Competitive Modern General

Post dick pics edition

Playing?
Hating?
Thoughts on the meta?

If you could introduce one card into the modern cardpool what would it be?

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/play-design/counter-play-finding-right-answers-2017-09-15
hooktube.com/watch?v=fB6qIGv2dOo
mtggoldfish.com/deck/691241#paper\
mtggoldfish.com/deck/536103#paper'
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>preordain
>that manabase

user...

mmmmm those aetherling
liek the idea

Anyone see that 8-rack deck being played by Tom Ross? It looked surprisingly legit.

>If you could introduce one card into the modern cardpool what would it be?

I dunno, Dack Fayden maybe? Mother of Runes? I have no idea how busted Sanctum Prelate or Recruiter of the Guard would be in Modern D&T. Shardless Agent would probably be reasonable, wouldn't mind a Wirewood Symbiote myself honestly.

This, it's very "work in progress" and
>lol illegal card mfw

Az charm / Remand tempo is in fact really fucking funny though; I had a friend run a fairly similar UW control. Such a deck is easily hamstrung from successful Thoughtseize/Inquisition with their pants down to catch Rev (or force them to blow one for a tiny X), but he also ran Snaps for that along with Colonnades and other cards not-moneybags OP lacks.

Also >if I could introduce a card
Swords. I'm glad Path exists but still hate it next to Swords. So either that or Wasteland (lol tron).

I have a ton of hand me down cards, is there a site where I can input what I have and see if there's any deck thwt can be built?

>Playing?
Bant Spirits
Knightfall
Ponza
Working on New Perspectives
>Hating?
The price of the game
>Thoughts on the meta?
It's fine. Wouldn't mind Street Wraith getting the axe
Wasteland

mtgtop8. You can search the database.

For a whole collection of cards there's no free service I know of like that. Like said you can search mtgtop8 for decks containing specific cards, but you can't put your whole collection into that.

>Playing?
BG Rock

>Hating?
Valakut and Tron, same as always

>Thoughts on the meta?
It's reasonably healthy right now, Death's Shadow is the best deck but it's not oppressively good. If I were WotC, I'd have Valakut and Street Wraith on the B&R watch list but nothing needs banning just yet.

How has bant spirits been working for you? Thinking of picking it up online

>playing
Naya burn for atarkas command and destructive revelry
>hating
Valakut, but just out of jealousy.
Chalice on 1.
>thoughts on the meta
Seems OK, lots of fair decks
>one card into modern cardpool
Fireblast

Any good modern decks that have an angel and human theme?

mono white DnT is mostly humans and angels

>not recognize counter everything and Rev for 15
Baka

>looking through my spare cards
>find a playset of Steel Overseers I forgot about

Should I build affinity? Is it fun?

Do NOT play affinity.

Yes. Its literally the best deck if you master it. You'll take a ton of wins off of it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA Holy shit! Even Reveillark is now considered too powerful a threat from Wizards, fucking Reveillark of all cards!

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/play-design/counter-play-finding-right-answers-2017-09-15

he's right you know
hooktube.com/watch?v=fB6qIGv2dOo

>you played the game long enough to see the time where WoTC considers Reveillark too powerful
I actually think the cards quite good but seriously this is the state of this game nowadays

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/play-design/counter-play-finding-right-answers-2017-09-15
what the fuck
are they retarded?
or do they just want every card in standard to do nothing? Does removal and land destruction hurt your feelings card designer lady?

eudy should be shot, that said there is no reason for WPN exclusivity to exist. that system fucks over more people than every other potential system there is

force of will just so modern was made completely inaccessible

They literally want Standard to be creatures with combat keywords attacking into each other and occasionally some overcosted removal getting casted. Oh and Planeswalkers generating some value here and there, no interesting abilities though, the Plus ability just makes creatures or neutralizes a threat the minus does card advantage and the ults just some dumb game winner that doesnt necessarily win on the spot. Even walkers dont get interesting design space anymore.

Soon Standard will look like an even simpler Portal set. Just a ton of vanilla creatures with evergreen combat keywords and extremely simple removal spells.

"The Doom Blade problem :^)"
Holy shit what happened to this fucking game?

How does that deck beat affinity, burn, infect, zoo?

The changes to planeswalkers have been the most frustrating since almost every single one follows the same design principles. It's only really been Gideon of the Trials that's broken the mold in recent sets and even he isn't the most exciting of planeswalkers.

Just look at Ob Nixilis from BFZ and Jace from SOI, almost identical effects with the same CMC.

Jeez.. Lorwyn, Shards of Alara, Zendikar are what got me back into magic, because they were interesting cards with wacky powers and abilities. And doing neat things at every rarity level.
Wizards is really trying to remove anything interesting it seems.

>Scenario 1: Removal too strong.

>Player 1 plays a creature.
>Player 2 plays Doom Blade plus a creature.

>Scenario 2: Removal too weak.

>Player 2 plays nothing.
>Player 2 plays removal.
>Player 2 plays removal.

There seem to be a few scenario missing in this basic example.
Player 1 plays a creature.
Player 2 plays a creature.

>Player 1 plays Path / Bwithin / Bounce / Bolt and a creature.

What a strawman argument she is posting.

Not posting an exhaustive list of examples isn't a strawman you dingus. It's just a simple example.

>Does removal and land destruction hurt your feelings card designer lady?
How am I supposed to play my craw wurm with those unfun cards in the format? :(

didn't portal crash and burn all three times because no one wanted "magic for retards"

>Add one card
Baleful Strix
Game 1 vs DS Zoo
He has a Nacatl on the draw, CB to kill it and strip a Bolt from hand pitching a GQ. Played Glint-Nest turn 3 and he swings in with 2x Dryad Militant, pumps the one I don't block with the domain pump spell from alara. I get a Bridge out and start plinking with the Crane, then a Crucible and realize he didn't have any basics so I quickly remove his lands and he scoops.
They disconnected but g2 I would have sideboarded like so:
-1 Pithing Needle
-1 Nihil Spellbomb
-1 Crucible
-1 Tezz AoB
+2 Collective Brutality
+2 Herald of Anguish

back to basics would be cool

Sup lads

Can someone recommend me a fun and cheap deck to play

seismic swans

What is your definition of cheap?

idk
cheaper than US$250.00~US$300.00 maybe

At last, the real reason they don't abandon the reserve list. If Vintage/legacy was cheaper to get into, established players wouldn't buy the new garbage fire sets.

*caverns of souls to pay mana*

Nothing personell controll player

Skred is ~$300 you might want to look into it. Most of the time you're probably better off just saving your money to get something worth spending on that you actually enjoy, plus you'll get more options that way as well.

Of course it's a woman

cabal therapy.

I wonder who could be behind this post?

im brewing some jank around cathodion, it involves sacing him for the mana and bringing him back with stuff like trash for treasure or scrap twaler. sac one to an atog, filter the mana to cast another, stuff like that.

Fire this dumb bitch. In fact, fire all the Nu males there to. It happens in every fucking game, as soon as you start caring what the players want and how they feel, they become unhappy assholes. You need to run your company like a Chad. Print sets that are fun and interesting, fuck the players, you give them what you want and they're going to LIKE it.
Fucking women. . . "This thing made me feel bad once so it has to be banned forever".

can we just off mark rosewater and get someone new? i swear that cunt is slowly making the new sets shittier and shittier, i mean i dont want to return to the times of urzablock, but i want to go back to the time where a mechanic or card might make an impact across formats besides just being present in standard and thrown to the wayside when it rotates out.

tldr, fire rosewater and make something interesting dammit

They say as this gets the clear from RnD.

I'm glad they banned it in standard, now that I need a couple they are basically free.

speaking of vehicles, where there any from kaladesh besides 's pic related that are usefull in modern?
i think you could get some use out of ovalchase dragser and fleetwheel cruser

It's pretty saucy in fish, but I don't know where else it'd be used?

Could Soul Sisters get away with running 2?

With Opt being reprinted will we see UR delver coming back?

not really

maybe heart of kiran

>Post dick pics edition
Don't mind if I do.

>Playing?
Anything running a playset of Mox opals

>Hating?
Stony Silence and gang. It's not too bad though

>Thoughts on the meta?
I dig it. Some "best decks" some generally good decks and it's not as much of a Sideboard battle clusterfuck as people say it is. says the guy playing mono fold to Stony Silence decks

Wasteland.

Fish indeed, I tried it as a 2x and 4x on xmage and want to bring the 2x version in my paper merfolk deck.

I sure as fuck hope so user.

it's never coming back with Gitaxian Probe banned

Can spellskite redirect damage sources from conflagerate? Scenario is my board is full of creatures and spellskite. He conflagerates one each to assign lethal damage to everything.

How so?

Grixis maybe, but I don't think UR is coming back anytime soon due to how the meta has shifted.

If Spellskite is targeted by Conflagrate or Electrolyze at all, you can't redirect damage.

Gitaxian Probe is the main reason why Delver decks can get away with sketchy hands and 18 land manabase. It's also gives you great turn 1 play with Swiftspear, great turn 2 play with Snapcaster or Young Pyromancer.

Delver also has never been successful without Gitaxian Probe. Legacy, Modern, and Standard when Delver was good it had Gitaxian Probe.

Gut shot seems like an ok replacement.
Imo with the extra librabry manipulation of Opt is suddenly seems like a much more viable deck in modern.

>eudy should be shot
I dunno about you but I don't want my Goyfs to get reprinted to hell and back and hold no value.

As long as a card doesn't cost €1000 I don't see any problem.

Live your dream buddy.

Gut shot doesn't cantrip and provide perfect info so you can sequence properly. It didn't deserve the ban at all

quick someone tell him that peek is modern legal.

Peek always requires mana so that doesn't make it nearly as good senpai. Nice try though

Really underwhelmed by the first run of Ixalan cards. Seems very uninspired, overly Hearthstone-influenced and a real step back from Amonkhet/Hour of Destruction.

Am I being overly cynical or anyone else not feeling it?

>It's a great safeguard against planeswalkers and the new double-sided lands if they are a bit stronger than we anticipated.
>we don't know what we're doing
Great.

WoTC is definitely pushing everyone to be a Timmy.
>2 mana removal? Nah, too powerful, let's make it cost 5.

On one hand I feel the same way but on the other I'm kind of glad they're at least printing cards like spell pierce, Lightning strike, Opt and Duress again as well as the newer hate cards. Hopefully they realize this battlecruiser magic shit isn't good for the game and go back to previous standards for inspiration.

You actually thought Amonkhet/HoD was good?
So far I'm thinking Ixalan should be better, the flip cards seem interesting at least.

>interesting flip cards
>interesting
i renember seeing an enchant that flips into a gea's cradle.

For Standard I mean.
Nothing in Ixalan interests me for Modern.

Since origins the sets have been trash, this one is no exception.

Hour yes, it synergised really well with the earlier sets.

classic mtgo

>All colored mana symbols may now be paid with 2 generic mana.
>Urza lands are banned

How would you change your existing decks? Would you brew something new?

This seems like a good way to throw the one of the basic principals of the game out the fucking window

Cultivator caravan is good too. However it only really works for 5 mana threats. There are so many better options at 3 mana for rocks

well i figured a few of you guys might shit your pants because omg gaeas cradle but i guess its meh

like everflowing chalice for example

Exactly. Love that card. Only advantage is that some lists can benefit from having the mana rock also be a creature. I think it has potential but maybe only as a king macar pimp mobile deck

you can esoul artifact it.

It would be easier to crew it. It only gives base pt 5/5 so crewing it does the same thing.

Problem is that the decks that want it have trouble using it and the decks that can use it don't really want it. Elves, for example, can get it to flip really easily, but they don't have any trouble making the insane amounts of mana that you'd get from it, and it'll usually just make your CoCos lest consistent. Not saying it's unplayable, just that it's not "omg cradle"

Anybody got a memey mono black deck

Holy shit, is that Des?

mtggoldfish.com/deck/691241#paper\
try mono black vehicles

pretty good but I want to get even more memey

mtggoldfish.com/deck/536103#paper'
Panharmonicon?

How much meme is enough meme?

How competitive is mono green devotion? Including the different archetypes, stompy, combo, toolbox, tooth and nail combo, etc.

need my opponent to verbally say "what the fuck"

Brew up mono black drain

Viable in burn? What say you, burn bros?