/5eg/: 5th Edition General

D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>Tortle Package, thanks to our *wonderful* friends from the /5eg/ (((Official))) Discord
imgur.com/a/74MAj

>Our wonderful friends from the /5eg/ Official Discord
discord.gg/Wjs77ZM

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/iglMj
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Someone mentioned that OoA Paladin with a 3 level dip into Feylock works well and makes for an interesting thematic character too.

How would I build this and what would it let me do over just staying in Paladin or picking a different MC?

my sorcerer is turning into a mix of mac and dennis from its always sunny in Philadelphia and im not sure the rest of the party is liking it but god damn its fun

Shield improvised weapon is 1d4?

First time player asking a character creation question. Could I make a human or dwarf cleric that worships the god of booze and drunkenness, and as he gets drunker his heals and abilities grow stronger at the cost of accuracy? He sounds like fun but I don't know if the rules would support his skill set

Do you see anything in the rules that allow that?
Then no. The rules do not support that skill set.

You can talk to your DM about arranging things, but D&D is predicated on 'bounded accuracy', and you're talking about willfully throwing that out of the room.

Yep, any improvised weapon that couldn't substitute as anything else is a d4

Intoxication as a mechanic is not super supported. there is the drunken master monk UA, but that's more about obfuscating weakness from a flavor point of view than actually being drunk.

>First time player.
>Already trying to homebrew.
Talk it over with your DM.
Normally better to learn how to play normally before you start throwing new stuff into the cauldron.

>polearm master
>bonus action for 1d4+STR damage

wow it's fucking nothing

I would only allow this if you deliberately decreased your ability scores from your starting amount from what you started with and then increased to the full amount when you reach maximum drunk range. It'll be annoying for your fellow players that you're deliberately gimping yourself, but it would work in character.

Except fucking anything that gets within 10 feet of you, and combine it with great weapon master its 1d4+str+10 as a bonus action. PAM is easily one of the best feat in 5e.

having a free opportunity attack when someone enters your range is an extra attack nigga.

It also helps a lot in lower levels where everyone has only one attack, and where your attack ability modifier has a more significant effect on damage than the dice itself.

the real meme is combining it with Sentinel for maximum fuck

ToA leak album
imgur.com/a/iglMj

Take GWM or SS, use it when drunk and don't use it when sober.

This would be best way to do it. Introducing new stuff to a game you don't have any experience with is a real bad idea.

So we've got turtles back now. When do we get official skeletons or Illithids? How many decades has it been?

No, fuck off

Guys, I need some interesting/funny options for when my group rolls a nat 1 in combat. So far they've mostly accidentally attacked team mates, which has been fun and largely harmless, but I'd like to have more options.

What happens in your games when a player rolls 1 on an attack roll?

>What happens in your games when a player rolls 1 on an attack roll?
They miss.

Fuck critical misses.

Highly situational, but one of my PC's blew up someones home by accident on a 1.
I also like taking them out of combat for a turn in fun ways, like flying through a window that was behind the target

That happens 5% of the time. It also means people who attack more, like increasingly higher level fighters, get more and more penalized by it. Critical fails like that are fucking stupid. Don't be That DM.

If you want to do something INTERESTING, have critical 1's change the conditions of the fight in some fashion. So an errant blade damages a support beam, and the platform they are fighting on goes down. They punch a hole in a barrel full of oil, and now its seeping onto the battlefield - it creates a condition that can be exploited to some degree, and increases verisimilitude without having a whole "lol your character is suddenly pants on head retarded".

>be necromancer
>kidnap infants weighing less than 10 lb from hapless villagers
>kill babby
>cast Drawmij's Instant Summon on corpse
>reanimate babby
>stick it in some dark pit it can't escape from somewhere no one is likely to find
>lose control in 24 hrs but who cares
>do this a thousand times
>rampage through the countryside using fire-and forget kamikaze newborns

So basically, a level 20 fighter is more likely to accidentally leap out of a window in combat than a level 1 fighter is?

>being this much of an asshole
Penalizing your players for something that happened through no fault of their own is bullshit. I can't even tell you how many times I've had to deal with bullshit like "lmao you rolled a 1 your weapon breaks xD." A 1 is a miss and nothing more. Fuck you

I am asking the question because I realize it hasn't been handled that way. I'm just looking for inspiration.

About that; do you think the die should increase with a monk's martial arts die?

How OP are (warlock) familiars giving advantage to every attack roll? How would you make familiars more OP?

>A skill warrior has a 5% chance of missing an enemy and attacking a teammate.

Unless you make criticals even better than they are, that shit is stupid.

Help me multiclass my Paladin.

I don't really want to do more than like a 3-4 level dip.

>asking if PAM should be buffed
???

Dead bodies are objects?

No. Why would it.

They will explode if glanced at. The only meme heavy one is the owl because it gets Fly-by. When you're talking about Warlock familiars more so, their main focus is their crazy scouting abilities. If you want to make them 'more OP' look at the compendium of forgotten secrets, it made some more combat focused pets.

Offering these options to my players for more variety in gameplay (IE less defaulting to I swing my sword / I cast cantrip X for the 100th time)

> Allowing pretty much all the Battlemaster maneuvers as standalone replacement actions (like grapple). Battlemaster is still set apart by having dice as well as piggybacking it onto an attack.
> Casters can overcast spells, by spending a number of HD = to level of the spell. Spell level is increased by 1.

Also these Fighting Styles:

> Throwing: You gain a +2 bonus to ranged attack rolls you make with a thrown weapon. Whenever you make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you can immediately drawn another weapon as part of the attack.

> Calculated: You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make as a readied action.

> Versatile: When you are wielding a melee weapon with the versatile property with two hands, you gain a +1 bonus to AC on the first attack made against you in a turn. When you are wielding a melee weapon with the versatile property with one hand, and you roll a 1 on a damage die for an attack you make with that weapon, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1.

> Whip Boxer: Creatures provoke opportunity attacks from you when they enter your melee range as long as you are wielding a whip in one hand.

> Trapper: When you hit a creature with a melee weapon and are wielding a net in the other, you can use a bonus action to make an additional melee weapon attack with the net.

> Close Quarters Combat: Whenever you make a melee attack against a creature you are grappling, you gain advantage on the first attack roll.

You use Imp for help action advantage. It's invisible and sentient, so it can help just by saying disturbing shit in their ear.

>not thinking monks should be buffed
???

Why do scimitars even exist? They're just shortswords.

Same reason tridents exist when they're just spears.

The curvature is useful for slashing from horseback without getting your sword stuck in the victim.

What does a patron get out of a pact with a warlock, anyway? Does a Great Old One even have thought processes similar enough to a human's to make a deal?

The only monks that need buffs are sun soul and wot4e. Otherwise they're fine as is. Also
>let the monks use a bludgeoning attack that scales with their martial arts die as a bonus action
That exists it's called a fucking unarmed strike

Uncensored artwork

I ask myself things like that all the time. I'm writing out an expanded look at arms and equipment, that actually makes some mechanical differences between piercing / slashing / bludgeoning weapons, as well as tangible differences in the weight classifications.

So why do tridents exist?

Wow what an interesting non-existant mechanic.

Spending HD is generally universally viewed to be a bad idea. There was a reason it was removed from the play test.

You're largely removing anything that lets the battlemaster stand out.

I personally find it silly that throwing should be dependent on having a throwing fighting style. You should just able to draw more throwing weapons; MANY threads back we talked about a homebrew that allowed for you to draw Light weapons without spending an object interaction. I like that one. Keep in mind, by making it a fighting style thing, a non-MC Barbarian cannot use them.

Calculated seems too specific. Similarly so does Versatile. Annnd so does Whip Boxer. You're focusing WAY too much on adding granularity.

Trapper adds very little to the game.

CQC seems like it should be part of a grappler feat or what not. It seems very part of the above with "you're trying to make this way too fucking granular".

You're better off using them as sources of advantage on *everything*, since they can better actually help you with things that other familiars cannot. Its great if the creature is invisible, but unless its also hidden, that just means that its at a disadvantage to being hit. It can still get hit, and a good hit is going to absolutely ruin its day.

Monks can just make an unarmed hit anyways, they don't need to use that feature of pole arm master. The main feature works even better.

What ever the fuck they want. They might get absolutely nothing - GOO's are explicitly stated as potentially not even KNOWING something is leeching power from it.

Entertainment

I mean in real-life, nerd.

I see no downside to a pact, then. Splendid. Just didn't want to end up going down the Faust path.

It's a mystery

A trident is not behave same way as a spear in real life, sperg.

>So why do tridents exist?
For reference for any other kind of exotic special pronged snowflake weapon people might recommend (i.e. Military Forks, Ranseus, Spetums) so they don't come up with some stupid overpowered weapon when an exact analog isn't on the equipment list.

Same reason why the Glaive and Halberd are listed as two different weapons in spite of being functionally identical; because somebody will bring up his special snowflake Guan Dao or Naginata and suggest something outrageous if a similar weapon isn't on the list.

Weirdly pacts don't ever have downsides mechanically. Once you make a pact you have the power and your patron can't do shit about it, they even mention someone with a fiend pact directly opposing their patron.

>Reading a passage about a rune in SKT
>"See Appendix E"
>There is no Appendix E

Really?

Pacts can have downsides if the DM decides that they have downsides. But, no, you don't innately get a downside just for picking a character class. That would be kind of stupid.

What if you scaled the abilities of your character with how drunk you are IRL?

None of the weapons you listed -- besides the glaive and Guan Dao -- are analogous to one another. They all have different properties, strengths and weaknesses.

it's in the DLC

But a reductionist system such as 5e is not meant to handle those individual differences. If you want your exotic weapon to be that special enough there's always 4e or pathfinder.

You creative and reductionist are not mutually exclusive.

Are there prices to outright buy dinosaurs in ToA? Don't yet have the book and asking for a friend.

What's the best MC combo you can think of and why?

Sure. But 5e is not concerned with exactly how a spear, trident, partisan or a spetum is used in relation to each other and against whom, simply the damage it does and the type of damage it does. Having a martial spear (the trident) exist and stand-in for those weapons most likely exists to deter anyone who may assert the contrary.

Yes.

That does not answer why that decision was made. Why should anyone be deterred from filling combinations of properties that do not exist? Would the existence of a reach weapon that is neither heavy nor finesse really break the game that much?

Would an exotic weapon fighting style be more in line with theme and purpose of other fighting styles?

Also, in response to the Battlemaster bit, I disagree. Any one character, regardless of class, can sneak up on an unsuspecting enemy and surprise them with an attack, but a Rogue / trained assassin gets a mechanical benefit to do so (Sneak Attack).

Any one character, regardless of class, can attempt to disarm someone holding a sword, but the Battlemaster gets a mechanical benefit to do so (Maneuver).

Excellent! Thanks heaps.

I'm doing an Eberron-like campaign without Kalashtars, Shifters, Changelings or Psionics.

How does that make you feel?

>Why should anyone be deterred from filling combinations of properties that do not exist?
Because this a) overtly complicates an edition whose strength over previous editions is simplicity and b) tends to be open to abuse, see the Katanas are underpowered copypasta. Of course the DM is welcome to do so if they wish, but the weapon analogs are probably intended to give frames of reference by which absent weapons can be adapted.
>Would the existence of a reach weapon that is neither heavy nor finesse really break the game that much?
The only reach weapon that is finesse is the whip. But if you mean whether a finesse polearm would break the game, yes, especially for rogues, who would be able to use their sneak attack every turn someone enters their reach with the right multiclasses/feats. I agree that heavy weapons unfairly block out certain weapons from shorter creatures that should still be theoretically able to handle it with sufficient strength and constitution, but again that is something that should be left to the DM.

>overtly complicates
If a few extra weapon options are too much for you to handle you're frankly too stupid to live

>tends to be open to abuse
This is fucking D&D. Go take a look at Dan Diwiki and tell me any restrictions and rules that exist anywhere has done anything to prevent abuse

>a finesse polearm
Read, blackman.

Can someone give me a rundown on mounted combat.

If you get hit while mounted, make an animal handling check to not fall off.

The end.

Not him, but you just went full autist.
DndWiki is not to be used as a measure of anything, using it in any argument is completely idiotic. Actually pick a good source to argue from.

How do you prep for a session? Specifically, how do you keep track of monster/NPC stats and rules for things that are not necessarily going to come up for most sessions? Do you just use the books directly, or do you record condensed versions of that information? Do you just record a few stats and fudge the rest? Do you keep your notes on paper or use an electronic device?

I'm having difficulty keeping everything flowing at a good pace. Its best to keep the action fast and punchy, to prevent idleness and boredom from setting in - but I don't like making rules up if there is something to work with from the books.

Honestly I don't think you're losing anything core. They just clutter the setting in my opinion and you can absolutely run Eberron without them.

I feel like the minimal, two thing you need to call a campaign Eberron is:
1) An Eberron appropriate tone (film noir, hard-boiled fiction, cold war spy fiction, exploring the dark heart of Africa, two-fisted pulpy action, etc.)
2) Everyday magic items. I don't mean everyone having a +1 dagger up their butts, which isn't a 5e thing, but instead having speaking stones, lightning rails, everbright lanterns and everburning torches, the alchemical items they cut in 5e that 3.5e had.

I really dig Eberron.

Congrats, you don't have to use EVERYTHING in Eberron to run Eberron-like things.

Why should that make us feel anything; good luck with your campaign and have fun user!

>who would be able to use their sneak attack every turn
> Can only sneak attack once per turn

Oh noes, rogues who sneak attack every turn can now sneak attack every turn.

Put your hate boner away. He's measly asking if his concept is supported by the existing rules. Keep in mind that D&D is often depicted as allowing you to make "any" character you might want.

An example of rampant abuse is not a good source to draw from when discussing the possibility of abuse? Nyohkay.

Shush. He might just figure out that Swashbucklers exist.

That's kind of shitty.

You pretty much can so long as you're creative with your fluff and don't change any existing mechanics what-so-ever.

Because it's complete trash, no one takes it seriously. Arguing from that position is like arguing dogshit is edible, you don't want to do that do you?
Also 5e is on the whole not prone to abuse, not when it's actually well designed, and using DNDWiki to argue it completely is is disingenuous.

You gain a bonus equal to your blood alcohol level. No, we are not rounding decimals up.

pdf max file size should be increased. I have a tortles pdf but it is 14.4 mb

There's a difference between a rogue being able to make one opportunity attack on a retreating enemy once a round and tunnel fighter polearm expert rogue being able to perform a sneak attack on any number of enemies that enter their reach.

New to 5th ed. I want to be good at punching things and wear armor. Is there a good way to do it?

>If a few extra weapon options are too much for you to handle you're frankly too stupid to live
Not an argument. You can use as many extra weapon options as you like, but if there's a roughly analogous weapon already in the phb don't go trying to claim a katana is 2d6.
>This is fucking D&D. Go take a look at Dan Diwiki and tell me any restrictions and rules that exist anywhere has done anything to prevent abuse
Which is exactly why anybody who suggests using anything from the D&D wiki here is going to get hit with a wall of greentext. Any DM can see you trying to point out how your naginata is totally different and point you to the glaive.

>Read, blackman.
Write better, blackman. I'm not the one who implied that heavy finesse reach weapons are the norm.

Anyone know a good place to get some generic shitty jungle maps for my ToA random encounters?

Some kind of Fighter with tavern brawler feat to give you punches I guess.

> Monsters
Index cards. I write down the name of the monster, it's AC, HP, and any cool thing I want it to do in the scene. Literally everything else is a number I make up on the spot. Is it smart? I guess it gets a good Int saving throw. Is it a skeleton? Maybe I'll throw some piercing resistance on it. And so on. The most important thing is a cool thing or action I want it to do. Like during a fight on a bridge high up in Sharn I made sure the Warforged they were fighting tried to throw (shove aside) someone off the bridge.

> rules
I just memorize as much as possible. Anything I can't recall I just make up, and make a mental note to read up on after the session. From then on I'll use the real rules, unless they're stupid and I need to houserule it.

And completely and utterly idiotic. Like, what the actual fuck?

Paladin. Use your fists to smite evil.

>There's a difference between a rogue being able to make one opportunity attack on a retreating enemy once a round and tunnel fighter polearm expert rogue being able to perform a sneak attack on any number of enemies that enter their reach.

The difference being that rogue doesn't have a bonus action and is now a glass cannon and more than likely going to get blown up or mowed down if they're anywhere near the frontline without their number one form of damage mitigation: a bonus action. Almost like....a balance, of some kind.

Straw-men, profanity and ad hominems. YOU are disingenuous, not me.

I am taking umbrage with the idea that homebrewing should be implicitly discouraged when it comes to weapons yet explicitly encouraged in most other circumstances which come to mind. I believe that, when following RAI, homebrewing interesting and balanced weapons should be trivial, while user seems to be implying that it simply cannot be done; that RAI is not enough to keep balance within the bounds of reason, that it must be discouraged in the case of weapons and that redundant weapon listings are effective in doing so. I disagreed, and use a site with ample examples of disregard for both RAI and RAW as a counterargument to the assertion that these redundant weapons do anything to help the game balance.

Now, what, intrinsically, should prohibit me from using these examples of abuse as an argument against redundancy being effective at preventing abuse?

i dont tell my players, but i predicate that if they are in a fucked situation and they ask, i will let them use an extra spell or some resource in exchange for a level or levels of exhaustion and later say it was a "one time deal" or it only could work in intensely stressful situations. i dont think its something you should say outright as a houserule beforehand because then the players will try take advantage of it.

The difference being Tunnel Fighter is broken in-and-of itself and is banned at any table worth playing at. You continue to fail to address the initial question.

If only, being a fighter multiclass, there might be something you could wear that might reduce the damage that you might take, and a free reaction that a swashbuckler wouldn't have to halve the damage of an attack against you. Almost like...an uncanny dodge, of some kind.

psst, anyone got elminsters guide to magic or death knight squire pdf hehe

Depending on the situation, its up to your DM really.

A brick should do less than an entire table for example