Not using swords

>Not using swords
Have fun being a supporting character in your own story.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanegashima_(Japanese_matchlock)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Actually having to use your sword
Have fun being a supporting character in the diplomancer's story.

>Actually having to use spoken language

>Actually having to think instead of automating your character
01001100 01101101 01100001 01101111

Sorry, the Buick does more damage.

I too enjoy sticking a nasty with a nice sharp bit of metal, but your handle seems a bit short there, user.

I'm sure that's not universal. Didn't Achilles favor a huge spear?

> Not using guns
Have fun being the last samurai.
No sarcasm here, enjoy yourself.

So did multiple Irish heros

>made all swordsman party
>everyone was "rivals" with each other, the town had a big tournament first session where we ended up fighting each other
>the group rivalry dynamic gets really fun
>weeks later we investigate a manor
>the pc that my pc was rivals with got mind controlled into killing my character, I didn't die but was effectively out for the rest of the session
>one of the other pcs slits his throat
>everyone else continued the dungeon and died except for my pc

feels bad

I was expecting a "rivals put aside their rivalry to save the day" story...

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

>supporting character in your own story
I'm already doing that in real life

> Use Sword
>Become main character
>Duel wield sword
>Become Mary Sue
>Remember name
>Lannister Skywalker
>Lose both hands

>Not part of the spear master race.

>not using a javelin, along with a sword and getting into testudo formation

pleb

Faggot

>not trading up for a bo staff and breaking off a giant robot's arm with it
>not having the most powerful weapon of them all: dad jokes

Shame that Kaladin is such a whiny bitch for 60% of both books.

Disappointed!

You should have kept that story to yourself.

>actually having a character instead of just shitposting all day

Oh look, they think they matter to the story.

>actually shitposting instead of just lurking all day

Hercules favored a fucking bow.

He used other weapons on occasion, but his primary weapon was a bow.

Wasn't there a side story in the Iliad about them going to a deserted island to retrieve his bow or something?

The sword as the heroic weapon, I'm pretty sure, originates from King Arthur's two magical swords. Then again, he also had a spear so fuck do I know.

Your muskets and cannons may be strong, but your constitution is weak. Otherwise you would have been able to escape the pathetic epidemic that spread in your Gaijin lands.

You aren't even worth my effort, since illness is going to kill you for us.

Hercules used a bow with poisoned arrows and a club with a shield, yes.

Yes, in fact what they do with Achilles arms is an important part of the story because the remaining heroes start fucking fighting over them and...I forget. someone has to do something drastic

>arthur

Arthurs sword comes from much older celtic myths about Claihm Solais. Ironically MOST celtic myth heros used the spear as well. It was probably something imported by the vikings, since they were the ones who would have had the metallurgy to forge swords and their nobles would have used them. So Dane myth intermingled with celtic myth and roman myth (due to the sword becoming emblematic of Rome after their move away from the phalanx) and gave us SWORD CULTURE

The samurai LOVED guns and John Wick is a faggot

Yeah, I'd love to steal his dog and kill his car.

Maybe in other systems.

In L5R gunpowder (named Gaijin powder) is Heresy.

He just favours his side arm is all.

I think the user was talking about the system "real life".

That movie is BASED. Musket and bayonet Thermopylae.

No matter your weapon of choice, all that matters is the mustache.

Yes, I know.

Because John Wick is a fucking faggot and his setting work is awful

It's like he made a deal with the devil to produce great mechanics but be cursed to always write complete garbage in any supporting material

citation needed then

>actually lurking all day instead of doing something with your life

You are aware that Wick didn't write everything in the L5R 4e setting, yes?

just the shitty parts

he literally inserted himself as a prophet

Hits too close man.

Sengoku Jidai

>Doing something with your life instead of making a character that doesn't need a sword

>not using a whip

>Not using slings
Casuals, all of you

>Not using the best weapon in the system.
Could be a dildo for all i care, Efficiency is my name.

>great mechanics
>john wick

>ranged cancer kites his way to victory
Let's see what happens when the fight starts in arms reach

>Not playing a supporting character
>Not rolling a support wizard that can buff other players
>You will never see a hasted Goliath punch his way through a crowd of cultists while running at sonic speeds.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanegashima_(Japanese_matchlock)

Better ask Patroclus.

Axes truly are the greatest aesthetic choice

Blunt is life.

>Spiked mace
>"Blunt"
Lmao, how are you going to tenderize your dragons before you eat them with that?

>I'm sure that's not universal. Didn't Achilles favor a huge spear?
Off the top of my head: Samson and Hercules liked clubs. Odin used a spear. Thor had his hammer. Poseidon had his trident. Athena is shown with a spear and shied. Artemis is depicted with a bow and arrow.

Didn't Hercules use a bow more than anything? Used sword and club on the side

>kiting

>As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him. Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground
???

I don't remember. The art I've seen mainly features him with the club, or him strangling the Nemean lion, or holding his bow.

Add Cu Chulainn for another spear user.

Motherfucker charged a heavily armed and armored 8-9 foot tall man wearing nothing but a tunic.

David was hardcore, even as a kid.

The spikes on a spiked mace weren't necessarily sharp in the sense of piercing into someone, they're more there to impart force better and to prevent the mace from slipping I think

Joke's on you. I'm a bladesinger. Have sword, full progression wizard, and I dumped str so I have a decent charisma. I might as well be the DM.

But you learned a few moves? Hit the heavy bag a little?

>sword vs spear.jpg
>2 guys with both sword and spear
Weapon fanboys are cancer. Weapons are tools. You should to know how to use them all, and when you use which.

>wearing nothing but a tunic
It gets better. He actively refused to wear armor because he wasn't used to it.

>Then Saul dressed David in his own tunic. He put a coat of armor on him and a bronze helmet on his head. David fastened on his sword over the tunic and tried walking around, because he was not used to them.

>“I cannot go in these,” he said to Saul, “because I am not used to them.” So he took them off. Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd’s bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine

This kid deserved to get his shit kicked in. Fucking god

Hey man those nonproficiency penalties are really harsh.

>Not picking whichever weapon is best for the situation
I'm sure that Golem is really affected by stabbing user, you keep doing that while I beat it with a warhammer.

Nah, it's cool, I can just hit it with the other end.

See? Works just fine.

He spent it on Performance and musical instruments.

>ThisWasAMistake.jpeg

Actually David makes complete sense. Slings are

>almost laser accurate
>can smash pre-bronze age armor and pose a major threat to bronze armor
>can instantly kill you with a shot to an unprotected face

They are actually more lethal than contemporary bows, however take longer to train. The irony of David's story is that in a proper historical context, it isn't about an underdog winning. It's about a smart boy using his knowledge to eliminate the advantages of a foe and rip him to shreds in an unfair manner by turning the game on its head.

It's more or less the scene from Indiana Jones where he just shoots the swordsman rather than fighting him fairly.

>Gee, you look like you have all the advantages in your preferred way of fighting. How about I don't engage with that?

I blame D&D and other systems that started the whole weapon specialization shit and thus the fanboyism. Now it seems like every game, tabletop or otherwise, will limit martials to a certain kind of weapon or else force them into a disadvantage.

I'm playing a Red Mage with a concealed swordcane, does that count?

He mostly casts from it like a staff and uses it as a walking stick, though.

This.

There are a lot of bad designs that have become representative of the genre, games always feel the need to provide option

If I own a slave that uses a sword, does that count as using a sword?

What if martials could prepare weapons like how spellcasters prepare spells?

No, go Celestial Fire or go home.
Dak'kon was such a good character, I would have liked to see that ''Planescape: Pariah'' off-spin thing the dev team mentioned get somewhere.

I'll accept things like warhammers and axes and spears and shit if they carry a shortsword too.
Because without one, you're fucked in tight quarters.

>not using a big dick handgonne on a stick

Didn't he use a bow just for the hydra? Most of his other trials hardly even involved murderhoboing.

He used a club for the hydra too. He dipped his arrows in the hydra's blood though.

Yeah, Herc tore off hydra's heads with a club.

5e doesn't have anything like that, the problem is that longswords are just fucking good. 1d8/1d10 damage is very good and there's not much weapon variety because "we want things to be simple so we can just say 'You're the DM make something up!' Whenever you have a question"

One of the tome of battle classes had the ability to swap out what weapon their weapon-specific feats were for, but that was late enough into 3.5's lifespan to not really manage to become a thing.

>actually existing

>can smash pre-bronze age armor and pose a major threat to bronze armor
With lead bullet they can even take down fucking cataphracts, nevermind pre-bronze stuff. Slings are fucking lethal from a simple damage point of view. They're just way too hard to train for and have shit range compared to bows.

Which is why it's a perfect weapon for a shepherd who would otherwise have nothing to do but sit with his dick in his hand all day, outside of worrying about animals and bandits.

My literal nigga. Whips are the best. Shame they're invariably depicted as being incredibly

incredibly weak*

No shit. with a good snapper on the end you can flay people alive with one.

Well, what's a whip going to do against an enemy that's moderately armored in any way shape or form

Take his eyes. You have to be VERY well armored, because a whip can target tiny places. Forget what the movies show, because that's NEVER how you use a whip. those movie use whips are about the same as the swordfighting in the movies - not fucking real. A moderately trained novice can start taking leaves individually off a tree in about an hour.

>not using a giant knife

you're never going to consistently hit through the eye-slits of a full-faced helmet often enough for it to matter, and you're never going to stop a weapon in flight with a couple of exceptions

there is a reason whips are not famous in context to real war because a. they are not suitable for battlefields and b. they aren't useful in protecting yourself from arrows/being stabbed

post urumis and i'll end you b*ch

There's a good reason the Carthaginians used Balearic slingers: they were really fucking good with their weapons. As in trained from childhood, "you don't eat until you bop a target off with your sling", good. They carried different slings for different types of shot, from big heavy ones to smaller long-range shot; the big ones were described as "crushing armour and helmets".

Difficult to think that the party islands bred hard bastards like them.

Yet for some strange reason basically no one ever bothered with them in war, and few used anything like it for daily self defence either. It's almost as if in reality whips usually aren't very good at anything but inflicting pain on those who can't fight back. Perhaps for starters we have the fact that it's trivial to poke a mannequin in the eye with a stick, but a lot harder to do the same with a resisting opponent.

>all that matters is the mustache.
>Only one person in that pic has a mustache

>5e will never have viable spears

It's not the oposite extreme of 3.pf where katana is almost strictly the best SINGLE handed weapon in the game for some reason, but it still hurts.