WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

Previous Thread(s):

Anyone have any guides for painting Ivory?
I have an Inquisitor Greyfax model that'd look sweet with Ivory plate armour.

Necromancer Warband Update

Tentatively finished The Big Guy, still deciding if I want to corrode and rust his blade or leave it nice.

Also trying to decide how much or how little snow I want on his base so that it doesn't distract from him.

I put him next to a regular skeleton for scale.

progress on the terminators
painted the black today, they look much better with this stage done
getting there!

Nice heresy word bearers m8

hey bros... does anyone know where to find the "how to pain tyranids" ebook/pdf? I'm really struggling with these

check the warhammer 40k general megas

thank you. be blessed by the emperor

Love the white faces. Which chapter?

Thanks, they are Exorcists though, not WB :)

Build up the right side to the 16th layer of cork today. Decided to layer up in full cork, which resulted in me running out of it and I had to stop scaling up the sidewall by the 12th layer. So no more progress on the board until I get more.

With teenage celestine and her two companians up front, the three models behind them appear a little bit too low. But those are placeholder for different raptor conversions, which are lacking their bases. Said bases will address the height problem.

Crisp and clean user, very nicely done.

Looks good! Is there a technique to cutting the recesses? I'm planning on doing my own cork topped board for AoP soon so I'd be keen to know how the circle cutting was done!

I put the base down where I needed it's hole, and circled it. Then I just poked through the cork along the inner line of the circle. It should be obvious, but you want to leave more space between the edge of the cork and the hole than I did in a lot of cases, if you wnat an easier time. Depending on how well you poked down, you might have to break some away from the inside. Also, cut it out before gluing the cork down.
Another thing, I thought all bases had the same height, measered the 25mm bases to be 3mm high, only to notice that 32mm bases already have a height of 4mm by the time I got the cork.

Cheers mate.

Working on my wings for a hive tyrant. Doing a stipple or whatever it's called to apply slannesh grey on deamonette hide. Halfway there

Looks good! Nice to preserve the shading at the bones.What do you plan for the carapace?

White on black carapiece. I'm making snow nids.

So I'm starting a USAriadna force, and I have no idea how I wanna paint them. I need some inspiration /wip/. Help!

Not exactly original, but engineseer wip.

Damn dude nice conversion!

Got a dollar store skull and was working on bashing it into some terrain, but I'm kinda stuck. What kindsa cool things should go on the cool giant skull treehouse?

recent reaper mini i painted of a character from my last D&D game. "Kenku and the Bugbear in the Morning", kenku warlock of the Quid Pro Crow. normally it fought with 2 daggers, but it did have a staff so pretty close overall.

A fedora-like balcony/rooftop

No, a top hat.

Fuck it. I need a project. Roll to see what it is

This lol random shit is so cringe inducing. Get creative on your own god damn initiative or just watch fucking tv or something

bird's nest in the eye socket?
Altar with minor offerings below?

Looks good, are you gearing up for Ghost Archipelago?

God forbid some just has fun with his hobby.

You could try to look up some guides on painting Deathwing since their armor is usually close to ivory colored

>black is nice
>base is nice
>ivory is thick and shit
hot damn dude

The black is nice because it's Vallejo black which you can't fuck up because it's the closest thing to liquid sex you can get. The ivory isn't as thick in person, it's mostly because it was my shitty phone camera, but cut me some slack, man, Zandri Dust and Ushabti bone are frustrating to work with.

yea i know. thats why i dont touch the shit.
why did you get vallejo black but not the vallejo equivalents of the dust and bone?

Because I already had the GW paints. I bought Vallejo black since I rand out of Abbadon Black and it was cheaper. I'm going to be buying Vallejo from now on though because I'm sick of working with the citadel pots and the paints are usually easier to work with anyway.

ah.
ive fallen in love with vallejo recently, only downside is that they just dont have gw equivalents so i have to buy the gw ones.

>fun

More like shitting up threads. Literally nobody with a brain cares about that shit, because they don't participate. Those who do participate don't care about anyone else's "post" (roll) but their own. The only person who cares is the dumbass who starts the roll because he's the equivalent of a instagram camwhore attention slut bitch.

The only good things to come out of shitposts like that is when someone scores dubs or trips with a hilarious answer.

fair, but on the other side of it this "rolls/dubs" stuff comes across as pandering/dredging the bottom of the barrel for (you)s about 95% of the time

i meant when they dont have the equivalents*
fuck

Yeah, I couldn't find a Vallejo blue that was dark enough to match Kantor blue the other day which was a little dissapointing, gonna be a little difficult when I start running out of my GW paints and have to try to match up the colors I need.

Maybe Old Deffy will get some replies this time. He's getting lonely in his 2nd day of life.

I made this from spare parts from the Dread Deff Kit and an old dreadnought. It's my second ever Looted vehicle conversion; mostly just because I had way too many old tanks models to abuse.

have you tried VGC 72.020 Imperial Blue? that's what i use/

Dark Prussian Blue

Necromancer Warband Update

Finished a couple more models this afternoon/evening.

The sculpt of this model is so cool and so perfect for painting easily, no little fiddly spots to try to get your brush. I really like his hammer.

he's pretty neat! paint him

I'll look at those, thanks for the suggestions.

I will once I'm up at uni...and once I get bored painting up 70 second hand boyz.

I also finished this ghostly wraith which really only took two minutes. Just thinned down some of the Oxide GW technical paint and did a bit of a thinner wash with it then wiped away what was on the raised surfaces.

painting textured and faceted "stone" surfaces is so satisfying - easy to get a great result with little tension/sweat - had a blast painting river troll weapons

i use imperial blue, pretty damn close.
pic related, shoulders are imperial blue with a gulliman wash

Last major step for the evening was getting these last two guys base coated.

Once they're done I'm out of cool undead stuff to paint and I'll have to move on to something else.

That's a pretty good idea actually, I should write that down for when I have to paint my Arkhan

How would you guys go about painting the trim on this guy? I want to try painting one of my extra Plague Marines like this to see if I want to change my scheme.

I dont know why but I didn't enjoy painting this.

Guess I'm not doing a tau army

Would a glass table make a decent painting table? I finally have enough space now to have a dedicated painting space instead of keeping all my shit on the counter and most of the secondhand desks on my local Craigslist are glass.

Just a bit of an added note, if you do thin it down with some more medium, don't be dumb and use Glaze medium like I did, use just regular matte or gloss. I took the photo 3 hours after I painted her, and some of the deeper recesses are still wet.

Also I'd almost totally forgotten that I have on more thing from Reaper that I ordered with the models for this warband.

It's been sitting on my desk while I've done all this other stuff so it just kinda became a fixture and left my main focus.

Your painting table is probably where you'll also end up doing most of your hobby stuff so I wouldn't really recommend glass unless you don't care if it gets scratched generally roughed up.

Unless you get a nice self healing mat to put over it or something.

Always good to see your stuff! Keep em coming

The medium I have is Vallejo medium so I should be good.

I have a bottle of that as well as their Metallic, Glaze, and Gloss, they're great stuff, especially the Metallic. I was just too lazy to look for any of the other ones and the Glaze bottle was right in front of me.

Learn from my pain.

Pitty the terrain thread died.
I'm building a 50m radio antenna for my 15mm moderns.
First terrain piece I have made in years. I'm experimenting with various techniques for building and basing.
I need a lower sand to spackle ratio, but it doesn't look too bad so far.
The bullshit building the mast out of thick card and mimicking L beams that are 2mm a side was painful. Its also twisted after the glue dried. I need to figure out how to fix that.
Ill be happy with it however this turns out.

>I was just too lazy to look for any of the other ones
I know that feel man

I also apologise for being a phone posting pleb

I hadn't considered how scratched and scuffed it will get, good point. Guess I will look into a big mat if I get glass or wood.

I really need to get one of those laser cut MDF paint pot/bottle organization things. They aren't even expensive anymore and would stop this kinda shit from happening. My buddy has all his paints in one and his space looks so tidy compared to mine.

I've given up on the notion that my desk will be tidy.

You should try to use smaller grains of grit out towards the end of your pebbles, try to sort of blend it out to the flat surface.

Use some large grain sand and then fine, then super fine grain, but make sure to do spots of overlap and stuff so there isn't a really obvious transition.

Rocks don't really suddenly stop, they get smaller and smaller until they're just dirt.

Unless it's just a manmade gravel pit or something that is.

Its a test patch to see how it worked. It has far too much too corse sand. I need to fix that in the next attempt.
I plan to cover the whole thing in a texture before painting and flocking it.
I'm just pleased enough with it so far to brag on Veeky Forums.
But I agree with your ideas.

Death guard green/ elysian green/ ogryn camo

Fallen is cool.

Chill user, it's also a way for people to discover new chapters.

The Hanged

I love the antenna tower, the nightmare seems to have been worth it.

To avoid the warping you could maybe try making it in two or three sections and then gluing them together when they're dry.

>ive fallen in love with vallejo recently
not the guy above.
I thought this, then the vallejo silver really let me down; I couldn't get any coverage on it

>The ivory isn't as thick in person
That sounds like what someone puts on their dating site description lol.

Well I mean you're allowed to believe whatever you want but I own the model so I know how thick it is.

Where is that mini from?

light grey is awful to paint and I don't enjoy it either, the weathering looks better on that thing than when you posted it yesterday too.

Not him but I'm pretty sure that's a Bones model

TAKE

It's from Reaper, it's called Female Wraith. You can get it as a Bones or the original Metal which is what I go with when the option exists. Loves me some metal minis.

I'm going to paint my death guard in a grimy offwhite color scheme. How do I make the horns and skull details pop?

do the horns black or very dark brown

ive never touched vallejo metallics, probably gonna drop gw ones for a brand i cant quite remember at the moment, ill have to dig. im really upset i cant remember them, i thought i had them bookmarked because they make some damn good metallics

Thanks, i had a bones model and it was incredibly bad, who thought a model with a flexible weird material that cant be sanded a good thing? I will get it in metal

Vallejo Copper and Old Gold are both glorious, bronze and brass are alright. Gunmetal blue and grey are shit, gunmetal grey is like leadbelcher mixed with nuln oil almost, to dark imo.

done

This giant skeleton is actually a Bones model. The first and only one I've bought.

Once you get used to slicing off mold lines instead of sanding or scraping it's not that bad, but unless you're trying to buy a bunch of models as cheap as you can, just get metal.

Or Plastic if you're buying from companies that do those.

base is bland, I don't like it at all.
The conversion is nice, my only gripe is that that weapon looks a bit basic, could have done with some more detailing (adde a skull or a mechanicum symbol, anything to make it look less like a generic axe on a wooden pole)

I don't understand how GW expects such a heavy figure to stay attached to a small piece of plastic using their plastic glue. This is my third attempt trying to get this guy to stay on his hook.

There's a reason they cost a fraction as much as GW models. The bigger Bones pieces are usually less flexible though.

base is drying, then i add ink drybrush and grass

yeah i dont have much to put on the axe ill have to look

Why are you using their plastic glue? Never buy hobby supplies from GW. Also just use super glue if plastic keeps failing.

I've not put mine together yet, have not even taken anything except the transfer sheet out of the box. Is it really that big of a pain in the ass? I've not heard anything else about them.

Why not use super glue?

Thanks!

to further this- you can get more plastic glue for cheaper on amazon.
Model Master liquid cement for plastic models comes in a far superior bottle, is cheaper, you get more, and its pretty much the same fucking thing. Some things GW does well, other things are cash grabs against people who either do not know better, or dont care to shop anywhere else.

The plastic glue was given by a friend. But I am attempting now with the super glue, thanks for that.

Just finished painting about 1900 pts of Space wolves. What next? Only the AOS shit is put together.

AOS khorne army
Primaris Imperial Fists
Deathguard
Sigmarines