Prog Rock inspired plotlines

Sup Veeky Forums. So, I get to DM a one shot tomorrow, and this one is special. My, formerly super religious, mom is going to be playing at the table.

Now, since this is the woman who got me into Boston, Styx, and others of that ilk, I thought it would be fun to run a Prog/Rock Opera style game. "The Wizard of Greysky Tower has stolen the Melody of Joy from the Bards of the land." sort of thing.

Any grognards or youngnards have ideas/suggestions that would really make it sparkle?

System is 5th ed. At least one character will be a walking anachronism set on disrupting the plot (he's not That Guy, it's just how he rolls).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pUpJlui_Y4I
youtube.com/watch?v=dFLr6OM_hS4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Go watch pick of destiny again and do that.

Here's the thing: it doesn't have to be a romantic epic/messianic story/archetypal myth, because there are other structures of story everyone is familiar with thanks to tv and popular novels. So...why not a murder mystery?

Everyone has seen Colombo or CSI or read a Agatha Christie novel or seen one of the movie adaptations. You can set it during an Immigrant Song style Lief Erikson visitation of Vikings to the New World, with the mysticism/Faerie stuff of Come Sail Away.

You made me think of Tenacious D's "Wonderboy" for the first time in years. It's golden inspiration, thank you.

Also excellent.

I don't the idea doesn't sound that good desu OP. I give it 7/16.

Bad bait, man. The 'desu' was too over the top. You gotta nuance it a bit. Ffs have some pride in your craftsmanship.

the best way to do plotline that will seem inspired by progrock is to first create the basis of the story and finish the notes under the influence of LSD

>tomorrow
not much prep time, my dude. i'd make the wizard a cleric who stole the melody because he wants to be the purveyor of joy through religion, only he has very little joy to dispense so he has to ration it and club everyone else. but that's only a minor subtext for those players interested enough to dig it up. i'd have them go through madcap encounters each more ridiculous than the last, courtesy of mr plot disrupter and you, and at the end force them to come up with a song about it. bring an acoustic guitar, play a few chords and sing the song they compose and they win. mom gotta love her kid trying to sing.

Did you use lesbians for the OP because prog rock is fucking gay?

Badass idea. Two of my players are studio musicians.

Definitely involve a romantic band of outlaws who want to bring the players some songs from the wood

>he's actually this new

This. This is going in. Robspierre Aqualung and his Merry Minstrals are cannon now.

Also, the villains are a demonic boy band whose manager is stealing the talents of the realms greatest bards with evil fae known as Song Stealers.

Yes, I ripped off Space Jam and Rainbow Brite and then gave it a pinch of Dio. I have never been this chuffed to DM.

Thanks for the good ideas Veeky Forums.

Ever hear of "Olias od Sunhillow"?

>The Wizard of Greysky Tower
If there is a tower, it needs to have been originally built by a stargazing wizard who stepped off it without remembering to cast Fly first.

youtube.com/watch?v=pUpJlui_Y4I

*of, goddammit. It's a concept album about creating a cosmic craft called the "Moorglade Mover". but that's bare-bonesing it. It's by Jon Anderson.

Pic related -- Moorglade Mover.

youtube.com/watch?v=dFLr6OM_hS4

Sounds good. You could just say he stole "The Song" and have to find all the bits. To find the harmony you must do a puzzle which is arranging things in just the right way, the rhythm is an order of operations (timing) problem, the melody is a fight with the mage himself.

>he doesn't know
>HE DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT DESU

>Yes, I ripped off Space Jam and Rainbow Brite and then gave it a pinch of Dio

Also Daft Punk, though the plot of Crescendolls is more "The manager is an immortal eldritch horror who wants to music but cannot so he reps talent, turns them into his puppets, and sucks the life out of them"

he stole the song and scattered it's pieces so the people would have to turn to HIM for his false-joy, manufactured and put out by his manufactured boy band