EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Obsolete Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What bizarre or obsolete card do (or did) you regard as a staple?

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=o:": ~ gains"&v=card&s=cname
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for S E C R E T T E C H

I never called it a staple, but the number of ways Swarm Intelligence is better than this makes me said.

It is two colors, so that's a benefit sometimes. And nothing will take away the memories of casting Beck // Call twice with this thing.

>9 mana
>4 colors
>make 8 flying 1/1's and draw 16 cards
I'd play it

Based wurm of running away.

Or Snake Basket, Living Wall, Endless One, hell, all X/Fetch in colorless...any color deck I make becomes colorless.

Here is more obsolescence. Never ran it, but often considered it.

Twelve, but yeah, I loved it. That and Obzedat's Aid and Putrefy and all kinds of stuff. 7 mana winmore, do nothing enchantment. My favorite.

Least it has good art.

Living Wall
Library of Leng
Wall of Spears
Yotian Soldier
Royal Assassin

My group got smart. I used to run this guy all the time and he was a blowout. People would keep sacrificing creatures over and over again, making it huge, filling me with glee, and then, someone realized that if they don't sacrifice anything, it doesn't get any bigger.

Now I run him in exactly two decks Meren and Mimeoplasm. There are two particularly spicy plays with him: 1)overwhelming stampede/pathbreaker ibex for a bunch of +6/+6 buffs on the cheap, particularly with a blighted agent out, or 2) slap triumph of the horde down and laugh your way to the bank.

>What bizarre or obsolete card do (or did) you regard as a staple?

I almost never see other people running pic related, which might just be my favorite card in Magic.

I cut that card all the time. It's good, it's really good, but it does nothing the turn it comes out unless you have a ton of mana. The only reason I like it is because you can cast it super early if you have half-decent artifact ramp.

It's just Timmy as fuck and I love it. I once had 2 copies at once with Clever Impersonator for a few turns

>Cast any spell
>Get a reward

Call me a simple man but that's good enough for me

Why does WoTC use "Ability X" and "Other creatures you control have ability X" instead of the simpler "All creatures you control have ability X"?

Is there some rule I don't know that would make the difference matter?

Other means everything but that card

All means everything and that card

It makes a difference because it doesn't effect the creature being cast.

For example, Urabrask, my favorite monored commander, gives everything haste, including himself, and taps all the opponent's creatures whenever they enter the field. The guy you posted can be costed more aggressively, and I think it's silly that it has trample but gives everything else trample, but I think that's a formatting thing so complete noobs don't get confused.

People argue with me about urabrask all the time, saying he doesn't have haste, and if you format it the same way as that Jackal, there'd be no confusion.

The problem is that they also add the ability for just that card

The pic I posted has "Trample" and "Other creatures you control have Trample"
Wouldn't it be simpler to have "All creatures you control have Trample"?

Avacyn should just read "Permanents you control have indestructible" then? I don't see how that could be confusing even for a new player as long as they knew what the terms meant.

From what I've seen they use it more often on cards with more space that's unused. It makes it very clear that he and all your other creatures have trample, whereas the other way causes idiots to be confused.

I think Avacyn is formatted perfectly. What I didn't like about that jackal is that it has Trample separated into a keyword and a statebased ability, whereas Avacyn's state based ability is perfectly legible, with the added bonus of informing idiots that it also has indestructible.

>the new command zone game knight episode isnt commander again

welp the last thing about the the command zone that wasnt shit has officially turned to shit. is there any other decent commander gameplay out there or nah?

They've tried it both ways and testing has shown it confuses players.

There are also corner case interactions where have the keyword outside the battlefield is relevant.

>searched Avacyn to read how the card is formatted
>all this rule 34
Man this is almost as bad as ink eyes.

>What bizarre or obsolete card do (or did) you regard as a staple?
Darksteel Ingot
its indestructible so I will stoop to the 3 for 1 rock in most decks
feels bad every time I cast it but feels good every time its on the field

It's one of the few recent big name pretty ladies in MtG, I'm not surprised.

It's how Urabrask user said
it's to confirm to retards that the card itself has trample rather than try to get some salty kid to try and lawyer on you.

>Thread question

Oh that's a nice Bolas ultimate you have there my friend, very nice indeed HOWEVER

any rule arguing stories?
>playing an edgar deck in a 1v1 against a freylise at lgs
>Lord of lineage on the field with 3 tokens and patron of the vein
>I use two tolens to block one of his big creatures and they die
>he says I have to reflip lord of lineage because I don't control 5 vamps anymore
>tell him unlike werewolves LoL doesn't reflip unless he dies
>argument goes on so long he scoops and walks to the door
>guy who has played Olivia voldarren for years walks in for modern monday
>freylise player gets all smug and asks him to explain to me how my cards works
>"no, he doesn't reflip. There's no reflip condition on the 2nd side"
>guy leaves even angrier than before

magic players have anger issues
I think it stems from the false premise that "people who play magic are on average smarter than those who don't".
the cognitive dissonance drives people mad

I had a guy yesterday who was absolutely certain that Howling Mine taps when a player draws a card by its ability, because why else would it have the untap clause on it?

There was this one guy who thought that he could sac his lands in response to Titania coming in, so that they'd get her Elemental effect, and then be viable targets for her recursion.
Took the entire table telling him he was wrong for him to relent, and even then he was pissy for the rest of the night.

There was also this (admittedly, quite odd) interaction that took an odd 5 minutes to explain to this one guy.
>Price of Progress is out, player taps lands for mana off-turn, Price of Progress triggers going on the stack, man uses generated mana to activate Soul of New Phyrexia's ability, rendering his permanents indestructible, resolving before the land destruction
The guy just wouldn't fucking understand that the guy was separating the mana generation, and ability activation steps. Which if done together, would have resulted in the destruction of the lands as the Price of Progress trigger would have landed above the activation.

>Price of Progress

Ah, right. Well, a price is a price.

Any suggestions for 5 color Un? What to avoid? What to include? Lots of Un cards are more trouble than are funny, so I want to be more mindful than most when building it.

this. :^)

>5 color Un?
i suggest a noose

unfortunately that is not an un-card.

not that one
this one
its UNdead

It will only be played against my very close friends. I'm not subjecting anyone else to it.

It won't something I bring to play at the LGS.

I cant find a decent list of generic tribal helping cards
im building bant spirit tribal and I know there are some colorless cards that help tribal but I dont know what they are or how to search to it

>last game of the night, two cyclonic rifts, everyone tired
>I'm on Uril, Keranos and Kruphix holding mana
>cast Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
>Kruphix Capsizes
>targetting?
>Ajani
>on the stack
>Uril?
>No
>fine, I'll just let Ajani resolve
>put it down, Kruphix player yells out "Capsize!"
>have to explain priority to someone who's been playing for five years
We should have just called it a night.

On magiccards.info do this:

c!wurgcl -o:{R} -o:{B} o:"creature type"

THANK YOU

Do you already know which Ixalan cards you gonna pick for your decks? I'm thinking about pic related for Edgar as my first upgrades

Yup, learning the search syntax on that site will help you tremendously.

Like "o:: ~ gains".

>HOD prerelease
>have mana dork snek out
>opponent has pic related out
>tap for sweltering suns
>he starts scribbling on his notepad
>"take 2"
>explain that is was a mana ability
>he's relentless, tries to tell me a mana ability is when something costs mana to activate
>google mana ability, and show him
>he doesn't believe me
>call a judge over
>dude is friends with judge bro apparently
>"Joey explain to him what a mana ability is" with a smug grin
>judge bro explains I'm right
>opponent shuts up
>notices I only have 2 lands
>asks to see sweltering suns
>3 cmc
>calls judge bro back over because he thinks I'm cheating
>explain that I used the mana dork that we were arguing about to cast it and it died from suns
>opponent ends up losing later

Feels good man

Forgot pic

Axis of Mortality is going to be my main wincon in Suicide Zur.

Nope! I'm getting the Gaea's Crib for Reki though. Maybe a few more things here and there.

He's now ten dollars. Fuck. Should've gotten the foil earlier.

>Wrestle pic related onto the gallows, slip a noose around its neck and hang it

Is a planeswalker ult and activated ability?

By 3 of these

I don't think Axis of Mortality has really a place in the "typical" Edgar deck, outside as a last resource before losing, like it could have in any deck
Using Sanguine Sacrament means spending, for example, 8 mana for 12 life, which in my opinion is pretty bad, and the proportion get worse with each 1 mana less you think to spend on that card. It obviously gets better if you are willing to spend more, but Edgar can't include green so that mana isn't a problem, and an infinite mana combo would be better spent on winning the match, rather than gain infinite life
What's the point of Bishop of the Bloodstained in an EDH deck when Malakir Bloodwitch already exists? She costs exactly the same, has 1 more power and toughness, flies, has protection from white, target all your opponents instead of only one and makes you gain as much life as all your opponents have lost

It is. It's a special kind of activated ability called loyalty ability

Yes, which is why Rings of Brighthearth lets you copy Planeswalker abilities.

Yes.

not exclusively commander related but a few questions regarding gameplay and card care:
What sleeves do you use?
What kind of binders do you use for your tradeables?
Do you have all your decks in same colour sleeves?

>Like "o:: ~ gains".

But that doesn't do anything. What did he mean by this?

i always though O = Omit

Used to do only KMC Mattes, now I do Dragonshield Mattes.
Ultra Pro.
Nope.

gonna try out mavren, vona, sanctum seeker, bloodcrazed paladin and bishop of rebirth.

o is Oracle text.
-[whatever] is excluding

Dragon shields
a binder I bought from office max 10 years ago
No, but I do try to have decks in similar colored sleeves

Dragon shield matte

Stop pretending to be retarded. It stands for oracle text, not a word that literally means to remove.

>What sleeves do you use?
Dragon Shields in a nice color with a slight preference to matte unless I'm using some fancy image sleeve that fits the deck in which case I use whatever had the right image (Have MaxPro, Chara Sleeve Collection, and UltraPros that have made it thanks to that) + KMC Character Sleeve Guard.
>What kind of binders do you use for your tradeables?
3-ring "D" shaped binders with nine pocket pages, the three pockets closest to the rings intentionally left empty to prevent binder dings. I should really get a real folio at some point.
>Do you have all your decks in same colour sleeves?
Heck no. Right now, all my completed decks have unique sleeves and I mean to keep it that way if I can.

And you didn't ask about boxes, but Ultra Pro Satin Towers are a godsend, they hold 100 double-sleeved just about perfectly.

Missed the quotes.

magiccards.info/query?q=o:": ~ gains"&v=card&s=cname

o:: o:"~ gains" gives you all cards that have an activated ability to give themselves a keyword, for Mairsil/Kraj purposes.

>Stop pretending to be retarded.
you cant make me

Oh yeah i forgot to ask about deck boxes. anyway i should've posted mine in the original post as well.
>Sleeves:
Ultra pro eclipse exclusively, way too good not to use
>Binder:
none, still deciding what to get, for now my tradeables are all double sleeved in boxes.
>Colours:
Nope, i have them all in either the colors the deck is or a mix of the multiple colours.
>Box:
Ultimate guard monolith x3 and the rest are all those 120 Ultra pro pro boxes that take 2 edh decks.

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like eclipse sleeves but that matte front bothers me way too much.

if i had to nitpick that would also be my only issue with them, my foil zendikar lands dont look as good in them, buuuut, they never stick and are butter smooth with shuffling

is it just me or are the matte dragonshield sleeves REALLY lacking in quality lately?

They accidentally put two : in it.

>sleeves
I've tried Dragon Shield Gloss, KMC Matte, Ultra Pro Eclipse in that order and every future purchase will be Ultra Pro Eclipse
>binders
Don't have one because we always play at my place
>sleeve colors
Different ones for each, it's more fun and sometimes thematic

No, that's intentional. The first is search syntax, o: searches Oracle text, the second is for Oracle text formatted with a : which is activated abilities.

>Sleeves
Generally Dragon Shields, but as long as they last me at least a year I'm not really picky.
>Binder
Used to have a small one for value and a larger one for general rares and legendary creatures, but now I just keep the relatively valuable stuff in a regular one and the rest just stays in my holiday box.
>Sleeve colors
Does anyone actually sleeve all their decks in the same color? Because I sure as hell don't.
>Box
Really depends on how much value I put into the deck. Precons and jank decks just live in sleeves in my holiday box, the decks I've spent a little money on get Dragon Shield boxes, and my one high-end deck is double sleeved in a Satin Tower.

Oh, the mistake was the placement of the first quote.

It's because the creature doesn't have the keywords outside the battlefield if it's worded like "all x have y", which can be relevant. There's also pic related.
Even Avacyn has been errata'd.

Just because i love the art...
idc if the card meh

So I usually play slower decks and have never needed a fast mana base, I've been fine with lands that come into play tapped for these decks. But now I've built something that's a lot faster and my typical mana base doesn't cut it.

I don't want to drop tons of money though... My deck is like $100 or so worth of cards, I would rather not drop another $100 on lands for it. Should I run mostly basics with just some of the cheaper lands that don't etb tapped?

What colors?

>Even Avacyn has been errata'd.
To be fair, Indestructible wasn't a keyword when she was first printed (It was a quality, which had to be spelled out as "[Subject] is Indestructible")

Grixis

>Needing multicolor Blue

Yeah, that could get rough.

The shock lands are only like $10 each right now

Run your painlands, checklands, and Odyssey/C16 Signetlands. If you're tricolor allied this is 8 good duals under 5 bucks per, if you're in enemy tricolors you'll pay a little more for the checklands and will only get one signet-land Sprinkle in some good, cheap any-lands: Command Tower, City of Brass, Mana Confluence, Aether Hub, Tendo Ice Bridge, and/or Forbidden Orchard. If you're still struggling a little with color access you can grab filters that ETB untapped and tap for colorless on their own like Unknown Shores and Opal Palace. They're not great since they set you a little back if you need colorx RIGHT NOW but they're more versatile than straight up ETB tapped.

This will rack up something of a bill, but it will be a lot more sane than if you start grabbing shocks and fetches.

cards that look bad but do an insane amount of work
>tfw my meta was green decks vs blue decks to the point where this was an auto include for over a year

Muh nigga but do you have it foil?

Sulfurous Springs
Shivan Reef
Underground River
Sulfur Falls
Dragonskull Summit
Drowned Catacomb
Darkwater Catacombs
Shadowblood Ridge
Command Tower
City of Brass
Mana Confluence
Forbidden Orchard
Exotic Orchard
Opal Palace
Aether Hub
+20 Basics

Try that on for size.

burnished hart

>only

So you just dump absurd amounts of money into this silly game then? That's your priority as an adult?

get that grixis panorama

the panoramas are criminally overlooked for budget landbases

Get a job

>$10
>absurd amounts of money

Bro, are you OK? That shits less than I pay for a meal. Do you live in some 3rd world country, or are you just unemployed?

$10 is literally a lunch meal out at a restaurant, just don't eat out as much you'd be surprised how much free money you have. Plus you only need 3.

If you don't want to cough up money for an essential part of your deck just play mono

I for one always forget they tap for freeking mana, which makes them a LOT better.

Not him, but if all your nonlands are little more than $100 it might seem absurd to some to drop 30 on 3 cards worth of shocks to drive them forward when more budget alternatives exist.

>$10
>At least 20 non basic lands in a deck

"only" $10 a land would be $200, for those of us not paying for magic with our mother's credit cards, that's way too much money to spend on a silly game.