Post a map you created! World, country, region, city, town villiage, dungeon or wherever!

Post a map you created! World, country, region, city, town villiage, dungeon or wherever!

Other urls found in this thread:

i65.tinypic.com/2qkuv81.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You post a map you created.

It's the overworld map for my first campaign and I had to use a map editor to get it together but all in all I think it came together alright.

Camlann is the royal seat of the king of Camlann. Through the combination of military might, astute diplomacy, bribery and divine power, the Gwyneith god-clan united the disparate kingdoms of the Sinhal Vales and created the Kingdom of Camlann.

For the many years of his reign, King Llywelyn had sought to improve the ties between Camlann and the Kingdom of Aitova, allowing free access to the citizens of the largest human country on the continent. Aitovan merchants became a common sight in the market towns of Awlney and Cuildun, where they purchased as much grain and wool as Camlann could provide. Silver Aitovan piuma battled with the bronze clagh of Camlann for dominance in the capital of Reevalie, while Aitovan money-men soon planted themselves in the trade-town of Wychfeldd, eagerly changing the pyramidal bronze tokens for flat, silver ovals. In trade for grain and wool, Aitova introduced the oil of almonds, steel, exotic pelts, and silks.

As Aitovan money and merchants wove themselves into the fabric of the kingdom, so did elements of Aitovan culture. The ancient clans of Camlann dressed up as noble houses, adopting the practices of heraldry and knighthood. Falconry became the favorite pasttime of the royal court. A delegation of Aitovan bankers soon set themselves up as Camlann's creditors, helping the royal clan fund their wars against the krine of the Fassagh Kelley. Moreover, the veneration of the ancient Camlannic gods is being supplanted by that of the gods of Aitova, especially the Doctrine of Dusk, the god-family who rule Aitova.

It sucks and it's incomplete. Also I realized I made the world way too big, got bored of it and immediately stopped working on it. Now I have a Pathfinder campaign I've been running for a full year now that's full of 3pp and splatbook shit that I don't want, and want to get rid of, so I'm trying to lead it to a TPK of some kind, but one that concludes the story satisfactorily.

Next world is going to be a tiny index card map so I can expand it by tiling other index cards later on, maximum of ten locations. Something like the Nentir Vale from 4e. One of our most memorable campaigns took place there, and it only has like 4 towns, not counting the two the GM added.

A map from last year of Reevalie and Camlann Castle. I've made more progress but I haven't converted it to PNG yet.

Here's another "map" but it's not really a map, more a bad illustration that I labeled to show locations.

this unfinished shite

This is pretty bad.

But this is worse.

I don't like the way the labels are colored and inkarnate got rid of the fucking volcano piece but here's mine

but with hexes

What program did you use to make this. I really like the way it looks.

Props for doing it by hand. If the rest of the map had some colour it would really come together but I think the font on the large labels is a bit unreadable.

It might be my screen but almost all of the labels and borders are super hard to see. I would fiddle with the opacity and brightness of those labels but it's always cool to see a homemade starmap.

Goddammit I wish I could draw. How long do these take for you to draw?

This is me btw. If anybody has feedback I'd love to hear it.

What's your scale?

bottom left quarter of my Lankhmar island continent, currently where the party is exploring.

Very nice, they look so clean.

Fuck me, last one's too big to upload here. i65.tinypic.com/2qkuv81.jpg

And with a big map of Hyrule, I'm calling it. Goodnight gentlemen.

Here's a couple I made for my WFRP campaign. This one is just copied from another adventure with some names switched around.

I've never understood the point of maps with a thousand teeny buildings drawn.
Exactly what benefit is this supposed to provide besides soothing the Gamemasters 'tism?

And this one's original. I keep feeling like I got the scale weird in these, any tips?

It looks better than big blocks just labeled "houses" or something.

I just fail to see the narrative point of drawing several hundred little boxes.
It's not providing any useful information to PC's, which is the core purpose of a map.

Better imo to give them a fantasy illustration of what the city looks like, a list of what districts it has, maybe a few notorious locales.

The point is that it looks better than something designed purely to convey information. For some people having a map that looks "in universe" or just looks like it had some time put into it is equally important as the information the map conveys.

To add, maps can be props as much as they are tools to let the players know where their characters are.

Working on converting to the new inkarnate.

It's not for narrative purposes, it's for aesthetic purposes.
If all you cared about was narative, you could just as easily replace a map with a piece of paper with [INSERT A MAP OF A PLACE HERE] written on it and it would do about as well.

Or you could just give them a page of information on city X and art like pic related.
Ruled by _______ population ________
Major religions
Major imports exports
Cultural oddities
City is intolerant of X, X and X
6 locations of interest (fantastic library, monster plagued catacombs, notorious guild)

And then you are done, aside from fleshing out a few important NPCs. Now the PCs have an actual visual feel for the city, without having to draw out a shit-ton of streets and outbuildings and houses that they will glance at and shrug, because no one gives a single shit about how many hundreds of yards it is between the docks and the Temple of Anubis.

As I said, it's for gamemaster 'tism.
Unless your entire campaign is going to be based in a big city, detail at that level is a complete waste of time and energy.

Sure you can do that too, but the answer to your original question is still "Because some people like it better that way."

I never argued that it wasn't comfy, just that it was practically useless.

Guy who did and here. These maps took me maybe an hour each to make and I did them while I was watching TV. It wasn't hard to do and my players liked having a visual aid to accompany my narration. It's not something I do with every town but if I'm bored and I know they'll be spending a session or two in a specific place I don't mind taking the time to make a map.

I can guarantee you if I'd handed them a piece of paper with information on a town that was longer than two or three sentences they wouldn't read it because they'd rather discover stuff organically than have all of the relevant information handed to them at the top.

I think there's plenty of practical use in knowing where you are in a town.

Had you considered the possibility that players might like to look at pretty maps?

Significant cities should have a reputation, particularly in most Fantasy Worlds where cities are rarer than our own.

So pertinent information like the ruler(s), major religious and trade hubs would be fairly widely known. People would know if it holds a notorious inescapable prison. I'm not saying you should hand out/read an entire page of description.
Knowing that you are in the Market district doesn't require a map of it with tiny buildings in any way.
It's a time sink for something the party is going to look over once and shrug, is what I'm saying.

Certainly not the best map, but it's what I could find on my current computer.

My main critique of this map is that it appears to be highly settled for a standard fantasy-type adventure game.

>It's a time sink for something the party is going to look over once and shrug
I was just saying in another thread that maps like these are really helpful for running combat encounters or chase scenes. In my experience being able to hand your players a bird's eye city map and say "You are here" while giving some other details tends to both help clear up any confusion that might come from incomplete descriptions of an area and makes it so the encounter doesn't get bogged down with fucking around with grid maps and miniatures. It's a really good middle ground between using grid maps and nothing at all.

I probably wouldn't categorized the actual game as "standard fantasy" but I also know the lore in-depth and have been at it for 8 or so years. I will say the map gives off a standard-fantasy vibe but that's also just kinda how I draw maps I guess. The game itself (for the most part, excluding one-offs set in early times or alternate timelines) takes place around the time when computers and tech are becoming more relevant while the world also deals with the oncoming threat of cosmic invasion.

>So pertinent information like the ruler(s), major religious and trade hubs would be fairly widely known.
Yeah, that's all stuff you can explain either in a brief description of the city, through dialogue with NPCs, or with successful knowledge rolls. Like I said, my players would rather discover that through their own initiative or in a brief bit of narration when they arrive at the town.

>It's a time sink for something the party is going to look over once and shrug
Maybe your players would, mine like the visual aid. I wouldn't make the maps if my players didn't get any use out of them or care.

This is currently unfinished, but it's a rough map for a MtG plane that I was sketching up based on some cards I made when I was bored.

I made a town map with notable buildings labeled and the rest being filler until player action makes a location "real." The players have been putting money into the town, and the effort was immediately validated when I asked where someone wanted to set up, and he pointed to a spot on the map.

very WIP