Traveller General: Party Edition

Traveller is a classic science fiction system first released in 1977. In its original release it was a general purpose SF system, but a setting was soon developed called The Third Imperium, based on classic space opera tropes of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, with a slight noir tint.
Though it can support a wide range of game types, the classic campaign involves a group of retired veterans tooling around in a spaceship, taking whatever jobs they can find in a desperate bid to stay in business, a la Firefly or Cowboy Bebop.

Previously on Traveller GeneralLibrary Data: Master Archive:
mega.nz/#F!lM0SDILI!ji20XD0i5GTIUzke3iv07Q

Galactic Maps:
travellermap.com/
utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

Resources:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Traveller
zho.berka.com/
travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/
wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
freelancetraveller.com/index.html

Traveller General Homebrew:
pastebin.com/G1kb29aT

Music to Explosive Decompression to:
>Old Timey Space music
youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4&list=RD02FH8lvwXx_Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=w0cbkOm9p1k
youtube.co/watch?v=MDXfQTD_rgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7DJqiYonw&list=PL8DEC72A8939762D4
>Goldsmith - Alien Soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=3lAsqdFJbRc&list=PLpbcquz0Wk__J5MKi66-kr2MqEjG54_6s
>Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still
youtube.com/watch?v=3ULhiVqeF5U
>Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
youtube.com/watch?v=nz1cEO01LLc
>Tangerine Dream - Hyberborea
youtube.com/watch?v=9LOZbdsuWSg
>Brian Bennett - Voyage
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZioqPPugEI

Servers:
Discord:
discord.gg/3bcgzB

Where your travelers ever on a party ?
What does an inter-Empire party look like ?
Bring a Noble along for social events or can your character handle himself ?

Hitting the post limit two threads in a row, I'm actually kinda impressed.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/vVRyWCFm
nexuswiz.com/
discord.gg/5FG3kt
pastebin.com/Bw6qVWfu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Realise that with traveller and flynns guide to magic i can run a fully functional fantasy game with it.

>Realise that with travellers flexible nature, things like levels or new medival careers can be easily added

>Realise that traveller, my first system i bought also hits my sweet spot the most.

>Realise i will never need to use another system, unless i want to.

Why does it feel so good fellow travelers ?

So I just joined a game any my stats are all over the place. 894CE5 I went to University and got into an intelligence agency, and expected to just coast on my high INT. I snake eysed an advance roll, so I had to leave and ended up in the Merchant Marines. The GM is introducing me by saying the shipping line was a shell company and I never really left the agency, and they need me again.

Long story short, I have no idea what skills I should pick up. I was looking at astrogation, comms, grav suit, and science. High skills are Computers 2, Medic 1, Pilot 1, Deception 1.

Pic related, party uses a modified scout ship. Our pilot got it from the scouts after he had a nervous breakdown. Not the call I would have made, since he went to prison afterword.

>tfw you love space opera and sci fi, but none of your friends feel the same way
>tfw the only game they want is D&D
>tfw the closest to sci fi they get is Gurren Lagann or Rick and Morty

>tfw the only game they want is D&D
>tfw the closest to sci fi they get is Gurren Lagann or Rick and Morty

Shit man, i feels sorry for you.
But a sci-fi game ispired by TTGL sounds kinda rad actually.

Also, rick and morty = sci-fi
What ? I mean, TTGL is still somewhat close to space opera in the second arc (completely balls to the walls tho).

They didn't like the second half of TTGL, aside from the final battle. They usually, when rewatching it, end at the Lordgenome fight. And they just watch Rick and Morty for the "humor", viewing the setting as auxiliary.

Actually, try to spoon feed them with space dandy
Animu as hell but also very pulpy sci-fi.
Or Code geas, flashy animu robots duking it out and just as flashy characters. Uses a lot of sci-fi elements, future nobles and psyonic bullshit powers.
Don't have any better suggestions tho.

One of them tried getting into Space Dandy because they saw some memes, but felt it was too bland of a setting. Code Geass might work - they all loved Death Note. One of them is currently watching through G Gundam, and I've convinced him to give other Gundams a try since he liked it so much.

Gundam 00 has Space elevators as main plot point.
>One of them tried getting into Space Dandy because they saw some memes, but felt it was too bland of a setting
>They didn't like the second half of TTGL, aside from the final battle. They usually, when rewatching it, end at the Lordgenome fight. And they just watch Rick and Morty for the "humor", viewing the setting as auxiliary.

Well the setting IS auxiliary.
But user i have bad news the diagnosis came in and your friends are plebs
Good thing it won't affect their day to day life
But your only hope is that they will better themselve.

>Why does it feel so good fellow travelers ?

Because "house ruling" and "home brewing" are fun. You get to tailor a game to your specific needs and Classic was designed from the first to be "house ruled" and "home brewed".

There's a guy at COTI who mentions using Traveller back in the early 80s to run a 1930s, pulp, Indiana Jones style campaign. He says he used it because a the time it was the only RPG he had rules for which had guns, trucks, planes, etc. He just capped TL, used psionics as magic, and essentially ran everything RAW. It was that fucking easy.

I know that they're plebs, but that's how things go sometimes. The one I've started on Gundam has the most potential. I think he mentioned that he's going to start watching through the Macross series soon.

>The GM is introducing me by saying the shipping line was a shell company and I never really left the agency, and they need me again.

That's a really nice "fumble recovery" on both your parts. The intel career the PC was best suited for cratered thanks to the dice but you two simply shifted the PC into an "Air America" gig. You let the die roll stand and instead "thought' around it. Kudos.

>Long story short, I have no idea what skills I should pick up.

Go for some more ship skills, any ship skills. You can already pilot and computer is helpful, so I'd try or astrogation, vacc suit, engineering, etc. And get a weapon skill in there too. Something a "spook" would be trained on like a body pistol.

Updated pastebin
pastebin.com/vVRyWCFm
Yeah, they plebs. They think the setting is bland because they are flat-out ignoring it. Why? Because it is distinctly different enough from our own world that they can't connect to it. Now, TTGL has giant robots (and titties? I dunno, I didn't watch it. No cable and I was too busy watching Uchuu no Stellvia and Full Metal Panic), so they can ignore the disconnect they have from the setting because awesome.
In short, they don't like it, because they can't comprehend it quickly, and therefore will dismiss it as an issue, rather than admit the issue is them.
I bet they boast about the results of their IQ test all the time too.

>>tfw you love space opera and sci fi, but none of your friends feel the same way
>>tfw the only game they want is D&D

Follow the example of "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" and put them in a sci-fi adventure/campaign seen through a D&D fantasy lens. They may like it enough to switch.

So what would you say is the primary difference between Eclipse Phase and Traveler?

>and titties?
One of the main characters is well-known for her chest.
>I bet they boast about the results of their IQ test all the time too.
Only one does, and he's the one who tried watching Space Dandy. Ironically, he has the most pleb-tier tastes: He watches American Dad and One Piece

That's actually similar to what I'm setting up - a sci-fi setting literally disguised as a fantasy setting (interplanetary empire of sentient machines uses synthetic skin/hologram projectors to appear to be the noble kingdom and the angels, and have kept the planet the players start on as a medieval fantasy world so that they can observe the unstable spatial rifts forming under the veneer of "angels guarding hellgates"; there's a colony of aliens that the kingdom portrays as a Mordor-like hellscape to deter people from investigating)

your hiding something Traveller fags. Spill it!

Your setting sounds awesome. 10/10, would play.

pay me money to hang out with you.

One of them is bad and the other isn't.

Letting the dice stand in Traveller is part of the fun, there's a lot of cool quirks in the party form it. Our pilot was caught in a prison break, but was released the next term. That guy totally snitched. I really thought about Scholar or Navy but I have a soft spot for Merchant Marine.

I have Gun Combat and Melee 0 and 9 dex, but that will have to improve. I just realized i need Recon and Investigation. Yes, a government spook with no investigative skill. They gave me a free gun, and it's hard to resist the ACR. Looking at the sniper rifle and autopistol with silencer for guns, Cloth/Protec armor, and a stealth dagger.

my dads buddy recently bought a fantastic yellow Toyota Camry just by part-time work from a
home pc... see more......nexuswiz.com/

Eclipse Phase is Call of Cthulhu IN SPACE, with a veneer of transhumanism, a specific setting, and a lot of the creator's politics mixed in (they have flat-out stated that they will not support certain character types on the basis of the politics that those character hold).
Traveller has no transhumanism - technology has added a lot of capabilities, but the primary factor is in the people using them, is actually rather generic (with in its genre, but the base rules can be used for just about everything), and places no limits on the type of characters you can play, since the PC's opinions and politics have no effect on the character sheet.

dammit man, everytime i think there is something here, it disappears. Why can't I make a connection with somebody?

>Yes, a government spook with no investigative skill.

He could be analyst, the guy who puts together the pieces other spooks uncover. There's more than one flavor of spook working in intel.

>Traveller has no transhumanism - technology has added a lot of capabilities, but the primary factor is in the people using them,

That's a good point. Transhumanism is there, it's just taken for granted. There are plenty of genetically altered humans adapted for various environments and plenty of uplifted species too. Where "we" would be amazed at a cybernetic hand or eye, "they" would just see it as an every day prosthesis. Where "we" would point at the transhuman "fishman" or uplifted bear, "they" would just see another minor race.

It's the same with robots. Robots are everywhere and thus go unremarked. "We" would be amazed at the OMG ROBOT taxis and cargo handlers while "they" would just think of both as ordinary cabs and forklifts.

Wow, I guess Veeky Forums are getting more popular if a POS spammer posts in one.

So to them, the fantastic is mundane and the mundane fantastic?

I never really enjoyed space opera. Star Wars never really 'clicked'. I always watched things like Logan's Run or the Black Hole.

I don't really like being rude and disruptive, but on Veeky Forums it is a cultural requirement.

So Traveler is like television in the future, dull, witless and lame. It doesn't remind them of the dangers or esotera of modern life, it provides them with consistancy and hope.

Traveller's more the latter anyway.

what people need is little positivism in their lives. They can't approach every entertainment medium as some sort of dramatic instrument of divine will. They need to establish themes of consistency and hope. Popular fiction needs to be dull by necessity.

That's a good way to put it. It's also a good way to "shock" your players. Traveller grognards call it a "We're not in Kansas" moment.

You present something which is utterly fantastic to their 2017 eyes and utterly blase in the eyes of the people in the setting.

Look at D&D an healing spells. A fighter has a nasty gash on his arm from an orc's sword, a cleric lays his hands on it, chants a few words, and - PRESTO! - the wound is healed and the arm is whole maybe leaving a scar. That's completely fucking fantastic and would shock ever living shit out of us if we saw it in real life.

Now take Traveller. The players land, get all the clearances they need, and arrange for stevedores to unload the hold. The "stevedores" show up and it's two guy with a half dozen grav fork trucks. The guys check the paper work then speak to the fork trucks telling what to do, which containers to pick up, and where to go. Again, that's completely fantastic to us and completely normal to them.

If some PC were to say "Those robot fork trucks are amazing" the NPC stevedore would reply "WTF are you talking about? I've been doing this every day for 20 fucking years."

so the characters need to be relatable. If you have fantastic circumstances, you need to contrast that with ordinary people.

That too is a good way to approach it.

I feel that stevedore - I'm a stagehand, and people go "that's so cool!" and all I say is "Yeah, it's a pretty awesome job" while all the shifts blur together and I forget what department I was in the last time that tour was here.
But if those guys, on that one show that I can't remember (but I was in video!) show up again and want us to just sit on our asses...
I'll just take an extra break, if they don't want us within 5 feet of their precious vid wall.

>That's actually similar to what I'm setting up

I should have known you'd figured it out already.

>Our pilot was caught in a prison break, but was released the next term. That guy totally snitched

Again, a great job by the referee and player. They took the results of that die roll and, instead of just mailing it in, actually enriched the PC with the results. The PC went nuts, went to prison because of that, snitched, got out of prison because of that, and now has both a lot of "baggage" plus some enemies looking for him.

>I feel that stevedore - I'm a stagehand, and people go "that's so cool!" and all I say is "Yeah, it's a pretty awesome job" while all the shifts blur together and I forget what department I was in the last time that tour was here.

Exactly. You "grok" the concept - what's mundane for you is amazing for others. Now weave that insight into your game to give your players those "We're Not In Kansas" moments.

The fastest way to make the fantastic mundane is to do it for money.

On a side note, pilots get paid a shit ton per month. Like, fly a ship for six months, then go home to a small mansion and a hooker every night for the next six.

Things we find mundane are often things we are not aware of.

>On a side note, pilots get paid a shit ton per month.

True. Pilots make at least 6K CrImps a month (and the Imperial calendar has 13 months in a year) plus 10% for every skill level over 1. An off-shore oil rig type of work schedule with that amount of money is completely plausible. Classic lists a few types of food/housing costs and 6K a month would cover the best with cash to spare.

However, what you've either failed to remember or haven't comprehended is that pilots make all that money IF someone has formerly hired them. The usual MO for player groups is to forego crew salaries in return for a share of the profits. Now, if a patron has chartered their ships or they're crewing a subsidized merchant or it's some other situation in which they're working full time for a 3rd party instead of themselves, salaries are going to be paid.

While PCs are usually hired for various one-time jobs, being hired "full time" is the exception rather than the rule.

jump-1

>Because "house ruling" and "home brewing" are fun.

Yes, yes they are, but only if the system is
comprehensible.
Look at the spergfest that's DnD and they treat deeper homebrewing like it's some form of cancer... cancer-cancer if you want so.

Gundam and Macross are actually kinda good, most of it anyway.
Both of them have always a deeper message they want to bring over to the viewer without spoonfeeding him and try at least some technobabble sci.fi.

>went to check out archives to see if 2e Drinax stuff was up
>it is
>so is a few things I wrote, including the Irish-class.
That's flattering and all, but it's still (badly made) fan-work (though probably still better edited than Mongoose. Have you seen the typos in HG:Aslan 2e?). Will it confuse people if it's in the main 2e folder? Anyway, going to have a look at the Drinax stuff and see what's changed.

So first impressions on 2e Drinax, just because. Obviously, there's a lot of copypasta from 1e, though the new art's nice. Let's compare the new Harrier to its 1e version:

The Harrier's still TL15 (so no prototype hyperdrives for those itching to break the system before it even begins), but there's been some fairly significant changes to her:
- thrust is up to 6 from 5 (appropriate)
- new Harrier now has SUPERIOR STEALTH, an enormous advantage (despite cost savings elsewhere, this has made her 50% more expensive than her 1e counterpart)
- her jump drive, while only jump 2, has Stealth Jump, making her exceptionally good at this pirating business.
- she has a new jamming suite, though a weaker computer (20 less bandwidth)
- holographic hull, because, why not?
- the new improvements means her cargo space is down (to 29.7 dtons from 43.75), though the smaller fuel load (42 from 60) doesn't affect performance of her drives.

All-in-all the new Harrier's got quite a lot going for it, and would make a fantastic long-term ship. Its Superior Stealth alone now gives much more context as to why Oleb entrusts the ship to pirating operations. Now if only there was a way for the crew to keep the ship permanently and not have to return it to the King...

pic unrelated

Rolling Up A PC - Classic (CT81)

C(!) 7 8 3 6 8

UPP: 67C883

Scouts
Enlist - +7 (+1 DM for INT)
Roll - 7(+1) 8 Succeed

1st Term
Survival - +7 (+2 for END)
Roll - 12(+2) 14 Succeed
Skills (2 per term)
Pilot-1 automatic service skill
Personal Dev - 5, +1 EDU
Advanced Ed - 4, Computer-1
Reenlist - +3
Roll - 5 Succeed

2nd Term
Roll - 5(+2) 7 Succeed
Skills (2 per term)
Service Skill - 4, Navigaton-1
Education - 1, Vehicle (grav)-1
Reenlist - +3
Roll - 6 Succeed

3rd Term
Roll - 7(+2) 9 Succeed
Skills (2 per term)
Service Skill - 4, Navigation-2
Advanced Ed - 6, JoaT-1
Reenlist - +3
Roll - 9 Succeed

4th Term
Roll - 9(+2) 11 Succeed
Skills (2 per term)
Personal Dev - 1, +1 STR
Education Ed - 1, Vehice(grav)-2
Aging - 9, 7, 11 - no aging
Muster Out, forced to reenlist on 12
Roll - 5 Succeed
Mustering Rolls 4
Benefits - 4, 5, & 3
Blade(dagger)-1, Gun(rifle)-1, +2 EDU
Cash - 4
30K CrImp

Ex-Scout 77C8B3 Age 34 30K CrImp

Navigation-2, Vehicle(grav)-2, Dagger-1, Computer-1, JoaT-1, Pilot-1. Rifle-1

Got lucky with those late weapon skills when mustering out. Rolled as much as allowed on the Benefits trying for just that.

>would make a fantastic long-term ship

Repair it.

The discord link is dead.

discord.gg/5FG3kt

>Now if only there was a way for the crew to keep the ship permanently and not have to return it to the King...

You're PIRATES, PIRATE that shit!

cool looking ship, even if it is unrelated

Well yeah, that's the implication. Plus, he essentially dies without player intervention in the second-to-last adventure anyway.

I have to say that the new Harrier's much better thought out (and possibly edited) than a lot of the material MgT2e has pushed out. Most of the mechanics in that e-book seems to be ported over from 1e fairly well, at least on first pass-through. Even the Aslan stuff seems okay-ish (even if it is upwards of 98% copypasta)

Who knows when i'll actually get to play/ref it, but the campaign should be pretty fun.

Hello traveller general,

I'm searching for a supplement for MgT 1e which had renaissance careers.

Some normie friends and I want to run a rpg game, but traveler is what I'm most comfortable with but they insisted "but muh fantasy adventure".
So we settled on a Castelvania style short campaign.
And all that it entails, giant castle, demons, undead, anachronistic stuff, nazi skeletons
And the book could help with creating fitting careers for the presumed time period (early renaissance).

Maybe they will even have enough fun so that I can sneak in Draculas magi-tech spaceship and keep running.

Oh trust me the whole game is pretty fun.

Had refd one myself but the group died the slew dead because of work and family.

Just remind the players that it's not a wise idea for starter pirates to go hunting on high tech worlds that lie on trade routes.
Have seen that idea more than once and never via infiltration party, always with the plan to use brute force.

I'm aware there was a third party splat for MGT1 with roughly renaissance-era equipment and careers, but I've never seen a scan, and I can't even remember the name.

FUCK YOU RHYLANOR! IF YOU'RE DUMB ENOUGH TO BUY A SHIP THIS WEEKEND, YOU'RE A DUMB ENOUGH SHMUTZ TO COME TO BIG BILL HELL'S SHIPS! BAD DEALS, SHIPS THAT MISJUMP, CHIRPERS! IF YOU THINK YOUR GOING TO FIND A BARGAIN AT BIG BILL'S, YOU CAN KISS MY ASS! IT'S OUR BELIEF THAT YOU'RE SUCH A STUPID MOTHERFUCKER YOU'LL FALL FOR THIS BULLSHIT GUARANTEED! IF YOU FIND A BETTER DEAL, YOU CAN SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY ASS, YOU HEARD US RIGHT, SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY ASS! BRING YOUR TRADE, BRING YOUR TITLE, BRING YOUR WIFE, WE'LL FUCK HER! THAT'S RIGHT WE'LL FUCK YOUR WIFE! BECAUSE AT BIG BILL HELL'S, YOU'RE FUCKED SIX WAYS FROM SUNDAY! TAKE A HIKE TO BIG BILL HELL'S! HOME OF CHALLENGE PISSING, THAT'S RIGHT, CHALLENGE PISSING. HOW DOES IT WORK? IF YOU CAN PISS 6 FEET IN THE AIR STRAIGHT AND NOT GET WET, YOU GET 1D6 SHIP SHARES. DON'T WAIT, DON'T DELAY, DON'T FUCK WITH US OR WE'LL RIP YOUR NUTS OFF! ONLY AT BIG BILL HELL'S, THE ONLY DEALER THAT TELLS YOU TO FUCK OFF. HURRY UP, ASSHOLE! THIS EVENT ENDS THE MINUTE YOU WRITE US A CHECK AND IT BETTER NOT BOUNCE OR YOU'RE A DEAD MOTHERFUCKER. GO TO HELL. BIG BILL HELL'S SHIPS, RHYLANOR'S FILTHIEST AND EXCLUSIVE HOME OF THE MEANEST SONS OF BITCHES IN THE SPINWARD MARCHES, GUARANTEED!!

This is going in my campaign now, thanks user

anyone ever play an Aslan? How was it different than a human?

Since the Aslan are intentionally one of the easier races to grasp and play, they run from mostly Western human with a quirk to full 1600 Samurai with more than the usual thirst for land.

If you aim for TNG Klingon with a real estate fetish you won't be far off.

Ah, the only one I can think of is Adventurer, which is in the trove - Mongoose 2008, Settings - Other
Also, grab Flynn's Guide to Magic.

There was a third party splatbook for MGT1 that had ~17th century tech and careers for backwater worlds or historical games, but I don't recall the name. I'm pretty sure that's what he's looking for. I remember seeing it mentioned on a Traveller blog somewhere.

Well, I'm looking. Adventurer started off as a blog, and I found a few others (that'll I need to buy). I'll just need someone to scrub the watermarks.

Was it Netherell?

Eh, buying can wait a while. I need to shepherd this paycheck for another two weeks, and hope the next one is bigger.
It won't be - fucking event based schedules

>All-in-all the new Harrier's got quite a lot going for it, and would make a fantastic long-term ship.

No it doesn't and no it won't. The major problems with both versions of the Drinax relic ships are maintenance and repairs.

The TL15 relics were originally built with Sindalian tech, not Imperial tech. Not Zho, Darrian, Sword World, Aslan, Florian, or any other tech either. Expecting Sindalian tech to seamlessly "fit" with any other is like expecting metric and SAE parts to be interchangeable. While the relics were partially retrofitted with Imperial parts and systems over the centuries, the "interface" between old and newer systems should cause problems.

This maintenance/repair blindspot is similar to the one seen in D&D with horses. Many groups treat horses like perpetual motion motorcycles. They "park" them outside the dungeon, murderhobo for a few days, and return to mount up with no concerns about fodder, water, exercise, etc.

There's more to maintaining and repairing a ship than paying the annual maintenance costs and waiting two weeks for the work to be done, let alone maintaining and repairing a ship which is centuries old and built with non-standard tech.

Keeping the ship and her many cutting edge systems in working order should be an important part of the PoD campaign. While Mongoose was too stupid and/or lazy to realize and/or develop that idea, that doesn't mean you need to be stupid and/or lazy too.

Yeah, you'll need to improvise parts. My suggestion: grab the Reverse-Engineering rules from the 1st edition of Central Supply Catalogue (rules Mongoose has failed to bring over... Hmm...).
Yes, those rules are usable.
Next, make sure you have access to a workshop, and a research lab... So you can run "Aid another" checks to get bonuses to the final reverse-engineering check.
Oh, and you say it's a fine ship... But your spare parts are KCr200 per ton...

Try Worlds Apart, which I think is similar
pastebin.com/Bw6qVWfu

>Yeah, you'll need to improvise parts

Yes, exactly. I'm not suggesting that, just because parts and repairs need to be improvised, the PoD campaign does not work or that groups shouldn't run it. Far from it actually.

I am suggesting that the need to improvise parts, manufacture one-off parts, jury rig repairs, and the like presents great adventure opportunities to the referee and great roleplaying opportunities to the players.

Look at some of the tech improvements the 2e Harrier sports. That great EM jamming suite? What happens if that system fails before a raid which depends on it? Stealth jump ability? (Whatever the FUCK that is.) Again, what if a planned mission needs that? Weapons, the holographic hull, stealth, drives, the power plant, even life support, the list of systems with potential issues is long and crammed full of adventure opportunities.

The players shouldn't be handed a pristine ship and then jump off to raise merry hell without a care in the world. Even PoD1e makes a nod to that with it's list of damaged systems aboard. Repairs shouldn't be always permanent ones however.

After getting parts for their initially non-functioning particle accelerator turret, the players shouldn't dismiss all concerns about that turret. The parts used aren't really the same as the parts needed and any repairs should afterward be treated with caution.

There's a lot of game play to be had in nursing along a centuries old "super' ship full of non-standard parts and jury rigged repairs. Hopefully groups will see the possibilities and not treat PoD's ships like horses in D&D.

Yeah 2e splits the entire thing into 3 books, and the second one tells you about the Harrier.
It actually talks about the damaged systems, but allows characters to trade ship shares for repairs to those systems.
Yeah, it's interesting. And also a hunk of junk, technically speaking.
But yes, non-permanent repairs as the characters try to fix the ship with parts that don't fit, parts they jury-rigged, parts that sort-of-fit but don't exactly do the right thing, and stuff they flat-out built - that's a great series of plot hooks.

>It actually talks about the damaged systems, but allows characters to trade ship shares for repairs to those systems.

So Mongoose raises the possibility only to follow the path of least resistance and issue a "get out of jail free" card? Typical Mongoose.

You'd think the lazy fucks would actually use their OWN reverse engineering rules from CSC to enhance the PoD campaign, but that was too much work apparently.

>But yes, non-permanent repairs as the characters try to fix the ship with parts that don't fit, parts they jury-rigged, parts that sort-of-fit but don't exactly do the right thing, and stuff they flat-out built - that's a great series of plot hooks.

Absolutely. It would make the sessions more intense and memorable too. The jamming suite goes down. Can we fix it in time? Should call off the raid? What about any allies or "sleepers" planning on us making the raid? Throw them under the bus or warn them somehow?

That's much better than "Super Relic jumps in, attacks with impunity, grabs loot, and jumps away. Wash, Rinse, Repeat". You might as well be following the "open door, cast fireball, close door, repeat as often as necessary" style of play.

>So Mongoose raises the possibility only to follow the path of least resistance and issue a "get out of jail free" card? Typical Mongoose.

Hey, i hate mongoose as much as the next poster, but i think it's a nice mechanic to use resources for the game you might not find a need for otherwise, because the harrier is prettty dope.

I'm just a bit angry that the only way to fix the ship is throwing money at it.
All in all Garteth did some fairly good work for it, considering it's for mongoose.

> i think it's a nice mechanic

It's not a mechanic, it's brain dead shortcut and an easy way to ignore what should be one of the focuses of the campaign. It's nothing but a slot labeled "To keep jumping, insert money here".

>because the harrier is prettty dope.

The Harrier is a good mcguffin. However, it could have been a great mcguffin with just a little effort on the part of Mongoose.

The Harrier is several centuries old. It was built for a pocket empire which no longer exists and at a TL which can no be longer supported. It's components were manufactured to blueprints which no longer exist in factories which disappeared centuries ago. The ship itself was assembled in a shipyard which also disappeared centuries ago and by workers whose very bones are dust.

Keeping the ancient Harrier flying well enough to act as a privateer SHOULD HAVE BEEN the focus of PoD. They players should have been faced with a constant dilemma between making repairs and making raids. They need the money to raids bring to keep the ship in repair but the need the repairs to keep the ship raiding.

Instead they're presented with a get of jail free card in the form of "Insert ship shares here to ignore the fact that the Harrier is several centuries old".

>I'm just a bit angry that the only way to fix the ship is throwing money at it.

Which is exactly my point. Half of what should have been in the campaign was simply hand waved away.

>All in all Garteth did some fairly good work for it, considering it's for mongoose.

I suspect he deliberately "dumbed down" the campaign knowing Mongoose would "edit" it that way anyways. He knew the people cutting the check and wrote accordingly.

>it's brain dead shortcut
As you clearly don't even bother to read the material you dismiss, both the MgT 1e and 2e PoD use this mechanic as a way of dealing with ship shares (as they are otherwise not used in the campaign). The ship will *still* have plenty of problems regardless.

And, as to your original complaint back in , it's a bit silly to compare maintenance of a TL15 ship on a TL13 or 14 world to taking care of a horse.

Even today, none of us code in Assembly or other machine language any longer. Dumb machines do that better and optimize better than we possibly can. And that's at TL7. Now, I know, angry user, that your comments are consistently stuck in the 1970s, but speculatively at even TL11 you would expect even rudimentary AI to take care of a huge number of integration problems, wouldn't you?

It's the same with horses. Your adventurers *could* spend the effort taking them out to graze, balancing their diets, and keeping them well exercised, or they could pay (or even not pay, considering) some squire or stablehand to do it for them while they concentrate on the adventuring bit.

Of course, if you want to focus your campaign on the need for human determination to make repairs, that's fine. But really, man, the 1970s is almost 50 years ago.

And I might as well preempt your complaints about physical integration issues rather than one of just software: It's not an issue. Surely your crew has allowed the AI to take your vehicle down to the local replication factory that can, at the very least, parts-form a spare or suitable replacement for a part.

Here's the thing: a well designed system, especially after TL11 introduction of 'true' AI (however you want to describe that as), would obviously have failsafe operations in its systems. Instead of failing, it would simply not run.

You don't crash a client server for thousands of its customers just because one guy enters incorrect data. The non-intelligent TL7 code recognizes this and does some error-checking work, while keeping everything else running. At TL13 or 14? Of course that would be standard with everything.

>The ship will *still* have plenty of problems regardless.

Which are still all but ignored.

>it's a bit silly to compare maintenance of a TL15 ship on a TL13 or 14 world to taking care of a horse.

It's the mindset I was comparing, not the job.

>speculatively at even TL11 you would expect even rudimentary AI to take care of a huge number of integration problems, wouldn't you?

I would, especially seeing how integration problems are part of my day job. However, like wisely points out, I'd expect to see failsafe results where the system in question simply doesn't run or even power up because integration is either incomplete or cannot currently be done.

>they could pay (or even not pay, considering) some squire or stablehand to do it for them while they concentrate on the adventuring bit.

My point was that many D&D groups don't even bother to do that. Horses a perpetual motion machines parked for days and weeks at a time only to run perfectly when the PCs need them.

As for parts & repairs being part of adventures or the reason behind adventures, I'm not expecting the players to sort wrenches and count MOSFETs. I am expecting the players to have more interest in and put more effort towards keeping a centuries old ship flying than just saying "Didn't we give you money for that?"

>Which are still all but ignored.
Ignore is probably too strong a word. You would require a total of 16 ship shares to restore just the the lower TL damaged parts (such as a particle turret), and it explicitly states (p. 13 in 2e) that repair costs cannot be reduced by ship shares due to TL difference.

>"Didn't we give you money for that?"
That's certainly understandable, and not as glazed over in MgT's PoD as you suggest. It's still not central to the campaign, especially for intrepid crews that will manage to hulk the Treasure Ship a few adventures in.

So, speaking of the new Pirates of Drinax, how are people finding the updated Aslan rules. Personally, apart from the usual lack of editing (duelist spelled with two 'L's', Mongoose, really? All you had to do was copypaste what you wrote in 1e.), the mechanics seems to be ported over fairly competently.

- The assassin career's been merged with career military officers, which is fine
- Secret schools are still in, though I believe it's missing a small sidenote (I'll check when I get home)
- Aslan armor and battle dress is of a lower protection rating than would be expected of the 1e to 2e conversion rates.
- The Taoyuhrir heavy MG's a nice addition (not as ridiculously unbalanced as the stuff in the short Mercenaries e-book), just on the cusp of being fairly deadly to light, unarmored vehicles, but not too ridiculous.

Well this wan't what i was initially looking for but it's pretty good, thanks user.

Yeah that was the one i was looking for.

>Also, grab Flynn's Guide to Magic.
I'm on it, that thing looks to good to miss out.

>It's still not central to the campaign

Considering that the Harrier is central to the campaign and considering the Harrier's age and other unique circumstances, the need to keep her flying until you make the Big Score which magically cures all ills, concern for repairs beyond "I'll give you a check" SHOULD be central to the campaign.

I think that's part of KCr200/ton for spare parts.

>Mercenaries E-book
Where

Rolling Up A PC with Classic (CT81)

UPP - 489C56 (Boxcars again!)

Chose Merchants as an INT of C gives me DMs on enlisting, survival, commission, and promotion.

Merchants - Enlist +7 (+2 for INT)
Roll - 5(+2) 7 - Just made it!

1st Term
Survival - +5 (+2 for INT)
Roll - 10(+2) 12 Survive
Commission - +4 (+1 for INT)
Roll - 7(+1) 8 Commissioned as 4th Officer
Promotion - +10 (+1 for INT)
Roll - 9(+1) 10 Promoted to 3rd Officer
Reenlist - +4
Roll - 6 Success
Skills - 4 skills: 2 for 1st term, one each for "comm & prom"
Can't roll on +8 EDU Adv Education table
Personal Dev - 3, +1 END
Service Skill - 1, Vehicle(grav)-1
Adv Education - 4, JoaT-1
Adv Education - 2, Mechanical-1

2nd Term
Survival - +5 (+2 for INT)
Roll - 4(+2) 6 Survive
Promotion - +10 (+1 for INT)
Roll - 3(+1) 4 No promotion
Reenlist - +4
Roll - 2 Fail
Skills - 1 skill for term
Service Skill - 4, Navigation-1

Muster out - 3 rolls, 2 for terms, 1 for Rank
Benefits - 5, Gun(shotgun)-1
Benefits - 1, Low Passage
Cash - 5, 50K CrImps

Ex-Merchant 3rd Officer 48AC56 Age 26 50K CrImp
JoaT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-1, Shotgun-1, Vehicle(grav)-1

Not too bad. Failing to reenlist after teh second term hurt. Navigation is always in demand as is being able to drive grav vehicles. JoaT and Mech add some versatility. Getting a weapon skill on the Benefits table definitely helped. The PC also has some money they can add to a group's speculative trading fund.

>Where

Archive

is the harrier still a bird of prey?

It's a type of hawk, so yes.

I meant the klingon bird of prey, they describe it as a klingon bird of prey in the first edition book

>they describe it as a klingon bird of prey in the first edition book

Jesus H. Titty Fucking Christ. I'd forgotten that, so thanks for reminding me.

For an encore why don't you give me a paper cut and pout lemon juice on it?

Fucking Mongoose.

Well, not exactly a bird of prey, but enough that anyone with even a passing knowledge of trek would know it was a bird of prey

Not a fan of mongoose I take it?

Hardly anybody is around here.

Pirates of Drinax any good?

What about Secrets of the Ancients?

No idea about SotA, but it was already an adventure for CT, so it might be pretty good.

PoD is fine, and works well. A bit cheesy when it comes to the style with your flying historical art piece but that might be just the style you want, or you could just change it.

SOTA Mongoose is different from SOTA Classic it adds a bit where you go and help Grandfather fight one of his children

Traveller, one day will be the day where you have to fight your fellow man.
Not the robot
Not the alien
But a member of humaniti like you.

Once that day comes, what tools will you want and which will you need ?
How do you protect yourself from his attacks ?
And what is the knowledge you will give to the young travellers, with a soarkel in their eyes and a mostly new ship, unlike your weary old bones ?

grandfather is a liar and you know it

>And what is the knowledge you will give to the young travellers, with a soarkel in their eyes and a mostly new ship, unlike your weary old bones?

Beware the old man in the profession where men die young

>one day will be the day where you have to fight your fellow man.

SHOOT HIM IN THE BACK!

But what if, you know, he has eyes on his back ?
Science is crazy man, i tell you.