/nwg/ naval wargames general

Fitting out edition.

Talk about botes, bote based wargaming and RPGs, and maybe even a certain bote based vidya that tickles our autism in just the right way.

Games, Ospreys and References (Courtesy of /hwg/)
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming

Models and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/LcD16k7s

Rule the Waves
mega.nz/#!EccBTJIY!MqKZWSQqNv68hwOxBguat1gcC_i28O5hrJWxA-vXCtI

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

paulallen.com/watch-live-tour-uss-indianapolis-wreck/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=USS_Indianapolis
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There is literally nothing wrong with French ships.

Which ones? The WW2 era vessels which were failed by their leadership? Or the pre WW1 fleet that suffered from far too many one off designs as well as a host of other problems?

If the former I agree. If the later you're an idiot and a troll.

>not liking a fleet of one off designs with different speeds, armament layouts, dozen or so different calibers and weird hullforms

Pre-WW1 French fleet is perfect, so much weirdness and nonsensical designs.

I meant that I think they're cute and shouldn't be bullied for looking weird.
Jap ships deserve to be bullied though.

I agree with the first portion of your statement but violently disagree with the second.

If Japanese ships don't deserve to be bullied then why are they all so bulliable?

Define "bulliable". Your dick-nosed face is eminently bulliable imo but definitions vary so I want to know why you feel the need to label Japanese ships bulliable when the French as somehow untouchable in your metric.

That speed!

With RtW, I've seen it mentioned in a couple of places but not the manual that forgoing colonies as reparations gives you a monetary bonus instead. Is this true?

I don't remember that ever happening to me but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in RtW in an attempt to make wars against Austro-Hungaria worthwhile outside of farming prestige.

I love these colorized photos.

French ships = cute ladies in highly unfortunate situations, therefore not suited for bullying
Japanese boats = bloated ungainly monsters that need to be bullied whenever possible, disgusting in both looks and function

>tfw neither one of the spains that come with rtw list japan as potential enemy

Seems like a pretty major oversight, a weakened European power like Spain with couple far eastern colonies that it can barely hold-on would make a perfect target for Japan and produce plenty of interesting scenarios for Spain.

Yes, it's true.
It's actually double the worth of colonies.
Although, colonies also get removed from their previous owners, so it might just be a case of different PoV ...
Still, I'll keep on taking double cash, thank you.

>realize that i'ven't had a rn playthrough in quite a while
>start a new one, fleet size to max and historical resources
>take one look at the tonnage on the foreign stations and all the places that i've to garrison
>realize why i'ven't played as rn in quite a while

>dat tumblehome

Thats why I love playing as France. France has a few colonies that you have to defend so action can take place around the globe, but you don't have to manage 15 different zones like the RN. They also have a decent budget and the inconsistent naval policy isn't that bad at all.

Probably the sexiest hull shape known to man.

So they lose their colonies too? Bit of a shame. I was hoping to play as AH, fight Italy, then go for their Med territories in round 2.

So I guess they posted footage of Indianapolis now, so enjoy.

paulallen.com/watch-live-tour-uss-indianapolis-wreck/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=USS_Indianapolis

Playing a game as A-H and just stomped the 'sketti's and took Sardinia. Hoping i dont have to fight france any time soon, they can blockade me super easy right now.

Who was in the wrong here /nwg/?

Eh, i use both lategame. My BC's just tend to get built heavier than any of the CA's i normally build. CA carry 10's and my BC carry 12+, i think there is a place for either one. BC's are tons of fun to stack a deck with though.

Bad explanation.
If you take a colony: 1 point = +25000$ to you, -25000$ to the enemy.
If you don't take a colony: 1 point = +50000$ to you, 0 change for the enemy.

So if you want to just weaken somebody, take the colonies.
But if you really want the cash (and bigger battles - since the enemy gets to keep the colonies and all the associated revenue) - take the money instead.

Lategame CA's are there just to kill CL's, IMHO.
With a decent armor, and tons of 7 or 8 inch guns, even 10kt CA slaughters enemy CL's easily.

10-inch late game CA's are there to keep the AI honest. They murder-mill everything but proper late-game capital ships. Well, they murder 1st gen BCs, can beat 2nd Gen BCs if you start getting lots of plunging fire hits (which you should) or win the mexican standoff at close range, and should probably run away from 3rd gens.

If you get +1 10-inchers and have elevated, no reason not to smile and lay some down though.

>should probably run away from 3rd gen BC's

Yeah, that's a problem, right there.
IMHO, late game BC's can easily slow down, and then catch up & sink, any CA/CL on the high seas.
So what's the point in building them big, anyway?
10 to 13 ktonners are just enough to reliably sink CL's without making too big a dent in my OOB when they (inevitably) run into a BC.

I find that I build two kinds, simultaneously- something that's like a 9kt pocket battleship but with legs, and super-cruisers.

>9kt pocket battleship with legs

Now I have to ask: basic stats, please?

Interested as well.

() here.
Here's my 'CL hunter' example: (as Chin China) 10,000 tonnes, 32 knots, 12x1 6" guns (spread all over), 180 ammo, 4" Belt, 2" 'turret' armor, Torp protection 2, no secondaries or torps.

Quad turrets are dumb.

No user, you are the dumb. big botes are sexy in almost all their forms. Especially with quads (though i prefer a 3-2-2-3 layout myself)

I'm not saying they're not sexy. But they're also dumb. Like a vapid meathead/bimbo.

Just look at King George V against the Bismarck. Quad turrets just don't perform well in practice.

The KGV fired 50 Salvos over 30 minutes with almost 100% availability at the Bismarck and only then began suffering problems, that's actually pretty stellar by BB standards in WW2.

Do you mean the PoW? She'd had her guns installed about a month before meeting the Biscuit and had only practice fired them once, she could've had her guns in single turrets and still have had trouble keeping them firing.

The Dork even maintained a good rate of fire again the Shiny Horse despite steaming into a Force 10 Gale during that engagement.

> The KGV fired 50 Salvos over 30 minutes
And after those 30 minutes A turret failed completely and silenced 40% of the ship's main battery for the next 30 minutes. It's only a good performance if you ignore the parts where it failed.

If you're playing as Japan, Italy, or Austria-Hungary, and you're not planning on leaving your home waters, can you get away with short range on most of your ships?

sure. Japan is almost certainly going to leave their home water though since you're night next to southeast asia where there's lots of goodies but usually low amount of ships there.

For now I'm mostly planning on just beating up Russia, and their stuff is in the northeast.

Two triple turrets, 3-inch secondary battery, fast

x6 10 in, x12 3 inch, 28 knts, medium range 9000 tons most recent

>Sir, man overboard!
>Well, reach in and fish him back out dammit!

Besides speed, are there any other effects of low freeboard in rtw? Like are freeboards easier to sink?

Don't as well in shit weather conditions as non-low freeboard boats.

>Don't as well in shit weather conditions as non-low freeboard boats.

Only casemates, though.
Turrets are A-Okay.
OTOH turrets are shit at that time frame, and you'd otherwise do well to avoid them.

>italy vs UK
>fleet battle
>the enemy can't bring their full fleet in zone because of logistic limitation
>battle going well
>isolate one enemy B
>start destroying the ship with carousel of B
>while dead in the water the enemy battleship launch a single torpedo
>right into my fleet leader battleship
>1 to 1 battleship sink
>win because i have destroyed more CA
So close...so close...

Fucking torpedoes man...I know that feeling well.

i am still fighting that war
my B caio dulio just survived 400 flooding from a...torpedo(i am early game) and i lost the giulio cesare to 4 torpedo

how 2 play RN?
Do I just keep all my new fancy ships in Northern Europe and Mediterranian then put all my old shit on foreign stations?

you should outfit all your capitals with torpedo protection pretty much the second you get it. It's heavy as fuck but it's worth it since Torpedoes start fairly weak but grow exponentially and can completely fuck shit up after a few years of research.

Keep as little shit as possible on foreign stations - one or two ships while they're in transfer - that's all. Otherwise, they just cruise around for a bit, and then return to Europe, leaving your Colonies defenceless.
In colonies, your best bets are Cruisers - Light or Armored. Send your BB's and DD's only if you're trying to take over a colony.
And, yes, that means you'll have to have a ton of Cruisers.
Which is good news because most of the battles in this game are Cruiser Engagements.

Have Fun!

Personally I would reinforce some of the more remote but important colonies with a 2nd rate colonial battleship or two.

*blocks your path*
what do you do? keep in mind your the japanese navy.

Battleships (and Destroyers) are needed in Europe to either maintain or stop the blockade.
IMHO, they should be deployed in the Colonies only to start a blockade, or to facilitate a takeover of an enemy colony.
Otherwise - that's what Cruisers are here for, after all ...

>what do you do? keep in mind your the japanese navy.

Fly over it in a Val and dive bomb it or a Kate and torpedo it. Easy peasy.

When i try to install RtW it asks for a key, wat do

Buy a copy, use a key from it.

The folder with installer should have a text file called key.

Are...all those side ports for guns?

You guys DO give each nation ship hull a color right? You don't just leave everything grey for boring looking battles right?

Derp.

OK, now that it's installed, is there a "RtW for beginners" or a teaching scenario or anything? How do I into autistic naval sim?

>is there a "RtW for beginners"
No
>or a teaching scenario or anything?
Nope
>How do I into autistic naval sim?
You get your ass kicked until you either get good or quit.

There's a manual, you should definitely read that. However, there's also a ton that isn't explained at all. There will be people in this thread who will say things like "it's an easy game to pick up, it's really intuitive." These people are lying.

Just portholes, late 19th/early 20th century French naval architecture was weird but not that weird.

The only real obtuse part is designing a ship tbqh. Strategically its pretty simple with just fleet placement and events. The game can auto design ships for you though which is really helpful for beginners who don't quite understand how to build proper and efficient ships.

You have three main resources that you need to manage: Money, prestige, and tension. Money is spent to build ships, prestige is what determines if you keep your job (dropping too low leads to you being fired and a game over, try to keep it above 20), and tension determines when war breaks out. If tensions rise above a certain level with a particular nation, you go to war with them.

Embrace your inner bully and pick fights with weaker nations constantly. Tensions with everyone reset when a war ends, so if you intentionally drive up tensions with weaker nations and then beat them in a war, you’ll never have to fight stronger nations. Depending on who you’re playing as, your main bully targets will probably be one of Austria-Hungary, Italy, Japan. If you’re relatively strong, Russia and France are also potential targets. Try to avoid tensions with Britain, the US, and Germany when possible.

The US and Germany make relatively good picks in terms of nations to play as, since they get a good balance of a ton of money and tech without too much of a sprawling empire to defend.

Tbh in my experience Germany can be a worthwhile bullying target if you're Japan, mostly because they've problems with deploying enough of their fleet in the far east to really pose a challenge.

Germany is bully resistant in my experience. They have low colonies but high budget so It's really fucking annoying fighting them in Northern Europe where you'll be facing lots of battleships and armored cruisers. Once you take their colonies in a single war you really should avoid war with them a second time.

Can I beat up Turkey, Brazil, Spain, etc?

Why did Spain turn into a joke and never recover?

They're not in the game. Well, Spain is, but only if you choose to play as them.

America.

Inbred monarchy for one, mismanagement for years in their overseas parts of the empire, getting bullied by better nations. Tons of little things that added up over many years to make them a joke, relatively.

A monarchy that both refused to get with the times and held on to way too much power plus a combination of land owners and the church hoarding the nation's resources for themselves and cooperating to keep the vast majority of the people unable and unwilling to challenge their authority.

Aristocracy, as it turns out, is a really bad way of effectively utilizing your nation's resources in the modern era. It's really important in the industrial era that you be able to mobilize the entire society and have them all contributing in a meaningful way. If a large percentage are poor, starving, illiterate peasants, they're not going to be anywhere near as effective. Remember, the vast majority of every nation's military is made up of people from the lower classes. You go to war with your poorest people, and if those people are miserable, malnourished, and uneducated, you've got a serious problem.

no but you can easily bully AH, Italy, and Japan.

USA is probably the beginner's best choice. Few sea zones to protect but a reasonable and escalating budget with good research prospects. For 1899 ships have a look at some of the starting builds on the forum.