Alternative Systems to D&D for Standard Fantasy

While I typically have no issues running D&D at the table there are times I feel its just not the system I want to be running a game with. However most of my half-assed attempts at looking around online for an alternative to it tend to lead me to the typical Fantasy Heartbreaker.

So with an open mind, what are some suggestions for a Standard Fantasy RPG?

Fantasy Craft, Legend (Rule of Cool), Dungeon Crawl Classics, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Beyond the Wall, Old School Hack, Dungeonslayers, Apocalypse World: Fallen Empires, The Dark Eye.

The GURPS Dungeon Fantasy box set just came out. It's a slimmed down version of GURPS preconfigured for beer and pretzels style fantasy gaming. It's totally compatible with regular GURPS, it's just that they got rid of all the rules, gear, and options not relevant to the genre. Basically GURPS without all the options and GM prep work.

So far I've only seen GURPS players review it but everything I've heard is positive.

>Fantasy Craft

The only thing I've ever seen that I'd play, besides 3.5 or PF.

My entire point was to find a system that WASN'T D&D or one of its endless clones. Like I said while I don't mind running it sometimes its not the system best suited to what I'm doing.

>pissfinder
>a spiritual successor to anything but the broken mess that was 3.5
your image infuriates me with its retardation OP

Really the Image is a rough guide to the games I DON'T want recommended as I clearly already know about them and don't want to play them.

>5e
>successor to basic
lol no

I know the basics of GURPS, and I've been kinda curious about this set. Did they do anything to "re-balance" the game to be better-suited to D&D-style play?

Do you think you think you could run a party through a D&D dungeon or campaign book without too many problems?

Reign is pretty cool

I don't know what qualifies as "standard fantasy", but Barbarians of Lemuria is a pretty cool rules-light, Conan-style swords & sorcery game. I really like the way the professions are done, where, for instance, instead of having a bunch of separate skills to cover your thieving abilities, you just add your "thief" rank to any related task.

That pic.

Also, classicblunder.jpg

I love how everyone is thrashing on the picture instead of actually giving me game systems to run.

Not even like the picture is inaccurate.

>I love how everyone is thrashing on the picture instead of actually giving me game systems to run.
Hey, I suggested Barbarians of Lemuria before making fun of the pic. You might also want to check out something in the RuneQuest / BRP family, if a more down-to-earth skill-based game is your thing.

>Not even like the picture is inaccurate.
How is Pathfinder the spiritual successor to AD&D? What does Castles and Crusades have to do with Player's Option? How is 5e the spiritual successor of Basic? What the fuck is it even doing with Basic D&D, where BECMI's red box comes before B/X's Expert set? I mean, I can get kind of lumping them together as basically being the same game, but if that's what the image is trying to do, it fucked up the presentation.

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

You might have better luck if you get involved in a land war in Asia.

Well, what do you want from the game?

"Not D&D" covers a large swathe of games, and they all tend to have different focuses, even discounting the d20 versions.

I enjoyed playing !D&D in Savage Worlds, FATE/Accelerated and Strike!. Haven't played it yet, but would recommend Barbarians of Lemuria.

And I suggested systems that AREN'T D&D or one of its endless clones.

But as points out, maybe you should ask a more precise question.

Dungeon World.

No, really. If you don't mind narrativist systems, it's not dreadful. Handy for theatre kids who want to try ttrpg, or for grognards who need to try something new but can't handle the idea of a system that doesn't let them play a dwarf cleric.

Arrowflight 2e

I would second Dungeon World. I'm not going to try and proselytise it as some virtuous, life changing experience, but given what OP has said, it stands out because it is:
- Still a standard sort of generic mishmash fantasy setting
- Extremely easy to pick up. They really did a number making the game book weirdly laid out and difficult to fully comprehend, but given the game could be understood and played by a 5 year old there was only so much obfuscation they could manage.
- It's *different*. Like, coming straight out of DinDy you'll hit the things that you now suddenly can and cannot do like a brick wall in a car. It's quite an experience, even if you're just looking for a oneshot or a 3 session game or something.

This

And now thats more than enough systems for me to properly comb through, thank you all for that.

As far as Pathfinder being the "spiritual successor" to AD&D keep in mind that AD&D's thing is to be an overly convoluted clusterfuck of rules and player options. While 5e is more to the "heres what you get" kinda approach that Basic stuck to.

Also that picture is like the forbidden meme of TG at this point, I've never seen it posted and someone not gotten mad, but man it is what it is.

Seconding this, it's also pretty flexible in terms of which settings it can run

I love you

I would also recommend risus, but that would be just because I love risus.

No idea. When my box set arrives and I try it I'll be sure to post about it.

The main thing is that GURPS has more realistic lethality by default. There are options that make things more in line with d&d-style combat... if they use those options then yeah things feel more d&d-ish. Of course, the whole point of playing a different system is that the feel WILL change.

I think Dungeon World is the opposite of what OP wants, it's literally 'DnD feel but with different rules'.

Stuff OP might like:
Reign: gritty-ish fantasy with campaign management subsystems.
RQ6/Mythras: Like Reign but with %dice instead of d10s.
Fate Core: it's generic, it's free, it has a light version, and the 'running example' going through the corebook is for a generic fantasy game.
Shadow Of the Demon Lord: It's like a cross between Warhammer and DnD and takes some of the best bits of both. Has a really cool multiclassing system.

SotDL is everything 5e should have been (if you remove the edge);

>So with an open mind, what are some suggestions for a Standard Fantasy RPG?
WFRP 1E/2E, Harnmaster, Runequest, The Dark Eye, Dragon Age, HARP