>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread: What's the best "against type" character you've created? Bonus points if it's viable (if not optimal).

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/iglMj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Bugbear with Polearms
Oh my fuck.

tomb of annihilation pdf when?

I don't know if Forest Gnome Life Clerics of Pelor are against type, but I had fun with that one. I've only ever played 3 characters, the others being pretty standard.

Looks like catfood for constipated French rabbits!

have you tried not being poor?

Posting from last thread

>Okay, someone please explain to me the diference between giving one of my players a +1 Chain shirt, vs a Breast Plate, other than "one is magic"

What's to stop a character dual wielding hand crossbows if they have hooked nipple piercings and carry their quiver within range of their teeth?

Breast plate looks cooler you mongoloid

ToA leak album
imgur.com/a/iglMj

What might some lake sirens want with adventurers? I don't mean evil, murder sirens. Just some chaotic antics.

Sum fug?

nah not yet

Splash fights

definitely some fug

Also, they'd like the heroes to stop the thing polluting their lake. Or they lost their voices and the heroes have to get them back.

The ultimate wet willie

What are Sirens in DnD, mermaids or sea hags?
Also are mermaids supposed to be female Tritons?

>Reward; sexual relations

I think they're supposed to look alluring. So, I assume similar to the 3.5 ones?

I'm gonna buy it on Roll20 and at the same time I want a searchable pdf. There is nothing wrong with this.

Oh I bet there's a wet willie involved

>bugbear kensai monk dual wielding whips

magic items cost more. He could sell the chain shirt and buy a breastplate + 4600 worth of goodies.

Magic items block ghost touch.

___________the d____________

Mundane items block bad touch.

Doesn't stop ghost bad touch

>Spend my money on
>Starter set
>Battle mat
>Minis
>Dice
>Spend time on
>Reading all the books
>Learning the rules
>Making notes
>Paining the minis!
>Watching instructional YouTube videos
>Reading tips on running a game
>Finding future adventures
>Getting inspired

And a player chided me for not knowing a specific rules since it's "the GMs job", while he himself hasn't even read the basic free PDF.

Do your players appreciate you?

Not if the toucher has a high enough dex.

Sounds like a douchebag. What rule? Also yes, my players are all very nice and we have a good time.

He's a Pathfinder player and I'm learning the 5e rules. He keeps sort of ignoring that 5e isn't the same as fucking Pathfinder. It was concerning Attack of Opportunity.

Well tell him this isn't PF and if he wants to pretend it is he can go to another table and play PF.

Take no shit from assholes like this.

Where's the tortle package?

For sale, go buy it

Besides Aarakocra, Flying Tiefling variant and Yuan-Ti Pureblood are there any other races that are just straight up broken?

Has anyone here played Murders in Baldurs Gate?
I know its DnD Next material, but I was wondering if it can be fun with (heavy) modifications.

Yeah, Variant Human.

Dragonborn can get a racial feats that gives them wings from the UA, if flying is a big factor of broken for you.

Not for me, but I've never seen anyone allow flying characters (as a racial trait).
Yeah GMs don't always allow them, I can understand why, and sometimes if they do allow you, they won't let you take specific feats at level 1.

You might as well ask why you'd ever give your players any sort of +1 armor except full plate, or why you'd ever give them a +1 leather armor.
The answer: you should never do this, because there is literally no reason that anyone would ever enchant one of these types of armor.

Who would he sell it to? Nobody else has any use for it either.

>PF

Tell him to kill himself. It's a different game. When he DMs 5e, he can change the rules.

Magic items are immune to things like a rust monster or a black pudding's corrosive abilities.

>bugbear battlemaster with polearm and lunging attack

Same, playing a roll20 game atm and the organisation of the notes is *really* bad

Any mercenary that works for sexual favors will starve to death pretty quickly. You can't eat sex.
Well... you know what I mean.

>Players
>Appreciating the DM

Never going to happen, most of them can't even comprehend the amount of work that goes in

Delayed until they figure out donation system

Whats the point of the Quatermaster in ToA being a half-dragon and not a dragonborn? It's not like WotC ever uses dragonborn npcs anyway.

Because
>dragonborn

Because it involves someone screwing a dragon.

You're looking at this the wrong way my man, if you get a reward here in sexual favors that's less you spend when you get back to town.

Are they supposed to be reloading and recocking their crossbows with their teeth?

They're going to be missing teeth or nipples really soon.

Not that user but what if I have a halfling strapped to my front holding a quiver that can reload the crossbows? The halfling may or may not impaled on my character's cock.

I want to add a small bit of levity in CoS. Nothing too tone breaking, but I want to have some sort of off his rocker guy who wanders Barovia who genuinely believes he is Strahd von Zarovich and calls himself as such. He kind of looks like him but sounds nothing like him.

Strahd lets him roam the land and do this because it amuses him and it gets the guy in lots of sticky situations. Sometimes Strahd even rescues the guy from mobs of Barovians.

What should this guy's actual name be and how should he tie in otherwise to the narrative?

But I wasn't going to spend ALL of my money on sex back in town. I mean, I suppose I can forage and sleep in the wild, but even then I need SOME money for booze.

Question about handling loot and investigation/perception checks.

I am doing LMoP, and my group just cleared the Redbrand Hideout. My players forget to loot rooms, so after they cleared the dungeon they lazily said "oh btw, we loot the entire dungeon lol". How do I tackle that? There was a magical sword hidden in a crevice, and a powerful potion somewhere else. I felt like giving them those items was too easy. This isn't Diablo, after all.

That brings me to a question about investigation/perception. If they're in a small room and I ask them to roll perception, do you limit how many things they can conceivably see in one go? A player rolled high in the first room which revealed two hidden doors and a hidden pouch with some useful items. Was I again being too nice? I am afraid that if they roll well, and I don't let them see everything in a room, they'll think they've found everything and then either get stuck, or miss something important.

>Most against-type character
LG Half-orc fighter 1/bard 4. He was saved by a human paladin whose order ran an Orphanarium, and idolized the paladins. However, he didn't make the cut to join them when he grew up, so he enlisted in the army, where he made Captain before mustering out to find the paladin who had saved him as a child, who is currently AWOL.

I also played a Dwarf Cleric Pirate who angered Umblerlee and was cursed to be allergic to alcohol until he completed a task for her, which I guess is against-type in a meme kinda way.

If a player rolls high it's probably for the best to just reveal everything. My GM has gotten frustrated at the group repeatedly for not inspecting every single portion of the room individually despite not mentioning what features of the room really deserve such an inspection

Keep perception for dangerous items, traps and enemies. Use investigation for loot and set a DC beforehand for each item. If the just say "loot le dungun", make them roll investigation with disadvantage then use the result to either roll random CR appropriate loot or lower CR loot if the rolled poorly.

If they roll high on perception, give them all the general information about the area, probably only one secret, but also draw their attention to other areas that may hold secrets ("pages are scattered all over the desk," "all the bookshelves look pretty dusty except for that one," etc) that might motivate them to keep looking.

Ah, right, splitting up investigation and perception is a good idea! They're new players (and I'm a new DM), and they've never said "I roll to investigate".

That's the thing you should always have a stash held back for when fuggable monsters want to reward you that way. Come on man

Doesn't the knight background give you noncombatant hirelings? Reloading crossbows isn't technically fighting.

Just buy a repeating crossbow and a handful of spare magazines, jesus.

Those don't exist in 5e.

Why do you even give such posts a (you)?

Shame on you for engaging this poster. Especially you, anti-Satan.

Got a question Veeky Forums.

Dwarven Cleric o' the forge. Just hit 8th level. Got a few options for ability score increase or a feat, any opinions on what to take considering the following:

21 AC (Chain, Throwing Shield, Blessing and Soul of Forge). 18 Wis, so +2 gives a break point. 13 Str and 11 Dex, so both at break points.

For feats I'm torn between Elemental Adept for nuking fire elementals and damage average up, or War Caster for sweet advantage on concentration saving throws. Unsure about any others though.

They do in Out of the Abyss.

There is nothing wrong with using Halflings the way Yondalla intended them to be used.

Let him be a ghost Bard who keeps possessing people, and he auto succeeds because most are shells

War Caster or 20 Wis is probably the best, but what's your game like?
Do you do much physical attacking? Upping your Str might be worth it in that case.
Does your DM cast a lot of save spells at you? Resilient (Dex) might help, or Resilient (Con) since this will help your concentration as well as any Con saves.

I would go into fits of autistic anxiety if I didn't max out my Wis as much as possible as soon as possible

>What's the best "against type" character you've created? Bonus points if it's viable (if not optimal).
Dwarf Eldritch Knight.

lost tales of myth drannor when?

Its Princes campaign but the homebrew is pretty good. Red larch got obliterated by a sphere and we united the factions save zentarim to rebuild it.

That's really the only reason I considered elemental, because fire resistance jackasses.

I don't fight in melee too often. Paladin of conquest with a buttbuddy wizard hasting him kinda turns things into a fine puree. That and shit cant hit me in chain. Do have one of the sawtooth swords, so double dice on unarmored which is sometimes more thematic / effective.

We've started getting more save or suck spells like cloudkill but Its only recent, and the paladins aura helps mitigate them as well.

The everything spell related increase isn't a bad idea, but I like weighing my options.

>Bugbear Primeval Guardian Ranger w/ Glaive & Sentinel/Polearm Master

>Dex-based Eldritch Knight since dwarves don't need Strength to wear plate
>Hill Dwarf for bonus HP and better Wis saves
>Fighters get Con proficiency
>Shield, Blur, Elements
>can use a shield since Finesse weapons are all one-handed, anyways
>Defense fighting style because fuck it

I don't know why Dwarf Eldritch Knights aren't super popular. They seem like the ultimate combination for surviving.

the ultimate none shall pass build

Dwarf casters (non cleric) are seriously underrated

Plus dwarven resilience, Moradin knows you get enough stat increases.

Making Dragonborn and Half-Dragons two different races was stupid.

Don't forget tunnel fighting

The breastplate is also medium armor so it doesn't give disadvantage on stealth rolls and more characters will be proficient in it. The chain gives 1 more a.c. and should be harder to destroy because it is magical, I think magic items get extra protection against rust monsters and such.

My bet is either because killing is considered more exciting that surviving, or because dwarves carry perhaps the most "flavor" in their race, limiting RP options. You know, "dwarven" usually immediately implies you have accent, drink a lot of alcohol and have severely conservative views.

But considering you always play wizards, it didn't really count as "against type" for you.

Alright then. I think it's then pretty safe to let one of my players who wants to upgrade amor thanks to muh padrons and shit into something that is ultimately just a Refluffed breast plate. And let her think I'm an amazingly generous DM in the process.

>[...] since dwarves don't need Strength to wear plate

Thats not RAW right?

Chain shirt, brah, not chainmail.

I've never had this problem with my players running dwarf characters. None of them have been the stereotypical drunken Scottish hard worker.

>making dragonborn and half-dragons was stupid

Dwarves don't have their speed reduced by heavy armor, which is the only penalty for wearing it with low Str. So yes, it's RAW.

A monk, but played as a gruff Norseman outlander dual wielding handaxes.

Also, an old retired dwarves valour bard who was a general (soldier background). His inspiration was barking orders and telling old war stories.

As a Draconic sorcerer half dragon dragonborn I disagree

Probably less of a problem with actual characters and more with the typical image. People worried of falling into the dwarven archetype will avoid the race.

Or maybe afterall it's just simply because people pick v. human for the feat.

don't you need a free hand for EK spellcasting?

I recommend people using my houserule

If a race has a +2 X, +1 Y Stat bonus, you can put Y into any stats other than X.

Thanks to this I've gotten a wide overflowing girth of character concepts submitted to me by people who are legitimately excited to play that character now that's Stormwind law gets a little liberated upon