>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Tomb of Annihilation leaks album
imgur.com/a/iglMj

>Tomb of Annihilation complete official art dump (pdf)
mega.nz/#!JyB0zbhI!UqyuEBdi65FfAWpQYJU8htDvJ8XE4wy_vpLOBQEZXc4

>Tortle Package (pdf)
mega.nz/#!Kgw10Qha!DvWcsgAyGdNFtspYAUNWNCCPrzALIWY36ES9UXWCXRI

>Previous thread:
What's the greatest impact your character or a character in your party has had on the world?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20srd.org/indexes/spellLists.htm
5e.d20srd.org/indexes/spellLists.htm
engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Feats
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What's the greatest impact your character or a character in your party has had on the world?
We saved it. That had a pretty big impact.

Posting again in the non-bait thread; have you ever encountered an Immoveable Rod? If so, what did you do with it?

Kek'd, so what did you save it from user?

Based user

In my last campaign the BBEG created a missile that was basically a magic nuke. My wizard discovered it alone (the rest of the party was out of town) while it was still under construction and decided to destroy it. So I cast 2 fireballs at it to destroy it, which detonated the payload and leveled the entire capital city.
Oops.

>what did you do with it?

Yes.

We did nothing with it.
The DM put it there for us to disable a specific trap with it, but when we encountered said trap, we just used our brains and other nonmagical tools at our disposal to disable it and then the DM was like "But I put the rod there for you guys to use it here!"

>And nobody ever touched it again

Well, now you have a free rod.

So you didn't use it at all? Kudos for thinking your way around the trap and all but didn't you find it useful for anything later on?

No.
The game just kind of fizzled out the next session, so no further opportunities came up.

Trick a monster into eating it and let it rip holes in them as they try to move around.

What are tortles from? Why did they think they were ok? A tortle warrior can have with the right figthing style (Mariner) and a shield 19 AC at level 1, a Mystic Tortle with the right order (Avatar) and psionics discipline can have 22 AC level 1.

The ac for the fighter is right (17+2 shield), I forgot to erase Mariner

Maybe it's because I am devoid of creative thought, but I geniunely don't know what to do with one and can't even really envision how it's supposed to function.

Your average level 1 fighter can have chainmail (16), shield (+2), and Defensive fighting style (+1) for 19 AC.
Mystic is mystic and we all know it's not balanced.

Mariner is... what?

Salt the world! Making thing on the surface dead.

Idk why it's not 13+con or something. 17 ac level 1 with the only potential drawback being +2 strength (i.e. non-strength characters won't benefit that much) is just dumb. Barkskin is a level 2 spell with concentration and 1 hour duration, level 2 spells from racials are generally reserved until at least level 3 and are usable once per day.

We got a goddess of death killed (fucking up dying and resurrection) and her afterlife (an orb of souls which were a community and library as opposed to a hive mind) absorbed by a necromancer who was forcibly made to serve the god of death, the goddess' brother who wants to make everything part of an undead hivemind. Well I say we but it was our idiot bard who didn't tell us about a ring he was given that was made out of a WMD that we knew was meant to tear a hole between the planes. We're trying to fix it though, we're in an astral prison trying to break out a forgotten god who was the goddess' champion although right now we're dealing with the slime pope and the mother of lycans who just so happens to be the daughter of Fenrir the world-eater.

Sacrificed himself to defeat the last BBEG because we failed to stop the ritual that let him ascend to godhood, while he was still "transitioning" we had a narrow window to bring him down and seal him or the next campaign would be set dealing with a dark god this side of the divine gate. Was wielding a greatsword that was a shard of Pelor's armor left from before the gods were sealed behind the gate, used it to pray for assistance and was offered it in channeling a sliver of his might. The drawback was I'd be consumed, burned from existence and possibly not even able to join him on the plane of Elysium. It was really the only time my paladin shined, I played him as someone who pushed others to greatness, so it was one final duel that I barely won, the only time the "old man of Pelor" took center stage.

Because letting 1 stat control AC and HP without the need for another stat is too defensively powerful.

Say hello to Stone Sorcerer, which AC calculation is just that, it allows shield and add 1hp per level as subclass feature

that 17 AC is good, but the rest of what they get (withdraw into shell) is actually pretty fucking terrible if you spend time to analyze it, +4 AC, but prone, speed 0, and cant take actions is just asking for a slow death.

Drawback being it is sorcerer.

yeah but that's tied to a d6(+1) hit die class.

Give me your Tortle builds, barbarian seems nice, nice high AC and an AC most barbarians will probably be the highest they reach (17/19 with shield). Also, since they count as XGE, you can use the material out of that book to build them as well. So whatever subclasses make it into there, like say the zealot.

Flat 17 is just better though, unless we're talking really high level in which case nothing matters.

anything other than Shadow Monk is wrong.

Say hello to unreleased UA material

One of my favorite items. Always ask for it when I can
I've used it to:
Bar doors before long rests at inns and dungeons with doors.

Playing a Wizard with Alert, was only person that got to react to large, falling stone doors about to slam shut. Moved to the spot 30ft away and activated the rod, keeping us from being trapped

Same wizard: Cast Tasha's on a small bone dragon. On the following turn slid it between two of its rib bones while it was incapacitated and prevented it from moving (unless it wanted to break its ribs) while party attacked other enemies.

Many more stories, but it's uses are varied and great.

>see the ToA pdf is up
>it's a full digital pdf and not some scan

Did I miss something? I admit it's been a while since I checked on 5e for the past few months but has WotC always provided digital versions of their published adventures?

Can I get some opinions on which AC calculation 5eg is cool with and which is not? I'll enumerate them:
Unarmored defense (Monk, Awakened): 10+Dex+Wis, no armor no shield
Unarmored defense (Barbarian): 10+Dex+Con no armor no shield
Lizardfolk armor: 13+Dex, no armor
Goblin:11+Dex no armor no shield
Dragon Sorcerer: 13+Dex, no armor no shield
Stone Sorcerer:13+Con, no armor
Redemption Paladin: 16+Dex, no armor no shield
It should be the complete list

first session of my totally-not-path-of-exile campaign went pretty well. everyone said they enjoyed it, but they didn't attempt to rp at all. they just listened to what the npcs said and went to do it.

How do I encourage more RP?

So tortle is on printed books and it's all good, unreleased material which probably won't evem bother to adjust isn't?

Pretty sure that's what I said, yes.

>unreleased material which probably won't evem bother to adjust
Are you dumb?

Except, as says, the "won't bother to adjust" part. If it's released, it will probably be after some changes.

Barbs can use shields

Sorry I fucked up

Using Path of Exile as inspiration isn't the best idea, as it's about discovering bits of lore and hacking and slashing everything.

But ask your players "what would your characters say/how would your characters say it."
RP takes time.

Have yet to encounter one, but I had some ideas.

>use two to make an infinite ladder
>two in a /\ formation to pin prisoners to the ground

Could you hide one behind a shield to prevent knockback of sorts? Or build a weapon around one, for last-minute parry defense?

Oh, I guess we're over here now? Fair enough.

Does anyone have any good 5e Thri-Kreen homebrew? It sounds like we're going to be waiting for a long time for anything official.

DM for an old group liked to roll random loot tables. At 12th level, we got our second immovable rod. I played a rogue/bard muticlass who grew up in a travelling circus. In that moment, the height of walls and distance of gaps ceased to matter to me.

To give my players a challenge in combat, i find myself needing to make them fight creatures that should be much much stronger than them. For example, to challenge my 4 level 5 PCs, i was throwing things at them with a cr of 10-12. Is this normal???

Is there a way to give my monk shield proficiency without multiclassing?

What additional class would be best for a chef lizardman drunken master? I'm thinking some kind of barbarian?

>Goblin:11+Dex no armor no shield
u wot
>Unarmored defense (Barbarian): 10+Dex+Con no armor no shield
>Dragon Sorcerer: 13+Dex, no armor no shield
Both can use shields

>CLANG
What the hell was that?

>Is there a way to give my monk shield proficiency without multiclassing?
Why would you want to? Shields interfere with monk unarmored AC.

Why do you get so many ASIs if they cap at 20? Wouldn't the logic be to have fewer ASIs so your stats increase more gradually?

Just put them in a situation that gets a reaction from them. You have no idea how effective it is to challenge a player via NPCs via threats or just mindgames. I had similar passive players who just listenend to NPCs but then I started having NPCs who would doubt the party and challenge their beliefs and it would get a rise out of them to RP.

Had a paladin in the party, made an NPC so disgruntled that the paladin's order isn't all that since the village they're in always gets plagued by bandits and goblin raids. Made the player all fired up and wanted to prove to the NPC he can save this village.

Another thing you can do is just simply say "roleplay it" after an NPC has his say. Prod them to ask questions, give them some lead in to roleplay. Some players need that nudge. Like I go to my Fighter and said "Hey, you said you wanted to find perhaps you can ask this guy?" Sure, it won't get them to speak long discourse wit hthe NPC but it's a start. A year later now my table is the noisiest when it comes to social encounters and even the most shy one in the table is taking charge in roleplay.

>Is there a way to give my monk shield proficiency without multiclassing?
Moderately Armored feat

Gotta give room for tables who go for Feats since it requires ASI to be used.

Fuck, I forgot about that. I mean, he wouldn't actually lose any AC, but if I boost his wisdom stat at any point I'd be losing out a bit.

I just wanted to go full Dungeon Meshi on him, since he got a flametongue dagger and alchemy jug last session.

>receives what is essentially a fire-starting kifespatula
>and a jug that can produce mayo without prep
>immediately makes a grilled cheese sandwich on the spot, before paying for it

user I...

>Gotta give room for tables who go for Feats since it requires ASI to be used.
If they wanted people to take feats why not just give everyone a feat so character building is more interesting? Especially given that half the feats give ASIs as part of their benefit.

Fighting Style: Mariner (UA)
As long as you are not wearing heavy armor or using a shield, you have a swimming speed and a climbing speed equal to your normal speed, and you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Best environment for a PC base?

Wasn't feat bloat a problem that surfaced in 3.PF days? I can imagine WotC not wanting to go down that route so by RAW Feats aren't as easily to stack on a character as before.

Tortles are retarded shit as are most of the races in 5e. Elf. Dwarf. Orc. Human. That is what is acceptable. I am so sick of these fucking niggers who think they are allowed to play whatever they want in my campaigns. No, your shitty tengu is not allowed. No, your ratfolk is not allowed. No, your catfolk is not allowed. No, your tiefling is not allowed: that is a literal fucking demonspawn. Why the fuck would that be allowed in any campaign, let alone this one? No, you cannot play a drow. You will be shot on sight on the surface. Half these fuckers don't even read Drizz't so they have no excuse for wanting to play a drow, besides "lol it's different." Fuck different. Here's the thing: your race is the most boring fucking part of your character. Unless you do something interesting with it (which 90% of these stupid cunts don't do), then you are just weighing down the game. When you have a thri-keen, some homebrew furry shit, a tiefling and some fuck who wants to play kender, you know what? Fuck this. I made a setting that actually feels somewhat like the real world because it doesn't have 90 different races running around like it's motherfucking Mos Eisley cantina. It's not my fault that YOU are a bad roleplayer who can't be satisfied playing something out of the core book. Create an interesting character, and you can play as a human for the rest of your RPG career. I had groups that were entirely human yet they had personalities that seemed like real people. But no, no one wants to lump in 30 homebrew races plus 60 official wizards of the coast crapshit races they pump out like chocolate because they know it will keep people entertained and requires zero effort on their part

The woods, dog. Robin Hood had the right idea, he's the OG.

Are they playing any homebrewed stuff?

It depends. If they've built strong characters and if you don't play to win, then yes.

CR assumes an average strength party of 4 and a DM willing to ruin the party's day. Also, if they get a long rest between every encounter, they get used to being willing to spam attacks. Give them a very long day. No time for rests. They'll have frontloaded all of their abilities and struggle against even weaker opponents at the end.

>feat bloat
Didn't exist. Only existed because of fighter bonus feats, or too many feats, depending on your opinion. Just give them one per 4 levels. Problem solved. Stop using 3.5 as a strawman as if the only options for handling feats are 5e and 3.5. It's not like giving characters feats by default means UH OH AUTOMATIC FEAT BLOAT. Problem is, the devs think that way, as well as most of the dumbfuck faggots on Veeky Forums who think that anything like what 3.5 has is automatically bad because of meme-tier hatred, even though most of Veeky Forums doesn't even understand why 'feat bloat' was even a thing.

A cold temperate climate where it snows easily. I love me my comfy warm keeps.

Why are there two threads?

I wanna GM a oneshot. Haven't really played much dnd before, how crucial is it to read the dungeon master book? Does it have GM-specific rules or is it more of a guide for new GMs with some important difficulty charts here and there?

>my idea of fantasy is so narrow-vision towards tolkien fantasy that I can't stand the idea of anything else being used as a fantasy race other than these 4.

You're a dirty hobo.
also, i'm so sick of those that my setting actually has humans as a minority (they were majority on their continent then blew up their continent) and had to move to more savage lands. Elves are more like how the greek statues look in terms of physique, utterly tall and ripped. Dwarves I haven't decided on yet, orcs might be gone, halflings and gnomes are gone completely, no decision on tieflings, genasi are common as they have their own kingdom, though not called genasi. A few OC races, etc.

sick of tolkien fantasy, i want swords and sandals with some fantastic elements to it.

>Why are there two threads?
The other was /pol/-bait that immediately deteriorated into rampant shitposting

It's a copypasta ya dingus
see

The game expect adventuring day with 6-8 encounters. If they have only one encounter in day, they gonna roll over anything you put in the way, unless it is insanely OP. Actually read the rules, user.

>disallowing php material
I was fine up until that point.

From what I've heard, the Monster Manual is more important than the DMG as far as DMing goes. I guess you can make do without a DMG with some imagination, statblocks are a different story.

>Didn't exist. Only existed because
shit man, you couldn't even go two sentences without contradicting yourself?

>nobody is recognizing this pasta
Sad!

To those of you that DM over the internet, do you prefer to utilize notes kept on your computer, or written down on paper in front of you, or some sort of division of labor between the two (such as monster blocks online and narrative on paper and vice versa)?

I'm going to be DMing over Discord pretty soon and I'm not sure which approach might be best for me.

The DMG is not absolutely necessary. But you have to have a plan. And be able to think on your feet.

The bloat was more because of the sheer number of feats in the system. The number you got was more or less fine, generally you would want one or two more than you had which often led to many tables allowing two starting flaws for a feat each.

I prefer paper notes. But anything that might have to be shown to players gets a digital copy. I'm faster at shuffling through papers than through files

Any good homebrew feats? We've been turning to the PHB but I wonder if there's any good ones in the DMGuild or some others. Something that is as good as pdf related.

Thank you, user.

DMG is more of the second case, but you really should go though it some time. Not necessarily read it cover to cover, but certainly check it.

Great use of the rod there! More stories? Also the hideous laughter's a good idea but wouldn't the creature get an investigation roll to find the button?

Same with the pinning idea here? Assuming the people being pinnedsaw you press them. Also I have a rod and I was kind of hoping I could hollow out a quarterstaff and slide it up inside fora parry bonus, think it would work?

This is how we found ours, we tracked three ogres to their lair and found one stuck outside in the rain. Turned out he'd swallowed a druid whole. What he didn't know is the druid had a Rod concealed about her person, and with her dying breath -
>CLICK

I'd be careful with homebrew feats if I were you. What are your players looking for specifically?

d20srd.org/indexes/spellLists.htm

Is there a reason there's no warlock spell list here?

>have 4 arms
>can still only attack once more as a bonus action
Enjoy poison i guess

What I'm thinking is just having session notes in a Word Doc that I can scroll or Ctrl-F through depending on, say, who they talk to. I worry that with paper notes, I actually will spend too much time flipping through paper.

But then I also hate hate HATE needing to switch between a bunch of windows on my computer so right now I'll probably use paper notes and see how it goes. It's just area descriptions, NPC notes, and some potential actions; I have a separate journal for dungeon maps.

I admit, we don't have something specific but I guess it's just that we want to have more choices beyond the published ones we have. You're right though about homebrewed feats being such a mixed bag of being complete shit to completely broken which is why I asked if there happen to be a set of homebrewed feats that was widely considered good or passable akin to how /5eg/ approved of that warlock pdf I posted above.

I don't want the race for the crunch benefits it doesn't get

>want to post about or get feedback on ideas for the campaign you're running
>have no idea of knowing whether your players are in the thread

Warlock wasn't core class in 3.5e

It is here:
5e.d20srd.org/indexes/spellLists.htm

Notice, that that site contain only fragment of rules, subclasses, subraces and even spells - some of it are just not free.

I'm sure they aren't user, and even if they are just keep it vagueish and I'm sure they won't notice. Penny for your thoughts?

Yeah, i did, and they still aren't struggling. I try to discourage long rests in dungeons as well, still have to bump up the c

Bladesinger 2/Fighter 2?

>Bladesong (+INT AC and shit)
>light armor and rapier + wand or 2x shortswords
>blade cantrips scale off character level
>fighting style
>action surge to cantrip twice

Hmm now that I think about this, it's just the same as going EK except you have a shield instead of bladesong, i.e. total shit

maybe bladesinger/monk is better

Not that I know of I'm afraid. There aren't that many feats, homebrewed or not, in 5e.
But you can always rework or homebrew some existing feats to better fit a character.
engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Feats

I agree, user.

Well, to anyone reading, if the term "Epoch" means something significant to you, don't read the spoilers, even though I won't give too much away.

Our adventure is starting soon, and the players are going to come up against a clan of thieving ratfolk that worship a trickery god, so some of them will have cleric levels. The dungeon is going to be the catacombs beneath a bombed-out town that was ruined years before, but still serves as a busy point of necessity for travelers because it's right between the border of two countries.

So what I'd like to ask /5eg/ is:
Are Goblins or Kobolds better picks to refluff as ratfolk? And what kind of puzzles, traps, or creative obstacles can I put into a series of catacombs that are built into coastal cliffs? So it can be kind of sewer-y, kind of "underground wharf" vibe too.

there's is a Feats UA, use that

Any house rule ideas in granting Feats? All my players keep rolling Human Variant in chargen to the point that that's what all they'll play as due to the free feat. I'm tempted to house-rule that they get free feats at level 1 no matter what race they pick and do the RAW of getting them via ASI. Other ideas? I've been told that a player can get into training by an NPC and do some crazy-ass task to get a feat. Another told me to go the way of 3.pf and grant a feat every odd levels.

Though I read this one crazy hook where there was an abandoned wizard tower dungeon that housed a Potion of Feat which granted a feat on consuming but it was mixed up with Potions of Feet that upon consumption turned you into a humanoid-sized foot.

>So what I'd like to ask /5eg/ is:
kobolds

How are the feats in the UAs? I'm aware they're playtest material so I wanna know if some of the feats there won't be subjected to abuse by my players.