MtG Ixalan Draft Simulation

So, Veeky Forums. What's a good first pick?

the rare. duh.

Either the boat or the mana dork. But I'm leaning towards the boat since you need dinosaurs to make the dork any good.

Drover of the Mighty

Contract Killing or Raptor Companion. A distant third place to the boat.

This is a brutally bad pack. Contract Killing is decent removal, the dinosaur is good aggro.

Killing is the only card in the pack that has no chance to wheel, so that is my pick.

Drover of the Mighty it is.

Contract killing is unconditional removal for a net cost of 3 mana.

Hunters or caller to stick with dinos I'd say.

Yeah i would have first picked Drover too

Storm Fleet Arsonist. Beeg creature and a removal.

Caller

You're retarded now you're locked into picking dinosaurs

Never show up to draft night IRL

I'm just going with what the majority says.

Speaking of which, second pick was Kinjalli's Caller.

boat or raptor

In retrospect, I think we did fuck up hard by not going for Black. Too late now though.

I'd say to go for the Dreadnought. It's a safe enough pick and lets us put off going 3 color until we actually have the dinos for it.

Should've picked the arsonist imo. The Drover is good even without dinosaurs and red offers more good dinos than white.
this one, Dusk Legion Dreadnought / boat.

>pick one card
>immediately locked into that card's archetype

Lots of people jumping on the Dreadnought, so I'll pick that right now.

Bonded Horncrest.
You really should've picked the Arsonist. Told ya.

Rummaging Goblin

One of the dinos here. Leaning towards whiptail to take out small flyers.

Arsonist beats out Sun-Crowned by a tiny margin based on CMC alone. Both will be difficult to deal with beaters that have useful effects. The format looks slow, but not THAT slow, so lower CMC wins here.

Frenzied Raptor.

Bonded Horncrest, Rummaging Goblin or Grazing Whiptail. Leaning towards Horncrest due to the "one of the dinos" comments.

Any other suggestions?

Jesus christ, why would you ever pass a looter in limited.

Raptor Companion.

He's cute.

Ask and .

>called rummage loot

FPBP.

>locked into dinos
>ignoring the fact that it is a mana dork
>ignoring the fact that you might pick up some Dino's later because they fill up 3 colors

Bonded Horncrest, after no further suggestions.

Hello ramp. Blossom Dryad.

People are either idiots or don't read cards.

This. It isn't looting. It is still good, but less so.

Dryad, two pieces of decent green fixing. I would prioritize another green card next pack.

Shaper for some draw since it looks like we be going creatures.

Blossom Dryad it is.

Sun crown

Take whatever, nothing's good.

Boy, aren't you a drafting extraordinaire?

Sun-Crowned Hunters seems correct.

The Suncrowned hunters. We're,already going Red and we could use more big stuff to ramp into

Sun-Crowned Hunters it is.

Dryad or raptors

Thrash of Raptors or Colossal Dreadmaw. Maybe the Dryad again.

sure strike, need them combat tricks

I'd say another Dryad or Raptors. We may be able to pick up more big dinos later

Colossal Dreadmaw for big bomb

Blossom Dryad, Thrash of Raptors or Colossal Dreadmaw.

Next post will be the deciding one.

Dryad

That's a second Blossom Dryad then.

And uh, you can potentially get a third, if you want to.

keep them dryads coming.

Canopy

Please don't say you're using draftsim with a tribal set
Dryad

yup, dryad it will be, unless some daredevils think pushing it to naya is a good plan.

Okay, that's the third Blossom Dryad.

Canopy for sideboard. This is the place we want q card like that

Sun-crowned hunters

Keepers is a two drop with a late payoff in our ramp deck

another two keepers are coming around, picking this one over the sun-crowned is stupid.

Crown

Sun-Crowned Hunters it is.

Well, we probably want to go with the White dino based on what we have. Not the best selection, but it's a big butt and activates our other cards at least

Queen's companion, don't want our opponents to spawn easy chumpblockers

This

That's two for Queen's Commission so I'll just grab that.

Gilded sentinel, seems like the assumption that the other keepers would wheel was wrong in hindsight.

Fair enough. Sentinel seems like a decent choice here. Helps avoid getting screwed if we're missing a color

It's a tossup between the bigass dino and the tokens. This looks like a slow tribal format and as there's not a whole lot of direct removal that can deal with a 1/7 dino besides Vanquish and WtP, I'm inclined to pick that, but on the other hand two 1/1 lifelink chump blockers can really put you ahead in a stalled board state.

This.

Gilded Sentinel picked.

Should I assume you'll go for Grazing Whiptail on this one?

Remember peeps, we have only drafted one real card that cares about dino's.

It's actually a great pick this late

Yeah, seems reasonable

True, but we do have a lot of ramp. I think right now our goal should be to stick to WRG, get some removal, and focus on generally finding good spells of higher cmc

I think we should stick with RG and only get W when the cards are good enough. Going 3 color is a huge liability in limited

ai doesnt pick very well. i tried drafting and it passed a dual land first pass. most people pick up duals unless they absolutely need a card that wont get passed by. also counter picking good off color things so other people wont get them but thats only a thing if your playing.

Fair point. I think we could manage it with how many mana dorks we got, although we also don't have that much White anyway. Could leave that as a sideboard option.

The big thing right now is removal and bombs of our own. Right now we just have Ramp and some meaty dinos

Bots can't do money drafting.

There is a point where two drops are snapped up. We will get big stupid common dinosaurs. But two drops are a premium.

but its a dual land in your first pack. usually people gravitate towards those colors unless other people snatch them up. i drafted 2 packs of hour with 1 of almondcat, and i ended up doing crappy bw zombies because everyone was taking all the other colors goodstuffs. i got 4th thou.

So that's Grazing Whiptail.

And I'll assume this pick is Shapers' Sanctuary?

yep

Yea. Nice for a second-last pick

raptors for sure

Shapers' Sanctuary it is. Last pick was Ritual of Rejuvenation.

These are your picks so far. I'll post the next selection in a moment.

whack

drover is hands down the best pick

So, what's your pick? I can make a guess but it's up to you guys.

Ripjaw for sure.

Ripjaw seems pretty good

Rip jaw

Ripjaw Raptor has been picked. Now for something harder.

How is this harder? Firecannot Blast windmill slam.

treasure map seems like it would work well here.

I think we really do need Firecannon here. Our removal is really lacking, but some of those Green options are tempting.

i'm actually now seconding that firecannon blast

Firecannon

Are counterspells a top pick in draft?

Firecannon Blast has been taken.

Next pick?

Tilonalli's knight or brazen buccaneers

I feel like we want Armasaur if we're still including White. Otherwise Slice in Twain might help solve problems.

Legion's Judgement
Only we are allowed to have big fuckers.