Blades in the Dark

Just got the book for this and am planning on running a one shot for my group this weekend. Anyone played it or the playtest versions? Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/file/acnc66
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah, I've run it a couple of times. It's super fun.

Seems to me like it requires a lot of improvisation on the part of the GM. How much do you even bother preparing for scores? A floorplan? enemy locations? traps? or do you just come up with it all on the fly?

Only prep what scores you offer players for like the first session or two and roll with what they choose even if it isn't those hooks. Your players will get the hang of it eventually and start setting the pace and generating your material for you.

After that it's just reacting to what they do and occasionally moving the factions around behind the scenes.

Can I get a tl;dr or elevator pitch?

Ok, so you just ad lib the layout of the places they break into? Do you even bother having the PC's say where they go once their inside, or do you just 'cut' between obstacles?

players play a gang in the gritty underworld of Duskvol, which is sort of a victorian london except there is no sun and the city is surrounded by lighting towers to keep out the spirits of the restless dead. The setting is heavily inspired by Thief and Dishonored.

The game is centered around 'scores', which are basically missions to break into places and steal stuff. PC's can spend meta resources to flashback and say they did stuff to prepare on the fly.

The point of the game is to gather resources to level up your gang, which has a type (assassins, smugglers, drug sellers, etc) and special abilities.

Bump this once. Does nobody actually play this game?

Anyone got a PDF?

Dunno about the full book, but if you search for blades in the dark quick start, you can find the quick start rules from the kickstarter, which are pretty close.

It's like the heists from GTAV but there's no planning involved. You just break in and then declare through flashbacks that you did stuff for prep as you run into them.

Check the archive thread. It's the new flavour of the month so it should be in there.

I've been running it for my group for the past couple of months.
Mechanically it's a really sound game. The fundamental of it is in the stress points- the players get 10 per session and can use these to boost their dicepool or resist the consequences of failing a roll. When they resist, they roll for how many stress points it will cost them.
This makes every session really interesting because every time they spend stress it's a gamble, and you have to place your bets carefully. Spend too much stress and you take a point of trauma, and at 4 trauma your character is out of the game. Don't spend your stress in the right place, and it means you've wasted it.
So spending stress where it counts, and the gamble paying off is where the player succeeds in the game.
It feels very much like a vastly improved version of PbtA.

I'd recommend it to anybody. Do be aware though that there's not a lot of room for one class to play differently to another, which isn't to everyone's taste.

I've read the PDF and I'd be super hyped to run it but none of my groups have the patience to do anything other than Critical Role game

SJW garbage, seriously

sendspace.com/file/acnc66

chew you have even one satisfact to snack that up?

Absofuckinglutely. Read the book, there's

>Stronk empowered womyn PC in the "example of play" bullshit
>Dimmer sisters being man-hating lesbians
>police = just as bad as gangs
>WE WUZ KANGZ black lady art for one of the classes

Try and defend it, go on

Sounds fun, I'll have a look at it.

/pol/ please go

is this a parody post

Me and the other guy in my group who DM's keep trying to get our group to play this, and they admit they had fun with it, but the other players don't like the rules light aspect of it. It's fun if you can get a group more interested in the roleplay versus the actual crunch of the mechanics. But then again, we've been playing pathfinder for years now, so anything not overburdened with erratas and pointless minutiae seems 'rules-light'

Ssh, don't tell anyone, but heists games are fun and I'd still play it even if the rule book says women can't be anything but sluts and gold diggers.

Politics in fluff should be water off a ducks back in this day and age.

I ran my first game yesterday. I had a lot of fun. It's very, very different from my previous experiences so it's a bit of a challenge, but I really dig the setting and how it all comes together mechanically. The gang running aspects are especially fun.

I like how danger comes much more in the sense of attrition and mounting heat than real physical threat.

>I like how danger comes much more in the sense of attrition and mounting heat than real physical threat.
My current GM is missing this point and justifying it by saying he wants to see the group struggle and also "muh tiers"

What limits the scope and scale of that type of asspull?

Poe's Law is a scary thing.

Larger scale flashbacks cost more stress.

That...hm. That seems really...fishy, from a balance perspective.

In practice it's worked out well for my group, and others I've seen. It's limited in that stress is a scarce resource, and going over the limit is Bad. Also, in that flashbacks generally buy you an opportunity to have done something, not letting you declare you did it.

IIRC, the book's example is that you could declare a flashback where you bribed the beat cop for an area to be somewhere else that night. You still need to roll the social action to do that, it's just that the flashback lets it be ex post facto.

But are flashbacks the only mechanic? You mentioned there was no planning. It seems to me that you're basically at the GM's mercy. What do you do if he throws more problems than the party has soakable stress into a problem? I know that can happen in other games, but most dont make it into such simple arithmetic.

Flashbacks aren't the only mechanic. The basic task resolution involves two factors; position and effect.

>Position
Comes in three flavors; Controlled, Risky, and Desperate. Most times it will be Risky. Flashbacks can be used to change these, i.e. "Sneaking past the perimeter is Desperate because there is a full platoon of mercenaries guarding the vault, and their patrol routes are immaculate" becomes "It will be risky sneaking through the hole in the mercenaries' patrol routes that your flashback bribe left available"

>Effect
Comes in three flavors; Limited, Standard and Great. These often have numbers associated (1, 2, and 3 respectively) when advancing things like clocks. Flashbacks might also effect this; "The vault door is woven through with hexes, so your mundane lockpicks are going to have a Limited effect on the 'Open the Vault' clock" becomes "The blessings of Doctor Bong-Yaba on your lockpicks will help with the vault's arcane wards, good thing you buttered him up in that flashback. That will be a Standard effect on the 'Open the Vault' clock."

You can still take actions to do things in the present: sneak past guards, fight people, command ghosts, etc. Flashbacks just let you say you've done things to prepare retroactively.

Hm, that sounds a bit clunky. Is there a trial PDF floating around somewhere?

>police = just as bad as gangs
It's almost like it's a grimdark setting or something. OH, WAIT, IT FUCKING IS.

>mfw I still think up rest of the scores

To be honest I just missed that part if it was in the book the players(one) do have a few ideas for scores and I should start running with them