GM Gripes Thread

What are some things your players do which consistently annoy you, fellow GMs?

Nothing.

To be clear, I've never managed to run a sandbox successfully, because my players just stop doing things. They don't follow up on anything, they don't make up their own goals, they don't even try to derail because there's no rails.

Have one player who will ask a question that was answered not even a minute ago. Last night finally snapped at him and said OOC "you know you really need to work on your listening skills because NPCs are going to start getting annoyed at answering a question they literally answered a minute ago." He got a little upset until other players agreed, hopefully it fixes the issue because it's on my last nerve.

All of my This.

>Put hours into every day making the next session along with attending my classes and working
>Try to use their character names as much as possible, act out my NPCs differently in voice and decisions making as if I was (oh I don't know) PLAYING the ROLE of that that character
>Try to detail environments to the best of my ability through maps because my verbal descriptions often suck and I miss a few things but maps are usually of good quality
>Don't expect, or even want, a pat on the back/compliment on the session/or other shit like that just for players to meet me half-the god damn-way and not treat the session like a typical MMO
>Too bad
>they always go straight for the person with the imaginary (!) on their head, immediately go to where they were told to go, only to have half of them die, the rest barely complete/make it out alive, and then listen to them bitch and moan about how they couldn't have done it any differently
>never attempt to make a plan of attack
>never try to investigate/perceive the area/enemies around or near them
>preparing for a job/quest is seemingly alien to them and almost always only have what they started with or found in the last dungeon
>4/20 blaze it XDDDD
>play their characters as if it's a video game, almost never act as if they are playing a person that has lived their entire lives semi-competently up to the point in time they came into the campaign
>Try to make a story? They start making train noises.

About to run these tracks into a canyon, wash my hands of my group, and hopefully get play for once through an entire campaign without flakes or at least get a new group of players that actually attempt to immerse themselves into the world. I stopped having fun years ago because of them but still do it out of a sense of obligation at this point.

Force me to be GM

Complain about the enemies they face and how their abilities are bullshit, despite never bothering to research literally anything.

I've got this even worse 'cause I get this shit in a text-based game.

Seriously, look up, like, five lines. We just went over this

Metal Gear?!

Doing exactly what I want them to and planned for them to do. I'm running a game, if I wanted the story to go the way I wanted I'd write a book.

At least they're subverting my expectations now by just going full murderhobo sith lords. Not sure if it's any better though, especially since one guy said "user, nows the time when there's brackets telling us what to do." Bitch, this isn't KotR or Skyrim, you need to figure shit out on your own.

Get upset when they roll badly. It's just a game dudes.

Get jealous over loot items.

Act surprised when being obnoxious to NPCs results in the NPC treating them like shit.

Use out of game knowledge of the setting to inform decisions for the characters with no justification, not even a bullshit one.

>Come up with cool name for person/town/item
>Players's purposely butcher it

This is why I now pronounce scimitar as skimiter.

>Won't think creatively at all
>Don't act on their own initiative, have to have an NPC direct them or lead them where to go
>Treat every NPC like shit, expect them to act as meat shields
>Constantly doing lolsorandum shit whenever a figure of authority comes along (I shit in the count's throne room XDDDD)
>Whenever a monster comes along they will do nothing other than wail on it until it or they go down with no heed to whether it may be stronger than them

>*The siege has taken it's toll on the city guard, and many more are sure to fall, but if this keeps up even you will be dead by the end of it all. Never to pass up opportunity, and more importantly a chance to lengthen your life expectancy, you and a few others entered the barracks to see what you could do to help weather this storm of fire and rock. A man stands before you with shoulders as wide as his face is weary. The old captain scans you from top to bottom, a look of mild disappointment can be seen on his face but beggers can't be choosers. After etching a few notes onto his notebook he speaks up...*
>"Look, I'm not going to sugarcoat this." *He stands up and gives an honest look directly into your eyes.* "If you decide to go on this mission you're sure to die, and that's being generous. I can't afford to give you any backup either, I need all the experienced men that I have on the walls and holding out until reinforcements arrive but you'll be free to take whatever you want from our storehouse if you choose to accept." *He looks down at an old map of the city on his desk, gently stroking it's frayed corners and furrows his brow.*
>"Onto the reason you're here. *The captain sits back down, grabs his inkwell and pen, opens up his book, and readies himself to write* "Your backgrounds. In order to think of a plan on how we can all make it out of this alive we need to know each other as much as we can in this small time we have together." *He points his pen in your direction* "You first, why are you here?"
>Player - "I tell him why I'm here."

Fuck. You.

It's okay user. At least they're have f-fun. Right?

Owch, I'm sorry you have such shit players user

Fuck, I hate this shit.

Similarly, this shit also happens frequently:
>Players go to find out something for some important guy
>Important guy: Well, what have you learned about
>Player: I tell him everything I know about

Or:
>Character wasn't there when party did something, but the player was at the table
>Player: What happened while I was gone?
>Other player: I tell him everything that happened while he was gone

Makes me wanna quit sometimes.

I don't like when I'm try to set a narrative important to the story and one of my players interrupts me or is doing something like using their phone. I've tried stuff like "Okay, this next bit's important so pay close attention, I'm not going to repeat myself", and it's had positive results, but whenever I'm a player I always focus on the game 100%, which I would hope my players would reciprocate without additional effort on my part.

>but whenever I'm a player

Must be nice.

>Hey GM, what will happen if we do X?
>It's a terrible idea, it will fail for the following reasons. If you try it, you'll probably all die
>Players try X
>It fails
>Most or all of them die
>GM, what the fuck?
>I told you this would happen
>But I didn't think you were being serious about it.

I have no idea why players think I'm bluffing when I say things, GM to player like that. But it's really irritationg.

Third this. One Party treated the game like tabletop WOW. Where the raid lewt!!!1
I had to gently railroad by pushing and adding tracks underneath

I stopped caring about my player's mortality far too long after I realized they didn't either.

This made me angry

>Sorry sorry, I had to do X. On my way there now.
>one hour later, still isn't here

Look faggot, I know life happens but what's so hard about a text or a call saying to just start and you'll be here later if at all?

Fuck, I know that is some petty shit but it never ceases to get on my nerves.

>Player "I climb onto his back, bring my greataxe downwards and split him in half."
>Me "Roll to hit then, big shot level 4."
>....
>"Looks like you missed."
>"But I already described it!"

What is it about this hobby that gathers the most mentally deficient, cringe-worthy, and/or sexually deprived people in droves into my games?

It's not the hobby, it's you

>"But I already described it!"
I have a player who consistently does this. I hate this shit so much.

Refuse to make a valid concept using the classes in the player's handbook and instead request stupid shit from Unearthed Arcana.

Attempt to rules lawyer because that's just what they do

Never show up on time. I posted about this in a previous thread, but I understand that getting a non-zero number of adults in the same place at the same time for multiple consecutive hours is difficult. I still feel personally disrespected when they don't show up and act all flippant about it.

I had a player a while back who gave dumb nicknames to everything, butchering names to make references. He is why I'm so picky about names these days.

I had a player like this, too. Nothing could ever be straight from the core rulebooks, nope. Always gotta have these archetypes, these templates, these alternate class features, these alternate racial or species features, this homebrew thing, that thing from the developer's personal blog that he made as a joke -- nothing could ever be standard. You bet your ass 3.pf was his favourite version of D&D, too, and he's the main reason the rest of the group has moved on to better games.

He's not interested in making characters. He just wants to see how badly he can break the game by combining things that were never meant to be combined. Which I guess is fun for him, but that's not what the games I run are about. He can go ahead and do that on his free time, but if he's going to be in my game, I need to know where and why his kitsune-celestial-fiend-catfolk-hermaphrodite suddenly switched from learning class X and gained levels in class Y, and hopefully he's got a reason better than "It's for my build."

>"It's for my build."

Why do these people play a tabletop? Why not just play an MMO instead?

They would probably be happier playing an MMO or a video game, but I guess those are probably too restrictive when it comes to trying to break the game over their knee. With tabletop they can just throw a tantrum or give puppy dog eyes to try and get their way. With a video game, they'd need to use Cheat Engine in a single-player game or whatever, and they'd get bored when they found out the game has suddenly been robbed of all its challenge.

Pleading for splats that were never meant to be part of the game is low and homebrew is pure cancer, but there's nothing wrong with having a plan where you wanna take the character in the future. I have one such plan in real life too. Most people should.

I know this feel but he always wants special snowflake homebrew classes.

tfw I'm a player in a sandbox style game with the opposite problem. our gm doesn't have follow-up stuff for anything

I'm assuming there is a world of difference in a universe where you can find/read about nearly whatever career you want in mere seconds, make a plan according to what you've read on getting to said career path, and attaining it. And another where travel by horse and carriage is likely the most commonly used form of traveling long distances, hearing stories of heroes and legends in your life, and just so happening to get to level 5 as a paladin and saying "Finally! Okay I summon my steed now."

>How though?
>"I just can, read the spell."
>That's nice and all, but I mean what changed from a few seconds ago in that fight and now? >"I'm level 5 now dude!"

I'm not saying there needs to be a session's worth of time dedicated to you actually finding out how to do it, I'm not saying you need to always be hamming it up with rp, or needing a certain inspiration for THIS certain steed but god damn man can you at least try and not make every single second of time at the table as if you're powerleveling someone from WoW or some shit?

One player.. always the same one.

>Describe the village the PC's will start in.
>Sandboxy, small village. Entirely mapped out.
>Population=46 people including out lying farms
>Tell the players, we'll start small, and after a couple levels, we can move out into the world
>Now, you all will pick your family you live with. You're all 17.
>Family backgrounds are listed.
>Ranger, mage, thief, fighter, cleric, druid, sorcerer, bard, barb, or ph2 classes are all covered.
>Choose, and give me a quick "background" (even 'because my parent taught me' is fine)
> One player says " I'll be a warforged dread necromancer!"
>Dude...you weren't listening...core and ph2 only
>The necro can do (x)!!! I wanna play that.
>Not this game...no.
> What's he write down?
You guessed it... warforged dread necromancer.
I call him on it, he says " well, I'm not from that village anyway"

Every fucking game. Eventually he rolled up a bard.

The times you're not spent actively playing the game are assumed to be, you know, training and researching and shit.

One of the few things I actually can't stand is players making similar sounding names, whether I'm another PC or the DM. The amount of confusion it can potentially cause is not worth the occasional chuckle over the next few months or years.

Fucking seriously. Part of the fun of games like these is the storytelling. Where did he learn that spell from? Has he known the fundamentals of it, but only recently came to fully understand them? Has he been keeping the details of that spell (and maybe more) on a scroll or in a book from his mentor? Was it something he developed on his own in his free time? Did he receive a holy vision from his deity instructing him of this new power? This stuff is always more interesting when it actually comes from somewhere, god damnit.

I fucking hate this type of player. What kind of upbringing did they have, that this is their reaction to being told no? Just fucking write it down anyway and assume it's okay and that the GM will let you have it? Christ.

What about the campaigns where you're quite literally unable to do so because of multiple reasons? Like campaigns that actually goes through day by day and there never is actual "downtime"? Or modules that do pretty much the same but may also have you in an area that common isn't even the typical language and you can't read the local scrolls/books for research or speak to others for proper training?

I'm not saying that there HAS to be a justification for choosing X spell over another, I mean it is a game after all, but not even a prayer and self-reflection led me to attempt the spell? Just a flat out "Ima summon something now"? It just makes me put another tally on the "Why do I even bother trying to immerse myself and the players into the world" wall.

What is stopping the player for getting that self-reflection while fleeing the torch-mob? Why can't they offer up a prayer while climbing that frozen cliff? If they're able to gain statistical improvements, why not mental ones?

Don't get me wrong, "summoning just because" is terrible. I'd love a DM who wanted me to flesh that sort of thing out like you seem to endorse. Last time I tried, in some shipwreck setting with no real resources or people to talk to, he just forgot and half my class features never 'turned on'. But I wouldn't want the books to demand I summon a horse only in this specific way, when another might fit the character or setting better.

>Disengaged player?
I want to do better, how can I make this more interesting for you? Or are you having fun but unwilling to stop using your phone at the same time? (can be annoying, but honestly I can deal with it)

>Passive player?
I'm cool with, if they want to just hang out, roll some dice and watch the story unfold, cool. (Includes "I tell him everything that just happened" types)

>Power player?
I'm cool with, if they want to make a badass orc killing guy or the wizard who kills dragons in a single spell, I'm cool with it. I can make the game harder. I can make enemies that you can't beat with a single spell. I enjoy that too!

>But I already described it!
I narrate the passive player's actions anyway, I can hijack yours if I need to as long as it's nothing antithetical to your character (a mishap/single failed attempt is not).

>Want to treat the game like WoW just being led by NPCs and without planning?
Going to accidentally put yourself in a major moral dilemma. Where either option has major repercussions and consequences. Then those consequences are going to happen, in order to create drama.

Honestly I feel like I've nearly reached GM nirvana. Now if only I could get to play in more cool games too. I'm tired of the good ones I'm in ending before their time.

Ugh, every.single.time.

Because we know that's not how they are going to play that shit out. They are at a new level in their planned out character, they simply mark it down, and they continue on with the hack-and-slash.

And I'm not saying that it has to have any life-changing event, a "How to Summon a Steed: Paladin Edition" spellbook, or anything like that. It just chips away at my willingness to waste my time during the week getting everything ready, hoping that they'll actually attempt to rp for once, and be met with the same attitude and playstyle after I've told them over and over what I'm trying to get out of running a campaign.

I hate GMing. I hate my players. I want to use my time for other things because they've made me hate tabletops in general, but most are my friends and they seem to have fun despite everything. It just gets demoralizing when your attempts at making and populating a world is utterly shit on by min-max video game mentality faggotry.

>Player will spend entire round silently thinking up an epic really cool thing to do
>On his turn
>"NOW...I want to do X with this spell. It doesn't SAY I can use it that way but I thought I'd ask you"
>Point out his idea is completely ludicrous
>Will be so completely flustered and have no backup plan
>Will need to spend literally 10minutes checking every spell he has and asking hypothetical to come up with a new idea on his round
>Its so bad we just put the kettle on when its his turn

Had a player like this, the way I solved it was telling everyone from that session forward they had 30 seconds to tell me what they were doing their turn. If they had absolutely nothing they did nothing that turn. So he'd still have a "hey I want to x" sometimes they were reasonable requests, but when the ones that were stupid came up he at least had a less spectacular idea after missing several rounds the first couple sessions with the new rule.

>"I eat the mold on the wall"
>"I attempt to fuck the undead abomination"
>"I grapple the Deva to snap their neck" - Is level 3.
>"Oh! Oh! My dice hit the table at an odd angle"
>"I take back what I did, I want a do over"
>"Can I make a quicksave
I've had all of this. Along with Player who are late or want to get fucking grease on my nice books/dice. I even had someone spit tobacco into a clear plastic cup in front of my players.

I actually have a really good group right now, and I hope it lasts a long time. Any minor issues are absolutely miniscule compared to the retarded shit I've had to put up with over the years

>or want to get fucking grease on my nice books/dice

There is no punishment that is made available using todays technologically and understanding of the human psyche to bring to these types of """people""".

It is a 100% guaranteed method of getting me pissed off when someone wants to use one of my books when they just ate grease injected pizza or cheeto dust on their fingers. No respect for the books I tell you.

Had a player who was a full-blooded power gamer, and not the reasonable kind. He just COULDN'T not power game, you see. It was basically a condition, I was told. He just had to have a nigh-invulnerable superman or else he'd fall to pieces.

Then he met Ironclaw, couldn't figure out how to game it, almost died, and promptly tried to sabotage the game out of spite.

Trying to make the campaign about their shitty character. Example
>Session 0, i'm gathering basic info about PC's and their motivations
>Want to incorporate them into story, or at least sidequests
>Player x hears this, tells about how his character wants to find his long-lost father
>Neat-o, sounds like good sidequest material
>Player then wants ONLY to find his PC's father
>Seriously, it's all his character talks about
>Asks every NPC if they've seen someone matching his fathers description
>Every. Single. One.
>Even the villains (to be fair, he didn't know they were villains at the time)
>We tell him to cool it on the "daddy issues" thing
>He ignores us
>It gets so annoying, other players leave
Basically, the campaign fell apart cause one shit edgelord rogue player thought his daddy issues would be important enough to ingore the lich gathering power in his mystic tower. I wanted to kick him out of the group, but I work with the player, and I know he'd be a bitch to work with if I had.

I had a player show up with a character named Robert. One of thr other players was named Robert. I told him that was too confusing and he had to change it. He couldn't understand why it would be confusing.

>they had 30 seconds to tell me what they were doing their turn.
Perfectly reasonable.
>Player: um...errrrr....um...
>*30 seconds of that*
>Dm: ok, your character stands there trying to decide what to do, clearly shocked and surprised from seeing the orcs here, you lose your turn trying to gather your thoughts this round

Yeah sometimes I get out my watch and countdown 1 minute.

>You spend the turn dodging

Playing over skype, one player is silent every time i say it's her turn. Sometimes for ten or twenty seconds. Sometimes her mic is actually muted, sometimes she is just thinking. Sometimes she has left the computer entirely. But there is always a long pause.

And if you ask if she's there or repeat her name, she gets mad. Every fucking time.

It's worse when they really are the star. It's inevitibly some chucklefuck who acts like a diva, either in or out of character. Worst case scenario, it's both.

>"It's 1d20 for initiative, right?"
>"Let's interrupt the DM by spouting memes!"
>"My staff is my dick!"
>"I shoot Greater Spell Arrow out of my dick staff!"
>"Sorry, I can't show up. Oh? It's thirty minutes after you were supposed to start? Oh well!"
>"No. Even though I failed the roll, I'm not taking damage. I refuse to take it."
>"Hahaha! Hm? Oh, you were talking to me. I attack."
>"Yeah, I'll get off my phone."
>"Well, I DID get off my phone. I'm just on it again. I'll get off it though."
>"What? Can't I just text when it's not my turn? What do you mean you've asked me multiple times?"
>"I rush in, throw Greater Spell Arrow, then run away so they can't do anything to me on their turn!"
>"I'm the best damage dealer in the party!"
>"Let me derail the entire campaign for an hour talking about memes!"
>"I'm drunaksjdaklsd-" *passes out*
>"Can I put my waifu in this game?"
>"These are the stats of my little sister!"
>"Can you make me the strongest character next campaign?"
>"It's 1d20 for initiative, right?
I just want to have a complete campaign that isn't flooded with this stuff. Please note, each of these are direct quotes.
There was one recent "campaign"
where I was a player and I was so happy.
It was cancelled after the third session.
It was probably the first time in a very long time where I've genuinely enjoyed a session.

I want to strangle your players, user.

>>"Can I put my waifu in this game?"
>>"These are the stats of my little sister!"
I hope these are unrelated

Argue about whether monks should be able to catch bullets or not

>6 sessions in
>Players should all be familiar with rules and classes by now
>"Which one is the d8?"

>Player can't do simple maths in his head
>Game grinds to a halt as he calculates his damage each turn by counting with his fingers and writing down the numbers on some paper
I LIKE YOU BUT JUST BRING A FUCKING CALCULATOR IF IT'S THAT MUCH TROUBLE FOR YOU

Wouldn't writing the damage down be enough? and just reference it when they need it?

Just to clarify. "It's 1d20 for initiative, right?" happened multiple times per session.
I'm known as one of the most calm people they know because I've never once become angry and snapped at someone both in and out of game. They really don't know how much this stuff pains me.
The most promising campaign that I've ever done had to be cancelled right as I got into the thick of the plot because of player interest. They wanted a campaign that focused on combat so they could become ultra powerful villians but never said a word about it despite me saying multiple times that it was going to be more story driven. Only one player was very upset about not continuing it. They tell others about how I made a "catastrophe of a campaign that copied Dark Souls."
Sorry for rambling. I'm just venting a bit.
Luckily yes, but the little sister thing happened twice. And both times I said "Yes" only to have her put under so much fire that she'd either be a huge liability in battle, be killed, or leave the party since she's useless.
The waifu thing was from That DM that we used to play with. He'd always shove his Gary Stu self insert and Mary Sue waifu into his campaigns and he desperately tried having them put into the campaigns I ran while having them be as overpowered. That was an obvious no.

God, I want to be a player in a campaign.

I mean he doesn't write down the total damage, he calculates each individual component of his damage per attack and then declares his total damage. This takes ages, however, as he can't add numbers together quickly in his head.

To clarify, I mean to say that this is regarding how much damage he inflicts when he attacks, not calculating the damage he takes.

I have a confession

Like you, I too dislike players who aren't paying attention and are just on their phones.

And yet, when I play, I am on my phone. Game time is usually after work so I am compelled to check up on my messages.

I am everything that I hate

I don't hate players who are on their phone I hate players who are still on their phone by the time it's their turn or out of combat during NPC conversations

As a player, I know the feeling of missing a described attack, but I only hate it because it's the game's rollplaying telling my roleplaying to go fuck itself. I've gotten a bit numb to it by now, but it still stings a little whenever I want to say more during combat than "I [verb] [thing]" and the game goes "lol, you tried to sound clever".
It feels good going through these threads and finding examples like this where my viewpoint is "I occasionally do this, but I've backed down when the GM has given me a valid reason against it".
I know this feel as well, we've been on hiatus for nearly a year now because of burnout even though he's got an entire established multiverse to work with/flesh out. I can't appreciate him enough for being Forever GM, but when no one else can run due to shitty scheduling it starts to hurt.
I did quicksave as a one-off thing in a one-on-one as a joke, and it has remained a joke since we never actually use it, even when we bring it back up.

Why not [verb] [thing] to establish the kind of action you want to do and if you pass the check
then try the more extravagant description

MMOs are more restrictive in that you can do everything, but not at the same time.

Because if I do that then the next person in line stops their "I need seven whole minutes to decide my turn" timer to pay attention, and we don't have that kind of freedom.

>Player chats up NPC
>Asking questions, standard fare
>Conversation ends
>"Well that didn't work"

Motherfucker what didn't work? You didn't try to do anything as far as I can tell

If they shit on the king's throne you should arrest him and sentence him to death. Not because you are mean, because logically, that is what the King and his guard would do.

>New campaign is alternating DMs, in large part to let foreverDM play for once
>ForeverDM is incredibly passive
>Has died several times, because he does stupid shit
>Went down a submerged tunnel, alone, and without telling anyone
>Willingly submerged in quick sand, "saving" another player
>Drank unknown bottle of liquid without identifying it, away from the party

The worst part though, is that he just ignores anything that isn't immediately obvious to be the solution

>Undead filled pirate dock, multiple intelligent undead with skeleton minions
>Skeletons hold lanterns that shed dim, blue light
>When killed, they drop the lantern and they stop shining
>Picks one up, tries to investigate it, rolls reasonably, tell him its likely powered by magic
>Tosses it in the water, forgets all about it
>Even when i have other undead pick it up and it glows
>Shit was powered by necromatic energy, and i was giving him a fluffy magic lantern, but he just wanders on

>Finds a library, in a wizards tower
>Searches for spell scrolls and/or spellbooks
>Tell him that its a library, not a private study, and that such things wouldn't be kept here, but give him a list of 20 books that "catch his eye"
>Ignores them, says he goes and looks for a spell scroll

sounds like everyone is dealing with shitty players

in the game I'm in everyone is quite decent, funny, and nice, DM included.

Although we frequently speak OoC which would piss a lot of people here off. Roleplaying is not my strong suit.

It's quite normal for a player attempting a risky action to die because if there wasn't tension, the game would be pointless. The player can always make a new character ffs.

>"Wait, no I don't actually do that. DON'T RAILROAD ME"

sometimes you gotta put your foot down and just straight up murder the character. Bitching at work or no bitching, reason is on your side.

that's the problem with newbie spell casters.

First character I played was a druid. I had the same problem. Next time force him to play a thief or something.

what are you even supposed to do with the lanterns? They provide a shitty light source when held by a zombie? I don't blame him for discarding especially when there are a lot of them.

I play by the rule, if you say you do something, it happens. No take backs. Cuts down on bullshit immensely.

>Ok guys, you're making a sportsball team. I suggest working on your characters together so your team has some synergy.

Proceeds to make individual characters that don't work together in the least.

>There's a magical force field around your character, but if you move forward you won't be inside it and there's a horde of ravening aliens on the other side

Proceeds to walk outside of shield and get murderized, then complains about getting murderized.

>Ok guys, your sportsball team can have advantage A or advantage B (decided before the first match). If you have advantage A you can recruit premade, but experienced, replacement characters. If you have advantage B you can make your own replacement characters, but they start as starting characters.

After getting murderized, said player has now been complaining (for 2 games straight) about how he gets no creative input into the game now (team went with advantage A in a 4-1 vote). And keeps complaining that he doesn't care about the game anymore.

>Completely ignores all team management aspects of the game
>Doesn't care about getting to design "home field" arenas
>refuses to play any recruited character - "they're all dumb"

At least 5/6 of my players are enjoying the game. Hell, one of those guys missed team creation game so he doesn't have any self-made characters, he's completely stuck with recruits.

bonus mode: guy who is complaining about not having any creative outlet in the game was the GM for the game we were playing until a few weeks ago when he decided he was bored/tired of GMing.

>Let's completely ignore the game and talk about/play MtG all night.

I'm almost to the point of banning MtG in my house.

My players love to be railroaded. Most of the time, its cool, but sometimes I wish they'd have goals beyond what I tell them they are.
Other than that, cant complain.

>Player is completely silent for extended periods of time
Between my four players, two of them make up 95+% of all IC dialogue and decision-making. The other two will participate in combat, roll skill checks, offer commentary on the events of the game, and weigh in on group votes; but they never come up with their own solutions or try to engage NPCs in conversation. This might not be so much of a problem, except for the fact that I run sandboxy, dialogue-heavy games- so I often feel as though they are missing out on the most important part of the game and that I am letting them down by allowing that to happen. I've tried contriving scenarios to put the other characters in the spotlight, which the have responded to, but I can't do that all the time and they return to their normal behavior right after their scene is done. They say they are having fun, but I always feel like I am not engaging them as much as I could be.

Exactly. I myself am a ForeverDM (over 10 years now) and I have found that I can no longer play for shit. I just. . .can't. Something's "broken." Everyone else plays better than I do.

Or by the third skeletal arm of one of our pcs, or he could have powered it by casting a necromancy spell. It's not like it was a big deal, but he picked it up and then ignored it when it wasn't immediate reward.

It just bothers me that unless he already knows what a thing is, he ignores it.

There's nothing wrong with them, man. Some people are just like that. Like me, I'm basically a background element in my current game. It's only when you get a group entirely composed of passive players that things become a problem, or if the passive players are retarded enough to bitch that they don't get to do anything.

Sounds like your group's perfectly happy, though. The two who talk aren't feeling like they're shutting the other guys out, and the two who don't don't feel like they're being shut out.

What did he have to gain by powering the lantern? What reason or motivation was there?

>playing cyberpunk 2020
>characters are part of a black ops unit in the police department
>last mission my brother fucked up and ended up gunning down some civilians
>brother has a history of 'evil' behaviour in our games, generally makes asshole characters and acts antagonistic
>he's called into the boss' office to get a warning about it
>boss says that next time this happens he'll have a black mark put on his record, which would let any of us summarily execute him
>brother responds with 'well i'd just kill all of them then'
>black mark immediately on his record, we're all told over radio that if he steps out of line even an inch that we're cleared to execute him
>on the way home he says to me, 'that was just a joke i was going to take it back'
>'why'd everyone take it seriously'
>have to explain to him that everybody just expects this of him now
>have to explain why nobody trusts the guy who's constantly playing evil characters
>manage to convince him to kill off his current character and play something actually good for once
>also plant the suggestion that he focuses on less-lethal tactics
>next session we have a doc with a syringe gun and flash grenades, doesn't act like a CE murderhobo

I use these kinds of threads exclusively to improve as a player. If we ever play together, I hope I will make you proud to have me as a player. I used to do dumb shit when I started playing DnD some years ago, but now I have found I enjoy pen and paper rpgs a lot, and try to do my best. I'm gonna sink my teeth into Fragged Empire soon, it seems like an interesting game. Thank you all for being such patient DMs.

Well, just think of it this way - some people don't handle social situations super well and are less likely to talk or take control.
If he's quiet, maybe his character is like that. If he says he is enjoying himself, maybe he really is. Don't try to cater to him by avoiding talking to him but don't try to force him out of his comfort zone either. Just let things proceed naturally.

Kinda this, but more like

>DM, what if I do this?
"What do you think will happen?"
>But I don't want to fuck up!

If it seems like something will kill you, you're probably right.

Numbus?

I know good RPers, just they tend to roll the literal same character in different games/setting. Plus the fact that they do seem to fetishize the character or go for furries [even instances of injecting furries into the setting] for the pure purpose of playing one or extreme oddballs who literally no-one in a setting would find attractive and act like a massive slut.

How do people end up like this? Jesus Christ what a shambling wreck of a man.