List building/ advice thread 40k

This is a thread for posting lists and ideas for lists so that other people can ask for advice, please keep unimportant or repetitive shit to a minimum so that your list is easier to read

>example
HQ
>2x company commanders, las pistol, power sword
Troops
>3x units of 5 scions, 2 plasma guns, one plasma pistol
Or something similar

I just got this list that I kludged together in BS. I'm kinda holding off on buying models until November

I'll get my list posted to help things gather steam

Isn't it worth it to swap one of those tyrants out for the swarmlord for double move shinanigans?

meme drops storm troopers

As soon as I find another Hive Tyrant box. My current walkrant is one of those old metal fellas.

Chill 1700 pt alpha legion list that I'm building up to, not super strong but pretty fluffy other than the DP which I'll be trying to convert to be more alpha legion
HQ
>slaanesh daemon prince, talon, elixir, warp time
>2X termie sorcerers, one with prescience and death hex, another with diabolical strength and warp time
Troops
2X 30 man cultist units with one heavy stubber
2x 5 man CSM squads with a lascanon
Elites
>1 squad of chosen all with double lightning claws
>2x units of termies, one with double lightning claws and icon of wrath and another with all combiplas and swords
Heavy support
>1 unit of havocs with 4 lascanons
Wanted a very alpha legion list with ranged ambushes, elite terminator strikes, and hoards of cultists, think I did pretty good, any advice on what to add next payday as I head towards 2000?

Zerkers

What the hell is yarrik doing there for?
Also you have to start half your army on the table, so I'd replace half of that with some long range firepower like basilisks or manticores to anchor down your army

I said I wanted to be fluffy, daemon prince is already bad enough and I'm only doing it because I'm converting girlyman into alpharius

It's fluffy for the Alpha Legion to use a group of Berzerkers to further their goals.

Yarrick is there to sit with the half of the army that needs to deploy to provide the re roll without the need to use that order on them, with the remaining orders freed up you have a lot of flexibility to advance and fire or FRFSRF re roll wound rolls of 1 etc etc...

But they wouldn't have their legion trait so I'd have to take a second detachment
Alpha legion doesn't worship a chaos god other than that faggot in DoW

Just fluff it as the Zerkers having worked with the AL so long they've picked up on some of their tactics? Be creative & use your imagination. Also there is nothing in the new fluff that prevents them from being marked by a god.

zerkers tactics are kill maim burn...

Tzneetch please

HQ
Pedro Kantor 170
Librarian w/ Jump Pack, C-Plas, Force Axe *Armor Indomitus 147

Troops
2x 5 Sniper Scouts w/ Camo, C-Plasma 210
2x 6 Tacticals w/ Lascannon, Combi-Plasma, Power Axe 246

1x 6 Tacticals w/ Lascannon, Combi-Plasma, Chainsword 105

Elites
10 Terminators w/ 2xAC, Teleport Homer 430

Company Ancient w/ C-Plasma *Relic Banner 78
Company Veterans w/ C-Plasma 62

Heavy Support
5 Devastators w/ Cherub, C-Plasma, 3xGC, 1xLC 194

Transports
1 Droppod w/ Deathwind 98
2x LSS w/ HB 170

Auxiliary Detachment
Vindicare 90

Command Points: 5
# Units: 15 (16, if Termies combat squad)
# Units(Reserve): 7 (8), meaning one deep strike unit has to deploy normally
Minimum deployment drops: 9

Tacticals give long range support and can optionally advance midfield, Scouts either screen, hunt enemy character models with Vindicare or fly forwards to support the deepstriking hammer that is bound to come down hard.

On the battlefield, yeah. They aren't MKB 24/7.

I'm a go ahead and bump this thread.

AL has no affiliation.

As a legion true but on an individual, squad or even warband basis it's not unfathomable that some AL have dedicated themselves to the gods over the last 10k years. I mean all the gods have something that would appeal to the AL

I play Grey Knights and I am always looking for spicy new tech and I think I found it.

It is called: PLOP YOUR FINANCIAL DICK ON THE TABLE.

I would appreciate some feedback.

To be honest I have thought about zerkers, since you can infiltrate them and they really do just blend everything in melee
Only problem would be due to my autism I'd need to completely kitbash them so that they have a more alpha legion aesthetic which would probably cost a lot to get all the axes and stuff
It really helps because this being such an elite army means I'm gonna be going first almost every time if I don't get seized on

I'm sure you know that's A LOT of points invested in one bird in an already elite army, I'd honestly recommended waiting for at least 2500 to bring it but if you're committed then don't forget that if it's the only thing on the board you count as being tabled

A.. A list thread?
It's been so long

People were posting lists in the /40kg/ more than usually and like usual they were getting no responses, so I decided to try and make a thread for people to post lists, I wonder if I should have put /40kg/ in the title so people could more easily find it...

>don't forget that if it's the only thing on the board you count as being tabled
Nope
>When determining if a player has any
units on the battlefield, do not include any units withthe Flyer Battlefield Role

Unless I am mistaken this wouldn't apply since a Thunderhawk uses the Lord of War battlefield role and not the flyer one.

I really like a few really big tough units that act as juggernauts and I really like Crusaders, so how does this look for 1500 points?

>Chapter Tactics: Black Templars
HQ:
>Captain w/ Terminator Armor, Storm Shield (Shield Eternal) and Thunder Hammer
>Emperor's Champion

Troops:
>Crusader Squad w/Power Maul, Chainsword and BP
>Crusader Squad w/Power Axe, Chainsword and BP
>Crusader Squad w/Power Fist, Chainsword and BP

Elite:
>Ironclad Dreadnaught w/ Chainfist, DCCW with Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Grenade Launchers
>Terminator Squad

Heavy Support
>Centurion Devastator Squad w/ Missile Launchers and Lascannons

Dedicated Support
>Razorback w/ Heavy Bolter

It's fine, hopefully list threads become a thing again. 40k gen was completely dead when list threads were a thing which is good. We'd have avoided alot of /pol/ raids had list threads continued.

Whats the idea here, since you can only drop like half your army?

So you still have the op links or whatever they used? I'd be find running it for a week to see if I can get them to take off

There were never any list building thread copypastes. I'll make a new OP though.

Chaos here.

I'm looking at images of Primaris Marines- haven't bothered to see them in person yet. For true scale conversion purposes, how well would they match up across the older ranges?
I hear their arms and legs show the most change, and that's where most true scale modification lies anyways.

Taking this into a tournament on Sunday how grass is my ass going to be with it?

Space Wolves 1999/2000 Vanguard/SpearHead Detachments

Vanguard - 762pts
HQ - 257pts
Bjorn the Fellhanded: Plasma Cannon, trueclaw w/ heavy flamer

Elite - 505pts
Dreadnought: Assault Cannon, Great wolf claw w/ storm bolter
Relic Deredeo Dreadnought: Autocannons, Aiolos, Twin HB
Lone Wolf in Terminator Armor: Storm shield/Thunder Hammer

Spearhead - 1237pts
HQ - 95pts
Iron Priest: Thunder hammer

Troops - 243pts
x14 Bloodclaws: power axe, + wolf guard pack leader in terminator armour w/ TH/SS

Heavy Support - 899pts
Long Fangs: x2 las, x2 missile, plasma gun, terminator pack leader w/ stormbolter/shield/cyclone
Land Raider Crusader: Multi-melta
Relic Leviathan Dreadnought: Grav Bombard, Storm Cannon Array

Looking to build a list around a Lord of Skulls. So far I have a Jump Pack Sorcerer as a buff-bot, Havocs for ranged cover, Berzekers because duh, and Cultists for bubble wrap against deep strike. What else should I put in? Expected value is 2000 points.

What is the point of big-dick transport plane if you can't afford to put anyone in the plane without losing the game instantly?

IMO you should get a spartan and put your entire army in it.

I don't really get the purpose of the razorbacks - are the crusader units small enough to fit inside them?

Looks pretty good to me, B. More armor than most people will be able to reasonably deal with.

Should I bother with Chimera for my Veterans or just just drop in Scions?

It was purely formatted but yes, just 5 man squads

I got some pretty newfag questions, so bear with me. My FLGS was selling some extra models and despite and picked up these two dudes along with what I believe are seven plague marines. I've never really considered playing 40k, but between these any some 30-40ish vanilla marines I bought from another guy years ago I'm wondering if I'm close to having enough dudes to running a (probably shitty) Nurgle force. I have some extra acetone so I was thinking about brushing/dipping some of the marines to make them more Nurgley.

So what I'm wondering
>what are these two guys called
>what would be some extra models that might compliment this hodgepodge of minis

Scions really are just better this edition, which is sad

Yeah, that's more than enough. That's actually a pretty big force, although it's all infantry.

Any tips or advice? I'm also thinking about dropping a one unit of crisis suits for a 4th strike team and a Broadside

Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [999/1000]

HQ
Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight, MV1 Gun Drone
Ethereal: Honour blade, Hover Drone

Troops
3x Strike Team: MV1 Gun Drone
- Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
- 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Elites
2x XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 6x MV1 Gun Drone
- Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Plasma rifle
- Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Plasma rifle
- Crisis Shas'vre: Drone controller, 2x Plasma rifle

Fast Attack

2x Pathfinder Team: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone
- 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
- Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol

Dedicated Transport
TY7 Devilfish: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon

Death Guard Malignant Plaguecaster and Death Guard Lord of Contagion from the Dark Imperium box set.

Go on eBay and buy some more Dark Imperium Death Guard shit, it's cheap as dirt and you could use some of the things like the floating drones.

Good to know. I might be high balling the numbers a bit since most of them are unassembled. There's about 10-20ish put together ones, 3 what I believe are Rogue Trader era ones that I won't be fucking with, and a shitload of bits that could probably be assembled into another 10-20.

I'll definitely check that out. I'm assuming the Plaguecaster and LoC probably aren't going to be useful if I double up, but I'm glad it'll be cheap at least.

I've currently got a DE Start Collecting, and a box of wyches. I'm planning on getting a Lelith Hesperax after I finish painting the SC.
What's my best next purchase? I was thinking another SC, Gangs of Commoragh or a box of scourges.

This is a list I drew up for a second SC, before the picture builder list died. Thoughts?

T'au Empire, 1992/2000, Battalion detachment

HQ

Fireblade

Ethereal

Elites

2x3 Stealth Suits, Shas'ui, Fusion Blaster, Multi-trackers

Ghostkeel, Multitracker, Fusion Blasters, Fusion Collider, Target Lock

Troops

2x20 Kroot Carnivores

3x10 Strike Team Fire Warriors, Shield Drone, Shas'ui

Fast Attack

2x5 Pathfinders, Shas'ui, Recon Drone

1x10 Vespids, Strain Leader

Heavy Support

2 Hammerheads, Railgun

Transports

3 Devilfish

not only that, it only counts as being tabled if you have no non-flyer models on the table after the first battle round, not just at the start of the game.

alright, so let's go over this:

>cut the kabalites to 5 man squads, give them each a blaster
>warriors can only take SCs in squads of 10+
>run the reavers as one squad of 6, give them 2 blasters and 2 grav-talons/caltrops(depending on what you're playing against)
>get some scourges, a ravager, and some Venoms to put your kabalites in
>max out your special weapons on the trueborn squad(you can take 4 blasters in a squad of 5)
>swap out some of those kabalite squads for trueborn
>see if you can fit another succubus, and run a vanguard detachment on top of your battalion

Sup, Veeky Forums, bit of an odd one here. I'm planning to start Genestealer Cults soon, but I've got specific fluff in mind. I'd like to know what best to take to match my fluff while still staying playable, if not competitive.

Basically, an Ordo Xenos inquisitor had been poking around with tyranids, and got his whole group of stormtroopers infected. Moron tried to figure out how Genestealers worked, and by god, he found out. When he landed on a certain planet to meet with one of his contacts, his own stromtroopers shot him in the back and rejoined the civilians, acting as war leaders to guide the Genestealer Cult on the planet to victory.

I'm looking for a lot of civilian elements, very light on the 'heavy' stuff - even with Inquisitorial training, random farmer mcgee isn't going to be able to /find/ a tank, let alone use one. I know the PDF exists and could've been subverted and all, but that's sort of not what I'm looking for?

Obviously, there's still a patriarch, and he's still got his own genestealer brood, so they're in. I'm thinking Sentinels for the Genestealer Cult half, as well as a decent amount of Neophyte Acolytes and Primuses. The allied Guard would be Militarum Tempestus, with Taurox Primes to hang out in - the troops, anyway. There would be two Tempestor Primes and two command squads with special weapons to handle big stuff.

What else could I add?

>I'm assuming the Plaguecaster and LoC probably aren't going to be useful if I double up

plaguecaster is a decent psyker

How is the Burning Chariot in my Thousand Sons list? Is there another low cost anti-tank unit that'd be better?

Would a Khorne Lord of Skulls in a 1k points game be a dick move? What would be a good setup if you want the LOS as centerpiece of your 1k army?

Depends entirely on what you play against, 1000 points of primaris marines is different than 1000 points of guardsmen or boyz.

How to make possessed worth it?

Planning on a Word Bearers army (using the renegade trait cause the WB one is utter shit) and I want to use some fluff appropiate units.

9 possessed + exalted champion in a rhino?
Or better 8 with apostle + champion?
20 on foot?

Heavy support could be a forgefiend, havocs or a defiler, don't know how much anti tank I need for a general purpose list. Also have several demon princes, bikes, termis.

Propably a mix of Grey Knights and Primaris.

this thread is a bit short on feedback

Get a sorcerer with warptime if you want to field a melee unit of 20. Otherwise I would always take a rhino for better movement. I've never used an apostle, so I'm not sure about him.

Hi guys, not played in a while and have only had a couple of intro games in 8th but keen to get back into the hobby. Posted this in the general yesterday and got some good advice would be nice to get some more before I start spending cash.
Plan is to start with this, then add another 500pts for inquisitor plus retinue and then 850pts blocks each of Deathwatch and Soroitas so that I can have a force for each branch of the Inquisition

+++ Ordo Malleus Strike Team [78 PL, 1498pts] +++

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) ++

Grey Knight Chaplain: 4: First to the Fray, Purge Soul, Storm bolter, Warlord

Apothecary: Nemesis Force Sword, Sanctuary
Paladin Ancient: Storm Bolter and Falchion, Vortex of Doom (advised to take gate rather than vortex)
Paladin Squad: Hammerhand
. 2x Paladin w/ Daemon Hammer (advised to take halberds instead)
. Paragon w/ Daemon Hammer

Stormraven Gunship: 2x Stormstrike Missile Launcher, Twin Assault Cannon, Twin Heavy Bolter, Two Hurricane Bolters

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) ++

+ HQ +

2x Tempestor Prime: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

2x Militarum Tempestus Scions
. Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun 2x Meltagun, Tempestor: Chainsword, Hot-shot Laspistol

2x Militarum Tempestus Scions
. Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun 2x Hot-shot Volley Gun, Tempestor: Chainsword, Hot-shot Laspistol

2x Militarum Tempestus Command Squad
. Tempestus Scion: 2x Plasma gun, medi pack, 2x Hot-shot Lasgun

. Vulture Gunship: Heavy bolter, Twin Punisher Gatling Cannons (apparently this is a bit cheesy)

B I K E S
I
K
E
S

Rate my MANTIS WARRIOR BIKES

Battalion Detatchement:

HQ:
Librarian on Bike with Force Stave

Librarian on Bike with Force Stave

Troops:
5 Tactical Marines with Plasmagun and Power Sword (Dedicated Transport: Razorback with Lascannons)

5 Tactical Marines with Plasmagun and Combiplasma (Dedicated Transport: Razorback with Lascannons)

5 Tactical Marines with Plasmagun and Combiplasma (Dedicated Transport: Razorback with Lascannons)

Outrider Detatchement:

HQ:
Captain on Bike with Stormshield and Teeth of Terra Relic

Fast Attack:
4 Bikes with 2 Plasmaguns

Vanguard Detetchement:

HQ:
Techmarine with Servoarm, Bolter and Chainsword on Bike

Elite:
5 Company Veterans with Stormshields and Power Axes on Bikes

Ironclad Dreadnought with Chainfist, Dreadnought Fist and Meltagun

Ironclad Dreadnought with Chainfist, Dreadnought Fist and Meltagun

Also, here's a visual layout if anyone prefers it like this.
B I K E S
I
K
E
S

>Kroot and Vespid
Me gusta. How do you plan to use them?
>Devilfish
You only really need those for breachers, grab another sturdier source of markerlights, because those pathfinders are going to be dead by the end of the second turn.

I think you're going to have problems with infantry blob armies (shit ton of orks / brimstone horrors / conscripts hiding artillery) and since you have such an elite force - smite spam will hurt too.

They're fine in groups, but a single one will break pretty fast.

Also I can't seem to find your sorcerors costed into the list. I think they just count as a 10th rubric.

If you want an army of brainwashed "Farmer McGee"s - you could run a conscript blob or two in the IG detachment

Kroot are basically gonna be bubblewrap for other stuff. Probably the fire warriors/fireblade/ethereal.

Vespids are gonna be hunting support units or grabbing objectives.

What should I get for markerlights? Drones?

Lads BattleScribe crashes every time I click add forces (the plus symbol on this screenshot) any advice?

Ok ignore that I just had to update BattleScribe. But now when I click to add troops elites etc (anything) I get a blank screen, pic related.

Does anyone have any experience with Necrons?

Just starting them now and I've got a very basic list done for 1000 points and looking for improvements.

Necrons:
Battalion Detachment

HQ:
Overlord with Resurrection Orb
Overlord with Resurrection Orb

Troops:
15x Warriors
14x Warriors
10x Immortals with Tesla Carbines

Heavy Support:
1x Triarch Stalker with Twin Heavy Gauss Cannon

=

The only thing that's limiting me at the moment is models built. Ontop of what I've got listed, I have built and painted 1 Doom Scythe, 5 Praetorians with Voidblade/Pistol, 3x Wraiths with Pistols and a bunch of scarabs.

I have also yet to build a Catacomb Command/Annihilation Barge, Ghost/Doomsday Ark, 3 Destroyers, an Immortals box (5) (Will probably be Deathmarks), a Praetorians (5) box and a Warriors (10) box. I also have another HQ, Orikan the Diviner ordered in and he will be subbing in for one of the Overlords.

I'm definitely upping both squads of Warriors to 20 once I have them built, and am thinking about changing the Gauss in the Triarch Stalker to the Melta because I'm never getting good rolls with the Guass.

Any other recommendations?

*Heat Ray on the Stalker, not Melta.

Still could need some advice for long range firepower / heavy support. Most of my list should be in the opponents face asap (possessed / night lord detachment with warp talons and raptors along with sorc + lord) but I guess I need something to guard my backfield and be able to shoot stuff. Have a sicaran tank too but I think he is too expensive in 8th?

Thanks. I'll probably go with 2 units in rhinos then to protect them from round 1 fire.

How would you make a 500 point, Guard centric list from these models? Besides more guardsmen what should I buy next?

1 Lord Commissar
1 Commissar
1 Priest
1 Master of Ordance
1 Company Commander
1 Platoon Commander with power fist
1 Sniper Guardsman
1 Plasma gun Guardsman
1 Medi-pack Guardsman
1 Leman Russ
1 Chimera
1 Sergeant with powersword, plasma pistol
2 Sergeants with chainswords, laspistols
2 Banners
2 Meltagun Guardsmen
2 Grenade Launcher Guardsmen
3 Guardsmen with Voxcaster
5 Scions, 1 flamer, sergeant with powersword, plasma pistol
15 Guardsmen
Dark Vengeance

made a new OP for whoever makes the next thread

Get a Manticore. It packs a wallop and can tackle Land Raiders and Russes easily.

More crypteks.
Like, a lot more. If the blobs will be together it's ok, but if they are going out on their own they need a cryptek.
Also... Like zero anti tank. You need a lot more anti tank. Gauss doesn't cut it anymore

How fucked would i be if I use this list? I feel like I'll die to hordes easily. Just thought the idea of a full wraith host was cool.

Are they worth a goddamn without commissar support? I'm already planning to drop in Sabre searchlights, so accuracy will at least go up to normal Guard levels.

Resonating what was said prior;
Take warrior blocks in numbers of 20. They aren't unstoppable even with res, dedicated shooting or CQC units will murder them in one salvo without the ability to get res off. While I agree cryptek are pretty good I think the only HQ worth taking right now is Orikann, he resurrects well and has the chance to become a demi-nightbringer. Speaking of Nightbringer, he's good. Pretty damned good. When it comes to CQC units necrons only really have wraiths, Nightbringer and Deceiver sadly. Wraiths are among the best unit in your arsenal which is sadly gimped at the moment. Your anti tank should come by form of annihilation barges, immortals are plain bad.
A list composed of Orikann, 2x20 warriors, 2x ghost arks, 3x3 wraiths, Nightbringer and annihilation barges provides you a well rounded list with points to spare for some scarab swarms to screen.

>aeldari
>not yannari

fug, I just realized its actually only 21 bikes

Just yiff my shit up senpai.

Blobby push their shit in wolves, Blood Claws charging around Lukas, Bjorn, and the Yiff Pack are 4 attacks each, hitting on 2+,re rolling 1 with a pack leader swinging 4 power fist attacks.

Ork levels of dice.

Minimum tanks, maximum scrubs with claws: lots of Acolyte Hybrids. They could still have the mining equipment, since that's pretty "civvie" junk anyway. Aberrants can shore up your heavy-hitting anti-armor.

Run power loader sentinels in the IG detachment because they're an industrial tool anyway. Also run Goliath trucks.

Maybe have just one patchwork tank that was built from farm parts (the original LR chassis was farming equipment) & slowly stolen PDF parts, but have it bear tons of iconography & fetishes because it's sort of the cult's Big Gun in every sense.

But, but, muh conscriiiiiiiiipts!!!!!

I don't lost the game, a Thunderhawk is a Lord of War in terms of battlefield roles, not a Flyer.

How's my AL list?

-Total: 1997pts, 9cp

CSM - Alpha Legion

-Battalion Detachment [227pts]

HQ:

Lord Arkos [124pts]

Lord w/ Jump Pack [107pts]: Mark of Khorne, 2x Plasma pistol

Troops:

Cultists [40pts]: 9x Cultist w/ Autogun, Mark of Khorne
. Champion: Autogun

-Spearhead Detachment [268pts]

HQ:

Sorcerer w/ Jump Pack [133pts]: Force sword, Plasma pistol

Heavy Support:

Havocs [135pts]: Mark of Khorne
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. 2x Havoc w/ Heavy bolter
. 2x Havoc w/ Lascannon

Hellforged Leviathan Dreadnought [356pts]: Grav-flux bombard, 2x Hellflamer, Hellforged siege drill w/ Meltagun

Hellforged Rapier Battery [106pts]
. 2x Chaos Space Marine Crew, Laser destroyer

-Vanguard Detachment [687pts]

HQ:

Exalted Champion [81pts]: Mark of Khorne, Plasma pistol, The Murder Sword

Elites:

Terminators [253pts]: Mark of Khorne
. Champion: Combi-plasma, Power fist
. 2x Terminator w/ Combi-plasma, Power axe
. Terminator: Combi-plasma, Power sword
. Terminator: 2x Lightning Claw

Chosen [176pts]: Mark of Khorne
. Chosen Champion w/ Combi-plasma
. 5x Chosen w/ Plasma gun

Khorne Berzerkers [177pts]
. Berzerker Champion w/ Chainaxe, Plasma pistol
. 9x Chainsword + Chainaxe

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [229pts]
. Hellforged chainclaw w/ Soulburner, Butcher cannon

I know its mechanically sound but seeing all these marks of Khorne on an AL list always brings out the REEEE in me.

What do you guys think about this list?

+++ battalion detachment +++
1150 pts

+++ hq +++

Typhus
Malignant plaguecaster

+++ troops +++
15 poxwalkers
15 poxwalkers
7 plague marines, plasma gun x2
7 plague marines, plasma gun x2

+++ Elites +++
Helbrute, twin lascannon, fist, heavy flamer
Helbrute, twin lascannon, fist, heavy flamer

Total 1150 points

I was thinking about their fluff from HH and thought "What if a warband took the whole 'decapitation strike' thing a bit too literally.

I was going to give them lots of skull trophies when I model them.

BLOOD FOR THE EMPEROR
SKULLS FOR THE GOLDEN THRONE

Lol seeking advice for No Retreat?

How much support is too much? I am putting together a deathwing list based around a squad of knights+supports in a crusader so it ends up with something like this as a back bone

5 DW knights
Ezekiel (2 casts/denys, mind worm + aversion)
Asmodai (+1 attack, reroll failed hits in cqc, -1 enemy leadership)
DW apothecary (heals/revives)
DW Ancient (+1 attack)
Crusader (transport, overwatch tank, ranged attacks)

Its a very expensive list and I'm not even entirely sure it works out but I would really like to find a way to make it or something similar work

Seems pretty easy to murder 13 infantry, then camp objectives until the game ends. Even with the Thunderhawk flying around, I think you're looking to draw at best.

A single squad of ranged anti-armor at 1500 points seems a little rough. Up against, say, Tau, your Razorbacks will get popped and leave your Crusaders to footslog into combat while the other guy's transports will take his guys wherever they need to be. A slightly shootier Dread might be the way to go.

Looks good to me, but I don't have much experience with the new DG

Trying to do something slightly more interesting with my tau than a pure gunline. On that note, is it acceptable to run fire warriors with carbines as breachers, do you think? Breachers weren't a thing when I built a unit of carbine FW from the old kit, but now carbines are pretty shitty, on fire warriors at least.

>Tau, 1000/1000 points, Patrol (+1 CP)

>HQ
Cadre fireblade - 42
2 gun drones - 16

>Troops
10 strike team fire warriors (pulse rifles) - 80
2 gun drones - 16

10 breacher team fire warriors - 80

>Dedicated transport
Devilfish (2 gun drones) - 127

>Elites
3 stealth suits (2 with burst cannon & ATS, 1 with fusion blaster & drone controller) - 122
2 marker drones - 20

>Fast attack
10 pathfinders (3 with rail rifles) - 137

>Heavy support
Hammerhead gunship (railgun, 2 gun drones) - 171

1 Broadside battlesuit (heavy rail rifle, 2 plasma rifles, shield generator) - 173
2 gun drones - 16

Or should I just stop being silly, and go for a battalion of 3 strike teams blasting away in a gunline? Dropping the devilfish would free enough points for an ethereal and another 10 fire warriors.

HELVETE SIMON

Any ideas for an Ork list? I'm trying to focus a bit more on having painboys and giant mobs of boys buffed by weirdboys/KFF.

I'm going to try experimenting with 8 possessed with an apostle and champion in a landraider sometime soon. Mostly it's a matter of figuring out the support staff at this point. I like that the raider has a lot of lascannon shots and can move. Does a good job of fulfilling that anti-armor role. Could even pop open transports for the squad to munch on.