/5eg/: 5th Edition General

D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>Tortle Package, thanks to our *wonderful* friends from the /5eg/ (((Official))) Discord
imgur.com/a/74MAj

>Our wonderful friends from the /5eg/ Official Discord
discord.gg/Wjs77ZM

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread
Tell us about your favorite/most memorable character, Veeky Forums, and what made them so memorable to you?
BONUS: Describe the character without stating their class.
BONUS+: Describe the character without stating their class *or race*.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/0AF0ws10
youtube.com/watch?v=VKMw2it8dQY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is picking warlock instead of wizard enough of a self-nerf that I can munchkin away without worrying about being OP?

as long as you don't multiclass.

I'd say so, it's pretty hard to make an OP PHB Warlock.

Yeah, just don't go sorclock

What do rangers even do in their downtime? Wizards and druids ect can spend time researching new magical formulas for kicks, clerics and paladins can pray or whatever, fighters and barbs can just kick back and relax in a tavern or something. What about the eternal sperglord? Those so intimidated by contact with sentient creatures they have to crawl into the wild places and hide like an animal? What could they possibly do for fun?

Study, research and observe creatures, adding another favoured enemy to their list. I think it's fair if you're going to let Wizards learn extra spells.

Sadly forever DM here, and the few times I was a player the campaign was short-lived. I can talk about an NPC, though. I didn't even create her, she was part of a published adventure, but I'd like to think that I fleshed her out and by doing so, made her memorable.

Jamna Gleamsilver was a very skilled character, with a tendency to show up where she was least expected and vanish when people looked for her. At first the party didn't trust her and turned her away, but she kept trying, she had a mission after all. She leapt off of windows, she broke half the party out of captivity, she even helped them kill a dragon! With a crossbow. From as far away as possible. And then she took a sizable chunk of its hoard, as well.

Hunt, gather, do field research on the fauna, whittle, fletch arrows, grease their leather, sharpen their sword (if you know what I mean)

>Those so intimidated by contact with sentient creatures they have to crawl into the wild places and hide like an animal? What could they possibly do for fun?

They spend their whole downtime working up the nerve to talk to someone in town. They never do.

He grew up in the capital of a unified nation, a place where all are formally educated, and more can use some level of spellcraft than can't. Growing up, he was larger than most of his kin and acted as protector to his friends. Upon coming of age, he took normal work, only to find that he missed the thrill of combat, and the physical exertion that it brings. He spent time honing his skills, both mental and physical, and joined one of the 9 fighting houses of Thalmyr, hosts and patrons of the Grand Arena. He earned his fame and glory, in the arena and out of it, before being captured and presumed dead by an ancient enemy.

He was rescued by the party, and has decided to lend them his strength, both to repay their kindness, and because their cause is just and good.

so im writing a backstory, which basically goes like this; accepted as assistant of genious yet eccentric doctor, doctor starts slowly pushing ethical boundaries of (monster blood) experimentation, but with clear proof of there being huge potential of what he is doing, as the experiments gets more and more debauched, they (other assistans are part of this aswell) acquire debts and a pre-pitchfork mob mentality starts to form from (not unjust) rumors. the problem is that i basically want to end it with the assistants and doctors using themselves as guinea pigs/examples, turning themselves into pretty much vargulfs
(i was planning on making a character that's pretty much a victorian bloodborneish doctor most of the time, but in combat becomes a savage half-vargulf thing, using matthew mercers path of the lycan thing for blood hunters)

the problem is that i have no idea how to write them from being into a pretty fucking bad spot to just gulping down the mcguffin potions without it feeling really forced

any ideas on how to bridge the situations?

Reposting in the new thread for ideas.

I'm trying to come up with nicknames for my party. They just hit level 11 and an NPC will approach and call them by those nicknames. What do you think of these, 5eg?

>Fighter/barb the Unstoppable
>Devotion pally the Savior
>Eagle-Eyed/Deadeye Ranger
>Wizard/cleric the Divine Diviner
>Druid of Many Forms

Sillier how? Headshot Ranger? Fighter/barb the Boulder?
No idea for the pally, though. She's a protector aasimar and her auras have saved the party more times than I can count.

He found that his body formed a dependency on the potions, making him sick and weak if he doesn't take them for a long while. Elric that shit.

Oh, and maybe the mentor became addicted to them and started binging on that shit, so the student locked him up in a cold turkey intervention.

That's how he discovered that going cold turkey is fatal.

the Kindled Light
the Unmovable Object
the Unerring Eye

The only reasonable answer, rangers are truly the autism class

i like the idea, but i was actually planning on having the doctor alive in my backstory, who my character is hunting to "put to rest", mainly as a form of trying to "apologize" for what he took part of creating, while trying to find somewhere new to belong while himself being hunted by the people affected.

but another assistant could easily take the place instead, and i think giving my character an addiction to the blood potions might give even more flavor

You missed the point of the ranger. Non ranger classes are a bunch of pussies who sit in their cities and defend themselves from hordes of monsters who want to fuck their shit up. Rangers are the chads who get up in the morning, have their coffee, go to where the monsters are, and fuck THEIR shit up.

A Light Shining in Darkness

>Unerring Eye
I like that. I'll use that For the fighter though, Unstoppable Force fits him way better than Unmovable Object. And "the Kindled Light" doesn't really sound good or fitting enough. Perhaps something with "Flying" in it? She has been seen using that Radiant Soul ability.

Is that what you tell yourself when you're watching the other classes through the whorehouse windows?

You mean when I'm inside banging their moms?

You'd have to be a necromancer in my case :,(

>Download 10 dollar ninja turtle package for cancer kids
>30ft, 50 years
>Maps clearly drawn by the children with brain tumors
>New areas your party will have no reason to visit
>No stats for new guides

post the pdf goddamnit

Yeah the lifespan is dumb. Pet turtles can live to 80 and bigger ones more than 100

Tortle is good!

For your health?

For your diet

>claws
terrible
>17 AC
good at low levels, then is shit when the plate gets introduced
>shell thing
okay if getting range attacked or there's a creature with reach that can't get within 5 feet of you to ravage that tortpucci
>breath held for 1 hour
depends on campaign

>Hold breath for one hour
I-it has a variety of uses user!
>Swim a long way underwater
>Win at breath-holding contests
>Avoid smelling farts, plenty of time for it to dissipate
>Avoid breathing smoke in burning buildings, although the fire might prove hazardous before the 1 hour mark
>Can pretend to be an alligator
>No need for snorkels in water campaign
Never speak to me or my tortle again

JOSHUA GRAHAM DID NOTHING WRONG

An elderly human Sorcerer who discovers that his sorcerous origin was a Red Dragon ancestor and suddenly realizes that he needs to get into Bahamut's good graces right quick after a lifetime of being an asshole or else his soul defaults to Tiamat.

Ended up drinking a gallon of fresh dragon blood and going nuclear so the party could make off with a chest full of soulstones from a Lich Dragon-cultist's lair.

>Wizard and the gang

Claw is a dagger that can actually cut net and rope instead of relying on DM fiats.

I kinda want to set a game I'll be DMing for inside a mansion using non euclidian geometry and impossible space, is this a bad idea?

Only if you want to play on a grid.

Starting a new campaign next week. Pitch me ideas for a short one (15-30hours of play).
Bonus point for first session details.

Let's not forget that we got Tortle because of a Twitter poll and a thematic feud between two designers; Mearls being on the side against the Tortle, and that its polishing is a little on the low end considering how little time they put into the PDF compared to the whole of Tomb of Annihilation, and Tomb being mostly finished and in layout stages at the time of deciding to do something or anything with this tortle.

I wouldn't normally spend 10 on a product this size, but for Extra Life or a kids cancer charity I might be willing to put down for it.

Playing around with expanded weapons and combat rules. Haven't implemented any yet, just playing with some to give my martials more options / variety in combat and weapon choices. I already implement different resistances in my monsters to keep things varied, but I digress.

> With light weapons, if you have advantage on an attack, instead you can choose to make two attacks without advantage.
> Heavy weapons still deal strength damage, even if you miss. It does not count as a hit.

I take it you're just trying to fiddle around and bring performance closer together?

It's not really like martials don't do enough damage in 5e

In the PHB it says that an atttacker will have advantage against a restrained opponent. Do I get advantage on grappling a restrained enemy, as the grapple replaces the attack roll? (even though its an ability check?)

no

But user, that could give the ranger ( a martial ) a little edge, and we can't have that! Please report to your nearest Thought Clinic for unclean desires, you will be better in a moment.

It depends on power level of the campaign, ask your DM. Others suggestions are good if it's a campaign by the guidelines if the DMG

Not RAW, but as a DM, I would think it's retarded to not have advantage in that situation.
Yeah, you're right. I'm also allowing pretty much all the battlemaster maneuvers as standalone replacement actions (like grapple). People versed in armed combat should be able to all those things, Battlemaster can tack it on to an attack and get the bonus roll too.

Some more options:

> Bludgeoning weapons can choose to deal no damage on a hit, instead forcing a CON save vs. Falling asleep for 1d4 rounds
> Slashing weapons can choose to deal no damage on a hit to hamstring, halving the targets speed for a number of rounds equal to characters STR mod.
> dagger: on hit, player can drop weapon and have it deal damage again as long as it's stuck in the enemy. Enemy can use an action to remove it.

My nigga

It depends on how you want to execute it. Doors with random exit based on rolls and gravity a little fucked up should be ok, if it's too much complex you might annoy your players. Ultimately, you can make the mansion, DM side, complex and with whatever rules you want, but player side should be more concentrated on perceived fuckery of physic laws more than fine details.

So, Veeky Forums, I decided to write up a short document on adapting the existing races and classes of DnD to a generic medieval Asian setting, similar to how generic DnD is based on a genericized version of medieval Europe.

pastebin.com/0AF0ws10

Thoughts?

holy shit, the discord is getting an insane influx of new people
and only 3 or 4 of them ever wrote something

>Sticking your dick in a mouth that's a giant beak that can shear through bone like paper

So, WOTC brought up (what I thought was) a really interesting approach in regards to character progression in the Unearthed Arcana regarding the Three Pillars. Combat, Exploration, Social Interaction

The problem I noticed though, whether it was something they focused on as core aspects of the game from the beginning, it doesn't really reflect in the mechanics.

Any good suggestions on mechanics, rules, or class features that numerically / mechanically focus on Exploration as a core part of the game? I feel like it's obviously skewed very much towards Combat, with a fraction of that dedicated to Social Interaction....the remainder supposedly addressing Exploration in pretty much just fluff.

What are you, gay?

>that numerically / mechanically focus on Exploration as a core part of the game
There's the default ranger. He's widely believed to be the worst class in the game. No points for deducing why is that.

I think saves are setup to intentionally prevent attack buffs from working on them, and make it a little easier to pass saves in general. This is to balance the greater effects that failed saves are allowed, with lesser save effects getting guaranteed results like half damage and difficult terrain.

I feel like this works better if his term of service is defined in a more abstract manner, rather than sheer passage of time. Like "congratulations, that makes 10,000 pints of blood spilled. I'm free."
The Astral Plane at least has color pools you can look for. The Ethereal Plane seems like you'd just be stuck.
I kinda hoped for my archer to become known as "the bald (as in eagle)," but that's probably too specific to help you. The pally could be "the devoted". Or not.

I'm down for monkey people, but the lack of tanukis despite there being kitsunes always disappoints me. I'll have to homebrew my own at some point.

You got me there, I guess 17 AC while having sex is pretty fucking amazing for a campaign where violence during sex happens

>Not making your own pdf from the imgur files

Tortles are perfect for survial related encounters of course thier traits would seem super situational.
>Claws
Means worst case scenario, you always have a dagger at hand.
>17 ac
That's 17 ac always no matter what.
>shell thing
situational but lets you tank if you an impending trap is coming. That and the advantage gives you a good defence against being grabbed against your will.

Plus you know, there is always the legend of Throwlus the fighter and his mighty 450pd weapon - You.

I like it. I wish more players were aware they could re-fluff classes/races like this to fit their character ideas instead of NEEDING a class called ninja to play a ninja.

>be current year
>people still believe a 20 on a skill check is an autosucceed
When will this meme end

>be current year
>throw stale bait in hope of a reply

Why are you setting DCs in the 30s?

The shorthand for "pound" is "lb," or "lbs" when plural.

Immovable rods.

I see this way too too often

thanks I forgot that.

the DC doesn't necessarily have to be in the 30's, even a DC 20 may not be achievable by everyone with a nat 20 roll, I've seen many characters with negative dex mods whose highest result possible is a 19.

How is this for a racial trait for people whose culture basically boils down to Pain = Gains?

Pain Conditioning:
Years of faithful devotion have resulted in a resolute body and mind. Whenever you succeed on a Constitution check you gain temporary hit points equal to 1d4 + your CON modifier.

Seems exploitable by being a sorcerer (or resilient con other caster )with war caster and wading into melee, and pretty weak when you aren't exploiting it that way.

>hamstring
>no damage

Do any of you ever feel "burnt out" from DM'ing? Is it something that happens to you over very long periods, or does it come on near the end of every campaign?
I've been running my first ever campaign for my friends, 5 new players, for around three months now and I think it's wearing on me. When we're actually playing we have a great time, mostly because we all get to be together, but the days after the session have me glad we're almost near the end.

I don't think the fact that they're always coming up with retarded plans, always fucking up quests, and generally just being idiots helps.

Is there a videogame that uses 5e rules?

no, it's just you.

came to your senses and added us back

ill homebrew something special for you tell me something you want

I get burnt out by about the third session

I was actually thinking of a high risk high reward melee caster when I wrote it up.
>Succeed con save
>Get temp HP
>Fail con save
>Don't get any temp HP, lose spell
Having no personal experience with melee caster builds, if this makes something utterly broken i'll change it. I did think about making it
>Spend a hit die to gain 2d4+CON
so it had an element of resource management. I'm a fan of hit die as a concept and i'm always looking for more things to do with them besides just healing during rests.

There's a PC playing a giant in my group, should I be concerned? Or is it no big deal if you take any random thing from the MM and make it playable?

I know a friend in a similar situation and also describes himself as being pretty tired, so it's not just you.

You got it, mate!

Constitution checks barely even exist, so I'm not sure this will really do anything.

Would concentration saves count?

>What do rangers even do in their downtime?

hunting

literally the sport of kings in medieval times

No, because saves are not checks.
3 types of rolls in 5e - checks, saves, and attacks. There is zero overlap and between them they cover every roll of the d20 keyed to an ability score.

Actually not just ability-score-keyed rolls - death saving throws are saving throws for all intents and purposes. Yes, that means it's very hard to die next to a paladin.

>What do rangers even do in their downtime?
They range, user.

The ability is intended to encompass saves as well as checks, I will edit the wording to reflect that properly.

Guys

I am considering dropping the Skull of Argynvost as a vehicle for Baba lysaga.
Having it so close to a winery gem and so far from Ravenloft feels like screwing with the design too much
You're my Greek chorus. Stop me.

B-but doesn't "ranger" refer to ranged weapons?
Some people really do think that.

NYPGC

youtube.com/watch?v=VKMw2it8dQY

>Aarockra (tengu)

Anyone here ever played 1E, how was it like?

Yes, be very concerned.

Would like to hear some opinions about this Veeky Forums.

So I've got a campaign where a red dragon openly rules a nation; he's polite, tries his best to be a fair and just ruler, and even betrayed the Cult of the Dragon/Tiamat and was thus a pretty big part in stopping them.

Obviously Tiamat hates him here but what about Bahamut? Would he be helpful and try to guide him along or would he be leery as shit in thinking this is a huge ruse because this red dragon has a country and is not acting like a red dragon?

It's a red flag, but more about the DM than the player. The player may not know any better, but the DM has no excuse. It's their job to know better and have good judgment, which clearly isn't happening here.
I'm not saying "leave now reeeee" but definitely be aware of other signs of the DM inadvertently fucking with basic game concepts and balance.

Bahamut is a god my dude. He's gonna be able to suss out that Dragon's true intentions, and I'm pretty sure all the chromatic dragons chilling the fuck out and being good people... dragons... is basically his whole shtick. So if the Dragon actually had a change of heart and turned to good Bahamut is going to be all about that shit, gonna be sending divine messages to his Paladins not to fuck with that shit.

It was okay if a little odd. One thing that stands out is that making a character is really tough since the attack matrices are not in the Player's Handbook but rather in the DMG. Other little things stick out, but it is playable if dated by today's standards.

If you want more info, go to the /osrg/ thread.

I'm going to make a session 0 for my campaign tomorrow and I'll try to convince my players to roll stats in order (first roll is his Str, second roll is his Dex and so on...)
Is there a better way to do this or make sure that everyone has a at least decent stats? (like a minimum requirement of a 16 and a 14+ or something like this?)

There's no way to guarantee anything if you have them roll in order. I generally only have players do that for one shots since it can result in wonky character balance. If one guy has 3 16s to start and another's highest score is a 12 they aren't going to have a good time in a long term campaign.