How do you keep your armor and weapons from rusting away?

How do you keep your armor and weapons from rusting away?

A mix of charcoal, pitch, and linseed oil, overtop of a patina made by painting the dregs of a stout onto the armor.

paint it, shiny metal armor is a modern trope

do you have historical examples of painted armour?

I let them sit in water until the rust loosens and then scrub it away.

just google it, there's a lot of examples out there

One of the ways I heard people cleaned chainmail was to put it in a barrel of sand and have your servants/kids/whoever roll it around for a while. The sand would abrade away the rust and be able to get into all the hard to pick out spots

But then you're still losing pieces of your armor.

Does being a weeaboo count? "Rusting away" isn't accurate here, the Samurai wore lighter armour because of the way they fought and the way that Japanese iron was shit, but they still covered it in lacquer because otherwise it and everything else in humid Japan would rot away.

I've read that oil was used but can anyone confirm?

Start a quest to rid the world of oxygen.

just use stainless steel.

>oxygen
>Not ridding the world of every molecule of water
What intense plebery is this?

Bear grease or birch oil.

destroying oxygen also means getting rid of water molecules. only hydrogen remains

I don't wear armor, as I am not a retarded martial.

shiny metal armour isn't a modern trope. There was numerous shiny metal armours. But nearly just as many painted ones existed too.

paint, oil, or just maintinging by scrapping off rust and the like. Depends on what kind of armour really.

rub grease, fat or lard on the armour. theres a reason romans would give some to their soldiers as rations.
Chainmaill apparently can be cleaned of rust by simply puting it on and jumping about, the rings would rub against each other "self clean"

I mean I guess it didn't work out well for this boy look at it it's all rusty

Because humans have to drink water to survive? Are you retarded?

One of the hapless NPCs in my entourage is in charge of it.