/bgg/ Board Games General No Anime Edition II

Previous Thread: Gaming Resources:

The Map: zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

pastebin.com/aWmbgN7K (embed)

>What's the best and the worst about the boardgame community?

Other urls found in this thread:

community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/256084-preorder-bonuses-free-or-paid/#comment-2924256
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181524/masmorra-dungeons-arcadia/images
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anyone have any experience with Noir? Bought it to play with the gf a few days ago and haven't had the time due to work yet.

TI4 preorders from FLGS - is every copy coming with the hardback book? Boardgamegeek doesn't seem to be sure, some of them saying it's only 1 book per 3 or 4 orders. Anyone here know what's up?

How difficult is it to teach Merchants & Marauders to your friends if the most complicated game they've played is catan?

If they don't say for sure, I wouldn't get my hopes up, just to be safe. You could also try emailing or calling the FLGS and asking them directly.

#
>In Roll for the Galaxy, are the dice symbols etched or printed-on?

Painted. They're actually decent dice, I mean like I hated the dice in one deck so much I replaced them all but I actually like the roll dice.

That would piss me off because anyone in the supply chain could easily cull all the heavier versions for premium sale, and they will and you'll never get one "randomly".

Extremely difficult, for you anyway.

Well shit

What's M&M like?

Thanks for correcting the other user. I was about to when I noticed you already did. The dice in Roll are just fine in terms of quality.

Why not simply ask FFG? It isn't like their contact information is top secret or something...

Yeah I'm surprised how much hate they get. The dice in Castle dice for example are etched but they are no where as nice as the Roll dice. Whatever technique Roll used to "print" the symbols on is really nice, they're perfectly smooth and seem like they are part of the die, not merely painted or stamped on. Not sure how that's done but if I ever made a game I'd probably insist any dice were done the same way.

That said I was kind of underwhelmed and bored by my last game of Roll. Last two actually. Have I lost my love or is it still a better game than Race?

Have you tried the expansion? It adds a lot to the base game.

This didn't even occur to me. Seems like they'll just hit me with some vague "while stocks last" garbage, but I'll give it a try

This is what concerns me, it's going to be pretty much full RRP of £135 from the FLGS vs £107 (likely with no artbook) from online retailers. Don't grudge the extra money to the guys at my store if I'm getting the book

So what's your guys opinion of "throwing" games?
Basically if you have the chance to make everyone lose the game because you "losing" ,would/will you do it?

I had a weird board game moment yesterday while playing New Angeles where one guy "threw" the game because he guessed that he would no be able to out score his opponent.
It completely soured the rest of the evening and he was really proud of him selfie by doing that.

If you throw, you're no better than an animal.
The entire point of games is existing within a certain set of social rules and excelling within them. Throwing is breaking those rules - the unspoken ones, not the ones in the rulebook - thus invalidating gaming as a whole.

I rarely do it, except in "cooperative but..." games like Dead of Winter.
We're all in it together but if I cant achieve my personal goal... I'm taking you all down WITH ME !

>Have I lost my love or is it still a better game than Race?
It was never a better game than Race. Roll is babby's first don't-make-me-think version of Race.

Actually throwing out of spite is petty and retarded, you should always be playing to win, or, failing that, to generate a fun experience for everyone else at the table.
Threatening to throw in New Angeles is the centerpiece of the comeback mechanics, however.

>failing that, to generate a fun experience for everyone else at the table.
There are times when this is no longer possible, in which case I understand ending a game early, but it needs to be independent of who's winning.

Throwing because you can't win is childish, and a good excuse to only play games with friends/family you enjoy being around.

Let me explain better then because some of you might have played New Angeles.

We were bidding on the last asset and when it would go through we would meed our demands and go into scoring.
He purposely use all the assets he had to make a player unable to support the thing that would fix our problem. By doing that the federalist managed to get enough points to win. Nobody was a federalist meaning everybody lost. The only reason he did that was because I was his competition and I was 2 points above him before the final scoring was going to happen.

Now its matter of opinion what he did. Mine is already on the table.

Confirmed every preorder copy should have the book, by Christian Petersen:
community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/256084-preorder-bonuses-free-or-paid/#comment-2924256

What he should have done was threaten to tank it if other players didn't front him enough capital to meet his victory condition.

Seems like a brilliant play, even if it was a dick move. I might have done it "just because I could" because if it's a mechanic in the game and my opponent is a cunt, yeah I'd leverage that to their disadvantage.

If they then came in second to nobody, me having come in dead last because of it, and they were seriously butthurt over that fact I'd laugh and feel even more justified that I'd done it within the RAW.

>preorder
Well that makes too much sense. What should we be mad about next?

And if they didn't, follow through and tank it. Then stab everyone.

Pretty much

Well he was not open for that, he just wanted everyone to loose because he saw he could do that.

Ok I'd be mad because of the stupid then, not the actual tanking.

What are the best Android board or card games? I finished Card Thief, don't like Onitama, have tried a dozen others. What are some other really good bgg approved games?

is it free?

also you could try T&E

What "dozen others" have you tried, because that's going to change what might be good for you

it's probably going to be an uphill battle at first, after a turn or two (assuming they're not retarded) they should start to get it.

Pretty fun if you don't mind lots of RNG in your game.

choice of the dragon
farkle
pirates and traders
zilch free
legends of yore
paper war 2
star traders RPG
mouse (aka traffic slide puzzle)
choose your path
choice of boradsides
aporkalypse
explore
imprisoned
knighturn lite RPG
push roll
shift lite puzzle
Yokiyo Free
Zenonia Lite
Zeus Quest Lite
Castle Defense
Andor's Trail
Deadly Dungeon
Dungeon Wonder
Dweller - beta
Gurk
Hydra Slayer
Quest Swords and Spells
Grindr
Traque
TraqueHack
Voyage to Farland

Zenonia 3
BoxIt
Cow Craps
Dice Game
Dice Golfer
Face Dice
Mexicali
Over Under 7
Pairs of Dice
Proximity
Pub Dice
Shut the Box Onginal
Shut the Dice Box
Simple Liars Dice
Vempire Lite
ZenDice free
Shut the Box
Haypi Kingdom Legend
Solitaire Delux
Scvngr
ZZZ Dragon Rush
Burn the Rope Worlds
Cut and Slice
101Games+41
Cheese Tower (physics)
Dominoes
Flow Free
100 Floors
Blood Brothers (RPG)
Chinese Poker
Duel Deck

Monster Dungeon
Solitare
4 Pics 1 Word
MasterMind
Pixel Dungeon (good)
Dungeon Ascendance
Dungeon God
Dungeon Ho!
Goblins
God of Magic
Red Wizard (good)
Solo Dungeon Bash
The Dungeon Beta
WazHack
Dungeon League
Dungeon Madness
Dungeon Quest
Endless Dungeon
Glyph Quest
Infinite Dungeon
Killer Quest
Mighty Dungeon
NF: Envoy
Tiny Dice Dungeon
Totally Random Hero
Mahjong (1bsyl)
Mahjong Shanghi
Adaman
Alice of Hearts
Robots!

Fire Dice Free
LNR Free - Dice and Puzzle Game
Backgammon
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Quest
Landrule Strategy
Miners Idle
MinuteQuest (good)
tibetan dice game
Time of Exploration
Triple Town
Cards and Castles
Dragons Dungeon
Endless Dungeon (Spun)
Hearkenwold
Hoplite
Level Up! RPG
Red Carnival
Saga RPG II: Evolution
Shattered Pixel Dungeon (good)
Sword Quest
Tapventures
The Birthday
The Raventhal
Weapons throwing
Widget RPG
Fallout Shelter
Merchant
Super Lumberjack
Alphabear
Socioball

Antiyoy (not awful area control)
Aqua Poo Poo Toilet Training
Continent Conquest
Hunter Legacy
Mahjong Solitaire
Galaxy Trucker
Mancala
Mystic Miracles (7 wonders rip off)
Pathfinder Adventure (shit)
Arcane Quest 3
Deck Warlords (shit)
Dice Hunter: Quest
Onirim - Solitare (not a fan)
Knights of Pen and Paper (excellent)
Quest Cards (p2w)
Solitarica
Card Crawl (pretty but boring)
Card Thief (fucking amazing)
Enyo (bad robots ripoff)
Griblers - the RPG
Miracle Merchant (pretty but boring)
Tactics Maiden (decent turn based RPG)
Dice and Hexagons
Dungeon Hunter 5

And I've got Summoner Wars on deck I just haven't cleared enough space to install it.

Hope that was helpul so you didn't waste time suggesting anything senpai.

Wowza, ok well I have not gone through nearly that many, but I've found a lot more I like than dislike.

>good
1st & Goal (the ai is wonky tho)
Elder Sign (still a random dice chuck but more thematic than the tabletop version)
Patchwork decent abstract but not my favorite (might be free via amazon)
Ingenious (see Patchwork)
Star Realms (the free version will play itself out reasonably fast)
Ticket to Ride if you're into that(faithful adaptation but a lot of DLC)
Carcassonne (ditto, but I found it very meh)
Pandemic (same but less DLC)
Hey That's My Fish (good replay value because as you win you unlock more tile layouts)
Potion Explosion (ok, but it's still just advanced Bejewelled and better on the table)
Jaipur (good adaptation, not overly special tho)
Splendor (ditto)
Tsuro (same)
Tokaido (yup)
Mysterium (eh)
Small World (still just a straight port)
Same can be said for a half dozen others (TS, TM, Colt Express, Race for the Galaxy etc) a lot of publishers have put out good to very good ports of their games, quality art/animation, good sound, quite a few feel more thematic. That said plenty of them are on the more expensive end for apps, and if you're not a fan of the actual game, you won't like the app. The one time I've found an app that I liked where the base game wasn't for me was Galaxy Trucker, but you said you've played that already

>avoid like the plague
Alhambra, it's the only game I've tried that's downright awful, the UI is terrible.

> And yet *ANOTHER* edition of "I blame STEEV"

My group decides to play 'Murder: Deception in Hong Kong" (which is one STEEV recommends) this gaming session. There are 7 of us playing be we decide to not use the 'Accomplice & Witness' option for our first games. I'm the Forensic Scientist to help ease everyone into the first game. Murder reveals to me and picks murder weapon and vital clue. 1st round and the players aren't really asking the right questions so they haven't even revealed all the initial bullet point clues. I move them along to the 'presentation' portion of the round so they don't spend an hour debating. The woman to my left is NOT a hard core board gamer or RPG player (yet...) Her presentation? She looks at the male player to her left and says (and I'm quoting here...) "Your mustache reminds me of Col. Mustard from 'Clue'. I'll bet you're the murder!" Everyone is cracking up and I'm biting my tongue in order to keep a straight face. The accused player has face and is of course denying the accusation on the basis of zero facts. Best part - she was right and he was indeed the murder. He and was caught eventually. Turns out he used a poisonous snake to kill a coworker (cow-worker?) in order to steal an ID and gain access to corporate secrets he was going to sell. We played several more games and definitely enjoyed the game as my group is pretty imaginative and light on sanity.

>Thanks for correcting the other user.
Correcting who, dumbass? No one in the last thread said the dice in Roll are etched. Shut the fuck up first and learn to read you fucking retard.

Also, we were talking about the dice in Masmorra as pictured in the starting post of the whole chain until some idiot brought up Roll for some stupid reason.

So I can only speak for US retailers, and this may not even apply to the whole country, but in my FLGS the only way to get FFG products is through Alliance Game Distributions, and we're told that in the US, FFG only works through them. Contacting our rep at Alliance he says that preorders bonuses were first come first serve and all of his were spoken for before the local owner could be arsed to look into it.

>the dice in Masmorra

I meant to ask for pics because those damn sure look like stickers to me.

user who ebayed Masmorra, can you post pics of your dice printing?

You might still be able to find another store with pre-order copies that have the book. Some stores pre-order a butt-load of copies, particularly the on-line stores like CSI.

>this upsets the user

seriously I'm triggered

In the event the Masmorra ebay guy doesn't reply (it's his 2nd week of waiting, who knows what kind of shipping was used), you can check the images in the link below.

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181524/masmorra-dungeons-arcadia/images

I honestly can't tell for 100% certainty if they're painted or stickers, though I'm leaning towards stickers.

those sure as shit look like stickers

also can these faggots not post a fucking motion blur low light pic or what? I've never seen so many terrible pics on boardgamegeek in one place

Here's a full sized / max res image of the dice from BGG. It looks like at least some of them are stickers, though I still can't tell if they've been sealed onto the surface with a clear coat or not...

Definitely look like stickers to me.

I personally wouldn't be adverse to stickers if they're sealed under a clear coat of some sort to keep them from wearing off right away from normal usage.

They are those heat transfer stickers. So they don't scrape off but still not super fancy.

Reason why I wasn't 100% sure was because the stickers weren't raised above the surface of die like you'd see when you look closely at anything with a sticker on it, but instead looks flush with it. I can only guess the die surfaces have a depression in the center where the sticker fits.

>I can only guess the die surfaces have a depression in the center where the sticker fits.

Bingo, that's exactly it. You see it a lot with kiddie Yahtzee games, believe it or not. Just slap a pikachu sticker on a blank, indented d6 and you've got a 30$ Yahtzee game.

This is why despite my hatred for the management and business practices over at FFG I will buy their products when it's a game I enjoy; linen finish on everything but the rulebooks and nice engraved dice.

It's also why if you like Bang The Dice Game, you should be buying the original not Walking Dead edition, printed dice just aren't ever as enjoyable as good engraving.

Well then, it'll be interesting to see how they hold up to wear-n-tear from normal usage. Here's to hoping they're durable. It would open up a lot of interesting possibilities for images on the face of various dice.

they're not centered tho

Yo, that's me. They arrived. They're printed right onto the dice. Not stickers.

Try scratching one of them off with a knife so we can be sure

Why are they crooked then? It's seriously bugging the shit out of me.

The Roll for the Galaxy dice are printed and they're not all centered. Some are very obviously off centered.

It's actually not that obvious because they aren't giant squares of slightly off color "printing" that are off center, they're solid line non-square shapes that don't draw attention to themselves like inferior dies.

>It's actually not that obvious

Not obvious - unless you have eye balls? Pic very related. It's less obvious on some, but others you can't miss it.

She probably felt him moving when he was showing you the cards then just had to turn it somehow to a joke.
"clever gamers"

Jesus I don't even own that game but that makes me reeeeee.

That's some really shitty printing and quality control. I have to wonder just how bad the production line is if that eye symbol and that asterisk got stamped all the way out there

It's possible, but we made sure everyone had their arms off the table so that it wouldn't be as easy to pick up on that.

>FFG finally make TI4
>all components top notch quality
>First game in ages to come with a proper insert not their usual shitty "cardboard valley" garbage
>Insert doesn't have room for sleeved cards

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee-fucking-diculous. They manufacture and sell sleeves ffs, you think this would have been a no-brainer.

Kek!

The talk about racing games last thread got me thinking, are there any racing games kinda similar to f-zero?

I'm wanting to get battlecon but I'm looking for some advice on if war or devastation is the better one. Any thoughts?

If the game is designed so that there's a lose condition, and you have the ability to ensure it happens, then threatening to make everyone lose if they don't give you what you want is a legitimate tactic. If you don't want someone doing that, don't let the game get into a position where one player can ensure the lose control happens.

So apparently today is the last day to preorder pic related from portal. What's the Steev-census? Is it worth the $60 (45+pnp) they are asking for it?

Who the hell is "Steev" and why should anyone give a damn about his shitty opinion?

> Is it worth the $60 (45+pnp) they are asking for it?
Obviously not.

Wait until it gets properly published a couple years from now.

(Reading the rules it's a neat set collection game, Imperial Settlers meet RftG. Balance will make or break this, though, so wait for a real review in about six months.)

I only have Devastation and there's so much damn content I feel I've barely touched it. Love it for that though. War I've heard does have a lower skill floor as some of its fighters are a bit more straightforward, but it does obviously have less content.

If your wallet can afford Devastation, I'd do that. But if you're tight on money or playing with more casual opponents, maybe War is the way to go.

Doesn't Devastation have something for solo play? Or am I making that up?

Damn those are shit, I don't have one single face in all my roll dice that bad. I'm sorry for your loss.

Pic

The core RftG dice are good - it's mainly the expansion dice that look like they were 'drunk printed'.

It does, it's more or less beat-em-up style gameplay where you go from room to room defeating NPCs. Can also be played coop. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you if it's any good or not since I've not yet delved that far.

Thanks buddy!

all the more reason not to buy it

number 1: barely any game tiles

I want to play something in the vein of Dominion, but with more interactive edge. Not necessarily a deck-builder, but a game that rewards long-term planning and lets you creatively express your own style through the game. Checked out Star Realms, looks like dogshit.

>in the vein of Dominion
>not a deck builder
I don't even know what you're saying at this point

>that rewards long-term planning

Yeah I want this too. It always seems like as soon as my engine is warming up to idle the game is over.

Great Western Trail might fit the bill actually. I've only played a half game tutorial but I've been itching to get a real game going from scratch, it's super crunchy and things were just starting to develop when the place shut down and there was still as shitton of game left.

Since you were talking about Dominion, I'm going to recommend looking into Thunderstone Quest. It's a deckbuilder that has similar mechanics to Dominion, but you also will use your cards (heroes, equipment, spells, allies) to quest into dungeons to defeat monsters and retrieve treasures. It definitely rewards planning ahead and building your deck for really tight combos. My only issue with the upcoming game is that the art is kind of painfully generic.

Most 4x games will greatly reward long term planning: forging and breaking alliances, creating an economic network, researching to improve attributes, and amassing and placing fleets to either encroach on others or prevent them from doing the same to you. Twilight Imperium 4, Proxima Centauri, and Eclipse (Has some extra randomness with how technology works) are all good candidates.

Most sandbox games will also reward long term planning and forward thinking. Mage Knight (might be hard to find) and Xia (probably also a bit tough to find) are good games in this category.

>art is kind of painfully generic.

I'll take consistent generic over all over the board (terraforming mars), deviant art tier, or amazing art awful game (Yashima).

I mean, disappointing, hell yes, but I care a lot more about the game itself.

>number 1: barely any game tiles

You're welcome to your opinion, but a fair number of people, myself included, would disagree with your opinion. Pic related.

In NA, throwing can be a useful bartering tool. Everyone wants to win, and if capital is what the person threatening to throw lacks, the table needs to decide whether they want to A) satisfy the parasite, and keep playing with a chance to win or B) let the game crash, with no winners.

Those are start tiles. Please correct me but they don't go in the blind bag in the original nor the expansion right? You have like 55 game tiles, get 5 or 6 more with the expansion, which is barely 10%. Double or more the start tiles, whole new dice, but the actual worlds and developments are barely altered. I'd be much more interested in 40 to 60 more game tiles than any of that. Even 20 would have been nice.

Eeh? I'm of split opinions. If someone has screwed you the whole game and you realize you can't win, taking your rival down with you is... OK, that's a thing. And I guess I can see doing it to the whole table taking a draw as a better outcome than a loss to another player. The threat is more powerful than the action, but for a threat to have power you have to be willing to follow through. Such situations are generally problems for the game in question, though, since they represent scenarios where a player can be eliminated from the possibility of winning but isn't actually eliminated from the game. But of course there's a constant tug of war between variance and rubber banding on one side and rewarding strategy on the other.

the point was (OP didn't put in OP) the guy wasn't threatening or trying to win, he just got butthurt and tanked it instead of using it as a strategy. see I mean it would be one thing if he threatened to do it, the players were like "fuk u mang" and then he did it, but that's not what happened.

pic unrelated

>It always seems like as soon as my engine is warming up to idle the game is over.
That's because your engine building skills are suboptimal, not because it's the game's fault. A game that allowed even slowpoke half-assed players to finish their engines would be no fun.

I'd disagree but my engine building skills are suboptimal- I'm often trying to do something interesting and have a payoff. There is almost always someone at the table just slapdashing anything out to meet the end conditions. I mean the last game one guy just built anything regardless of points, met the end conditions and didn't even realize it because he was just throwing every god dammed thing in the pot regardless of value. Another guy in my group only and ever rushes the end conditions, whatever they are, however awful the strategy has played out in the past.

So yeah, I'm suboptimal. I play what I get to it's strengths and play to win not just to end. I wish there was a game for me, one that didn't reward rushing pell mell for the end. Kind of like Clank! (grabbing the 5 almost never wins) but without the stupid death in 4 rounds counter that still short circuits any strategy beyond "get some points out before it's over".

Should I play to their level, find better gamers (stupid slow ones like myself I guess) or a better engine builder?

>I wish there was a game for me, one that didn't reward rushing pell mell for the end.
Sounds like any game with a fixed number of rounds (instead of a race) will work.

>I don't have one single face in all my roll dice that bad.
And what about the brown asterix, bottom right? Looks like the same crap

Or the 'Explore Action' eye (brown - down and to the left)... Not as bad as my expansion dice, but still noticeable.

a lot of those are very obviously off center.

To be fair, they said that their dice aren't as bad as

Is hating on Roll for the Galaxy dice a memes now
> cause it seems like a meme

also to be fair, the overall conversation is about the dice quality in the game in general. no one actually cares about which of these two specific people has better looking dice