Malifaux General

McMourning collects unemployment edition

Faction Stat Card Almanac:
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

>Books
Malifaux: mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach: mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models
Book 5 - New models & Master upgrades

Through the Breach 2E - Core Rulebook

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Previous Thread: >

Other urls found in this thread:

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/131729-wave-5-redefining-our-meta/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So, anyone else read the TT shit and think Misaki is a shit head?
>Leader comes up with plan to monopolize on chaos
>NO WE CAN'T DO THAT BECAUSE REASONS!

Didn't really fit what I understand Misaki's character is, though I've not read Promises, and I pretty much scanned Ripples.

The idea is that it wouldn't be very effective and could draw focused attention on their otherwise discrete criminal syndicate. Ten Thunders as a whole kind of works under contrivance though.

I was under the impression that everyone with power knew about the TT already.
>Ten Thunders as a whole kind of works under contrivance though.
Very true. I hate them as a faction, honestly.

They're still largely unknown I think.

How much gameplay shakeups do you guys expect in the future due to the fluff?

Next to nothing

Nothing for a while. Maybe big faction shifts next edition.

We might see a couple upgrade changes next book mirroring VonSchill's. Lilith getting a major one seems like a given.

I'd be interested to see if Ramos gets a similar "punished" upgrade.

>Captcha: test Howard

I played agame against Samael Hopkins on Thursday.
I heard he was shit.
He is not shit.
He shot all my shit.

I have no idea why people would say he's shit. In the right crew, he's honestly on par with Francisco.

It was bonkers.
It was three days ago and a couple fo beers in, so I'm a touch fuzzy on the details, but I think a Witchling popped and gave two people burning, and then Samael Debt to the Guild Rapid Fired Joss into the ground and then killed two Arachnids the turn after.

He's brutal.

Witchlign Stalkers ain't bad for the cost either.

>Witchlign Stalkers ain't bad for the cost either.
Point for point they're one of the heaviest hitters in the game. Minimum damage 2+1 from burning is great at that cost. Even more so when you've got stuff that synergies with burning.

I'll take my Rall Workers on Ml5 2/4/5 with +flips to attack and damage, but I was certainly impressed by the Stalkers.

Is going double swine cursed a trap on Wong?

I've been trying to make some lists and I feel like I run out of points really easily.

Also is it just or is Trixibelle completely overrated?

So i play TT and I just got my butt handed to me because I only have Lynch and there were no scheme to just kill. What are some good masters for things like claim jump and less killy things?

Shen long and McCabe are your new gods

I don't think Ill Omens can be over-rated for a balls-deep alpha striking list, but if you aren't leaning on getting initiative she's probably a little over-costed for the pushes.

What sort of lists are you building at the moment that you are strapped for stones in Gremlins?

Well wong has 3 caches only. I'm gonna need sammy with glowy, Wong needs gremlin luck, mctavish for glowy target, 2 swine cursed, and a slop hauler gets me to 12pts. It's bit hard to play around the points.

>Also is it just or is Trixibelle completely overrated?
She's okay. But I've seen people who seem to think she's the best model in the game.

I think there's a significant desire if since people to justify taking her because she's a short stack fetish model.

Vaguely interesting topic off the forum. What do you think of Aeslin? Do you use her much with Titania? Outside Titania? Levi?

I'd say that rail workers probably win out as long as you can keep feeding them the cards.

I really like her, I tend to run her with taproot when i'm running a fae crew, she can do a fair bit and is difficult to shift all for a pretty cheap cost.

No. Hamelin knows about them but he's only known for 2 years or so. Lucius knows, because Mccabe is sort of his spy.
Everyone knows about the individual parts of the Ten Thunders, the ressurs know of the feared Yan Lo, the "asian gangs" in the little kingdom are a problem the guild can never seem to crack down on, Mei Feng is the hero of the left etc.
But the idea that for example Mccabe, The Brewmaster and Yan Lo all work for the Asian Gangs is absolutely absurd and nobody would ever believe that shit. Ramos certainly knows Mei Feng's loyalties aren't exactly with him but he just assumes she's loyal to her crew not part of a secret generation spanning cult/criminal organization.

The Ten Thunders aren't the Yakuza or the Triad, they are the god damn Illuminati.
Misaki has always wanted to bring about peace really. She has never approved of the Oyabun or really the role of the Ten Thunders. She's heir to a massive criminal syndicate but deep down just wants to be a good guy.

Stalkers also come with condition removal.

>on par
Yes, but consider how bullshit fransisco's master immunity to being attacked (sorry i mean minor bonus to DF, its not like DF9 is FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE) ability is Samael is that but in a pure offense form. He's glass cannon but who cares he can shoot from behind LOS blocking cover where nobody can attack him.

She puts the core parts of the enemy crew at - to CA which shuts down pretty much all their abilities except melee damage (because most SH attacks are blocked by engagements) whilst giving them no chance to resist it. Combined with a crew that generally is tanky as fuck and loves to be in melee but are only weak to conditions and other casty shit she becomes godly.

Her model is pain to assemble though so she doesn't see table time.

>Her model is pain to assemble though
so much this, I made the mistake of glueing her legs on before I started painting so it was almost impossible to get to the insides.

>the god damn Illuminati
This is probably why I hate about them the most.
They're strictly smarter and better at everything than everyone in their fluff.
>Lol why you so dumb baka gaijin?

Should've stayed in school

The fuck is he wearing?

buttplug

What? I really don't get that at all from them as a general rule. Yan Lo is the only one who does that kinda shit meanwhile Lucius, Ramos, Taelor, Seamus, Reva, Dreamer are all better example of characters that "better than you" regularly.
One of the most important things people don't get about the Ten Thunders is despite what the oyabun may think they are one of the weaker factions, its one of the reasons Misaki went against the oyabun's plan because they can't just take over Malifaux. The M&SU have the loyalty of literally thousands of people, the Guild have hundreds of guardsmen and way more soldiers earthside so casualties mean nothing to them, Ressurs command legions of the dead. Ten Thunders have a couple dozen gang members, Lynch's lot, 4 ancestors, another few dozen last blossom and a couple of monks. Asami's Oni don't exactly bolster their forces much considering they evaporate so fast and Brewmaster/Mccabe really bring nothing to the faction beyond themselves. I mean they are pretty badass but Malifaux isn't small enough that Mccabe can netgun it into submission.

Looks like two shirts, the one underneath is longer than the other and tattered.

Actually, as of book 4 anyway Ramos was using Mei Feng as an unwitting inroad into the Ten Thunders.

I don't take care about what he's wearing.
It looks like he's shitting out his insides. Violently.

his mothers forcing him to dress up as a cat, hence the ears and fake tail

Ah okay, thanks.

Well there you go aint that somethin'
Arcanist stories are really boring so i stopped reading them a long time ago. Marcus is cool i guess but he just isn't much of a focus.

>Marcus
Kek. I do the opposite I read the arcanist stories but skip the Marcus bits. They're painful to read.

For me the crossroads Ironsides story was rather nice but the Kaeris story put me off Arcanists forever god it was boring.

Can't remember that one.

I was just flabbergasted by how much of a mary sue he comes off as in his story about fucking with the guild . A dozen trained men have guns pointed at him and have kill orders, but no one shoots cause he's a real cool impressive guy and he hasn't revealed his super cool final plan yet.

Oh, his story from Shifting Loyalties was fucking awful.

Thank God I'm not alone.

I'm rather liking the idea of taking Rougarou with Rotten Belles under new McMourning. pricey module but I think it could do some real damage.

Why? The Rougarou doesn't seem to add much.

The new grootslang seems like it's up McMourning's alley.

Ridiculous pouncing.

Some levi players already did it, ask them on forums how it went.

He does have pounce, but I'm not sure it's worth the 8ss.

That Sonnia box I ordered should come in tomorrow evening. If I go with a black and red scheme for my guild (similar to pictured Witchlings) should I pick a crazy color for the flames? Blue seems too popular.

I believe "witch fire" is described as green during the Ramos/Sonnia battle in Broken Promises, so you could try that.

I could go with green. I like green and red together, and I've done it multiple times in the past.
And every time I have I've gotten Christmas comments
But I was absolutely thinking Green.

>sammy with glowy
?
I've rarely heard anyone say anything good about the points:effect economy of Sammy LaCroix.
What do you need her so badly for?

Arcane Reservoir sonnnnn.

Arcanist checking in.
Ramos is boring in the books, on the table and as a model (pic related is his only good one).
Fuck 'im.

Out of Arcanists I actually rather enjoyed Sandeep's intro story. Between that and the hilarity of Kandara's lore, I have high hopes for him.

Even with arcade reservoir there's diminishing returns. Still they're a solid 2-4 of imo.

They really shine with Lynch.

>Fuck 'im.
I really hope the time in prison makes for since interesting character development.

>Rail Workers
I only ever take two, maximum, and they provide a bit of zoning early-turn and card-bleed mid-turn as much as they do actual damage output.
Nobody wants to stroll into a potential 10 damage, or having to cheat two defensive flips.
I'll bet that they are borderline broken for that cost with the bouncing ace though.

>the hilarity of Kandara's lore
Yup, that crew actually turned out a lot more interestingly than anticipated.

I'm kind of surprised how interesting Sonnia's lore has been as I'm going through the books. Wyrd's own little description paints her as a psycho inquisitor out of 40k, but in action despite her horrific acts against arcanists she's remarkably self-sacrificing for the public good and whatnot. She's more nuanced than I was expecting, I guess is what I'm saying.

Yellowy green always looks more magical than green green. Fire with a blue base, but then more yellow/orange towards the ends so it kind of looks like burning gas is awesome.

They usually do a pretty good job of making their characters nuanced.

A shame about Kaeris

I haven't read up on her yet, what's the problem with her?

She's just hired muscle. I don't think there's anything interesting about her, really. At least they *try* to give Ironsides depth.

I guess that's the consequence of having so many names in a relatively young game. I certainly prefer building up characters slowly to shoving twelve of them into every single story and have them each do and say one relevant thing, just to promote their miniatures. Also known as the Gatewatch Approach

They've streched the matters or over 8 years of fluff.

I think they could probably benefit from some more background stuff though. Like books set in the universe Warhammer style.

I believe that is what the RPG material generally does. TTB 2E and Into the Bayou did a lot to highlight the background in Malifaux's setting. And we will undoubtedly get more earthside fluff when TOS hits.

Sammy needs the glowy upgrade because wong needs to take gremlin luck for his lightning. Since they are both limited Sammy is a must take for Wong.

Can't argue on that one.

Heard lots of stuff about Ironsides with her new upgrades. In one podcast they alluded to some strong synergy with Amina Naidu as well. Is it "just" using her Summons to lure things into the Challenge aura with the Liability trigger? Or is there more going on?
Also, what does your Ironsides crew look like besides Amina and Oxford Mages? Johan I assume?

I don't think the Oxfordians provide any real synergy other than coming in her box.

I don't know how people run her now, but she used to be used as a tarpit, engaging as much of the enemy crew as possible while your scheme runners did their thing. I'd be interested to see how she runs now that she's more of a beater.

Putting Warding Runes on Ironsides making her immune to condition and giving her Regeneration 1 seems soooo good though. And if you buy two mages, you might as well buy the third and get the discount.

Hows that work? I thought Warding runes only gave counterspell.

The mages have upgrades that grant additional benefits to models that have warding runes equipped.

Ah, I missed that bit. I assumed they'd be in the general upgrades.

It does sound neat. I'm not sure if it's 15 points worth of neat.

>wong needs to take gremlin luck for his lightning
I've never heard that before.
Taking Sammy just to fit both in seems very steep.

M&SU for Hand Picked Men is pretty beefy with three of them Furious Casting, Ironsides holding the line and The Captain keeping everyone unengaged.

Only reason to not take gremlin luck is because you think opponent is going Von Schill. It's good for every flip except damage so you get augmented healing, soulstone damage reduction, shooting into engagement, flip card for ___ effects.

Fifteen (actually 16ss) gives you immunity to enemy conditions, regenerate and +flips to Df against the enemy Master onIronsides, AND three models Furious Casting their Elemental Bolts that can Push, Slow, ignore Armour or give Burning, all at 10" range.

Withe the exta upgrade to give them an extra point of pseudo-armour and drop their price as a trio, I think they are well worth it in holdin-the-centre strate when you can set them up and lay down a killzone.

Boy, Hoffman's "Day at the Races" story gets pretty ugly.

Yeah buddy, that's some grim steampunk fantasy going on.
What an awfully bad man that the good old Guild brought to justice.

Arcanist here
Guild are losers

Arcanist here.
Satire gets you less locked up than shouting in the streets, comrade.

That's why I'm buying a small guild crew
and I'm going to lose every game with them

That's some high level keikaku

Anyone else here joined the Iron Painter 2017?

I've just started my Round 1. Gonna do a Bandersnatch for the OSL theme

That's what happens when you fuck with Malifaux's premiere crime family, bud.
That's right, the Arcanist mob.
The best criminal game going, bar none.

I have Lucius and Hoffman, both crew boxes, plus Guild Riflemen.
What's my next pick up to expand?

I'd like to play Lucius fairly straight'n'narrow as far as Guildy stuff goes.

Currently my Lucius crew is looking like it'll be Hoffman's box plus Dashel and Riflemen.

Hoffman looks very similar, but with Howard Langston and/or Joss.
Which is better?
Both?

Randomly: Do we know how literal the Nephilim addressing Lilith as "mother" is? Is it just a respectful title for her station, or are some proportion of the Nephilim actually her progeny?

I'm pretty sure it's the station.

Austringers seem like the next pick.

We don't know a lot about the nephilim life cycle, other that they can be forced to grow quickly with blood and magic.

I think it might be literal given that there's an ability in game that lets you spawn terror tots in game when something dies from Black blood. Or as literal as you can get given the evidence we seen for how they reproduce.

How's the meta around your area? Around here, literally nobody plays Arcanists or Gremlins, everything else is pretty even.

A lot of Arcanists/Gremlins/Ressers, some Neverborn and Outcast and no Guild and only me playing TT. Not exactly balanced though I'm getting good work out of Kang.

Outcasts are the never played faction around here. Best in faction is never a toss up because there is always just one guy who plays them. Gremlins are actually quite popular, as they are pretty strong overall.

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/131729-wave-5-redefining-our-meta/

Might prove to be an interesting/useful conversation.

We are lawless here for one newbie is the only guild player

My meta is wacky as shit. Of the currently active players *we're all Ressers*. One guy's dabbling in Outcasts now via Tara, and another is Yan Lo-ing into 10T. It makes for some really odd games.

I am finally going to give Lynch a shot, and I have a couple of questions. With Sensei Yu mulliganing, would Ace in the Hole let me discard aces and just get them back when he mulligans? Should I have Jakob activate last so I can draw cards from Woke up With a Hand, or would I better served by having him activate earlier to hand out brilliance?

Right now I am looking at a crew made up of Lynch with Rising Sun and Woke up With a Hand, Huggy with Addict and maybe Recalled Training, a pair of illuminated, the Lone Swordsman with recalled training, Sensei Yu with Wandering River, and a TT Bro or two if I have room. Ideally I would be going for a really killy crew, but it is not something that I am sure I could pull off.

No, the aces aren't discarded, they get reshuffled back into the deck. You shouldn't ever really need Lynch to set up brilliance except to bring the Hungering Darkness back.

Yu clearly states it sends them back to the deck instead, so no. It's there specifically to avoid this interaction.

Lynch should be starting last whenever you can, though if your opponent is counting on that an early start Lynch can be quite devastating. If you're playing TT you shouldn't center your crew around Brilliance and see it as more of a happy accident. Gwyneth definitely helps but TT's thing of having a lot of +flips often allows you to get 10~ish card hands which tend to allow a lot more versatility. Also stick Addict on Lynch. There's a fair chance Huggy will be burried half the time. Though you might want to stick Death Contract on Huggy. As S&S has lately pointed out, whenever Huggy would die he doesn't die but the Death Contract effect triggers nonetheless.

Some other fun interactions you might enjoy; Obeying units into the Terrifying aura of an Illuminated lets you discard an ace for the horror duel to make them automatically fail them and gain the card back. Attacks like Flurry or Rapid Fire are now free. With the Obsidian Statue, Lynch's Ca8 duel now does a min of 3 damage and Huggy can bump his damage track up to 5/6/8.

Thanks for the advice.
That actually sounds pretty neat. Is defensive free as well for that matter? I haven't used Death Contract before but that may be worth a shot. Is Brilliance in TT just worse than it is in Neverborn, or is it avoided more because focusing on +flips and having good cards is better?

>Austringers
Lucius already hands out AP, pushes and interacts.
The attack isn't that good, is it?

Enough Arcanists that basically all of us have splintered into secondary factions so that we don't have to play blue on blue every week.

Looks interesting, thanks.