media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread:
How often do you use homebrew monsters in your game?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krona
sarahdahlinger.com/imaginary-creatures
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Never. I made a homebrew wereshrew for a 3.5 campaign and I have 'Nam flashbacks whenever I even think about trying something like that again.

constantly. more often than not for the current arc of the campaign, since they're fighting mostly humanoids.

Usually I prefer to just alter existing enemies. Take one, swap out a spell or ability from something from somewhere else.

Most I do for homebrew is porting monsters from previous editions.

depends, if you mean create new monsters from scratch, then never. That's a horrible idea for horrible people.

But if you mean reskinning existing monsters and maybe swapping out an ability or two, then all the time.

Fluff rarely, mechanics all the time.

I usually edit existing monsters as a template for homebrew.
Creating a creature from scratch that is balanced and doesn't already exist is pretty time consuming

>A house infested with rats appears abandoned at first.
Okay.
>The rats are servants of Strahd
Every time.

A lot of my homebrewing is making lower-CR versions of monsters.

what effects should 'modronification' of a character have? the character will be the same shape, but just have that weird clockwork semi robotic body modrons do

Reminds me of Wheel of Time where every single raven, rat, and carrion eater was a servant of the dark one.

Every so often. Most of the time, I am making stat blocks for NPCs that don't fit the mold of any of the existing ones.

I am going to have to make a stat block for Cyric soon though.

How do you equate gold to realworld worth Veeky Forums?
I'm a farmer IRL so I use the livestock system. If an item costs a gold piece, it's rough approximation is that of a goat, which is roughly the same as that of a lamb being sent to slaughter - about £80 if they're fed right.
Therefore whenever a price is listed I can say "yes, this is worth ten lambs and therefore a moderately significant investment, especially for a commoner". What about you?

What noise does a Grick make when dropping on its prey? Probably a "skree" right? It's a weird snake bird thing

fucking everything in barovia is a servant of strahd, that's partly what makes him so formidable.

I'M PICKLE GRIIIIIIICK

GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

He about to get his ass kicked saturday tho. My group is getting close to the end of CoS, I'm pretty sure we will finish it Saturday.

>he is about to get his ass kicked

This is how I know you are the player and not DM.

I'm working on a homebrew Druid circle. Would it be uncouth to have it also use the circle of the moon's wildshape CR math? The focus of the circle is being able to become a were-creature like hybrid.

I never DMd but I heavily prefer if they do it as much as possible. Even if its a reskin/slight alteration in creature type, it still shakes things up to the point where I can't even know what approximate quantity of HP and strong/weak points the monster has, and that makes things much more exciting.
>Never
Sounds like that would work only on new players.

Often I make some adjustments to regular monsters all the time and sometimes find new ones online to throw at my party. This is mainly because my game has a ton of magic items and requires a little more leg work to keep the party sweating.

IM PICKLE *burp* GRICK MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRRR

enjoy your TPK, user.

>The focus of the circle is being able to become a were-creature like hybrid
Sounds sexy as fuck, bonus points if you can snatch different bodyparts from various beasts to become an ultimate lifeform.

Nigger do you know how hard it is to find a group in Yorkshire, let alone keep one together? Bloody right they're new

Every single martial boss.

Yessai lad

:)

I want to get off Mr Reddit's Wild Ride

The ride never ends

What should i expect from ToA?

Aye, tha's capped noo

Lots of exploration. Dinosaurs. Player character deaths. Big tombs.

tons of fun

We will see, we ended baba lasagna real quick. Im a paladin 2/sorcerer 6, and she didnt stand a chance, my DM even made her much stronger than she was supposed to be.We have the sunsword, holy symbol and sir godfrey.
Knowing my DM, he will make the fight pretty whack.

Hex crawling, random encounters, dinosaurs, poop jokes, and a final dungeon that will likely cause a TPK.

Tombs, and maybe some Annihilation.

I've made it clear to my group that I will cheat on boss battles.: extra turns, extra attacks etc. They are comfortable with it because I'm fair. A single boss fight vs. 6 players is impossible without some cheese or it's incredibly boring.
>Just have some extras in the fight
And detract from how fucking awesome the Adamantine-covered Bone Golem is? Fuck that. It's also more fun to have some kind of field effect too.

I had my players fight a pirate captain (with a shitty jamacian accent) on his boat as it was sinking in the middle of a whirlpool inside of a thunderstorm. Forcing skill checks, combat menuevers, forcing them to think outside of the box was infinitely more fun than boring "muh higher level fighter boss action surges"

Going to a chaos ridden wild magic on crack setting where all magic is fubar. How do I implement WHFRP type magic rolls in 5e system?

> WHFRP 2nd
> roll xd10 to beat target number (x dependent on your magic score)
> crit fail on all one's, bad stuff happens on doubles, triples, etc.

Similar to active defense rolling, I'm considering doing active spell casts on save type spells as well (d20+spell mod vs. 10+save).

it all depends on the DM, played right, Strahd can be a real prick.

Field effect? You mean a lair action?

>Baba is a marker for being able to take out Strahd
>he doesn't know how Strahd really fights when desperate

this is why you will fail

1gp = 1000 crowns we use as currency in our country (approx 40€). Thousand is easy number to work with.

It wasn't meant to be a keyword, just some kind of shit happening around them or maybe some pillars to bust to deal extra damage to the golem etc but yeah lair actions and what-not are used too.

>Crowns
Where the hell do you live, Victorian England?

I'd just take the wild surge table and change all the LOLRANDUMB options to psychic phenomena from DH 2E. Also warp perils on bad rolls.
For more "bad stuff happens" options there was a warp touch disease in 3,5 with some nasty mutation tables.

>tfw Veeky Forums finally becoming temporally unstable and people from the shit-scented past can now also post

What next? Fucking Mozart is gonna show up?

Perrin a best, Rand a shit

Going to try and run this cool ass monster as close to the original chimara stats as possible. I've already swapped fly speed with swim, but do you think I should have the breath weapon be lightning from the Eel head or keep it as steam so it's in line with other sea creatures?

>being such a shit player you need bullshit MC
>having such a trash DM that would allow bullshit MC

>Implying Mozart would shitpost
That said I think Hitler would find all the motivation he'd ever need from a few minutes on /pol/

Why not both?

I'm considering running Tomb of Horrors for a couple weeks as a content buffer while the real DM gets ready. What level should my players be and how much starting gear should they have?

>Implying Mozart would shitpost
>Implying Mozart WOULDN'T shitpost.

You can change it into dolphin's sonic attack, since a cone of sonic damage sounds more plausible to me than a cone of electricity. And making it into a line seems like a bit of a nerf.

Please he'd despise that shit hole for bastardizing his vision, message and forgetting what was most important in his mind.

Mozart is fucking dead, there is no way I'd show up.

Actually postsoviet europe.

But quite a few post soviet countries and several nordic ones call their currency crowns.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krona

Probably going to do this, I love the idea of the cuddly dolphin head being the most dangerous.

After playing 1 night with it, I completely agree.I hate my class now, it is way too fucking much. I did it because a player dropped out and we needed a new frontline fighter, so I said fuck it and MC'd over to paladin at 7th level from being a Wild magic sorc. And it turns out, even with shitty rolled stats and being a WMS it is still a bullshit build. DM said "the crazy damage only happens rarely so its fine"

>playing modules

cucks

Make sure to play the generic dolphin noises when someone recieves a huge chunk of damage.

If anyone can communicate with animals you also need the dolphin to be talking really nasty like "I'ma rape dat sweet bootyhole" and "WE'RE FAGS"

I dont have time to DM other wise because of my Wife and Job

>Implying Mozart DOESN'T shitpost

Huh, TIL. From the fount of 'tism came actual knowledge, who'da thunk it?

Got any more cool chimeras or monsters in general?

I pick up a lot of random stuff, I found this thing at sarahdahlinger.com/imaginary-creatures
and she seems to have a lot of other cool stuff

DH 2E? Also I'm probably going to implement an HD ante/ gambling system or wagering higher spell levels at the cost of worse things happening.

Any unforeseen problems?

>What level should my players be
Probably 12 as a dead minimum, but you can kill an unclever player of any level with it.
>how much starting gear should they have?
Don't worry about giving them all kinds of magic items too much, they aren't as critical to success as knowing how a trap works.

That's about what I was thinking level wise, but I was planning on having them make characters just for this dungeon. Do I just give them say a thousand gold budget at start?

How do you justify multiclassing from Paladin or Cleric in character? They're sorta' life callings and dedicated path, and it seems tricky to justify.

Sure, just keep in mind you'll probably have them finding some items on the bodies of previous adventurers (if you're not a bitchboy about running ToH) after a while.

>DH 2E?
Dark Heresy 2nd Edition. Mostly purely cosmetic stuff, but unlike 5e wild surge it doesn't reek of *holds up spork*.

>tfw spent 2 hours working on a CR 30 atropal
>it comes out in the new book and basically invalidates all the time I spent on it
>it's only fucking CR 13...

>implying a man who legit wrote a song called "Lick me in the asshole" wouldn't shitpost

>cleric to paladin
Your ways were too passive, and you had a crisis of personal direction that led to a change in how you help others.
>paladin to cleric
Your ways were too active, and you had a crisis of personal direction that led to a change in how you help others.

Refluff it into the big boi himself then.
Don't let your efforts go to waste.

I had the same reaction

he said 'from paladin or cleric', not 'to paladin or cleric'

Why multiclass them?

I think he means the less justified MC options, like wizard or rogue.

Already working on it.
I'm converting everything in Elder Evils to 5e. Also want to start a blog of a new 3.5 to 5e monster every week but I'm not sure if anyone would want to see that. Considered just doing it on Reddo because that would get more traffic than a random blog. But then I'd have to deal with Reddo.... I also have a lot of hang-ups like trying to keep their ability scores and number of hitdice to be pretty much the same. And I have only DM'd 5e up to 5th level so far so I don't know the high level stats that well, only going off the table in the DMG

Actually I forgot that I decided the concept would work better as a barbarian primal path where you shape change into a beast when you rage.

A paladin/sorcerer is still a paladin. It doesn't affect how faithful you are to your oath/god/whatever, you just don't draw as much power from that source.

A level 1 cleric can be more intensely devout than a level 20 cleric. The level 1 cleric simply isn't as good as using their incredible faith and turning it into miracles.

If I were a Paladin that MC'd into Fighter, I would still say I'm on the righteous path of God, I have simply taken up other habits in order to enact justice/whatever.

Oh.
>your faith was strong but you needed proof, there was nobody on the roof but there's some rats in that basement and 50gp if you kill them

Physical training is always good, so fighter or maybe barbarian is valid.
Wizard if your domain is knowledge is also fine.
Warlock if you serve some higher eldritch/infernal power.
Druid if you have a nature domain is acceptable.
Rogue if trickery.

Crisis of faith/shattered faith. Also the ol' "paladin falls".

At least the one in ToA is super infantile so the weaker state makes sense.

>I'm converting everything in Elder Evils to 5e
>the returner returns
godspeed

If adjusting stats counts, constantly.

I concur. My current char is a Paladin 2/ Bard x who's solemn oath is to protect the beauty in the world, very much Oath of the Ancients, but holding true to his love of discovery and art.

Truly the coldest and most broken of sidequests

I'd be interested in that blog. If you're worried about high level stats, just do low level monsters until you're comfortable.

If you want to work on that, I'd advise looking at either Paragon rules (some fucker came up with that) or consider how legendary actions/lair settings work.

Have any of you ever outsourced a major NPC/villain to be run by someone outside the group? How'd it go?

I had a rogue who had a kid he abandoned in his backstory grow up to join an order of paladins. The kid served as a secondary antagonist in that campaign, trying to bring her evil father to justice. In the end, Rogue sacrificed himself to save his daughter. Next campaign, Rogue player played as the daughter. It went very well.

I ha e actually, when introducing a new player to the group. I had him play an npc they found in the dungeon, then when the players got attacked I killed him and put the players in a pretty dire situation, only for the players real character to show up and save them.

It went over pretty well