Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I'm a forever DM that loves doing it but needs a bit of a break. I jokingly offered to run a Boku no Hero Academia game and, much to my surprise, one of my players said he wanted to run it.

He's a real good friend going through a rough patch (made even rougher as the group is falling apart in some places), so this might be a good opportunity to help a good brother out. He doesn't know a lot about systems, so I offered to find him some good sources.

Which is why I've come here Veeky Forums. What's pretty compatible with BNHA? I was thinking Spirit of the Century, but the lack of crunch in Fate makes actions feel less satisfying. I've heard moderate-to-good things about Mutants and Masterminds, but I need to know if there's anything else out there.

If you could help out, that would be the best.

Mutants and Masterminds has a few highschool setting things and an anime thing to help, though from what I remember, they were mainly just examples of tone and such.

Mutants and Masterminds is the most functional for any original super hero campaign. The balance can be broken easily and some of the scaling is bananas, but nothing else enables concept building so readily.

The game suggests starting at power level ten, but in my experience ten is way more power than you know what to do with. I suggest starting at a lower level like 6 and awarding some bonus points so things aren't quite so cramped.

M&M is good for this but is right. Starting at PL6 sounds good for high schoolers. Keep in mind that the system can be broken fairly easily.
My suggestion for character building is to keep in mind the ability points comparison table (the one that shows 0 = regular adult) and don't let people have multiple powers. M&M gives you enough points that it is tempting to grab a few things. But come up with the one power and figure out different things you can do with the one ability (y'know, like in BNHA).

There is also marvel tsr that uses a d 100 band system and golden heros, that has a cool turn system

I'm actually running one of these campaigns and playing in another one, and we use M&M 3e on both. As suggested, you'd need to start at a lower PL, 6 being an ideal, and GM police a lot of the most broken shit (Combat powers are balanced due to caps in attack/damage relationships, but stuff like time-travel can still be massively OP if you allow it)

For power-building, the system is absolutely superb, though.

Hero System my man. It gives you want you want and everything you need

I'd say go for the Strange FATE variation that powered the Kerberos Club if you want some more crunch.

I'd say go for mid era so that most powers stay at +1 or +2, but early can also work, especially if you don't want a few skills also at +1.

OP here. Enjoying the options presented in Mutants and Masterminds.

Question though, what would be the damage rank of an unarmed attack? The wording of critical hits is confusing.

Also, correct me if Im wrong because the wording is weird in the rulebook, but if I roll a 20 its an automatic hit but if its still below DC, its not a critical? Because I was struck with a bout of autism and almost thought that as long as your above DC its a critical.

Yes. If you roll a 20, you automatically hit. However, if your total wouldn't have been enough to hit normally, then it's just a hit. If your total would have been enough to hit anyway, then it gets upgraded to a crit.

You want Wild Talents, really, but I have a slithgtly different suggestion. Use Monsters and Other Childish Things but without the monsters. The corebook + the Bigger Bads expansion gives you rules for playing "weird kids", which is exactly what you want for Boku no Hero. The tone is pretty fitting, too.

Monsters and Other Childish Things is built to be super flexible. You can have any power you think of, you just define how they act mechanically in combat using a sort of pointbuy where you switch dice for functionality. Look into it

You don't really freak people out using your Quirk in Boku no Hero, though. If anything, Midoriya is an outcast at first because he DOESN'T have a Quirk.

Not him but that would actually solve a lot of issues with the NAT 20 LMAO shit going on. I assume the same thing works with fumbles?

I'm unsure if whatever version of M&M the OP is using has fumbles. A lot of d20 systems don't, but it's an idea that got into the air and stays there.

And the bit that was posted was just a simplification from how it was done in 3.X, where you made another attack roll. If that roll hit, then you had a crit, if it didn't you just had the normal hit that your 20 entitled you to.

Nothing special happened for rolling a second 20, although it was a common idea for that to either be an automatic crit or upgrade it somehow.

Anyone have thoughts on Masks for a setting / game like this? I see that game get thrown in the ring a lot.

Unarmed attacks are at the rank of Strength the character has. Unless you're using a power to attack while technically unarmed, then you use the Damage power.

Critical hits just add +5 to the save DC.

Let me know if you need another OP. I've been marathoning this and I'm so desperate for a game.

I love weaver dice but that's just about the last system you want to use for MHA.

Yeah, but that mechanic usually goes ignored anyways.

The issue i can see is that masks is based on a different tradition of supers. It doesn't feel like a good idea to me, but I'm not sure why

I'm a bit of a personal fan of Wild Talents, myself.

I've only watched the first 10 episodes, and I've only played Spirit of the Century once, but that sounds like a bad idea. Especially if it's his first time GMing FATE.

There's also plenty of better systems for running a superhero game than FATE.

It's rough living life knowing I'll never play on a wild talents game

OP here, thanks for the suggestions. If ya'll have any other one's feel free to share. Hero system seems a little too crunchy for my friend who graduated a writing degree.

FATE has been a nightmare in our group. M&M seems to be a good fit since a bunch of them are coming from DnD.