelpie

I put this in every Group-hug deck with the proper colors. Either stops others from getting out of control or lets things get crazy. Either way It's always fun.

>The Combo Guy
Never had to design a deck on his own and takes 5 min turns to do anything. If his combo is disrupted, he has to start from point A again.
>The Anti-Control
Cool guy otherwise, but spends a lot of time complaining about how "broken" blue is as a color. Ironically uses blue and doesn't mind when he's winning.
>The Master
Spent nearly 20 years playing and has a ridiculous catalogue of cards. Also build janky decks and tries to figure out the best way to exploit them while attaining maximum value.
>The part-timer
doesn't show up all that often and sometimes forgets her deck. Also has only 1 viable deck that does okay, but seldom wins against anything.
>The Durdle
Spends most of the game chilling and letting everyone do their thing. When nobody anticipates it, he goes off and cleans house.
>Me
Gets salty about being focused by the board despite not being a threat, builds silly stuff (Cats, Phenax Mill, Zur, Merfolk, etc) that can generate threats with the right tools. Despite being a "one-trick pony", includes tons of utility to get around board disruption and threats.

Make sure you follow up with one of the Epic spells.

Don't you only need one?

Yee boi

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/delay-n-pray/

1) Climactic Deck Builder that sticks to a theme or idea no matter how obscure, loves tribes and straightforwardness.

2) Control/Combo Player that pushed for powercreep in the group while becoming the most pay2win player

3) The Pacifist who could have won the game three times over every game but instead passes turn while you brace yourself for nothing.

4) The Borrower doesn't have play his one and only deck much, he can pick up whatever fits at the table and be content.

No, if I want 1 in 2 decks?

Are you going to play them both at the same time?

where can I get a good augustine stax netdeck?

netdecks are on tappedout

R8 my MLD deck!

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-09-17-apocalypse-now/

I dont want some fuckin dorks brew, I want a deck thats got some backing and I cant use mtgtop8 cause those are all 1v1 decks

>I dont want some fuckin dorks brew
Where the fuck do you think you are?

now that's a faggot post

Holy fuck, neck yourself

>asks for netdecks
>I don't want some fuckin dorks brew
You're an oxymoron.

Need cut advice for Kruphix

Trying to not go full UG Goodstuff.dec, focusing on ramp and draw effects, and goofy stuff like X spells and flash.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-09-17-knowledge-is-power/

>O-Ring Barren Glory, blow up the board, and laugh
I fucking love it. Nice to see Null Brooch being used somewhere besides colorless too, I really like that card.

Nobody expects the Renounce/Sacred Rites at the end of someone else's turn either. It's a riot seeing people's eyes widen as they realize the implications as I clear my field and dump my hand.
Null Brooch is entertaining, people in my group tend to forget about it so it catches them by surprise

Quick question for shits and giggles: What's the stupidest, most rule bending deck you've ever talked your group into allowing? Doesn't have to be good at all, just amusing enough to bother posting.
I managed to talk my group into letting me use pic related just on the basis that I got to be my own commander. Never actually built it sadly, but I brewed and tested it and it was actually pretty fun. I also talked them into allowing Joven and Chandler as honorary Partners too, I bet they'd be fun with Mycoshit Lettuce.

I'm using this guy/gal/thing as commander. If nobody bothers removing or countering it, I usually slap an indestructible keyword on it soon after casting. After that I tax everyone to the point where they can't tap lands for mana without dying or some such, and/or outright kill them with a giant fireball effect, all while breaking parity for myself with Tammy and sitting on a buttload of life. Glacial Chasm is amazing in this deck.

I'm trying to talk my group into running nonlegendary commanders. Only one guy is opposed to it, and it's only because he can't fathom changing the rules in any way without it being some kind of excuse to do something, in his words, "OP and busted". The other two of us want to play Havengul Lich and Ankle Shanker.

>using non legendares as commanders
shiggy diggy