MtG Ixalan Spoilers

We got the last of them today.

Mostly commons and the occasional uncommon, but there's a few gems and important reprints.

>Slightly more versatile Alter's Reap.

Neat.

So is this incorrect, or do we finally have the tribal set with no (0) lords in it? Have MaRo's dreams finally come true, a set which undermines itself completely?

Merfolk have a lord. The one that gives Merfolk weak hexproof.

Lords don't always have to boost stats.

>no lords
while has a point, there's also a regular old anthem-lord too, so you're wrong.

If you count lords as creatures which have huge synergy with creatures of the same tribe, then this set has plenty of them.

If you count lords as creatures that gives other creatures of the same tribe a flat power/toughness increase, this set still has a couple.

that's some pretty good art

Trilobite tribal when?

Why isn't this just a crab or an insect?

ancient creatures, dinosaurs n shieeet

This made too much sense as an inclusion

fuck, i get it. nice flavor

That is a neat flavorful ability

Trilobite lord in Muraganda when?

Wow, an anthem lord at 7 whole mana, and a lord that isn't all that good to begin with.

You sure proved me wrong.

YOU CAN'T MAKE ME SACRIFICE MY DOGGO

every fucking card has some neon red/orange gradient highlight in the art

You're also missing . "Bad" lords are still lords.

Admiral Beckett Brass?

> there are no lords
> here are seven lords
> exactly, no lords

That's pretty cool, would be nice to see on a bigger beast like the 1/7.

Given that "dinosaur"="big butt" before dinosaurs were even really a thing, some really generous toughness boosting for dinos would be appropriate.

p.gud in limited

I so want to build some kind of janky Dimir Control deck with Drake Haven and Revel in Riches.

And fuck the rules, I'm going to toss my tokens around. Like hell will a Pirate deck follow some lofty rule.

Did they do away with tribal noncreature cards, like they had in Lorwyn? I liked those.

>no card named Keelhaul
>no card named Black Spot
if i don't get at least one of these in rivals i'm gonna kill a man, namely Mark Rosewater

Maro didn't understand the way to use them, so they got labeled as a confusing mechanic. It turns out when you just put tribal on spells that don't really have anything to do with the tribe, it makes tribal look pointless. Who knew?

These two cards have completely revitalized the card pool in limited for me.

White now feels like the best secondary colour in the set, and blue cemented itself as probably the strongest single colour.

Useful card. Better than it looks at first glance i would even bet.

Green is easily the most versatile colour this set. Fight mechanics have been the best thing to add to Greens colour flavour since the 90s, and this helps so much of the set fire for value.

All the keepers fantastic. I doubt I'll sac them all that often, but great critters for their costs, and Commons to boot.

From my initial take i would guess the following:
Pirates - Low powered - Aggro utility combo
Merfolk - Mid to high power - Aggro control
Vamp - Mid to high - Utility Sustain Midrange
Dino - Low to high - Ramp Midrange combo

I'm looking forward to UGr or UGw as being top colour combos this time.

Whats everyone else's thoughts?

I'm starting to agree with the Maro hate then.

That's a cute card

Post your shitbrews. Trying to do a budget Ramunap Red because I'm cheap and don't want to throw a lot of money into Hazorets/Chandras

4x Fire Shrine Keeper
4x Bloodlust Inciter
4x Bloodrage Brawler
2x Soul-Scar Mage
3x Captain Lannery Storm
4x Earthshaker Khenra
4x Ahn-Crop Crasher

4x Shock
2x Abrade
4x Lightning Strike
2x Vance's Blasting Cannons

14x Mountain
4x Ramunap Ruins
4x Sunscorched Desert
-
3x Chandra's Defeat
2x Glorybringer
2x Abrade
2x Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
2x Sweltering Suns
2x Blazing Volley
2x Insult /// Injury

>Pirates low
How about this?

Creatures appearing in art and flavortext but doesn't have their own cards
>Coatls
>Demons
>Minotaur Planeswalker
>Skeletons
>Zombies

Seriously Wizards?

Does pauper kuldotha/Affinity want this?

Noah Bradly scenery

Another Red Bear with upside

great vs merfolk
50/50 vs vamps
mostly bad vs dinos
Worthless vs pirates

Considering 3 of the 5 colours will have access to pirates consistently, in limited this might be bad. I would actually probably run this more often in a dino deck as another method of enrage triggering.

Until I can play the set a bit, I get the feeling its merely ok.

“They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spake, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.”
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

No, they tried using them again in Innistrad, only to find it came up except with a single Zombie support card, because in order for Tribal to matter, you need to fill your set with 'when you cast an X spell' and 'search for an X card' AND 'get an X card out of your graveyard'
Otherwise it's just pointless extra text that can prevent it from being reprinted easily.
I still think it's dumb that they just outright dropped it, but it wasn't because 'it was a confusing mechanic'

We also have not-Cradle in this set

I can do even better
>"Don't rattle me bones"

Well, a 3 mana instant Pyroclasm is still going to be overall decent, even in any red commander deck.

Unlikely.
Affinity has Perilous Research in it's colors already and rarely runs the full four. Thoughcast is usually good enough. Some Kuldotha players have been favoring Battle Screech and have been cutting Rebirths entirely. Spalshing an extra color would be a hard for the deck.

>Otherwise it's just pointless extra text that can prevent it from being reprinted easily.

Which is why you need to only put it on cards that are flavorfully 100% that tribe and actually have a tribal mechanic built in to themselves.

That's not to say it's going to be the perfect fit all the time, but when you have a lot of cards that are Tribal for 0 reason at all, it's no wonder they would see it as pointless extra text.

39 out of 136 critters are pirates.

so 28.67% of all creatures.

and only counting uncommon and common, 27 of 96, which means most of the time in limited it won't damage.... huh, same percentage, roughly 28.12% of the enemies board.

You're forgetting that if you pick this card there's a good chance you cut away some of the other players' pirates too

Pretty fucked up, considering that one of the main ways that the conquistadors liked to kill Indians was by feeding them to their dogs.

Wtf did the vamps eat the dog??!

But then what counts as 100% that tribe? Anything that references a creature type? Beyond that?
Do they go in every set or just sets with tribal themes? Does every token making card become a Tribal card?

Oh i know.

But the only tribe its good against is merfolk, where it would be great. If the opponent is using dino's with enrage, or pirates themselves, this card actively hurts you.

Against vamps, it is a 2 damage spread. By itself, thats not going to kill most of their critters. Now as pirates, you want to be attacking, so yeah, you will pick up a bunch of extra targets with this.

I'm not convinced its a great card. I would use it in an enrage dino deck more often than a pirate deck. And sideboard it more often than not. Especially with the better removal cards already in the set.

The name has to relate to the tribe, first and foremost. Secondly, the effect of the card has to relate to the tribe. If you have a card called Dragon's Roar that costs less if you control a Dragon, that'd be a prime example. Such a card wouldn't appear outside of a set without some degree of dragon tribal going on anyway.

Token making cards are a corner case, but should generally be restricted in cases where the name is very obviously tied to that tribe or a specific plane, and the set as a whole has a tribal theme. That way, a card that creates those tokens would count as the same type while in your hand or deck, rather than just the tokens themselves on the field.

It really isn't that hard to figure out.

I find it infuriating amonkhet couldn't have the mummy creature type since it was removed in the great clean up.

Just for Ixalan to bring back dinosaurs, oracle old cards back into dinosaurs, and give us fucking trilobite as a creature type.

So just looking at the whole set list, sealed is gonna be all about ramping into dinosaurs right? Merfolk and vampires just seem like they get mega outscaled.

pun intended?

I would agree.

It's either going to be pirate loot fueled dino's, or merfolk ramped dino's at the top.

With Vamps coming third I think over pirates.

>Against vamps, it is a 2 damage spread. By itself, thats not going to kill most of their critters
Kills all the lifelinking 1/1s though

I mean, I'm still excited for sealed because treasure is gonna make splashing to 4 or 5 colors easier. The bombs you do open you can play but if you don't open any bombs to spend the treasure on its definitely gonna be rough.

I could see some use for Merfolk, since the combo of Blue and Green offers a mix of ramp and utility.

I would expect it to be Pirates, Dinos, and Merfolk supplemented by Dinos. I don't think Vampires and pirates have enough synergy to mix with Black there, but I could see UG trying to draw out the game as they steadily build up a bunch of big dinos.

Good point. Yes, that definitely is an important niche, but really just means i will take it a bit earlier in draft for my sideboard.

This is probably my biggest gripe with sealed. Admittedly I'm pretty shit at sealed and draft, so whenever I run into someone who got a bomb and draws it, I'm usually fucked.
Depending on how bomb the bomb is, even the best players at my store can't do shit about it.
It's a less-than-fun experience when your promo is Hazoret's Undying Fury and two of your six rares are Djeru and the other four are spread across the colors of your weakest commons and uncommons.
Then my first opponent went adorned pouncer into pride sov into anointed procession into crested sunmare, I just scooped and went home.

Gimme gimme all the treasure

Wait, so Axis of Immortality is absolutely batshit insane. BW midrange vampires is going to be a deck for standard.

There's multiple vampires with clausless 'pay x life for effect' abilities. You're almost gurenteed a t7 win if the enchantment and your lifesink is unanswered. One lifesink gets indestructable too.

How do we build this deck?

These tokens are going to fuel so many "when artifacts ETB" decks. I wonder if any old affinity decks will see a resurgence in modern.

Unlikely I know.

What is the functional difference between

Gold/Treasure?

fuck ignore me. I found it.

Kaladesh had a mechanic called Improvise, that allows you to tap artifacts in order to reduce the cost of a spell, much like Convoke except with artifacts instead of creatures.

Imagine being able to tap your Treasure to cast an Improvise spell on the cheap, only to sac them to cast another spell. It would be far too advantageous.

yeah I feel foolish.

I kept thinking Gold had to tap also.

Cards available online when?

I want to get that booty and use my infinite wealth to buy my victory.

Is there a good way to make this into a valakut win condition?

Treasure also has the subtype 'Treasure' whereas Gold tokens have no subtype, and are just tokens named Gold - had they used Gold anyways, all the currently Treasure-matters cards would have had to say 'an artifact named Gold/artifacts named Gold' instead of 'Treasures'

this guy again.

core would be
4 Adento Vanguard
4 Glorifier of Dusk
4 Axis of Mortality

Deck is Wx, but there's strong synergy in black with the vamp legendary being a really good.

>basic land cards
no

mountains aren't basic land cards?

Valakuts are not basic land cards, and the only win-cons in Valakut decks that have ever worked are the ones that let you search your Valakuts and your mountains at the same time.

true, but has there been a way to search for 5+ mountains in one instant phase on turn 4 before?

Just need some way to flood a bunch of tokens and have valakut out.

Wait so you can't use tokens to improvise even though they are artifact tokens?

We've got two more sets in this plane, plenty of time for all of that.

No you can use tokens to improvise.

Both gold and treasure can be used for improvise.

Its just that gold can still be sacced after that for mana, while treasure cannot (you have to tap to activate its sac ability)

You can use them to improvise but you can't sac them for mana on the same turn that you improvise.

Already in use, sadly