Tetrapod vs Hexapod Dragons

When a Hexapod dragon walks across the ground, it does so on four stubby legs like a Weiner dog with a pair of fairy wings on it's back.

When a Tetrapod dragon walks along the ground, it does so using it's wings to pull it forward in great strides, showing strength and power.

Also since they don't have two unnecessary lumps of meat in the front providing drag Tetrapod Dragons are faster.

(you)

Literally no one cares

Tetrapod dragons look really weird, and wing-walking is dumb. Also you could just have dragons that don't have stubby legs.

Because fuck D&D categorizations.

Bats think you're a shit.

Game Freak is clearly running out of ideas.

MY MAN. Reign of Fire was the shit. Skyrim was the shit. The thing they had in common? Dragons with wing mutherfucking arms.

Personally? I think it should be like distinction between mortals and angels. Tetrapods are enormously powerful, but ultimately mortal creatures. They evolved from lesser beasts, and their breath is a jet of venom they ignite with a modified tooth.

Hexapod dragons are the divine, euclidean truth of dragonhood. They have always been, and always will be. They need not heed laws of aerodynamics and chemistry; they soar gracefully even with their four legs spread to strike, and their breath is divine wrath wrought manifest.

>dragons are supposed to be greedy
>dragons with more arts can rub more pairs of hands.
>a dragon with more arms can also steal more coinage.
>therefore 6 armed dragons are the real dragons.

No other species in the kingdom animalia has more than 4 limbs. I think tetrapod makes more sense to me for some reason.

>No other species in the kingdom animalia has more than 4 limbs.
Are you retarded?

>every game of Shadowrun ever

Vermithrax is love.

Oh shit sorry, what did i mean. I mean vertebrates.

That's the way Dark Souls did it and by Gwyn that's the way we do things 'round these parts

That makes more sense, and is correct in real-world evolutionary theory. Vertebrates are tetrapods and, by definition, have four limbs. All flying vertebrae evolved flight the same way: turn the forelimbs into wings.
This is a fantasy setting, though. Don't really need to stretch my imagination to accommodate a hexapod dragon compared to, you know, wizards and shit. But if you were going to stubbornly cling to justifying six limbs with pseudo-science then give your dragons an exoskeleton (insects have more than four limbs because they have no need to justify a bunch of girdles to manage them) or create an alternate ecology starting from sarcopterygii where hexapods are common in your world.

>All flying vertebrae evolved flight the same way: turn the forelimbs into wings.
Technically gliding, but Sharovipteryx says fuck you I do what I want

Call me when the gaggle of weird gliding lizards figure out how to flap.
But yeah, those might be a good starting point for dragons, as well. But they'd be weird looking.

I would favour the alternate ecology, personally. Fantasy already has enough weird hexapods to fill out what players will interact with.

Also Monster Hunter, kinda.

That is fucking adorable.

I read that book. It was great.

Virgin tetrapod vs Chad hexapod when?

That fucking derpy little reptile.

>not putting wings on your legs
>not sailing thru the air to deliver the d

The wierdos of the animal kingdom.

While technically correct, certain ancient animals figured out a method of gliding that didn't involve turning limbs or even ribs into wings. Coelurosauravus evolved completely separate bones for its gliding structures. They aren't exactly limbs, but they are rather unique compared to other flying reptiles.

>Implying Monster Hunter and Dark Souls aren't the same series

I don't care about classification autism, wyverns just don't look as cool.

They're more loyal though. Once they get to like you, they might as well be really large dogs.

>One gait is 'dumber' than the other

Here's the thing about stupid-looking things as pointed out by a mass effect concept artist: when you break it down, a lot of things look fucking stupid and few things look inherently badass, much less on purpose.

Things become frightening and tough when you see what the stupid thing can do.

>Why does that lizard have so many horns? he looks sill- holy fuck he just snapped a giant spider in half!
>That shiny wasp looks fucking gay- oh, jesus it just went HR Giger on that poor beetle!

So, yeah, tetra or hexapodial gaits? Either one will stop looking dumb when the thing is still moving on the ground much faster than you can run, cover your whole body in third degree burns even if you can somehow outrun it, and and snap every bone in your body with casual movements.

Well, to be fair with things in my own setting, Dragons didn't actually 'evolve' like two thirds of the species in the world.

They're basically the resulting experiments of an ancient civilization attempting to attain godhood. In other words: dragons got made from the ground up to be at least mortal demi-god creatures. Not that they remember any of that.

Want a stroke though? My hexapod dragons will sometimes 'interlock' their forarms with their wings for more power in flight.

Your stupid comparison is meaningless without being put in the form of a Virgin vs Chad meme.

>Things become frightening and tough when you see what the stupid thing can do.
This. I thought bulls looked stupid when I first saw one irl. Just cows with horns, yaknow? Than I saw what it can do to a car. Jesus.

Whoever translated this is incompetent.

What the fuck is this from?

Probably Centaur Worries or whatever it's called. The actual story is boring.

It's from manga A Centaur's Life where all life evolved from hexapod creatures because of the mentioned reasons. Give it a read, it's a really strange experience.

>dragons that don't have stubby legs
Just imagine a dragon with long ass legs running like a kenyan towards you

Yes, exactly. But the speech bubble says "hexapods...eventually went extinct".

I think you meant wyvern vs dragon

Oh wow, guess I just looked at the pictures, said to myself, yup, know this one and went assuming. My bad. Translator really derped.

the wings are mutated ribs, hence the weakspots.

Yeah...no one gives a shit about your gay ass setting.

Compare how fast a dog walks, vs a bat.

>insects have more than four limbs because they have no need to justify a bunch of girdles to manage them

They have "more than four limbs" because they evolved from ancestors that had more. They're still limited by "a bunch of girdles" equivalents - the number of segments/tergites in their bodies. Notice how all modern flying insects have two pairs of wings (or one and then the other one modified). And three pairs of walking appendages. That's because they're thoracic legs that are limited to that number of legs, the same way vertebrates are limited to four. Same deal when you look at arthropod abdominal (looking at you, crustaceans (which insects are phylogenetically a part of)), and cephalic appendages (i.e. mouthparts et al.)

tl;dr Insects have 6 + 4 legs for the same reason vertebrates have 2+2

Clearly a Charizard

A centaurs life, the plot is plebeian, but the worldbuilding is neat

it's basicly an alternate reality that splits off in earths early life by repeating the mutation how we got our rear limbs.
the justification of hexapods outcompeting tetrapods is probably due to the extra set of limbs allowing for more thrust in water and supporting its weight on land, allowing thicker skin for survivability or something

Dragons are not animals, they are magical beings.
Magical, sentient beings benefit far, far more from having delicate, opposable digits than they do from marginally better ground locomotion. Indeed, the only time a dragon is going to be remaining on the ground for extended periods is in internal, subterranean conflicts, likely in its own lair, in which mobility is restricted anyways.

But Giratina...

isn't that a centipede god?

Not even gonna lie, I fucking love that thing. Edgy backstory be damned, that is one of my favorite designs of anything I have ever seen.
I like Altered more than Origin, though I do like the badass mouth-cover the crest becomes.

It's a lot of things.
4th gen was weird.

my absolute nigga, giratina is easily one of the best designed legendaries of all time.

Tetrapod is Wyvern
Hexapod is Dragon.

And Giratina is Octodecapod