Is this the greatest campaign setting, or what?

is this the greatest campaign setting, or what?

Other urls found in this thread:

riseupcomus.blogspot.com/2016/07/take-me-to-dark-waters_9.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes. Absolutely, unequivocally. Now what system can I run it in, for the love of God?

HERO

Rogue Trader.

>tfw the last 5 treasures will never be found.
>tfw your players are too young to remember, and have no interest in the setting.
>tfw you just want high adventure with an unlikely but loyal crew of misfits.

tell us about the setting.

Fight!

>players too young to remember

This isn't all bad. Anything your players are too young to remember is something you can shamelessly steal without worrying that someone will notice.

Give me a quick rundown

Talislanta

It's really more the "No interest" bit that kills me.

An alien world (possibly a moon) almost completely covered by oceans. A Princeling of an ancient empire is charged with recovering 13 artifacts his father collected, artifacts responsible for driving back the setting's Evil Being, which manifests in the form of motile, acidic tar (the titular 'Dark Water').

Alien landscape comes with alien beings, though there's a few 'normal' fantasy critters like Dagrons (wyverns) and Leviathans (sea serpents whose skin is immune to the Dark Water's effects)

Technology can be either standard or bio-tech (Pistols that are glass tubes containing lizards which breathe knock-out gas, scuba helmets which are a specific type of deep-sea fish, etc), and magic comes in the form of 'ecomancy', ley-line/node based druidism.

Races are Human, near-human, weird subterranean humans that I don't really consider canon, Dark Water mutants, and monkey-birds. Parrot/monkey hybrids.

Yes, good bye waking up for Saturday mornings...

Now all we get us veterinarian shows. Nobody rpgs that...

Noy-gi-tat!

How does the show hold up cause I'm pretty tempted to rewatch it and feel the crushing disappointment of it never being finished again.

Just did that last month. Solid 8/10.

Legit ran this as a campaign three years ago. Had a blast. Set a few decades after the show and Ren is an old and failing man. The quest faltered but managed to keep control out of Bloth's hands. The party took up the mantle at Ren's final request.

Lots of fun. Getting to characterize Bloth was great as a DM (I'm a sucker for SatAM villains). Had a Grippli PC as captain which ended up turning the game into 60% PoDW/40% Muppet Treasure Island complete with arm flailing and shouting "Who hired this crew?"
Unfortunately only two more treasures were attained before a TPK fighting an Aboleth. IRL jobs then nailed the campaign dead.

What were you using to play?

Yes, utterly. If my best and longest running player wasn't an aquaphobe I'd run it all the time.

high-seas tabletop campaigns sound fun as heck, but I almost never hear of people actually playing them.
Perhaps there's a specific reason for this?

torment my eye, but that's a good start. Stealing this.

Have a map of Mer, the world in which Pirates of Dark Water takes place.

And what's a map without some environments to go with it?

1/3

2/3

3/3

beach of doom? getting mixed messages here.

Their beach episode was both their sexiest and most deadly!

>HERO
itsuka haiboku ni odei nameru made tatakau HERO

w...what

I tried to run a game in it a few years ago. I was super excited because I loved that show, although like every game I base on a tv show or movie, no one else in the group had ever heard of it.

Didn't work out very well, unfortunately. My players can't get into sandbox worlds and self motivation.

Your mistake was giving them no overarching goal that they work towards WHILE acting in their own self-interest.

Looks like random one punch man opening lyrics

It's a close second.

Why must you trigger my nostalgia like this user?

>The series was never completed, ending abruptly after 21 episodes with only eight of the thirteen treasures collected.

I'd forgotten about that. This shall not stand! Time to Savage Worlds this setting and finish what the show started!

Not sure if you knew, OP, but there was a printed RPG for this 20+ years ago. They made a worldbook for Mer, which included a bestiary, but no rules. There were more books promised, but they were never realized.

I had a gm run this in anima

It's a head on head race, really.

The question becomes what system is best for fantastic (aero)nautical adventure?

This seems like the sort of the thing /tg is for. Fill in the details in the setting and craft a BoL style system that makes it a breeze to play.

Im running a game in !notSkies right now.

I would go with traveller, since its orginal setting already has a storn "age of sail" tone and covers anything from stone age tech to lasers and gravity manipulation.

I'm gonna try three separate one-shots with my group. Barbarians of Lemuria, Savage Worlds, and Traveller.

I want this to be the reflexive response to the Hero system from now on. Like the Gurps frog.

It'd practically must include naval combat, which is something few systems do well and few players have even the passing familiarity with.
Sailing in general will always either be completely inconsequential beyond explanation on how you got from place A to B, or require players to have taken a course on navigation to have any idea what's going on.

This one:

riseupcomus.blogspot.com/2016/07/take-me-to-dark-waters_9.html?m=1

Bump for unreal nostalgia

bump

Am I the only one who thinks this would make the basis for an awesome Exalted campaign?

My girlfriend found the series on my hard drive and we watched a random ep. THEN since we were watching other stuff I had to convince her not to marathon it.

Yes, because PoDW is a low-magic setting.

Perfect!

Bump

Fuck. You're right!

i also choose to bump