The exact moment you gave up on trying to have fun in a tabletop game

>GM tells me to stop being a power-gamer and start thinking outside the box.
>Next campaign, GM tells us to build Level 5 characters.
>Decide to play a Battle Master Fighter who uses finesse along with a cape, rapier, and whip because he was a matador who wants to fight monsters for a challenge.
>First time I bothered thinking about backstory instead of the mechanics, I'm actually starting to have a good time.
>Even decide to make him focused in DEX and CHA while having mediocre CON and STR since he's more a flighty bastard than the dude who tanks hits.
>Take Evasive Footwork, Goading Attack, and Parry for my maneuvers.
>Excited as fuck!
>Sit down for first session.
>Party consists of a Barbarian, a Wizard, a Druid, and a Cleric.
>Barbarian deals more damage than me.
>Druid is tankier than me.
>Cleric is buffing everyone like a madman.
>Wizard allows us to bypass most obstacles.
>Meanwhile, I'm spent after two encounters and just do basic attacks anyways.
>Feel useless
1/2

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.wizards.com/dnd/files/tob_all.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

D&D is a glorified boardgame, not a role playing game. Also, who in the fuck plays a monster matador in a group of normal adults?

2/2
>Start noticing little things as I'm waiting to do my pitiful damage for the turn.
>Notice that I only get four superiority dice while the mages have at least 10 spell slots at the same level.
>Notice every other member of the party has an effective means of either avoiding attacks or resisting damage.
>Notice that almost nobody bothers roleplaying because they're having more fun wiping encounters than actually developing their characters.
>Talk to the GM after game and ask him what the fuck was going on about thinking outside the box.
>"Well, it's much easier to think outside the box when you have spells."
>Play around for a few more sessions until a fumble ends up spelling the end for my Matador.
>Decide to play a Bard and go back to my power gaming ways.
>Don't even bother naming him beforehand
>Start wiping encounters myself
>Feel hollow inside.
It's like opening your eyes for the first time and the first thing you see is 2girls1cup. I was better off when I didn't know.

What's wrong with matadors?

Maybe I'm just a boring person, but I would not want to play with a person who took the game at such a farcical as to play a 'monster matador', or 'hammer & sickle commie' or any of the other 'funny' greentext-shit-builds I've seen on Veeky Forums.

Clear case of wrong group, wrong game then. Of you want to roleplay and not focus on just combat, play something like WoD with a group that actually cares about roleplaying a bit.

Since this was the first game where I decided not to be a power gaming fuckwad, I decided to try something different.

I never played Fighters because I heard they sucked but then I saw all the cool maneuvers that battle masters got. Then I decided to make him a DEX/CHA Fighter and the first thing I thought of was a matador.

Then I took maneuvers that were all about avoiding attacks and getting people to focus their attacks against me since matadors are all about fancy footwork and drawing attention to themselves.

Then I chose the entertainer: gladiator background and picked a cape as my unusual weapon of choice, which the GM signed off on. I even bothered writing up a backstory to explain why he went from fighting bulls to fighting trolls for a living.

Then we get to the actual campaign and I can only afford to do matador things like four times between short rests, while everyone else is free to use their shit whenever the fuck them want.

I'm just so disappointed.

Again, just sounds like wrong game

If everyone was on board for not making optimised characters you'd have been fine. That or you should have found a middle ground between effective mechanics and strong fluff

>wanting to play a Commie

I'd kick you out of my group TBQH

>wanting to play a Commie
I'm sorry? Since when are matadors communists?

The thing is, when I actually had superiority dice to throw, I was keeping up with the party no sweat.

Evasive footwork gave me a massive boost to my AC, goading attack was great because it basically made me the guy who drew the most aggro, and parry was a great emergency button for the off chance that an opponent was able to get through my obnoxious AC.

With 17 DEX, leather armor, and evasive footwork, I could easily get an AC that was over 20 and I described myself literally dancing around my opponents while the rest of the party set shit up in the background.

But then after one or two encounters, I run out of superiority dice and I'm basically forced to plink people ineffectively with my shitty rapier until the group decides to take a short rest, which is long ass time when you have to wait for the casters to expend like 30 spell slots between the three of them and each spell has a chance to end an encounter in one bad saving throw.

You should be playing 3.5 or Pathfinder instead, Tome of Battle/Path of War lets you play martials who actually get to do cool things and contribute to the party.

Not OP, but I can't find a group for either game around here.

>inb4 roll20
My internet connection is too spotty for that.

Tried it once, didn't like it. If given the choice, I'd rather play 4e than 3.5 or Pathfinder, and that has mostly to do with the fact that the community for 3rd edition is fucking trash and our group jumped to 5e almost immediately.

Jesus Christ Veeky Forums needs mods badly.

What's the problem again?

IRC and google docs + discord friendo.

>mfw I'm playing a Dex/Cha based Battlemaster with Goading, Parry and Rally, with Defensive Duelist as a feat, running him as a former gladiator who is seeking mad glory
>ends up being really effective as a frontline blocker who can't be hit, and even when crit, barely gives a shit, and nobody else is really muscling in on that niche
>mfw I've also played a range Battlemaster who focused on debuffing the enemy and creating openings for the party, which was also an effective and valued member of the party

Party comp is everything, my dude. With a Barb, Wizard, Druid and Cleric, a Bard or a Rogue would be the better choice, because you'd be providing something to the party that they themselves can't bring. And hell, even if you stuck with a fighter, you could have created some dank battle tactics with the barb.

>But then after one or two encounters, I run out of superiority dice and I'm basically forced to plink people ineffectively with my shitty rapier until the group decides to take a short rest, which is long ass time when you have to wait for the casters to expend like 30 spell slots between the three of them and each spell has a chance to end an encounter in one bad saving throw.

Here lies the biggest problem. Your party are a group of individuals just moving in the same direction, and aren't actually paying attention to the people that are moving with them. I'm guessing it played out like
>Hey guys, my resources are low, can we take a short rest so I can get them back
>I got most my spell slots so I'm fine
>Yeah me too
>Let's keep going, I didn't use any of my spells lol
Right?

You DM needs to put them in an oversized Silence bubble.

>then I saw all the cool maneuvers that battle masters got
I suppose they might look cool if your only exposure to martials were literal basic attacks and you didn't notice how few dice you got and how annoying short rests are to get in dungeons.

Now go look at 4 and 7-9 from this.

archive.wizards.com/dnd/files/tob_all.zip

>Here lies the biggest problem. Your party are a group of individuals just moving in the same direction, and aren't actually paying attention to the people that are moving with them. I'm guessing it played out like [...] Right?
Pretty much, I do an amazing thing that saves the party's bacon during a particularly tough encounter and then I'm rewarded with being the waterboy until they finally decide to rest to replenish their spell slots.

Because none of them benefit from short rests much. Would you sit down for an hour for little gain?

Wizards, Clerics, and Druids each have a class ability that allows them to replenish spell slots equal to half their level IIRC. The only reason why they didn't go for a short rest was because all they needed was like 1-2 spells to end most encounters.
>Would you sit down for an hour for little gain?
I would if the party member who needs it has been pulling their weight and we're not in immediate danger.

That's the point. It wasn't needed to win, so why bother? Who knows if you're on a timer or not? Sitting down for an hour after every encounter is ridiculous.

Not him but wasn't the most limiting factor for mages the fact that they needed to rest more often than the martials? I was going to play a Paladin but now I hear that mages are the ones forcing the party forward?

What the fuck did they do to 5e? Am I in bizarro world or something?

>but wasn't the most limiting factor for mages the fact that they needed to rest more often than the martials?
Only at very low levels. That stops being the case in most editions at around level 6, where you're probably going to run out of HP before you run out of spells.

And in 5E, now martials suck shit if they aren't using their limited resources in fights so it's pretty much encounter->rest for an hour->encounter->rest for an hour until you stop for the day whereas spells are meant to last the whole day. Spellcasters also get benefits from short rests so they're not in danger of running out of spells unless the player is completely retarded.

Seriously, what the fuck did they do to 5e? At least 4e made everyone run off of the same resource pool so you didn't need to rest after every goddamn encounter.

What the fuck?

tl;dr: Mike Mearls is a retard.

Goddamn man, I'm so fucking mad right now. My GM promised me that it would be different this time, that they fixed 3rd edition for us.

I've been duped again!

That's how I felt playing a regular class when my DM allowed a couple group members to run homebrew stuff.

One is literally a copy of Groot so that he cannot die, and doesn't need to eat/drink/etc. He gets extreme bonuses to melee to because of 'tree strength'.

The other is a gunslinger (when literally every other character in the campaign uses bows/crossbows) who can 1v6+ enemies. The drawback of the class is supposed to be that ammo is EXTREMELY rare and expensive. The problem is that the DM DOESN'T TRACK AMMO/GOLD/ETC, and the class can still fucking do all the same stuff as ranger anyways when they don't have ammo.

The DM then complains about how hard it is to properly design fights when he was the one who fucked it all up by allowing homebrew in the first place. Like, what's the point in playing when those two can do more than the entire rest of the party combined?

>playing 3.0 for the first time
>playing a remake of the character I was playing before in 2E, a sword and board Fighter
>things go okay for the first few levels, damage is lacking and I get hit more often than I think I would, but it's not unplayable
>get to level 8
>DM: "Huh, I've been reading these CR rules wrong the whole time."
>encounters suddenly start blowing my Fighter's asshole out and there is nothing that can be done about it, can't even scratch enemies back
>party Druid starts turning into a brown bear all the time and makes my Fighter look like shit
>gets to animal friendship a bear of his own when his wolf died, I was lucky it wasn't a T-Rex or dire animal or something because the 3.0 rules for animal companions were more exploitable than 3.5's
>stopped having fun immediately

Why did you play a fighter instead of a swashbuckler rogue? It would have fit your character almost perfectly and doesn't have any resources to manage.

It was the first thing I saw, I never liked Rogues, and we were limited to the core rulebook only.

Rogues are boring as shit. You think having only 4 maneuvers per short rest is lame?

Rogues have nothing. Every single attack/turn is the same. Maybe, once in a blue moon you use your bonus for something else if you are a thief. Otherwise, it's not worth giving up your SA damage to do anything but attack.

>plays a WotC D&D that is not 4e
>surprised his martial sucks

it keeps happening bro

You sound like a huge fucking baby to deal with. Then again, your DM sounds like a fucking faggot if he didn't apply the same rules to the other dick cheese players. I suggest you get out and either find a new group or give up the hobby altogether, you clearly don't enjoy it so might as well stop wasting you and everyone else's time.

Is it normal for fa/tg/uys to be absolute faggots about shit like this guy

No, you can tell by the gap between the number of the post he's replying to and the body text.

Fair enough.

Half way through a Flames of War game when I realized the system was somehow stupider then 40k, but claims to be a realistic approach to ww2 wargaming.

>Half way through a Flames of War game when I realized the system was somehow stupider then 40k,
Okay, you can't drop something like this and then bug out for five hours.

We need details!