MTG modern general

pic related triggers the burn player edition

Playing
hating
brewing
>thread q

If you had to pick 1 out of the ten guilds from ravnica to join, what one would it be and why?

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/decks/91953/807258-coalition-victory-modern?saved=1&lng=en
mtggoldfish.com/deck/759469#paper
tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=23390&iddeck=181615
mtggoldfish.com/deck/750293#paper.
mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/modern
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper)
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-09-15-Odu-temur-dragons
magic.wizards.com/en/content/2017-magic-online-championship-series#OpenEvents
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Izzet
>MonoB Badstuff (Devotion?) losing to Ensnaring Bridge

What cards would you like to see being played more in modern?

Orzhov
make money, live forever and mostly stay out of guild rivalry fights

Orzhov, black/white is my favorite colour combination. also their angels are neat.

Actually Leyline is super beatable. Not only is it only live if its in opening hand, even if you do get to put it out you have 3 other dead draws in the deck through drawing multiples, giving me more time to draw creatures, or Destructive Revelry. Creature starts beat it, and Double Strike on Boros Charm helps push through just a bit more damage. The only cards that actually triggers me as a Burn player is Collective Brutality, Spreading Seas and maybe Kitchen Finks. The worst is Brutality though since it hits so hard and its hard to have the Skullcrack ready for it since its only two mana.

Rakdos. No rules, orgies, violence and fun. High possibility to die.

Cavern of Souls and Bloodmoon in the same deck, am I just being an idiot?

what deck?

Golgari because they'll accept my foul NEET ways.

BR midrange vampires with blood moons and lilianas and stuff

What an ugly mess you made. I understand the power of both, but christ. Probably sideboard. No need to try and get greedy to steal a game

Sideboard what? the Caverns?

rate the deck I made to confuse and hopefully destroy my overly competitive friends.

The moon you dingus

Maybe sideboard spellskite? idk. Looks cool though. Keep at it brother.

am I missing something? Why run a Transguild and a Coalition in the SB without running Glittering Wish maindeck?

I never actually had a sideboard before and figured having extra copys of my win cons would be a good idea
im just a casual trying to be kitchen king
thats a good idea, what should I drop? one beast within?

>Get really interested in building a new deck
>Primer hasn't been updated for at least 5 sets
What's her name, Veeky Forums?

Gifts Ungiven

Reminder to stay in the other thread until it dies off. We don't need to be making new threads 100 posts before bump limit.

>want to build soulflayer
>primer is full of bad players like me
>learned nothing

I'm probably going to make golgari flayer with some bullshit but it's gonna be shit anyway

Tooth and Nail

I'm upgrading my mono black deck. Thoughts? No, I'm not adding Nykthos but I'm planning on getting 2 Liliana, the Last Hope when she rotates.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/759469#paper

tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=23390&iddeck=181615

Why would you not run Nykthos in a black devotion deck? It's like not running Cabal Coffers in a Sidisi commander deck.

Yep that's the deck mine is based off of I think. I like Surgicals over some of the cards though. I'm getting some of the Eldritch Moon cards when they rotate, and will get Red Cards later if I feel like it. Also Fulminator Mages are real expensive.
Too slow imo. It's a win-more card.

victim of night hits more things than go for the throat

>Too slow
Are you retarded? You can almost dump entire hands with it

Yeah probably a beast within. Funfact most of your sideboard can be tutored with Glittering Wish.

Trying to get into modern
Building either U Tron, Mono B Panharmonicon, or some Emeria shit

>thread q
If I'd be assured a decent position in the guild, Orzhov or Dimir, otherwise Simic.

thanks, never knew about glittering wish

I'd build a deck with staples, so you can always use them in another deck. Tron would be good, or a budget Death and Taxes since Aether Vial is so good. I made this a while back mtggoldfish.com/deck/750293#paper. I'd invest into some staples and see what decks you can make: mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/modern

>Are you retarded?
Just my opinion I guess, sorry. Seems pretty bad outside of commander.

Went 2-0 vs Troll Worship. Game 1 Strip Mined them out of lands with Crucible GQ while sitting behind a Bridge and a Lili (They have Leyline of Sanctity maindeck and in opener so I couldn't Lili them out). I asked them what their out to Bridge was, they said they had none and scooped when I mentioned it was gonna be a long 33 turns before they decked out.
Game 2 I got them down to 1 with Darksteel Citadel beats after killing both of their 3/2 hexproof regen trolls with Flaying Tendrils, Tezz's life loss killed them through Worship.
When will WotC reprint Baleful Strix for modern?

Shahriazhad. Lots and lots of Shahriazhad.

Brutality is probably the best card printed in like three years. If only pic related were just a little better like 4 dmg on the direct.

Given the colors I like, I should pick of Paths, IoEs, Serum Visions, and Fatal Pushes for now, and then Thoughtseizes and Snapcasters once I'm a bit more entrenched in the format.

I'd also recommend looking at the meta (mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper) and trying to make budget versions, or look up budget versions.

Any way I can improve this?
Chalice and Engineered Explosives are kind of out of my budget right now

when will collective brutality go in price? I need a couple

Also HOW DO I CONTACT THE CHINAMEN? I've got half of the deck completed but I'm not forking out another 500. I won't trade them or anything like that, I just don't want to fork out a months rent for it

>CHINAMEN
>frogposter
kys

It's already a modern staple like Fatal Push
Better buy it before it goes out of print or wait for modern masters 2027

Shouldn't it go down at least a bit in half a month when SoI rotates out of standard?

it sees almost no play in standard so probably not

Does anyone have the izzet polymorph list that was posted here like a week ago?

tier20 here we come wooooo!!!

notenoughfogs/10

I want to get into MTG but a few things are putting me off. I don't like how no matter your strategy if you don't draw the required amount of lands you get fucked. Also, I like to imprint my own personality and style in games I play but with mtg it seems unless you're good enough to build your own deck you have to netdeck. My other issue is no matter how good you are if the opponent spent more money they will win. Are these complaints retarded or is MTG not for me?

>if you don't draw the required amount of lands you get fucked
That's just simple statistics though. The more lands you put in the deck, the more likely you'll be draw them and vice versa
>with mtg it seems like unless you're good enough to build your own deck you have to netdeck
Netdecking isn't inherently a bad thing though. If you want to put your own style into a deck, you can. Most decks exist only as an archetype and act as a shell for whatever changes you might want to make. Sideboards are also a good way to put in a bit of your own play style.
>no matter how good you are if the opponent spent more money they will win
This isn't entirely true though. Yes, better cards tend to go for more money, but you can still be reasonably competitive with a budget deck. Hell, infect was never crazy expensive and it always performed well (until git probe was banned that is).

Point is, try out the game through something like Xmage and see if you like it, if you don't, no harm no foul.

Thanks user, I'm going to go to FNM tonight and check it out

8poly is pretty gnarly, maybe the thread is archived
don't worry the other 2 are in the sideboard

lol

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-09-15-Odu-temur-dragons
Would love to get some opinions on this dragon deck I've been sitting on for awhile, I'm a filthy casual and so are all my friends so I've never really known if it was good or not.

Far too slow to ever be competitive in modern but hey, it looks fun so you do you.

>until git probe was banned
I think the main thing that killed Infect was Fatal Push.

Why would that be the case?
Lightning bolt was and still is just as effective at killing infects creatures as push.
Infect died when it lost the ability to check if the coast was clear before going all in without having to use anything of value to do it.

I found an unused Mirrodin Starter deck pack with Disciple of the Vault in an old collection I bought from a guy. Is there anything fun I can build with that? I'm thinking something with Servo Schematics and the functional Atog reprint we got in the Kaladesh block.

Fair enough. I never actually played the deck, although I wanted to.

I know it probably wouldn't work well, but could someone help me with a deck centered around Evershrike? I love the ability to revive itself with an Aura, and between Edge of the Godhead's huge boost to its power and Glistening Oil/Spirit Loop being able to recur themselves for free, I just need a way to get Evershrike in the grave and survive the first few turns.

Hey guys I'm a new player and I bought the Duel Deck Blessed vs Cursed thing because I started playing with my dad so that way we each have a deck to play. I chose the blessed deck but I'm not sure how I should play it. Also is it good against other people or do I need to tweak it before heading to my local store and play against other people there?

Those kinds of decks are made to be expanded before serious use. At least get full playsets of your most important cards. Both decks are good starting points though, they have a lot of space to work with and also have some good stuff in them.

Putting cards you can't fit in your main into your side is a bad idea. The sideboard is for situational cards. What matches is the 4th courier good in and whats don't you want it against?

You can bring anything you like to play casual games in a store, but you'll definitely get more out of investment and research into a deck that's more powerful and suited to your particular playstyle.

It's often recommended to test decks over a freeware program like cockatrice or Xmage before shelling out for the real thing.

Burn player here.
Leyline is overrated desu.
Firewalker and forge tender are much bigger pains in the assignment.

>assignment
Ass
Fuck my phoneposting faggotry

>Infect died when it lost the ability to check if the coast was clear before going all in without having to use anything of value to do it.
I've never played with or against infect, but I often see this. As I've never really seen the deck in action (well I've seen it in videos a couple of times I think), what is the game plan when you gitaxian probe and you see that the enemy does have answers?

Scoop.

swing without using your pump spells, hope to draw more creatures than they have answers

You have perfect info, so navigate around it. If it's a bolt, lead with Mutagenic Growth leading into a kill, they have to cast it to not die but because you can sequence around it you win. If you have lots of creatures and Become Immense in hand just feed your excess dudes to it and finish the thing with Inkmoth. If it's an edict, sit tight until you have two dudes or a Spell Pierce.
And this is false, Infect died because of printing of Push which means now the deck has 3 4-of 1-mana kill spells to grind through, in addition to having a slower average goldfish than Storm and no plan B if your opponent draws more removal than you draw Infecters (noble kills are way more rare than in Legacy with Berserk). Probe was training wheels for pilots who knew what the fuck they were doing, its best use was keeping greedy as fuck zero land openers on the draw and having Become Immense online on turn 2.

dropped the transguild and a first of suns
for a spriggan as something that can do transguilds job without dieing to artifact hate and knight of new alara to make my spriggan and transguild less boltable

how do you counter such leyline if you're mono red burn?

By casting Goblin Guides and Swiftspears and Lava Spiking yourself for Prowess while your opponent stumbles with a bad hand he kept off the back of Leyline.

By playing a better deck

Mono Red Burn should be on the creature plan, swiftspears, goblin guides, lightning elementals, eidolons, and vexing devils

Idon'tknowwhatI'mtalkingabout.jpg
noice meme m8

Ask user for opinions, get user opinions

By the time you get that much mana from it you would have dumped your entire hand. It's good for something like Consume Spirit though.

Mono red burn is shit though
There's a reason naya and boros burn consistently top more tournaments

I can't remember the last time I saw someone use Naya. Nacatl isn't that good anymore and adding green just for Atarka's command is not worth it. I think most people stepped over to Boros.

Green is for Destructive Revelry too.

Reminder that Lightning Helix is a bad card for Burn and should not be in your deck.

And what card would you replace it with?

Bump in the night is better

Not that guy though

RB burn is a meme

It just got new draw tech

And there's always something to be said for running an unexpected deck

Jund Burn is where it's at

Anything that isn't Lightning Memeix
You're literally paying white for 3 life that doesn't matter in most matchups.

Lightning Bolt ;^)

It's better than every other burn spell in modern that isn't lightning and rift bolt, stupid

>playing
Boros Burn
>hating
Tron cuz I'm a scrub.
>brewing
Was brewing Sultai Emerge, but realized I'm a stupid netdecker and gave up.

>guild to join
Do I have to pick one?

Omenshift is fucking dank

I prefer BtL Scapeshift myself. Will be taking it to a PPTQ tomorrow most likely.

Primeval titan was a mistake

Omenshift doesn't even use Prime Time

Valakut was a mistake too

>Jund Burn
This kind of trash makes me want to puke
But at the same time I love it.

The mistake was making it non-legendary but I'm not one to complain

Is the $40 to enter a the Magic Online Championship Series Open worth it? Do I get to actually keep the cards that I pick out of the packs, or do I have to turn them in somewhere once I inevitably get my ass kicked out in the first round because I'm a newfag?

>googling is hard
magic.wizards.com/en/content/2017-magic-online-championship-series#OpenEvents

They don't anymore? List?