dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Official Discord
discord.gg/Wjs77ZM

>Previous thread:

Are you playing or running Tomb of Annihilation any time soon? If you are playing, who is your character? If you are running, what are you must excited for your players to do?

Other urls found in this thread:

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/17308/roleplaying-games/hexcrawl
drive.google.com/file/d/0B8XAiXpOfz9cMWt1RTBicmpmUDg/view
discord.gg/Wjs77ZM
media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA5_VariantRules.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Half-Orc Barb, Totem of the Bear

3 level dip into Long Death Monk if you're feeling frisky.

Repost since sudden new thread:

One of my players wants to try his hand at DMing, which is a welcome change. I am a bit worried he will try to make things a lot deadlier than the norm, though.

Any suggestions for an "unkillable" character build? I was thinking maybe Half-Orc Barb going for Bear bonuses mainly. Or some kind of Paladin.

I like it.

Paladin will make it a fair bit harder for him to kill your party, BarBEARian will make it a great deal harder for him to kill you.

I'm planning to run ToA as a DM, haven't read it yet but I'm hyped for the whole jungle feeling and the hex crawling mechanic in it.

new characters start at level 1 or level 3?
discuss.

You didn't read whatsoever, did you?

3 if people are familiar with the game and actually have a fucking character concept. 1 if not.

im not the user who was asking for a new thread, but i also did not really pay attention to where the thread was beyond the fact that it wasnt getting bumped anymore.

oops, i guess. oh well.

new thread when

What's the deal with flanking? My players want advantage if more than one attacks the same creature at once. With no AoO invoked from entering a creature's space this seems a little overpowered to me. Any tips or am I just being a moaner here?

Being strictly better than the dagger. That type of weapon is ok but only if it's martial.

kek

You're perfectly within your rights to say "no." Advantage is very powerful and it's intentionally not granted by flanking (in the default rules).

I thought as much. Maybe they won't gripe as much if I point out that monsters don't get it either...

It's not a rule in 5e. It was in earlier editions so they're probably just stuck in those.

However, it is an optional rule in the DMG p. 251:

OPTIONAL RULE : FLANKING
If you regularly use miniatures, flanking gives
combatants a simple way to gain advantage on attack
rolls against a common enemy.
A creature can't flank an enemy that it can't see. A
creature also can't flank while it is incapacitated. A
Large or larger creature is flanking as long as at least
one square or hex of its space qualifies for flanking.
Flanking on Squares. When a creature and at
least one of its allies are adjacent to an enemy and on
opposite sides or corners of the enemy's space, they
flank that enemy, and each of them has advantage on
melee attack rolls against that enemy.
When in doubt about whether two creatures flank
an enemy on a grid, trace an imaginary line between
the centers of the creatures' spaces. If the line passes
through opposite sides or corners of the enemy's space,
the enemy is flanked.

With how hard monsters hit in 5e, I see no real reason to disallow flanking. Maybe use the facing thing and only give advantage to people in the back/on the sides.

If they can do it to NPCs, then they can do it to back to the players.

For what it's worth I would prefer not to run a game with flanking. Partially because it's really strong but it also takes away from abilities of other characters. If anyone can get advantage from an adjacent player I would feel bad for the rogue in the party since that's kind of their "thing".

Or teach them the hard way that rules work both ways, and if you get advantage on flanking, the enemies do to
After they get swarmed by advantage gobbos they'll notice that was a bad idea

For those playing on a grid of some kind, do you allow diagonal movement/attacks? My DM said he believed it wasn't allowed but is running with it anyway, as the idea of everyone rigidly moving around didn't sit right with him.

Make pact tactics a feat players can take.

What statblock should I use for Goatmen?

How fast do your characters level up? I'm playing in my second campaign and haven't seen anyone go above level 7. I'm fine with that, but I know there's a lot more abilities and such that we have never experienced.
Should all campaigns reach high levels?

Best idea I've heard so far

Good point, rules are rules

I tend to think you can attack through diagonals.

I like the movement variant where the first diagonal movement is 5', the second is 10', then 5' again, etc so the players can't travel insane distances by just doing diagonal movement.

>BarBEARian
>not Bugbear werebear bear druid bearbearian

Mountain Dwarf Pact of the Blade Warlock. Stack CON.

We allow only every other square to be a diagonal move.

Yeah, if you have a non reach weapon you can attack any of the 8 squares surrounding the one you're on. With a reach weapon you can attack anything in those 8 squares, plus the next box of squares around thouse

Diagonal movement/attacks are allowed in the actual rules.

If your DM has an issue with it, he can use 3.5's diagonal rules instead, where every other diagonal square counts double. (So one diagonal square is still 5ft, but two is 15ft.)

What a time to be alive

You should just use a streamlined version of this for hexcrawls.

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/17308/roleplaying-games/hexcrawl

I still use the travel pace rules from 5e and I only deal with full speed and half speed.

Cheers boyos.

5e has an interesting variable progression in levels where early levels you level up quick, then it slows down around mid levels, then speeds up again at high level. I thought it was weird at first but it does give the game an interesting flow.

That said nothing wrong with milestone gaming and leveling up people after completion of plot points or significant sessions

>level 7
>campaign has lasted 2.75 yrs
>2.5 levels per year
try to play biweekly but due to real life there are sometimes several month gaps between sessions

Probably a Gnoll. If it has a bite, make it a gore attack that can knockback on a failed strength save.

Rogues would enjoy getting advantage as much as the next person. It won't enable more crits, but it will give them a better chance to land their one chance.

For reference:

Pick my Paladin oath for me and justify why it's the most interesting choice.

Ancients. Fight for nature, but not terrible like a PHB ranger

I'm a new DM, with a group of new players. There is a player in my group who multi-classed two homebrew classes; Witch Hunter and Dragon Slayer. Adding insult to injury he didn't prepare at all, and what he did know was overpowered stuff. So we said, look, find a different, simpler class and now he's a half-devil (specifically not a tiefling however) hellblazer.

It's mostly a difficulty of familiarity. When he played the dragon slayer class, he reeled off spells that were overpowered and because they are technically in the list I suppose he could very well use them but I think the difficulty there is obvious. Essentially he is asking a new DM to work without any real rule guides; he wants to be a half-devil but there's no race information for me or him to look over, not to mention how difficult it's going to be for him in cities and stuff.

What should I do to control this situation?

What the actual fuck is a hellblazer?
Tell him to stop playing homebrew stuff. As a new DM, you're not equipped to judge it and have every right to disallow it. If he refuses, fucking boot him. He's being an awful player and he knows it.

Either talk to him about that will be difficult for you as a DM or put the work in to make it happen. Generally communication is the best solution though.

Ban homebrew until you're comfortable enough to evaluate and specifically allow certain pieces of homebrew in your game.

Right now my rule is if we don't have the book at the table, it's not an option for the player, even if it's official material. The one exception is the revised ranger.

>Ban homebrew
fixed that for you.

First time I ran 5e I made attacks work only in vertical and horizontal directions, but in my current campaign one of my players raised that question, and I just said fuck it, diagonals are allowed on attacks, but moving still works on euclidean measuring of distances, and nobody is complaining.

Campaign has lasted for about 10 months and the party is going to hit level 14 next game. Averages to about one level per three sessions.

Literally this. As a GM, you're going to have to put your foot down and basically disallow your players from bringing homebrew stuff to the table that you haven't looked at and approved or come up with yourself.

Honestly, since you're still learning the system and fairly new, I'd disallow any and all homebrew content that you didn't come up with yourself. Most GMs do that, actually.

Ancients kinda like said but also bring joy to the hearts of others around you.

Players defeated a Beholder, got some big "plot" related stuff but have chosen to ignore it in favor of finding a fuck ton of magic items and wealth in an ancient ruined landscape to bring home to host a grand tournament.

Now, seeing as I did not plan this, I sorta just went with the flow. They ran into some Sirens who were upset that some weird creatures took their favorite play thing (a Deck of Illusions) away. They promised to give the players vast rewards if they get it back.

What rewards could an ancient tribe of Lake Sirens give a party of level 8's, seeing as I'm now changing the course of this campaign.

I feel like I should multiclass with Bard then

Don't allow homebrew as a new DM. Hell, don't even allow multiclassing to start with. And ESPECIALLY don't allow multiclassing between different homebrews.

>Dragons Slayer
Let me guess was it the one from dandwiki? Always ask where a player got a homebrew from, if they say that site pretend to read it then say "no". Also like others have said, don't allow homebrew until you're more comfortable with the game.

>who multi-classed two homebrew classes
stop right there. No homebrew, ever. Never homebrew your own things most people are simply really bad at it, much better to reskin things or swap powers, but NEVER let your players bring in homebrew. NEVER LET YOUR PLAYERS BRING IN HOMEBREW

So in LMOP there is a interesting quest where the PCs get 3 health potions as return, since I found the rewards kinda lack luster and thought they wouldn't do it otherwise I just told them they would get magic items.
How much of an ass am I, since health potions are magic items sort of but they will definitely expect more?

Devotion, ancients is for fucking hippies and vengeance is too grim

Fight for truth justice and the American way. Don't just fight to get rid of evil, fight for the IDEAL of a greater good, for a society of happiness and personal freedom within the construct of a benevolent society. Sure, such an ideal isn't realistic, but you can recognize that an ideal is unrealistic and still fight to try and defend it as best as you can.

Fighting AGAINST things is for cynics and opportunists. You're a Paladin. Fight FOR good.

>That said nothing wrong with milestone gaming and leveling up people after completion of plot points or significant sessions
This has always been the vastly superior option IMO. Removes needless book keeping. And XP progression is dumb at times
>Hey, I know you just fufilled your promise and slew the dragon that's been burning your village and abducting your maidens, but you're a few XP short of a level. Go fight like 10 orcs and you should be good.

>and the American way
you sure you don't mean Oath of Conquest Paladin?

Just give flanking a +1 to hit. Who gives a fuck about advantage its a dumb rule anyway
>barb is reckless attacking
>battlemaster uses maneuver to give him advantage
>has no effect because 5e is marketed to stupid normies and math is hard.

You can but it isn't necessary, I kinda misremembered the wording, but the oath is:
Kindle the Light. Through your acts o f mercy, kindness, and forgiveness, kindle the light of hope in the world, beating back despair.
Shelter the Light. Where there is good, beauty, love, and laughter in the world, stand against the wickedness that would swallow it. Where life flourishes, stand against the forces that would render it barren.
Preserve Your Own Light. Delight in song and laughter, in beauty and art. If you allow the light to die in your own heart, you can’t preserve it in the world.
Be the Light. Be a glorious beacon for all who live in despair. Let the light o f your joy and courage shine forth
in all your deeds.
To me while true you stand against the usual darkness and such, you're a much more jovial person and would encourage such in others. My next character is actually a dex based OoA/Bard styled after the three musketeers

No need. Bards aren't necessarily about bringing joy to anyone. Plus, you don't need bard mechanics to get that kind of character feel.
I played an Ancients paladin with the performer background. Bro just wanted to party and get people to have a good time and feel good about themselves. Turned out to be one of the most interesting characters I've played.
If, however, you're just looking for excuses to play a paladin/bard, you should just say so.
Is this extremely subtle bait?

What the fuck dude, Just tell him you won't allow homebrew.

The greater good

I think it might be funny if they feel betrayed and go all evil and attack the priest lady (if I'm thinking of the right quest). It'll be a test of their character.

Get out

>>>/pfg/

i was about to agree with you and then i remembered two weapon fighting in 3.5. now i have to clean up the vomit on my keyboard.

Kek, remember the 3.5 fighter?

Yeah, I was playing a human fighter who used gauntlets and sometimes two short swords.

Combat was a nightmare. our druid party member had a pet cheetah that could just trip something constantly so it made me viable

>>has no effect because 5e is marketed to stupid normies and math is hard.
why would the battlemaster waste dice on a maneuver that gave no benefit? Seems like the fighter is the stupid one, not the game designers.

Is there a mega for DMs Guild things?

Reposting since I fucked it up last time.

>Wealth By Level
>Level 1: Normal Starting Gold
>Level 2-20: You get a number of gold pieces equal to your experience points
>Use prices found here to buy items: drive.google.com/file/d/0B8XAiXpOfz9cMWt1RTBicmpmUDg/view

What do people think?

Breaks CR.

I had a greatsword and chainmail, it was fine until about level 5 when we all became sentient meat shields for the wizard.
Kind druids are best druids

>CR
>meaning literally anything

ideal wealth-by-level guide is pic related

What variant or house rules do you use for combat?

My game uses
> Disarm, Overrun Actions
> Players roll for defense (instead of DM rolling for attack)
> On crit, roll double dice and 1's count as max for that die
> Side Initative

Is there a good rule of thumb for amount of combatants in an encounter? I was planning on having a crew on crew pirate battle for my level 2 PCs but I'm, going to have to scrap it because the time between player turns is way too long.

I like the idea of potentially buying mahical items instead of being forced to stumble across every one. I get that the amount/types available should be VERY limited since the art of making them is lost, but surely some adventurers would sell them for cash and/or leave them to relatives who sell them for cash?

Surely this is bait O my brothers?

My DM wants to run it once we finish SKT, but that will probably be a long time. I'm hoping to play a Halfling Nature Cleric of Malar once we get to it.

The game designers are stupid for making it have no benefit.

For anything rarer than Common, I find it better to distribute magic items to characters as you see fit rather than letting them pick and choose, because most players will just load up on +1/2/3 weapons/armor than pick any of the interesting and flavorful magic items.

>D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread
Why is this included in the OP? Everyone already knows what 5th edition is. It's in the goddamn title.

>>/5eg/ Official Discord
>discord.gg/Wjs77ZM
Oh, I see. You're just fucking retarded.

What would be the bait part?

Not an argument. Keep sucking mearls cock.

>Players roll for defense (instead of DM rolling for attack)
What did he mean by this?

Boy having a -4/-16 to fucking hit when i suddenly pick up a second weapon sure is intuitive and fun.

Good system.

See: all

the fighter is stupid for not using his abilities that debuff the enemy through a mechanic other than granting advantage. Could have used Disarming attack, Goading attack, or Commander's Strike.

>For those playing on a grid of some kind, do you allow diagonal movement/attacks? My DM said he believed it wasn't allowed but is running with it anyway, as the idea of everyone rigidly moving around didn't sit right with him.

1square/hex=5ft. regardless of horizontal, diagonal, vertical, or combinations. I believe the DMG has an optional rule for diagonals being 5/10/20 etc.

> media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA5_VariantRules.pdf

I'd allow for uncommon. Using the sane magic item prices makes them fairly expensive, so you still can't load up. And everything is DM-approve first.

> People play the game differently than I do and I don't like it

I bet you let people auto-succeed on nat 20 skill checks don't you you filthy mongoloid?

> Player has chance to succeed
> Doesn't want to let them succeed
Why would you even let them roll if the task is impossible?

I'm starting to think that if I ever want to get an actual D&D game going I'll have to DM it myself since there is no one out there running any games.

I've only played two short campaigns so far, both homebrew and I'm shit scared at DMing myself, but I have no choice now.

What do I need in order to not be a terrible DM, outside of the manual...

>Barbarian wants to pick a complex lock with a soggy napkin
>NAT 20 BOIS!!!1!1!!

When did i say 3.5 was a good system? Only that 5e is bad, too. Being phobic of math because 3.5 existed is like never eating a cookie again cause you had too many one time and it gave you a wittle tummy ache.

Or he could have done what he wanted to instead of having his options limited by a shit system that wasted benefits for no reason. There is no good reason to have advantage disadvantage except "math is hard"

3.5 DID NOTHING WRONG