Not so much a setting but more of a what if

Not so much a setting but more of a what if.

>Lobsters across the world are now as sapient as humans.

Nothing changes.

Maine is wiped from the face of the earth by lobsters with guns and airsuits.

They already are, user. Moreso, perhaps.

this go to asian supermarket and speak with them. If your offerings suffice, they will grant you succor.

are you stupid american who come into my store and start tarking to robster tank?

Without means to communicate, we will never notice this change. Lobsters can't make tools and just because they are sapient, they still have to evolve a language among themselves, and assuming they can ever hear us, then find a way to translate and talk hours. I mean....Unless they magically telepathic lobster too, nothing really changes for a couple hundred years. Somewhere lobster communities will form as intelligent species will figure out teamwork can accomplish many things. They'll start farming some sort of food, constructing shelters and finding way to enhance their natural defense to ward of predators. That's likely to caught our eye first. They will also likely figure out lobster traps and avoid them after a while.

This lobster communities will soon expand and fight each other for a while before some rise prevalent and form the first Lobster city estate with tributary communities.

Pincers allow for some tool manipulation, even if not in detail. Lobsters have a head start on animals with paws in that regard. They could easily manufacture things to help them dig the bottom of rivers and then construct underground-underwater dwellings, with 'mazing' that traps fish for consumption. Human things dropped on the water would quickly be appropriated and turned into tools.

Wiggle their antennes and mouth parts to do sign language and use mouths delicate stuff like writing.

Lobsters actually live to about 100 years in the wild and do not have an 8 hour słeep cycle like people do. They need fuck all for sustenance meaning they could totally deticate all their time to construction of shit like underwater tunnels and dominating their environments.

River and coastal lobsters first start forming colonies and then they expand from there to dominate and integrate deep ocean lobsters to use the oceans to farm algae.

hello how many snibsnabs for a bottle of wine

a bunch of silently suffering lobsters that can't communicate with anything around and probably assume they are the only sentient thing on earth unless they are captured and killed by humans.

Lobsters have no set growth limit, so presumably with the intelligence to trap large amounts of food instead of hunting, they'll get really fucking big.

They make Coconut Crabs their slaves and humanity is fucking eviscerated.

>Lobsters are now extinct

I mean, I'm not a marine biologist, but obviously it's not that simple. You can't scale up anything too big without screwing physiology.

idk OP, you didn't roll dubs on that. Would you settle for loli catboys.

He apparently get succor succor for offering.

But they could probably grow quite a bit larger,maybe to the size of a german shepard.

There are health complications after growing past certain sizes I believe.

Nah. Most lobsters die because their shell just get too big for them to molt out of, and they die of exhaustion trying to get out of their old exoskeleton.
The biggest lobster recorded is only 13,2 kg.

>not just selling him all your soul gems to get money for power training

If they were sapient, they could help each other molt.

Not if they're libertarians.

Lobsters get into heated political arguments that end with melted butter and tears.

That made me chuckle.

Nothing. They don't have a language or technology or useful manipulator organs with which to develop those things.

Then they would just pay each other to help with molting.

Assuming that lobster could learn how to molt from larger shells, would giant sapient lobsters be any sort of threat? Like, large dog giant, not truck giant.

Assuming they're as smart as humans, it's not a huge jump to imagine them developing language. If you look up Nicaraguan Sign Language, there are histories of groups spontaneously inventing languages nine group setting. I can easily imagine them developing a sort of antenna semaphore.

Define sentience, we aren't quite sure of what it means. You probably mean human level inteligence, and if so...

>implying a Lobster's brain could produce human level inteligence
>implying a lobster could gather enough food to sustain a brain that could
>implying their bodies wouldn't take up most of it, as they continue to infinitely grow

I like your third point. As magic lobsters continue to grow, they lose brainpower as they devote more mental resources to running their body. Every lobster gets alzheimers. The ocean is full of yacht sized crustaceans that drift in and out of sentience.

Lobster robots.

That sounds dangerous

I seriously doubt that, though.

Lobsers with sapience would immediately exert a degree of control over their environment that would be unmistakable as anything but sapience.

Imagine lobsters at a restaurant in a tank. Even without language, they would be able to form communicate enough to work together to survive, the same way people can work together even without communication.

When the lobsters in the tank start helping each other remove the bands on their claws and work as a group to prevent someone from taking one out of the tank, people are going to take notice pretty quickly, to say nothing of the radical shifts in behavior noticed by fishermen and others that interact with them on a daily basis.

When lobster traps stop working at well over a 90% rate, someone's going to want to know why.

Imagine a baby trying to survive on a fishtank. That's what a Lobster that has suddenly turned sentient would be.

This.

Sapience =/= knowledge.

It allows for knowledge, but things have to be 'learned'. Already captive lobster will not learn anything in their short spans and limited opportunities. Is the ones who survive generations in the wild that will began to act different. If they can communicate, they can pass knowledge, and they can accumulate knowledge, and that leads to civilization.