Minor disappointments and pet peeves thread

Enough to bother you, not enough to actually complain about it at the table

>GM doesn't bother to learn the PCs' names unless they're super common or generic, regardless of how easy to remember or pronounce they are
>GM skips downtime that could be great for roleplaying
>GM doesn't let anyone describe their actions during combat, only their intentions (boils down to "i attempt to attack" instead of "i swing at his abdomen" because he believes they hold a mechanical value because they're called shots and should come with appropriate modifiers)

>GM allows us to set up ambush on bandits attacking travelling merchants at night.
>Plan & prep it for like an hour
>GM proceeds to have all the bandits avoid our alarms and traps

>mfw I learn PC names, call them by that name IC, actively encourage my players to bullshit during downtime, and let them attempt crazy stupid shit in combat but they're all too simple to treat it like anything other than world of warcraft
The military is awful for finding good games. I just want some clever players that can surprise me.

>One girl at the table brings incredibly spicy food as snacks to every game. It's bad enough that it will cause whoever sits next to her on either side to have their eyes water up.

I've always wanted a dm who could handle me. They always seem to be boiler plate mechanical, think role playing is all and only funny voices or play to one PC who's their irl friend.

I'm super creative and frankly a better dm than most of them but I can't stand to sit on that side of the table. I really need a dm that's as good or better than me at it and really wants to be there with good players.

>GM uses Ogham for a code
>GM doesn't know how it actually works and writes it back to front and upside down
>mfw

> be me
> horrible food allergies
> tranny who table flipped and opens the spot I took in the game come back after two months
> I explain about allergies, don't touch my dice if you've been eating, if I'm weird when you're passing papers or quest clues don't take it personally etc.
> she spends most session literally throwing the exact thing I'm allergic to at me laughing about it

I'm just lucky it's not anaphylactic, but I gave the dm a her or me after the session.

Fucking that guy's
Also what was it?

Faith and begorrah tas awful.

It's was a horrible hon of a pre op... Oh wait you meant the gluten, eg pretzel combos. The most minor trace gets me but I have to ingest it.

>Player makes a setting-deaf character that ends up completely out of place

Why would anyone play for months in a medieval fantasy setting and think "im gonna make a cowboy"

Not as bad as something that only needs skin contact but still a dick move

>GM skips downtime that could be great for roleplaying
This one gets me - one of my GMs is otherwise great, but is really quick to jump forwards to the next "exciting bit" (i.e. combat) rather than letting us do some in-party roleplaying.

>Dm presents maze we need to solve as part of a riddle.
>I was on Skype with him as he made them.
>fucking proud of ha maze.
>literally spent an hour doing them.
>huge piece of paper that should, at the end result in the drawing of the rune we need to draw on the ground to open lootroom.
>he is so proud of that maze.
>"guys good luck, with that super maze"
>we gather around the table, one entrance per character, everyone solves his side to the centre.
>begin
>a path is left open
>maze solved in one second.

I still remember the sadness in his eyes.

>making players solve a maze
What's next, throwing down a Sudoku puzzle?

>player 1 makes an alchemist PC
>player 2 gets an NPC Connection who is also an alchemist

>Alchemist PC does an alchemy roll
>player 2 says don't bother, that his NPC is better at alchemy

>people try to cheat during character creation by way of extra stat points or hiding feats; now I have to look at the character sheets of grown ass men to make sure they're playing fair
>players ignore their moment to shine/operate in their element and later complain that the game is all about other user; all while sitting on their phone from game start
>crosstalk starting and whenever I cut it out it's "dude, we're just hanging out; we can do other things than TTRPGs"; we deliberately set out today to play random TTRPG
>we should do things outside the game more, you're like a brother to me; fuck you I'm here to roll dice and be entertained
>hold on stop the game for a minute, everyone watch this video; everyone goes onto YouTube and watches some annoying video loud as fuck then talks about it like no one else saw it for 10 minutes

Sometimes I hate that my hobby is a social one; I just want to meet some good role players who have a focused attention on the game and don't operate under the pretense that we're gathering for anything but gaming night.

This sounds like WoD bullshit. A PC in a game I played in pulled that crap with a 5 dot retainer that they fluffed to be better than the group in all ways. Storyteller was letting her get away with it too until enough of us got fed up and pointed out the rules behind that merit

>I can never find sleeves that I like
>when I do I never sleeve the right deck
>when I double sleeve my decks, you can only fit two in a fatpack instead of three
My life is suffering.

It was an okay riddle, after all. Going wrong places in the maze triggered shit n'stuff.
But yeah, not something you want to spend an hour on and be super proud of.
But Dm is a kid in the heart. Heh.

>Watch game on Twitch to get better at DMing
>For the life of me can't tell who's speaking or whether it's the player or DM because everyone sounds the same over Roll20/Discord chat.

>PCs don't RP amongst themselves when I give them a quiet moment.
Come on guys, at least try to fill up the dead air while I think.

I recommend Roll4It
They have faces to go with the voices and everyone sounds different
But Daelric in swn is a shit player

>quiet moment
Oh, in my group that's what's known as Argument Time.

If the PCs aren't arguing over what the best course of action is, then it isn't a good adventure.

Only IC though
I despise OOC discussions if they use them to metagame

Eh, I don't have an issue with it so long as the characters are able to have a similar discussion in-universe. Not everyone is good at staying in character all the time.

>Player, who is a great guy, is a total normie who just wants to make Geralt from the Witcher (3 specifically) and characters from the Game of Thrones TV show.

>Additionally he doesn't really RP or talk in character, the most he's done was tell Eldar corsairs in our RT game to "suck this dick, take this load." when the RT was given the ultimatum to surrender in the face of an ambush.

He enjoys the game and isn't disruptive, I just wish he'd role play more.

>my character (5e moon druid) is entirely self-sufficient and gathers or crafts almost everything she needs herself
>when there's loot, she is happy to give her share away to the other party members
>last session, we came to a city where a fair is currently being held
>the fighter and I entered a brawling tournament (no magic, no equipment)
>through good rolls and mediocre opponents, I managed to survive until the finals and face the long-reigning champ, a hulking ogrillon pugilist
>random number god has truly blessed me this evening, and in a long, long series of unbelievably lucky contest rolls, I manage to pin my opponent (who's twice as tall and six times as massive) to the ground and twist and bend his leg in a hold until it snaps
>DM remarks that didn't even anticipate this outcome
>party wins a shitload of money through bets and splurges on new equipment
>for the first time, I pipe up that there's something I want to buy - the freedom of a caged, trained bear that is made to dance for the crowd
>immediately HUGE opposition from two players, groans and objections all around
>oh, but we sure need a shiny new sword for the wizard and other decorative trinkets, right

I've been let down.

You could introduce characters reminiscent of those in Witcher 3 and GOT, see if that catches his attention.

>player wants his PC's race/class to be a secret from other players
>not just a secret from the other PCs, the other PLAYERS

So of course when I say Go around the table and say your character's name race, class, background, and defining look, everyone introduces their character until we get to Chris who says None of you know who my character is, just like that. So I say that Chris is playing Vayne the Vampire Bard Noblewoman, Chris gets super butthurt that I "spoiled" his character.

I see nothing wrong with OOC plotting so long as they can manage a logical way to find that conclusion IC.

>Player uses nicknames for Pc's IC. My Pc is Gladrin Chillwind a highcourt mage. NOT Glad-ie or buddy

Oh my fuck what kind of self centered people do you play with

Just let him do his thing. If he's enjoying the game then you're doing good, guy

I feel for you my man. Fuck those egoistical pricks.

>Enough to bother you, not enough to actually complain about it at the table
> but I gave the dm a her or me after the session.
Did you even fucking READ.

I like a lot of systems. I like d20, Shadowrun, d10 with exploding die (l5r specifically), but my group only plays on saturdays. Life is suffering, because I have a great concept for a GoO Tomelock in 5e, along with a chivalerous sword and board fighter knight with massive flavour in Pathfinder, but nobody wants to play 5e, and I am currently busy with a short l5r campaign. I also want to play my rush-you-down-and-HM01-you cqc quad-cyberlimb Streetsam. I need to find some games online, but my pc is fucked beyond belief at the moment. God fucking dammit, I will find me a game!

After the session is not at the able user

>Friends think mythology is bullshit and dumb.
>Won't even entertain the idea of a setting that's not generic medieval european fantasy

Most European mythology is really interesting people just ignore all of the good stuff for dragons

One guy in my group did this to himself at one point. He made a Paladin, and then suddenly sprung on us 3 sessions in that his PC has a companion character arriving. Said companion was also a Paladin. His Paladin specifically, just copy/pasted. Oh, and they had about 10 bonus feats because ???.

This ended up not happening though because he never actually spoke to the DM about it. He just assumed the DM would be okay with him playing an extra character out of nowhere.

I hate having to OOC to explain my characters motivations, especially to the dm

>>crosstalk starting and whenever I cut it out it's "dude, we're just hanging out; we can do other things than TTRPGs"; we deliberately set out today to play random TTRPG
>>we should do things outside the game more, you're like a brother to me; fuck you I'm here to roll dice and be entertained
>>hold on stop the game for a minute, everyone watch this video; everyone goes onto YouTube and watches some annoying video loud as fuck then talks about it like no one else saw it for 10 minutes

I think you should stop playing with these guys and just hang out. Then get another group for gaming .

Try webcam's or "interview" people but select them on their voices. When I ran on roll20 I had
>French guy
>Nerd Voice guy
>Texas Boxer Guy
>normal yanki guy
You need a table bro
There should be a medium that chris should of said. But you where a dick

Kind of a dick move. Honestly I'd just let him roleplay a human, let the other players figure it out, but I also don't make players announce their race and stats, talk about an rp killer

What the fuck are you on about.

What the fuck are YOU on about!

dm plays companion, it's like a gift from the dmpc Gods of yore.

But seriously I hate companions and familiars that are just an extension of the player, magically know all their internal motivations and basically just serve as an extra set of hands and feats.

>You need a table bro
It is an offline game.

>dm plays companion, it's like a gift from the dmpc Gods of yore.
He was actually pretty insistent on getting to play the Paladin companion. The DM turning it down was part of, but not the only reason, he ended up eventually quitting the group. No one really minded to be honest.

Explain it to me like I'm not an autist.

At the table and After the session are different things

You can always GM and avoid all these problems.

This, my group doesn't even want an array of gods.
We only have a God of creation, God of neutrality, and god of destruction.
Heaven forbid you have an acolyte background (5e)

I think player character creation choices are open information. Basic courtesy to the other players, it's a social information game.

Definitely players should be able to seperated player knowledge from character kowledge

GM never picks up on any "subtleties" of in character discussions
>Playing a grumpy old fart honourable fighter sort
>In a cart with a group we know to all be ex-slaves
>They don't know we know
>One brings up a scar I recently got and how it happened
>Explain and ask for a story on one of theirs
>Get some "we bare many scars" reply
>Say "well as long as none are on your backs"
>Expect the implication of them being disciplined or accusing them of cowardice to take the discussion somewhere interesting
>GM just smiles and decides that was the end of that
Turns out they were all whipped to fuck and part of some ritual suicide thing to summon demons. Nice guys other than that though.

>DM gets really obsessed about his new campaign
>He's never been good with rules
>We've played for about a month and a character is out temporarily for story reasons, mine is taken over by a spirit
>Ask how it will work mechanically, offer to build the characters for him
>"No I got it"
>Game day and he's still trying to get the character sheets to work
>Hands me a sheet with 4 more levels on it, spells are all messed up
>Other player is 4 levels behind
>I spend an hour remaking my sheet, asking him what to do with every stat
>In combat we find out the other player's cleric has eldritch blast somehow
>DM thinks he can spend spell slots to cast eldritch blast at a higher level
>The only two times the DM has played with us before he had played a warlock

I still don't understand. I talked to the dm after the game. What she was doing was literally assult but I didn't think it was worth setting off what was clearly a psycho player looking for an altercation during the session. I'm a newer player, the rest of the group seemed happy to have her back, and I didn't want to be a whiny little swj bitch- I made my allergies clear already, she fucking knew what she was doing, there wasn't any reason to get butthurt over it, but it wasn't a situation I was going to put myself in again. What I don't get is Why the fucking hell are you so bent the fuck out of shape over this? What the fuck does reading have to do with it, I fucking wrote it, it happened to me, seriously what the fuck are you mad about you fucking autismal basement dwelling faggot?

I would have slapped her.

Yeah basically what I was talking about

Sure you would

This is one of those things that you just need to bring up at the table and get her to fucking stop
Allergies are one thing you really shouldn't fuck around with even if their mild as repeated exposure to an allergen can worsen allergies

This. It nips so many tedious problems in the bud.
>hey, I'm planning on playing a dickass thief who steals from the party. Does anyone mind?
>hey, I kind of think the villain has a point, anyone mind if I make my character a secret traitor?
>hey, I know you're playing an elf, but I wanted to play a dwarf who hates elves. Do you mind if my character picks fights with yours?
And so on.

The traitor one I don't mind once they go for the long con and make it possible for the other players to find out

Yeah that's totally different from making all players read their character sheets first thing first session.

fat cat

A thoroughly-loved cat

Just more of him to pet

I am anaphylactic, and I am fucking livid on your behalf.

I've physically thrown a guy out of my house before because he kept 'pretending' to put nuts in my brother's pretzel bowl (bro is also anaphylactic).

Couldn't he just say there was a Wall of Force there or something?

You need to introduce the characters formally at least at the very beginning, this is a critical first impression not only to the players but for the characters. It allows everyone a clear mental picture of who all is in the group and what kind of people they look like, what dynamic the group has. Once it's lost then it spirals into the players realizing halfway through the dungeon that their characters have never spoken to each other and they have zero in-world rationale for working together.

>You need to introduce the characters formally at least at the very beginning, this is a critical first impression not only to the players but for the characters. It allows everyone a clear mental picture of who all is in the group and what kind of people they look like, what dynamic the group has. Once it's lost then it spirals into the players realizing halfway through the dungeon that their characters have never spoken to each other and they have zero in-world rationale for working together.

Absolutely zero disagreement on this. However FORCING THE PLAYERS TO READ RACE CLASS AND GENDER FROM THE PC SHEET IS NOT THIS.

>>we should do things outside the game more, you're like a brother to me; fuck you I'm here to roll dice and be entertained
I don't see how this is a problem, I'd love it if the people I played with wanted to be actual friends. Why would you game with people you wouldn't want to do other things with?

Why would my friends agree to come over and play TTRPGs if they're not going to actually participate and would rather do other things? I wouldn't mind if they would be straight-forward about it.
(Not that user btw)

Why not? It worked out fine for everyone else, it's a chance to debut their PC for everyone and esp for the me the DM to note down who all the party is. Only the unreasonable guy had a fit about it.

How do you handle it.

Pretty sure that user was sperging out over your story being in a "minor disappointments and pet peeves" thread. Someone throwing a dangerous allergen into your face continuously is a bit more serious than that.

>sword and board fighter knight
>in Pathfinder
why would you do this to yourself

Same here. I can never find any people who wants to play dnd 5e. Whenever I suggest it I get shit like
>have you tried not playing dnd xD
>Too many rules, it's not fit for real roleplaying
>Too generic
>But I want to play this rules-light homebrew

>Everyone says my character's name wrong, despite only having heard it out loud.

Just write it down phonetically!

Can you post it? Or ask him etc

>DM cannot keep our names straight, seemingly because they both start with the same consonant.

>the freedom of a caged, trained bear that is made to dance for the crowd

To keep or to let loose? The first would be pretty dumb and groan worthy because I'd feel as if you'd try to make this bear come into certain situations with things like "I roll his performance to distract the bandit gatekeeper XDD" crap, or some other example that would throw a lolsoomgrandumb moment into an otherwise serious moment. If it's the latter it's still dumb since it's a wild animal, bears are very territorial, and without the fallback of cause magic" would eventually kill someone and be put down.

But of course I've never seen how you rp, how the rest of you play, or even the usual tone of the campaign you're talking about so... Meh.

Because endless roleplay opportunities and I'm absolutely in love with the character (no homo). Sure, the wizard or sorceror can just fling a spell or two to obliterate enemies, but I'll be the one taking the hits. I'm the one on the frontlines, giving the enemies something to hit, keeping them away from my companions. Yes, the wizard can power himself up, but at the end of the day, he's just an old man. I'll be a man in my prime, and while I might trudge along and grow cold and bitter with resentment, at least I grow as a character. Or I can try and be the better sum of my parts, as ridiculos as that might sound. Besides, I'm going to take Craft Cooking for funsies, and incorporate into my character. Nothing tastes better after a hunt than freshly grilled boar! What, no, you dumb wizard, put away your spellbook. We're eating this wildstyle!
I was also very inspired by pic related, minus the muteness.

Right, right?? It's so dumb! 5e has some flaws, but I'm really in it for the roleplaying now. I want to play a character who genuinely wants to give and recieve help, not just score the highest numbers (an inherent flaw of d20 systems, I'll admit). I hope we both find satisfying games soon, user.

While it's a lot less excusable for a DM, remembering character names can be hell for some people. If you are like me and can't remember names for shit then it becomes even worse when the DM introduces 5 new NPCs at once and the players stupid little fantasy names are made from nothing but consonants. One of the most frustrating parts about roleplaying for me.

Thanks, man. Good luck finding a game!

>Doesn't have his party run into a Sphinx who forces them to solve Sudoku puzzles on pain of death

Yeah, on the other hand: "don't hand me anything if you've touched gluten" for an allergy that triggers when ingested, would've made me roll my eyes something dreadful.

>be DM
>players keep calling others by their real names
>attempt to call them by their character names and immerse into the story
>never works, end up calling them by their real names as well

I tried user.

>I'm going to take Craft Cooking for funsies, and incorporate into my character.
I'm really glad 5e changed this with giving RP skills different importance from adventuring skills. It's nice being able to have a character who is actually good at things they did in their backstory via tool proficiencies without the rest of my group going "Jeez, user, are you sure you want to spend your two skill points on a profession skill? You'll be fucking over your build."

It's actually a serious thing. I've worked at a diet shop and we had to keep the stuff for people with celiac's way the fuck away from anything with gluten because residual traces are enough to cause some serious reactions.

This kind of naturally became thing because I kept on asking if it was a called shot or not and we realized the clunkiness of being super specific with your attacks.

I guess, but not every class or background gives you tool proficiencies, IIRC. I might also be really, really wrong.

>gm always treats my characters as joke ones, even if my character can speak from a position of authority like being a licensed surgeon discussing an operation, and everything my characters try to do story wise ends up failing, but everyone else can complete their goals just fine

My fault for being upset that my house got destroyed three times, I guess

It gets on the dice. They handle the dice. They go to eat something -> traces of gluten goes into their system and they suffer.

All because you wanted to fondle their dice.

Yeah, I get it. He's a genetic mistake.

You're on Veeky Forums, user.

The city is situated at the sparsely populated borderlands of the local kingdom. Most of it consists of hills, forests, some dwarf outposts, the occasional ruin and nomadic orc territory (which she is friends with). It's otherwise full of raiding goblinoids and wild animals.
My character has a a particular fondness for bears because of her backstory - Awakened Bear as surrogate mother - so this is basically slavery to her. She'd have let it loose in the hills. I'd have tried to communicate (via Speak with Animals and Animal Friendship) to keep away from humans as far as possible, and maybe try to teach it basic bear skills should it have never learned or forgotten normal behaviour in captivity. But not to keep as a pet.

The tone of the campaign is, I'd say, RP-heavy and "realistically dramatic and serious", as much as can be expected from a bunch of know-nothing teenagers with magical training that started out to make a name for themselves. We're still processing having killed humans in self-defense, but also enjoy the afterglow of gratitude and spoils of adventure.

So if the freed bear caused some havoc in the future, that's not something we'd just gloss over, but it's still the decision she'd make now.