Stopping d&d for a while

By mutual agreement, our long time group is going to check into some other games.
Basically only played d&d since 91. 2ed and 3.5.
Lots of fun, some great times, but it's time to do something different.
We will each pick 3 ttrpgs, and check them out, talk them over, then we will pick one and start buying books.
So far, I want to discuss aces and eights, and whispering vault.
Any other ttrpgs that you would recommend?
We're trying to avoid anything that is too d&d fantasy. And it must have books. Not PDFs. Actual fucking books. No magic realm bs either.

Suggestions tg?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Roll_Engine).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wild Talents. The GM has to put in restrictions and guidelines to balance out the custom powers, but everything else in there is stuff I wish I had known about earlier.

Starfinder is fresh and new. although basicalky Pathfinder IN SPHESS with bullshit gender non binary androids and gender fluid ayylmaos.

The setting is itself is fine and has things that make it different from Pathfinder like how weapons have ranks at which you can use them so you know what upgrades comes when for your weapon. There's techno-magical bullshit that can be done to PCs, NPCs and your surroundings. You can make spaceships customized to your liking or get pre-built ships.

How the fuck do you play the same game for close to 30 years? Dndfags will never cease to amaze me

Hey, suck it.

We're talking about switching it up a little.

We're very creative. No two games have been identical, or "too" close to each other.

That looks pretty clunky.

Starfinder's rules are a dumpster fire though, and this is coming from someone who actually likes Pathfinder.

Elaborate? New to PF/SF and reading through the handbook for a one shot we're gonna have soon.

What is Wild Talents like? I've always wanted to play a superhero rpg to be honest. What powers do you choose from and how strong are they?

Rolled 10, 1, 4, 2, 8 = 25 (5d10)

points build

stat plus skill to make the dice pool, look for matching pairs

more matches like 1,1, and 1? you do it fast
higher value pair? like 10 and 10, you do it damn good

>What is Wild Talents like? I've always wanted to play a superhero rpg to be honest. What powers do you choose from and how strong are they?

The system honestly explains itself better than I will, but here goes;

It uses the One Roll Engine, which moves very quickly while giving a lot of information about what's happened. The Wikipedia article describes it pretty well (en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Roll_Engine). It has simultaneous combat resolution which works a lot better, abd has more nuance than d20 while still being fast. It has locational damage, a lot of flexibility with special moves (even within melee; it has rules for chokeholds), and a thing to represent willpower and emotional health. It has a number of options which can be tweaked; for example you can turn off killing damage and lingering injuries.

It's a superhero game, it has example powers, but gives you a build-a-power system to make just about any type of power you can imagine, and you can use extras or flaws to tune them to be as strong or weak as suits you. That means it's very easily broken, the system admits as much, so the GM needs to be proactive in setting caps on point totals and dice types, and know exactly what power levels he wants and steer players away from the most busted options.

Since it's about superheroes, a quirk of the power-level and core mechanic is that normal people really suck at things. You need to remember to only roll for things where a normal untrained person would have a 10% chance or less of succeeding.

Do you like transhuman scifi? Take a look at Eclipse Phase or GURPS Transhuman Space

>We will each pick 3 ttrpgs, and check them out, talk them over, then we will pick one and start buying books.

I'm not trying to tell you your business but maybe play a couple sessions first so you can get a feel for it before buying a bunch of books.

Cyberpunk 2020 (2nd edition)
Vampire: the Masquerade (20th anniversary edition)
Paranoia (the edition formerly known as Paranoia XP)

But as you can see here. More often then not you will roll garbage and barely get 1-2 pairs if you roll your max dice pool. And if you have less then max. Well my friend get used to failing each role.

Have you tried talislanta yet? The rules are free and the system and setting are a definite change of pace.

>Play without the books

What?

worst idea ever, starfinder has shit rules.

This would be a gpod one. 3e stole a lot of stuff from it, so mechanically it's similar, but the feel is much different due to the setting.

GURPS and MnM are both pretty fun systems if you're looking to go wide on the genre from DnD high fantasy.

I'd suggest historical/modern gunshit with the first (cowboys vs wendigos works really well) and obviously MnM is good for supers.

>We're trying to avoid anything that is too d&d fantasy.
>Starfinder

Find PDFs or look for free quickstarts. user up there is just trying to help, no need to paper-supremacy

I didn't read the whole thing, but what really stands out is the starship rules.

>Each starship has a "tier", which is like a level and goes from 1-20
>The tier of the party's spaceship is automagically set to whatever the average party level is
>When the tier increases, so do the DCs of skill checks to do things with your spaceship, at a rate significantly faster than 1:1
>Most characters will only increase your skill modifiers by +1 per level (if that), and even if you specialize in making these checks to the exclusion of everything else you'll reach a point where they're completely impossible to make

I'd suggest the Warhammer RPGs, but they're out of print now. Maybe you can find a used copy at a bookstore or something.

>Fantasy, but not D&D
Warhammer Fantasy RP, Legend of the Flame Princess

>Horror
Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu, Delta Green, Insylum, Nemesis, Cthulhu Dark, Don't Rest Your Head, World of Darkness

>Fun one shot systems/basically improv games
Everyone is John, Car Lesbians, Fiasco, Dread, Paranoia, Joints and Jivers

>Cyberpunk/Sci fi
Cyberpunk 2020, Shadowrun, Hack The Planet, Warhammer 40k RPG

Rogue Trader is the best RPG I have played

Try Legend, it's a d20 system done right with excellent player options and little to no caster/martial disparity.

I concur with everyone recommending the Warhammer / 40k RPG's.
Star Wars RPG's also great.

>Shadowrun. Sci-fi.

Dude dr who is more sci-fi then Shadowrun. Shadowrun is basically fantasy with guns.

If you are willing to homebrew the rules to a certain point, In Nomine has a great set up for a fun, not too serious game. We had an emo kid with blood exploding metal rock powers, a cowboy devil, an angel stuck in a sexy nun, and an angel whose name was Humany.

It's cyberpunk, which is the other half of the category I put it in.

If you're down to get weird check out Unknown Armies or Don't Rest Your Head.

Savage Worlds

It's crunchy and tactical so it's an easy hop from D&D in terms of gameplay. It's a more general system that does a bit of everything, but it's best known for Wild West horror hijinks (Deadlands).

If I were to bring 3 RPGs to a group, then I would probably go with:
• A One-Roll Engine game. I'm partial to Monsters& with the Weird Kids supplement.
• Ars Magica 5th edition, for the complete wizardry experience
• My homebrew work-in-progress

Just suggest Deadlands, I think. Doesn't sound like op wants a rules system, but an actual game with setting and everything. So I'd say Savage Worlds Deadlands.

Star wars rpg from ffg.

Sweet and fun game system. Getting a general system release in the nextfew months (genesys).

Do F.A.T.A.L

>"wow how do you play a game for 30+ years" says the normalfag who is only in the hobby because he likes to laugh at nat20s he rolls, has no concept of creativity, and his sense of commitment is demonstrated by how he hops from relationship to relationship.

>Savage Worlds
No.

Savage Worlds is a badly designed system with terrible meta-mechanics that encourage not only metagaming but ending session early, it also makes it near impossible for characters to fail at anything. The gun mechanic are broken, and literally do not make sense. The only thing it is good for is being a miniatures wargame, and it even sucks at most of that. Exploding dice make stupid shit happen constantly, the damage is way overkill for 90% of the threats allowing characters to one-shot massive creatures with tiny weapons. On the other end, characters literally cannot fail, because they have three bennies per session which allow them to reroll whatever the fuck they want (not damage rolls, to be fair, but still). And the GM is told he is a piece of shit if he doesn't hand out more bennies for "good roleplaying" (in other words, stupid nat20-lolz bullshit). Also the characters get to roll a wild die with their normal roll and take the wild die if it is higher, thus making them even less likely to fail at anything. Not to mention the cancer of the bennies being basically a safe-space for retarded character actions, CAN and WILL spread to other RPGs you play with this group. Just count down the sessions until your character asks during D&D after failing a roll "can I have a bennie"? No, get fucked faggot. Failure is an important part of RPGs and Savage Worlds throws that shit out the window.

oh look, it's this copypasta again
Is that you Virt?

He's going on a war of attrition, apparently.

Okay then, just Deadlands, but the system is a lot more general. There's someone on Veeky Forums statting out Splatoon, for pete's sake.

Also, OP, ignore the shitposter. I don't know where Savage Worlds touched him, but there's one fag who shits up every mention of the system with the same pastas.

I would suggest trying it out, just to piss him off.

>Basically only played d&d since 91. 2ed and 3.5.
>Lots of fun, some great times, but it's time to do something different.

>You should try D&D 3.75 IN SPAAACE!

More like a war of autism
sage for offtopic

Its double pathfinder.

Two healths

Two ACs

Two progression tracks.

If you are looking for a campaign, Legend of the Five Rings sounds interesting if you don't mind being all japan all the time.

If you want spess opera, Traveler is where it's at.

If you are doing short games, get a book of Paranoia and print out a billion sheets.

Also, download Engine Heart by Viral and run a game of Wall-E because Wall-E.

Wow starfinder yet again sounds even dumber.

In what way do character levels effect your god damn tech. Jesus.

Apocalypse World
Fate
Nobilis