EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Tutoring Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: How important is tutoring to you? How many tutors do you usually run (in a given color combination), and which ones are they in each color?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mirri-taxes-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zegana-clones-v2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chandra-09032017/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-09-14-twiddle/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/ixalan
mtgstocks.com/prints/31852
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>How important is tutoring to you? How many tutors do you usually run (in a given color combination), and which ones are they in each color?
its not really important but i always run at least 1 or 2 in each deck just to make sure i can get a card if i really need it

>thread question
i usually run about an average of 5 whatever number just as filler for my deck
>in blue I always run Wizard Cycling

Give me all your giant rattlesnake/nuclear deterrent cards, such as Aetherflux Reservoir, Tree of Perdition and pic related!

Not a fan. I run basic land tutors and I have love affair with niche tutors like Time of Need or Supply // Demand.

Otherwise, games feel too samey. Then again, same is true if you draw half your deck every game so it is pretty arbitrary.

Man, I hate hostage taker cards. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for you, there aren't a lot that just crush someone if they dare upset you.

Stuff like this could kind of count, I guess.

Pretty new to EDH. Looking for some feedback:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mirri-taxes-1/

put in more ramp and one or two more board wipes

My favorite boy, real fun with a damage doubler, not a real deterrent though, because if I'm playing him I'm giving him haste and tapping him come hell or high water.

>How important is tutoring to you? How many tutors do you usually run (in a given color combination), and which ones are they in each color?
I like running more toolbox tutors
ive grown really sick of cEDH recently and while tutors arent the reason, they probably add to the reason I dont play my Jace deck anymore

archon of justice isnt a good card
unless you play it in a birthing pod style deck
then its incredible
yes I will exile a perm and get a sun titan for 2 mana (or 1 mana and 2 life)

Meet my wife.

I've been working on a Zegana list filled with clones.

Clones are cool, but now they can also be draw spells! Sometimes drawing 30 cards.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zegana-clones-v2/

shes pretty qt
will make stronk boys
not as good in bed as you might think
muscle girls rarely are :(
kill me

Add 1 more card it says you are at 99
Make sure you have 8-10 ramp effects that cost 3 or less. A cursory look by me counted 3 (Cultivate, Kodama's, and Ring) though I might have missed a dork or something. Here are some suggestions. I would say suggestions that won't break the bank but you've got a 400+ build with swords, you can afford the good stuff.

Selesnya Signet
Coldsteel Heart
Thought Prism
Mind Stone
Marble Diamond
Moss Diamond
Mana Vault $
Grim Monolith $$$
Mana Crypt $$$

Don't Run lands that ETB tapped if you can avoid it. Ditch the gain 1 lands for your Painland and City of Brass, at the very least.

Maybe save a little room for that Ixalan artifact that becomes a Maze of Ith, Maze is really good with Mirri as you've already gotten.

You could probably do to take a couple more wipes. You don't want the board to be TOO insane, because then you're flat if Mirri's protection bites it.

Consider ways to get Mirri tapped without her dying horribly to blockers. Maze of Ith untaps her, so you'll be unprotected. Throw a Paradise Mantle into the ramp package, maybe a little Convoke (Sprout Swarm is nice). oh, and ROGUE'S PASSAGE. I know it only taps for colorless but getting an unblockable enabler on the least futzed with permanent type is really good for her.

Is that a fucking biceps piercing?

I wonder if every card with mark tedin artwork is decent to great.

Meet my wife.

Shut up, Ixidor.

meet my wife, elfen uber alles.

No.

What would you suggest taking out to replace with ramp?
The 1 card I'm missing is the reserved space for the Ixalan artifact you reference. Tapped out didn't have it as an option when I last checked. I agree with your other suggestions. I'm just having a hard time cutting cards out for more ramp.

>elfen uber alles
feels good man
also meet my wife

and ive seen a bunch of you guys who claim her as a waifu
i talked to her last night
she said she never even met any of you fuckbois before
and then we totally banged

Meet my wife.

>the eldrazi invade equestria
I want this set

>Tapped out didn't have it as an option when I last checked
"Skip Validation" is your friend.

For cuts...

Are you really going wide enough for Voice of Resurgence? I don't see much of a token package otherwise (though the more I look, the more I think it's just subtle)

Are you hitting the "Gain life" button enough to justify Archangel of Thune?

Cast Out is fairly shitty removal. Generally, I'd want the O-ring or just to wrath, and your deck is poised to handle creature threats pretty well with mirri and maze

Glare of Subdual is kind of funky because you generally want to swing away. You can't tap a creature to stop it once it's actually been declared an attacker.

Only one of your lands doesn't produce mana (Maze of Ith). You could probably chuck two basics for two ramp cards but that would be the last move for fine tinkering. I swear by 35 mana-producing lands to at least 10 good ramp.

FlipGideon's backside is not very good for you. His +2 ability has bad dissynergy with your pillow fort effects since your opponent can decline to pay. Meanwhile his +1 is kinda nice interference running, but there are better options. Becoming an invincible 4/4 is also a kinda lame payoff. So you could cut Kytheon.

If she gets big enough, can we invade HER?

id probably drop a land or 2 because you are in green and will be able to reliably get your basics. id consider getting rid of sphere of safety as you dont have many enchantments and it will only keep your safe in the very early game since this is commander and having a billion mana is common. for ramp i would add rampant growth, command sphere (mostly for the card draw aspect later), explosive vegetation, or some similar stuff. as for a board wipe there are many to choose from but my personal fave that you dont have is fumigate because its cheap and the life gain is very welcomed the later the game goes. also this is just me but i would take out the flip gideon, was never a fan of that card. id also put in a heroic intervention if you can find the room

i know that's more than just ramp but now that i look at your list a little more id change more things

when this card gets triggered does it tap all the other lands for mana or does it tap them without producing mana?

Thank you both for the suggestions and time to type up your responses. I'll take a crack at some edits to the deck shortly. Are they're any big/important cards for my strategy I may have overlooked?

It would tap them without producing mana when the ability resolves, but the affected player can just tap their other lands before the ability resolves and get the mana anyway.

If you were hoping it could somehow make an opponent only ever get to produce one mana, you'd have to be playing against a complete moron.

When it gets triggered your opponent can choose to tap them all for mana as they'll have priority before it resolves. When it resolves they'll all tap for no mana.

If the ability resolves, no mana will be produced, but the player can tap the lands to be hit for mana first

hey sorry i forgot one more card id add if you can find the room. put in rishkars expertise, its a REALLY good card in pretty much any green deck. can draw you like 3 cards then drop a sword or hammer of nazhan or whatever

Alright, this didn't get any traction last thread, but it is worth trying again. Any of y'all wanna give me some feedback on my Chandra.dec? It is garbage for obvious reasons (being a burn deck with no combos in EDH, being a red deck that isn't secretly monobrown, etc.) but I am curious to see if y'all have any good cards on theme that I missed? I've won games with it in my meta, so power level isn't too big of a concern.

I'd really appreciate y'all having a look. I got myself an Ugin for the deck to help clear Enchantments and for the one or two planeswalkers matters cards so I need to slot that in.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chandra-09032017/

I want

Fun
Spicy
tap effects

in esper

As in activated abilities with the tap symbol or abilities that twiddle or care about tapping?

You building Merieke?

Yup. Got all of the decent inspired cards, looking for other jank

Stuff like triad of the fates, xathrid gorgon, anything with fun tap effects. My playgroup is pretty casual

Sick. Okay, let me find my random awful Grimgrin twiddle list.

Never built this IRL, but here ya go. It has plenty of jank. My fave is using Orb of Dreams and Amulet of Vigor to make the world's most inspired Kismet.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-09-14-twiddle/

Kind of old and was UB, so worth looking into White exert for example.

>user are you alright? let me hold you honey...

>jace
>femme fatale
is there something about jace they arent telling us?

to filter or not to filter?

Wooded bastion is strictly better in GW and most Naya/Abzan decks.

How many cards in the colors do you have that have double mana symbols of the same color?

probably should have clarified i dont mean for GW specifically just in general what people thought of filterlands either cycle

Is Fatal Push any good in EDH?

I pulled one the other day and was wondering if it's a good kill spell in the format.

>specifically just in general what people thought of filterlands either cycle

An absolute lifesaver in some situations. I have a Naya deck that I have all three Lorwyn filters in and they've saved my ass and been the only source of either red, green, or white mana on occasion and I've got a super good mana base with revised duals in it.

Not really, no.

It's good in Modern because you're running 4-8 fetches in a 60 card deck to turn on Revolt and there are very few decks that curve above 4. If that's your meta then it's good, if not there are better.

Eeh? As spot removal goes it's not terrible, but it would seldom if ever be my first call. I think Tragic Slip is better in EDH. Slip hits real fat when it's 'on' and denies regeneration and indestructible

They're so fucking expensive. I want them but fuck me, man.

I just want to run Kozilek. Fuck.

Alright thanks guys. Guess I'll try and get a set for Modern than although I don't think I'll ever run a set in Eldrazi

these are pennies a piece
the others are like 8-10 bucks

Those are only preferable in 3+ colored decks where you have serious color fixing issues.
Otherwise the inability to tap on it's own is worse than entering tapped in a good deal of cases.

then why are signet considered good?

Depends on what kind of Eldrazi you're playing. The DnT variant sometimes uses it.

Because they're ramp.

because its 2 mana for a net of 1 that doesnt enter tapped
and because filtering mana is much better than what that guy thinks
even my GW selvala deck has a hard time getting the right colors
i can need gg and ww on turn three so that can be tough

Because Signets are +1 mana every turn after the turn you play it, and they don't take up a land drop.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/ixalan

Gishath Commander is gonna be 100% jank, lads.

I'm running Tron because Karn but if the Urza lands ever get banned I'll jump ship to the B/W variant that won the Kobe GP.

Honestly it'd probably be best to jump on the B/W Eldrazi train since it's a better deck that doesn't get shut down as hard as Tron I just want to use Karn.

They don't let me cast Kozilek. They also don't have the full cycle. Thanks though.

We got another set before we can say that.

>They don't let me cast Kozilek
>playing colorless
wew

God! As a geologist that map hurts. I've always hated giant circle islands with a sea with another island inside. That only happens under specific conditions that I doubt anyone on the team though of including. I know it is sparklewizard.png but fuck.

Gishath Pyrohemia Fight Club may be jank, but it is already looking fun.

To be fair, we don't have the scale. the "Inner Sea" could be Mediterranean-sized (or a significant fraction). which I believe would alleviate some of those issues?

Share geological mapmaking tips for would-be writers/GMs?

This is a 50 year old woman on Jund.
Your logic is worthless here.

Because they don't eat a landdrop dumbass.

I assume the image above is the entire map of all of Ixalan, which would mean that it's a map of an entire planet or planet-esque setting.

Nope, Ixalan is only one continent.

>which would mean that it's a map of an entire planet or planet-esque setting

Nope. There's another continent at least, which the vampires sailed from. "Ixalan" is both this continent and the name of the plane.

I'm fairly certain it's the "New World" only since there's no home turf for the Legion of Dusk, just beachheads. Still could be the size of South America, or even the Americas as a whole.

The fun to be had in the deck was never in question. I'm looking forward to it. It's just never gonna be any real threat in my estimation... which in turn makes it perfect for Commander?

>How important is tutoring to you?
Not very. I don't use them often, I only have 1 deck that really makes use of them and it's all-in on combi
>How many tutors do you usually run (in a given color combination), and which ones are they in each color?
UB runs the most at 4 (5 if you count Lim-Dul's Vault), and I have 1 at most in my other decks

It is one card in the 99.

You're still swinging big dicks at people.

>How important is tutoring to you?
Not very. I understand that there are people out there that run like 10 tutors in every deck, but I just can't be bothered. I'm not one of those people that put Demonic + Vampiric + Grim + Rune-Scarred + etc in every deck.

>How many tutors do you usually run (in a given color combination), and which ones are they in each color?
Depends on the deck's colors. I'll usually run 3 (Enlightened, Idyllic, Plea for Guidance) in GWx because I love enchantments and I love to get out my typical Privileged Position + Sterling Grove / Greater Auramancy combo, as well as other self-protection enchantments like Wheel of Sun and Moon.
In decks with B I only usually put in Diabolic Revelation and Increasing Ambition. To me, for a card to be worth including in my EDH decks, it has to have either massive value or re-usability.

It would be better if it were a smaller island since then it could be a coral atoll or a dormant volcano that has been weather down.

As for the spoiler. There is a lot that goes into what make a locality the way it is. So much that i couldn't fit it in a Veeky Forums thread. The main thing is think plate tectonics for landscape and lattitude for climate. If you really want to get into you should look into global circulation patterns and the Koppen Climate Classification. And like is trying to illustrate it is more about fun and being cool than being accurate. A good cheat for land shapes it to look up the earth in different eras. The way the continents were arranged when dinosaurs roamed the earth is very different than it is now. Or to go into photoshop/illustrator and grab two existing land masses [like africa and alaska], make them the about the same size. super impose one over the other and then rotate them both in different directions until you can't really tell that it is 2 real world places together. You can also just dump macaroni on some paper and trace it.

>pic semi-related
This mars if it had a sea level comparable to earth's.

If you read the lore it is an entire continent on the plane akin to new world.

>I love to get out my typical Privileged Position + Sterling Grove / Greater Auramancy combo
"p-please no interaction"

I usually also include things like old Sigarda, new Sigarda / Leyline of Sanctity, Angel of Jubilation, Solemnity, City of Solitude, Price of Glory, Vexing Shusher, Prowling Serpopard, Archangel of Tithes, Angelic Arbiter, Sphere of Safety, Norn's Annex, Fountain Watch, old Linvala, Leonin Arbiter, Leonin Abunas, Elixir of Immortality, etc in appropriately colored decks.
Pretty much anything to keep my shit safe.

My Azusa runs like 12~ tutors if we count the ones that grab me nonbasic lands and creatures together, my Ruric only has Wild Pair as far as tutoring stuff goes.

>mfw learning about Yidris Doomsday/Waste Not

Oh God, I want it but my group will kill me after what I did to them with the precon

What other fun stuff can you do with the Ogre Wizard?

>almost all waifus
I sincerely hope that's just a coincidence, user, and you didn't choose those because of their appearances.

Build with your dick.
Play with your head.

Do you think Smuggler's Copter will ever end up being worth anything like say Sensei's Divining Top? I'm wondering if I should grab a set now and not regret it in the future since they were banned.

It is a coincidence because I'm gay.
For some reason I usually end up liking female characters more than males.
ex. Avacyn, Arlinn, Alesha, Elspeth.

>"budget" list
>still a thousand dollars

Nah, it was only really good in draft/sealed/standard. Any other format has more and better options.
Plus the price hasn't moved up at all since it was banned.
mtgstocks.com/prints/31852

>Alesha
>female

>tfw no waifu commanders

All I've got is zombie Sidisi, Teferi, and Marath.

How do y'all feel about cantrips in a non-storm deck? I need to power up the draw power in my Aboshan deck, but for the life of me, I can't help but include the usual package of Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, and Serum Visions.

On a similar topic, is it worth running Memnarch in a deck that isn't explicitly about artifacts?

What mono U commander is most fun?

Yea, I know.
Slips my mind whenever I talk about Alesha.

Jalira, Master Polymorphist

Arcanis is literally "Resolve Mind over matter to win"
Talrand is cantrips and counterspells galore, closest thing to aggro monoblue will have in EDH for a long, long time.
Arcum is a piece of shit and SHOULD FUCKING DIE.
Braids is somewhere between hilariously dumb and just plain fucking stupid.

>Braids is somewhere between hilariously dumb and just plain fucking stupid.
Stupid in a good or bad way?