ITT: Overrated Settings

Starting the thread with the most obvious one.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_(web_serial)
goodreads.com/book/show/18713259-worm
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?682837-Worm-Bet-the-Alternate-Thread-The-Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy-Still-Sucks-Though&p=16723029#post16723029
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have no idea what this is, and the most overrated setting is Warhammer 40,000, so you've failed on two accounts, user.

This. I don't understand how can this even be a thing.

Whats that?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_(web_serial)

It is like bad fanfiction that is somehow popular.

spbp

Worm is highly overrated.

I disagree.

It was pretty gud.

What is bad about the story?

Veeky Forums just dislikes everything out of it's autistic desire for promoting absolute contrarianism. Worm is excellent. Kino even for the first half but goes into a vague slump in the middle before going back up to great.

Also there is the whole ongoing spat/skirmish about whether worm is actually a postsable subject matter in Veeky Forums due to it having an RPG made in it's name/being a setting to discuss vs it actually being /co/apesh/lit/.

goodreads.com/book/show/18713259-worm

Growing up in non-English speaking country, it was quite a shock when i realized that this forgettable garbage have an extensive dedicated fanbase.

/pol/ wouldn't like worm because the main character (who is female and white) has sex with a black man.

>Star Wars has no dedicated fan base outside English-speaking countries.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how deluded are you?

Is this setting even rated?

>"start with the most overrated"
> doesnt start with 40keks
> such failure

What third world shitpile do you live in?

Is this a lame attempt at advertisment?

It's slightly overrated as a story. It's nowhere near bad, but it gets much more praise that it deserves (and this is coming from someone who actually likes Worm).
As a setting, however, Worm is fucking great. It is a perfect representation of how society would look with superhumans, and works around or explains all the usual cliches/tropes that superhero settings have. It's only weakness as a setting is the Entities.

>before going back up the great
And then fucking up the ending.

/pol/ would love Worm because the Fascists are interesting, compelling, and relatable characters. They're the most relatable villains in the story, main characters not withstanding.

Eclipse Phase

A shitty knockoff of Transhuman Space where they added shitty political garbage and cartoonish psychic powers. Oh, and a crap system.

Go to Spacebattles and tell me it's not overrated.

Spacebattles isn't the way it is because Worm is a good story. It's that way because Worm is a phenomenal setting.

>a phenomenal setting.
Grimdark is garbage.

It is, but that's easy to change, especially for fanfiction. The rest of the setting though? That's flawless.

>extensive
>extensive
Sure as fuck not here. it is a household name, alongside with Die Hard / Lethal Weapon / Judge Dread and other stuff from back then. But no one would seriously go around calling himself "A fan of Star Wars" in any other sense than "I watched the movies a few times, it's pretty cool"
Knowing anything at all about expanded universe if pretty rare. What would be considered star wars fandom in the west is obscure as fuck.

>It's ameritards/eurocentrists meet the world episode

>That's flawless.
>proving 's point this hard

I meant flawless in an actual sense. As in, it has no flaws. It does exactly what it sets out to do, and it does it without issue.

You could say that about pretty much anything.

>/eurocentrists
>west
You're the one who started with "non-English speaking country" m8. Last I checked, English-speaking European countries are a tiny minority. Should've just started with "western countries" right away you subhuman.

Firstly, that's debatable. Most settings are flawed, at least a little.

Secondly, so?

So your statement has zero substance, dummy.

Are you actually fucking retarded or just pretending? What are you even talking about? Do i have to post a map saying HEY I'M FROM ONE OF THE GREY COUNTRIES and Star Wars isn't a big deal here. Just so you dumb shit won't get tangled in your own retardation?

Then allow me to reiterate myself.

With the exception of the grimdark/cosmology, Worm is a phenominal setting. It is without flaw, unlike many other settings. It attempts to make a superhero setting that logical and internally consistent, and it does this better than any other setting's attempt to do this. For all of these reasons, Worm (as a setting) is not overrated, and deserves all the praise it gets.

>with the exception of these flaws, this setting is without flaw

Yes, and those flaws don't matter to the broader argument. You're saying that worm is overrated because it's grimdark, and I'm saying that Worm doesn't receive praise because it's grimdark; it receives praise for literally everything else in its setting. This is why it has a mountain of fanficiton, all of it much less grimdark than the original.

>Worm (as a setting) is not overrated
It's just Aberrant but edgier you fruitcake, stop sucking its dick.

Not any of the original anons but you claimed anyone who isn't from an English speaking country is a eurocentrist or is an ameritard. Look at your own map and locate a country that isn't the UK & Ireland that speaks English is Europe.

Or better yet, instead of being nebulous, vague and constantly moving your own goalposts why don't you tell us what country you're actually from.

It used to be good. It used to be a world of simple rules that was used to tell a series of nice stories where you didn't have to think too hard and the self-contained setting and lack of in-depth details of said stories contained any questions regarding how dumb the world actually was.

And then they told too many fucking stories and broke their own world under the weight of how fucking terrible and nonsensical the stories became.

It was like Heretics of Dune. It was too much.

Well, the nasuverse has never been self-contained, Nasu; the writer has written several unpublished works in the same setting all all interacted with his published works reference, the only reason why you think it lacked depth or was simple was because you were probably introduced to Type-moon from Fate/Zero.

You aren't wrong that it because nonsensical and terrible though, but it was always nonsensical and terrible from the very beginning.

>You claimed anyone who isn't from an English speaking country is a eurocentrist or is an ameritard
What? No i didn't. Anyone who automatically assumes that any country on earth have a dedicated SW fanbase (Large enough to talk about), just because his own (Western) country have one - is probably one of those 2 things.
I'm from Kazakhstan.

It starts off as reasonably well-written street level supers, then becomes badly written cosmic horror.

E88 is hilariously hypocritical, though. Not just in the fact that they're the city's largest criminal syndicate, but in the fact that Worm is a setting where their beliefs are true - there is one particular group proven to commit a disproportionate amount of crime. And they're part of that group.

The cosmic horror part was heavily foreshadowed.

That's the most underrated series I'm aware of, mostly because I just became aware of it, so no matter how shit it is it's still technically infinitely underrated.

The fact that I can smell the shit sundae from the dining room doesn't mean you're not going to serve me a shit sundae for desert. It just means the rest of the meal is going to be colored by my knowledge of that fact.

Same.

>Not Star Wars
I mean, you're right, I like 40k and even I can admit that there's a lot wrong with it, but seriously Star Wars is just fucking stupid.

What were the issues with that part?

I would say its underrated. Nobody knows about Orion's Arm.
Personally I think, Orion's Arm has great concepts but is in general a mess. A good source for inspirations but not a good setting.

I would give it a 6/10. 10/10 for the ideas though.

I would say it's just aberrant but straighter deesu

It is not overrated. It is badly known to people and is somewhat original in concepts. Most writers chicken out to add transhumans and megastructures.

I disagree.
It IS overrated in a lot of ways, but not in it's setting.

Dune

It's overrated everything, really.

Overrated doesn't mean bad. It's an enjoyable story but nowhere near the second coming of Watchmen everyone hypes it up to be.

You know, the Saber Wars shit in FGO was some serious uncanny valey of intent. You just couldn't tell if the poet was trying to say "look at how many seibas we got hahaha I wish I was at home doing barrel rolls around a big guy with a big sword", or "oh god my child is a zombie that people are taking turns raping I think this is what George Lucas would feel like if he had conscience because the company the two of us had created as kids has turned into literally lucas arts please fire me please end my misery tsukihime remake doesn't even exist what you've seen four years ago are all the assets of it that exist just the sprites and the one track plese kill me."

fpbp

Wasn't it established at some point that Kaiser wasn't really a true believer, as far as that whole white supremacy thing went? IIRC, he just thought of that ideology as a banner he could rally people under. He was more interested in power rather than about championing a cause.

>not Pokemon
>not Star Wars
>not LotR
>not GoT
>not Destiny
>not [insert major flavor-of-the-year shounen anime]

Maybe among fa/tg/uys, but overall, there are much more known - and overrated settings.

Don't forget Warcraft.

No idea. I think that might either be someone's hypothesis in-story, but I don't remember it being confirmed by the time of his death.

The story has many flaws, but it's an excellent superhero setting. Trigger events encourage the development of a character with some personality, and the world supports everything from gritty street-level to Justice League-tier quite well, on both sides of the fence too. Bit too much on the dark side, but that's easy enough to tweak.

Went to the wiki to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass. Apparently it was confirmed by the author in a forum thread.

Purity, his ex-wife, is a legitimate racist, and openly reflects on how she was made into one by exposure to Kaiser's ideals. Kaiser was a true blue white supremacist, through and through.

You may be thinking of Hookwolf, who canonically was more interested in the power and fighting afforded to him by the group, and wasn't really an ideologue.

Nah man. He's merely pretending.

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?682837-Worm-Bet-the-Alternate-Thread-The-Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy-Still-Sucks-Though&p=16723029#post16723029

>>rpg.net

Warhammer 40K
Zelda
LotR
Dark Souls/Bloodborne

I don't know, anybody who cares about the actual setting/lore aspect acknowledges that it has turned to shit. Maybe in terms of the masses who happen to play warcraft but don't actually interact with it as a setting proper.

>Kaiser
>Purity

Wow, such original names, truly flawless writing!

Yeah, everyone knows cape stories need original names like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Or maybe Thor, the Hulk, and Iron Man.

wow.

lookatthat straw grasping.

This doesn't count as a setting.
It's just shit, and it's fans are autistic shit eaters.

>something has a setting
>"it doesn't count as a setting"
Are you retarded?

That's honestly pretty retarded, given that the story makes it clear that he warped Purity into racist beliefs. Not well written on Wildbow's part at all.

I think it could work if developed a bit. She made it clear in her interlude that he was always finding ways to manipulate the people around him. He could have deliberately put those ideas in her head as a way of aligning her agenda with that of the E88. It raises some questions about the timeline, like at what point she gained powers, when she met Kaiser, and at what point Allfather founded the E88, but none of that stuff would really be an issue. Alternatively, maybe the impression left on Kayden was inadvertent, just something that rubbed off on her from interacting with whatever people Max used to hang out with, back when he was still the heir to Allfather.

As it is, yeah, can't say I think it meshes well with the characterization in the story. I'm guessing it was one of those things Wildbow had meant to develop down the line if Kaiser hadn't died to a bad dice roll.

Dark Souls, or anything "inspired by Dark Souls"

Oh, it certainly would work if Kaiser was developed further, as Purity could easily be an unreliable narrator attempting to reassign blame for her racist beliefs. As is, though, it falls flat.

Really wasn't the best idea to literally roll dice to pick who died, but hey.

Star Wars is limited as fuck. You can't do much with it without breaking the mold.

>something is absolute shit
>it's not!

Are you retarded?

Not him, but that isn't a great rebuttal as those are all shit writing as well.

>They're the most relatable villains in the story,

C'mon m8, Coil, Lung, and even Sophia are better villains than the E88. Purity is the only one of the neo-Nazi faction with any real development, and she's not even really an E88 member.

They're more developed, but they're not relatable. Coil and Lung and Sophia are all sociopaths. Kaiser has motivations that you can kinda understand, and realistic flaws (besides the whole nazi thing). Shame he got fucked over by Leviathan RNG. It would have been interesting to see what would happen if he was alive.

Plus there's that interlude with Crusader that really humanizes (parts of) E88.

>Zelda
You, sir, are not my nigga.

I can't believe wormfags are this retarded.

No, wait, this is exactly how retarded you'd expect them to be.

Why did E88 get the coolest powers and names out of anyone in the setting?

It's not actually that popular. It just has some particularly autistic fans who won't shut up about it. It's the sort of thing that they want to promote because they think it's "underground" and "novel", rather than simply low-quality and completely derivative.

>enjoyable

It's practically unreadable, being written so poorly. And, almost all of its ideas are taken from some of the worst Marvel series and somehow mutated into something even worse.

>the second coming of Watchmen everyone hypes it up to be.
You might want to not hang out with people who read Worm anymore. You might be able to discover stuff worth reading if you did.

"headspace" annoyed the shit out of me while reading worm. It's like the author discovered the word half way through writing it and decided to shove it literally everywhere.

Worm is a major sunkcost fallacy. If you put in the effort to trudge through the quagmire of twilight-tier writing, you're going to hate feeling so stupid when you realize you've been wasting all that time and effort on what's a thoroughly mediocre setting and genuinely terrible plot and characters. Hence, the fans try to build it up in their minds, and pass it on so that they don't feel like the only idiots.

Just like how the Homesick fans did.

So kind of like you were for your mother

Only on Spacebattles and TV Tropes, the rest of the internet could care less

>Knowing anything at all about expanded universe if pretty rare.
The further you get away from the original trilogy--the first two movies really--the more schlocky and pointless Star Wars becomes. Honestly, I think a lot of later-day Star Wars' popularity just comes from brand recognition from the original trilogy. It's enough to get its foot in the door and becomes the generic space opera option in much the same way that D&D is the generic (fantasy) role-playing game.

But Star Wars (sorry: A New Hope) was revolutionary for its time in a number of different ways, and still holds up today. The Empire Strikes Back was a bit less revolutionary (since Star Wars had already done the innovating), but every bit as good. One problem with the franchise as a whole is that the original trilogy had a story to tell, and included the details it needed to do that, but later works have drawn on those rather narrow parameters and built an entire universe out of them, and it ends up feeling rather... artificial to me.

>Dune
>It's overrated everything, really.
Dune declines after the first book, but the first book is phenomenally good and the setting is richly detailed.

Isn't spacebattles infested with ASOIAF and Young Justice Self Insert fanfics right now?

The "most obvious" overrated setting is some random bullshit nobody has ever heard of that nobody plays games in or has any products associated with it.

That sure makes sense.

They've had extraordinarily shit taste for a while now, after an enormous influx of ponyfags, weebs, and SJWs

I wouldn't be surprised if there was intense overlap between the two.

Honestly the original trilogy aren't even in the top 10 of SW stories. Of course, that was back when we had an EU instead of the Mouse's leavings.

Star Trek is overrated af.

Well, they're both designed to appeal to teen hipsters.

> low-quality and completely derivative.

How so?