What are your house rules like?

>free feat at level 1
>confirm crits
>another free feat for instant death at being brought to 0 hp
>

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/rCNVhpS4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Crits already kind of suck. They aren't exciting as they rarely come up and you aren't even guaranteed to do more than average damage, as you can roll for shit. I wouldn't make them worse by requiring confirmation. Personally, I'd prefer to have them always do max damage plus one additional weapon die on top of that.

Also, I use exhaustion more. If you get up from death, fall off a cliff and live, or anything of the sort, you normally just dust yourself off and continue going all out. Just add a point of exhaustion when that shit happens.

>>another free feat for instant death at being brought to 0 hp

what?

Some systems let you live when you're dropped to 0hp but you fall unconscious. I guess this guy lets you trade survivability for power.

Pastebin related.
pastebin.com/rCNVhpS4

Bump for interest

Also assuming were playing dnd one of mine is "crit damage is one maximized damage instance + one normal damage instance", thus a d8 crit becomes 8+d8 instead of 2d8 to ensure you wont get fucked on a crit
They're already rare enough, might as well make them truly good

Also, no darkvision or low light vision on any player race, only very specific monsters get that bonus

And no retarded instant spells like summon water and food, create houses, tongues, etc. You're a caster, not a god.

>Personally, I'd prefer to have them always do max damage plus one additional weapon die on top of that.

Oh, so 4E?

Those rules sound 100% acceptable

>You get one boozy drink for the night (had to institute this when one guy proved he could not control his intake).
>No phones, but you get two warnings.
>No talking ooc unless its while we're on break, you're settling something rules-related, or you're talking to the GM.

For D&D specifically, there are tons of changes I implement.
>Casters cant take combat spells above lvl2
>Paladin smite is changed to an automatic critical hit.
>We use tokens to track things like Rage, Spells, etc that I 3D printed.
>No XP tracking, its run by the DM in the background and everybody levels at the same time.
>Good behavior, quality RP, recapping the last session, and/or showing dedication to the game gets you a luck point which lets you re-roll a D20 that lands 5 or lower once. Luck points dont roll over between games.

cute fantasy

Ah,he could have worded that better.

Personally I think thats kindof crap because it massively changes stat priority. If you're a beefy enough class Con is no longer useful to you AT ALL.

These rules work for most people I play with. Unless you're talking about the games themselves, which, yeah, I guess they're kinda cute.

What do you mean by combat spell?
Is this Pathfinder? if that's the case, the most useful spells are not really "combat spells" are they not?

Anything that deals damage. And yeah, thats true in several editions, but it makes wizards etc focus more on utility and paradoxically makes them take more middle of the road spells. As a Sorcerer you wont bother to learn Speak With Dead if you dont have a combat spell you're just flinging around. The limitation on combat spells forces casters to take flexible utility spells if they want to actually use most of their spells per day.

I'd suggest giving certain spells a good read to readjust their level or amp up that cap to level 3
I get what you're trying to do and I'm 100% down with it, but certain "combat" spells are used more for their utility than their damage (i.e. Vampiric Touch)

>Anything that deals damage.
Do you mean attacks that reduce HP out attacks that are meant to generally damage? Do you only count things like Fireball as attack spells out also things like Save-or-Die or Save-and-Die spells?

>Long rest: Comfortable bed in a resonably civilized place, potential access to medical care.
>Allows for: As many hit dice as you want. Removal of wounds (as in GM), recovery of long rest abilities
>Short rest: Everything else.
>Allows for: 1 hit die, recovery of short rest abilities

Turns up the ressource management a bit.

Ah so it's not used as a nerf to op casters.
Well personally, if they want to waste their spells per day to do basically what a ranger would do as a full round, then they can go ahead.
At least they're not ruining the game for the rogue by teleporting through the dungeon while invisible and magically detecting traps ad closed doors.

Stealing this

For my modern military game I have a set of gulf war trading cards I award for good role-playing and particularly cool actions. At any time a player can cash in their card for a benefit based on the card. For example, last session one player used his AH-64 card to blow up an enemy sniper that was targeting him and another used an Education card to teach herself how to fly a crop duster.

Our caster classes were a bit sceptical at first, but it just leads to the cantrips, rituals, etc. getting more spotlight, and regular spells being a bigger deal. And since attack cantrips scale, your Caster is far from useless.

Oh and it also obviously buffs non-caster classes like Fighters in comparison, whose abilities are all short rest. And makes wounds a bigger deal.

>confirm crits
You monster.

Nah, this

It really is amazing how much 4e improved 3rd edition's design, and yet people hate it because of how it presented itself.

This with the caster change from I wonder how they'd work together.

No idea - might work but then again we wanna see the Wiznerd throwing meteors etc. at high levels - just not every fucking time.

Yeah, thinking about it again it seems like one or the other, as they both address the same issue of caster power. Both is just too heavy a nerf.

Either you get meteors less often, or no meteors at all.
No meteors less often just sucks.

>confirm crits
That's not a house rule, though.

So... no Fireball???

But it's the most thematic possible spell.

I run high-octane games. Mostly in open d6 but this can be used for any system really.

The will to keep fighting.
You reach 0hp and can fall down unconscious or you can keep fighting.
Take your turn as normal.
Will you keep fighting, if no you fall down.
If yes
Roll your con / will power / soul stat and roll equal to or higher then the minus hp you have. So you got -8 hp you need to roll 8 or higher.
If you fail that it you die, no coming back, no reborn the monster. You gone.
If you pass you take d6 damage and your turn ends.

Someone once called it the zoro rule

Why only on 5 or less. Why not just a reroll?
Do people still track xp and not just use story?Thats kinda cool, do they draw at random. I wonder how this would work for other settings. Maybe I could crack out that massive stack of yu-gi-oh cards

The draws are at random, which makes it way more fun. See, the deck has literally anything from A-10 warthogs to chemical firefighters. There's also an element of risk, because if they draw iraqi equipment(of which there is much less in the deck), I immediately play the card for the enemy. The best card is Commander in Chief, where the president immediately intervenes on the player's behalf.

You would probably need to determine in advance what each card means. Like is Pot of Greed literal or thematic? I don't know much about yu-gi-oh but dropping dragons on the field might be a little OP.

How does it buff non-casters? The only thing changed is that they heal less

Caster are more shit so martials feel better in comparison. The same way breking Lebron James' legs doesn't make me better at basketball, but let's me kinda have a shot.

That you, SweetSoulBro?

You realize damage spells aren't even a good choice, and the broken ones are utility?

We usually have 2-3 players and the DM.
Makes the PC's a little light on actions.
Each character gets a free "background" feat from the 3.0 feats book.
They usually take University, for the skill points, or warrior born for the +1 damage.

No

If we're playing Pathfinder, I allow my players to take a lesser version of the Leadership feat starting at level 3.
They have to take the actual feat at level 7 if they want the followers, and the lesser version only entitles them to a cohort.
If, for example, the players want a love interest character or local favorite from around whatever town they're in to come on adventures with them, they have to be willing to commit a feat to it. This shows me, as the DM, that this NPC really means a lot to them, and that they're as willing to protect them as they are to depend on them.
This has mostly led to PCs having their love interests adventure with them. So, cute things, mostly.

I think it would just be power boosts. A dragon could give a breath attack or a boost to damage.
Pot of greed could be a boon to shopping.
I would let the players fluff it

>D&D 5e
Alignment gets replaced. Either I steal the icons from 13th Age and ask that you align yourself with one of them or just ignore alignment entirely.
I use the Escalation Die from 13th Age liberally. At the start of the second round, I put a d6 on the table and it goes up by 1 every round. You can add the value of the Escalation Die to your attack rolls but when that thing hits 6 there will be complications thrown in.

I think there are already complications if a 5e combat encounter lasts more than six rounds

I play GURPS, so...

So what's the practical difference between open d6 and mini six

Mostly just a list of what does and does not exist either in general or as something for the players. Guns exist, but not for players. Driders flat-out don't exist.

>mini six vs open d6
It has 4 major stats rather then 6 (somtimes 7 if your a caster).
I guess its sort of like Fate Acc Vs Fate Core.
Looks like Mini 6 is free right now too, while opend6 is PWYW