>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Tomb of Annihilation leaks album
imgur.com/a/iglMj

>Tomb of Annihilation complete official art dump (pdf)
mega.nz/#!JyB0zbhI!UqyuEBdi65FfAWpQYJU8htDvJ8XE4wy_vpLOBQEZXc4

>Tortle Package (pdf)
mega.nz/#!Kgw10Qha!DvWcsgAyGdNFtspYAUNWNCCPrzALIWY36ES9UXWCXRI

>Previous thread:
What's the next area of Faerun that you'd like to see get an official adventure?

The final boss of ToA is a big fucking baby

This is also true for CoS

Bumping because I need to DM murderhobos with magic rope in an hour and they WILL try this

I don't want more Faerun. Give me some stuff in Sigil

If I go Kensei 8/Battlemaster 4, how badly am I fucking myself? Compared to going full monk of course.

>Same amount of ASI
>gain fighting style (either GWF for +0.8 dmg per hit, or +1 AC)
>gain action surge
>gain a maneuvers
>lose 4 ki points
>lose immunity to disease & poison
>lose Sharpen the Blade (+1 atk/dmg per ki for 1 minute)

Thanks mein negro friend

>botched pdf

They can just fucking attack the rope and destroy it. Read the fucking item in the DMG

Perkins has hinted there will be some sort of planar shenanigans eventually.

What? What did I do wrong

A monk can't use heavy weapons or armor...

Don't spread shit like this around. It will spread to Reddit and before you know it the whole repository will be gone. Do the Christian thing and delete your post.

Better than nothing dude

Ok yeah forgive my folly

Warlocks are bad but flavorful. Fucking why.

Yeah, I'd be using my unarmored defense and a longsword from kensei.

GWF works with a versatile weapon in both hands

Mariner gives you +1 AC when not wearing heavy armor

For the same reason Michael Shanks left the regular cast of Stargate for two seasons.

You did the right thing, user.

>have a player who only ever plays champion fighter
Is there anything really appealing about champion fighter that I'm missing? Nothing but rolling to hit and rolling for damage seems like it would get boring after about 2 sessions

I mean, it's sorta bland.

That is, until you get that sweet 19.

Some people just prefer simple characters

How gay is ToA?

There's nothing wrong with simple characters

Liches are usually gay-by-necessity incels, no?

:thinking:

I'll ask again since last time it devolved into idiocy, if your DM allowed you to use the bonus action for moving spiritual weapon how would you guys build the tortle hockey cleric?

I wanna play a good old bog standard tiefling GoO Tomelock and help my fellow adventurers out. Also telepathy because I've never used that before.

So i just started Out of the Abyss, and my players insist on fighting the drow, they want their starting crap back and the wand of viscid globs... They've seen how powerful the wand and Ilvara are first hand, but they think their drow poison crossbows will be enough to fight her... How do I convince them not to walk into this tpk? I feel like they wont run if combat actually starts? I'm already planning on having one or two of the npc prisoners rush a head if them into Ilvara's quarters and insta-die. But if thats not enough what should I do?

I'd bring in my multiclassed dandwiki homebrew character

Is there any foe or mechanic that increases their AC by 1 every time said foe takes a hit? If not AC then damage or modifiers or something.
Could be a neat way to make a "I AM GROWING STRONGER" type foe.

allow them to learn from their mistake. kill them all.

What do you mean "devolved into idiocy"??? Your fucking question is manifest idiocy. "Tortle hockey cleric"? Do you know how retarded you sound right now?

No, because that's retarded.

There are enemies that split or heal when they take damage.

There are creatures that change somewhat based on their remaining HP. At low HP swarms deal less damage and oozes lose the ability to split.

Keying it off of how many times it's attacked or hit is probably a bad idea because monsters are generally built to take a lot of hits. Giving a monster 4-6 more points of AC every round is not going to stay within bounded accuracy.

I guess if they refuse to heed the final warning of watching Ilvara summon a yolhkol and killing Eldeth the NPC Dwarf, they deserve to die. I've told them out of character they will be free to return when they are more prepared but it seems they dont listen.

Why is Acererak an archlich now? Archliches are supposed to be good-aligned liches. He was identified as a super-powered demilich in the 5e MM, which was fine. Why change the terminology?

Those enemies you mentioned sound neat, what are they?
I just like the idea of a foe that starts with absolutely anus AC and/or saving throws but gradually adapts over a fight or over many fights.

>Those enemies you mentioned sound neat, what are they?
perhaps you should follow the advice of your own pic?

It's a build where you have a tortle in its shell with spirit guardian on and using a spiritual weapon to knock itself around.

sounds retarded.

It is

Spiritual Weapon cannot do that as it's a bonus action to activate an attack not a push nor does it allow you to push targets, Bigby's Hand/Arcane Hand can on the other hand, though it is a bonus action it is possible if someone else pushes the shell.

I personally prefered Delayed Fireball or Cloudkill on a Tortle. Seems better.

So I just started playing a Seeker patron Warlock, because being able to buff myself with two spells in one turn's cool, but I don't know how I should go about building it. Blade seems like a good way to go about it, but maybe Tome would nab me a couple useful spells?

>While in your shell, you are prone, your speed is 0 and can't increase, you have disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws, you can't take reaction, and the only action you can take is a bonus action to emerge from your shell.

Question:

If a character can't do the entirety of an enemy's HP in damage in one hit, can they still assassinate them in their sleep?

In a recent game, one of my fellow players was upset when the DM told him he can't slit a character's throat in his sleep to kill him because he had 46 HP, and the player could do a maximum of about 16 damage in one hit. Who was right?

both were.
The DM is right per RAW
The Player was right per Rule of Cool and common sense.

Player was right, RAW is fucking dumb.

If you play nothing but rRAW a 9'11ft Goliath can flying haymaker a common rat at full force and will never do enough damage to kill it, without crits.

Use your fucking heads people.

Will someone sum up for me why Bladelock is considered so unviable and is almost universally hated?

Educate me.

Full body Acererak has been acknowledged as an archlich in the DMG (description of the cover). I'm assuming they just changed what being an archlich is now, but you could always message somebody on twitter like Mearls or Perkins for clarification.

My rpg group runs a "escape from the drow" version of chapter one that works pretty nicely:

-Use the demon attack event as distraction
-Let the difigured ex-captain give them the keys as mentioned in the book
-Set them on a 15 minute time counter to escape
-Allow them to cast cantrips but not level 1 spells until they get their shit back, give extra stuff on the armory
-We usually do the following:

a) First tower has 2-3 guards plus a cr 1 spider, remove the drow poison
b) They get to the armory and get decent equipment quickly, provide extra medicine kits here
c) They go to the temple, the priestess asistant is here, lower it to a lvl 2 cleric with 2 body guards, if they combat is to easy drop the spider on them mid fight
d) They get to the lower levels and get their stuff back
e) we usually allow a 5 minute short rest here, or give potions, whatever, describe how the battle is getting more quiet outside
f) They run for the lift and find a couple of quaggoth and drows
g) ?
h) profit

I know it sounds weird, but we run it as a introduction to 5th edition and it's fucking popular here, when I'm back home I could give you a encounters balance table we did.

By RAW a Goliath can only be 8ft max :^)

You gain nothing from going melee. except for flavor. They are viable, but they are'nt worth the efforts to make it work. (And then ranged would be better anyway.)

Btw we also remove all the npcs. I'm currently running OotA with my personal group of friends, and they did the same but with the npc and a bit harder combats. They loved it.

In any case, if they defy Ilvara, make sure she kills someone in a horribly and easy way, she needs to remain as the "Evil guy to run away from" for a while. They party being chased is what moves the plot until chapter 7.

>Mariner gives you +1 AC when not wearing heavy armor
>Mariner
That better fit with your character backstory user.

I've got a big fight a few sessions from now for my four person level 9 party where they're going to get involved in a fight between an allied stone giant and a black dragon (not sure on what the age is going to be yet)

how the hell do I balance this?

DM is right by RAW. I don't think it's a huge leap of logic either, you can just say the character is woken by your presence at the moment of the attack and avoids the worst of it.

What did user post?

>what is refluffing
hmm yes your monk is not allowed to be a fast climber unless you have paperwork proving at least 6 months stay on a seafaring vessel

No

Thats essentially, what I've done. All that but the demon attack. Next week what I think I'm doing is having Ilvara swiftly and brutally kill some NPC's if that doesnt scare them enough to run I think I'll have the demon attack happen when 1 or 2 party members are in death saving throws and have Ilvara leave them to fight the bigger threat.

it's mostly memery, yes bladelocks are not as strong as the other pacts. No one will contest that. A lot of the complaints come from is Eldritch Blast being really good and generally more worthwhile to buff it with invocations. What many choose to ignore is that you have enough invocations to grab the best EB buffs AND take ALL of the bladelock invocations (if we are talking solely PHB).

Another issue is that people try to play Bladelocks as frontliners like Fighters, Barbs, and Paladins. This is not how Bladelocks work and you will be completely crushed if you try to play that way. Bladelocks are first and foremost casters. They have some melee abilities to grant them diversity but they are still casters and you should play them as such. When you do engage in melee, it is to back up your melee allies. Not to tank for your ranged allies.

CP

Delet this

If you can't do that then you can't have it.

Refluffing is just a powergamer's excuse to have benefits with no restrictions.

here's you're (You)

>Refluffing is just a powergamer's excuse to have benefits with no restrictions
No, it's really not

*your

They need to be fucking scared of Ilvara, you are gonna be using the drow chasing chart for months. If the next time the drow catch up to them they turn around and fight her, you'll be in the same situation.

The message they get should be "If they catch us again, we are done". Don't be a pussy. SLAUGHTER a player. Nobody cares about Npcs they've met 4 hours ago.

and that is how you get your (You)'s back.

>monster surviving more than one fight
>especially if it starts out really bad

What do you think happens to monsters, user? Do you think the PCs send them away to live with a nice farm family?

Anyway, keep in mind that the average life span of a monster is maybe three rounds. You get no time for anything gradual. At best you might be able to have two stages, typically above and below half HP.

That's not how it works, you little shit.

What if it was a bossish type monster that would use a spell or something to escape, or plot convenience happened and distracted the party/seperated them from it.

Not a Beholder when he petrified everyone.

The only reason you'd refluff something is to avoid a restriction, like a paladin without a god.

Yeah I could just have her brutally lay into the first person she kills to give the others a chance to run. Attack them while they are down to force failed saves. It would let them get some distance between Ilvara and them, and her chasing them would motivate them to move and not dwell on the treasure they are missing.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem to modify the Lady Wachter's Wish event from CoS to have Lady Wachter approach and do intrigue digging about the party herself, creating a potential bond with them?

I feel this would be a more interesting way to go about it than some dude following the party.

Is 5e ever going to get a dedicated gish class? Or are we stuck with just reflavoring a Paladin?

Yeah man we're getting one tomorrow

Paladins don't need a god, you retard.

RAW you have attack with advantage and auto-crit, but that's it.

I'd allow instakill for un-named opponents, but not for bosses.

Ok, fine. "I spent some time on a ship once."

You fell for his bait you fucking retard.

But do Clerics need a god, and what happens if they abandon, denounce, reject or double-cross it? That's truly the one question that no sidebar has answered yet!

Or you fell for his bait you fucking retard

or maybe YOU fell for HIS bait!

Or maybe it is you who has fallen for his bait?

baitception

He's playing a weeb in, most likely, a western european based setting. He was on a boat at some point.

DM is only allowing PHB races

Hex is also disadvantage to attacks. Familiar gives advantage on attacks, and Devil's Sight gives me 120 feat dark vision through magical darkness, which means I can see through my own darkness spell for long range teleport assassinations

The ranger advantage on first attack is already covered by the assassinate lvl 3 trait. Not sure how useful fighting style will be, as a Monk I'm pretty restricted to quarterstaff for flurry of blows if I need extra damage to after sneak attack crits. Id probably take archery for kiting with 60ft movespeed if I took anything.

>Hex is also disadvantage to attacks
Attack rolls are not ability checks, and Hex only gives disadvantage on ability checks. RTFM.

>Hex is also disadvantage to attacks.

You place a curse on a creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Also, choose one ability when you cast the spell. The target has disadvantage on ability checks made with the chosen ability.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature.

Why did your PC become an adventurer and why adventuring specifically?