Unpopular opinion thread, mark 2

Original thread here As for my unpopular opinions.

>J.R.R. Tolkien's writing is brilliant but it is most definitely NOT for everyone. It's all right to not like it. That being said, the amount of just wrongheaded pig stupid comments floating around the internet about the structure and meaning of Lord of the Rings is staggeringly common and bad.

>Most people seem to not understand what rolling dice in RPGs are for. It's merely a tool to create randomness, but that doesn't protect you from a bad GM railroading or otherwise fucking with you. It is not a substitute for making choices, which is what the game really should be about.

Here's my unpopular opinion:

You didn't need a second thread.

Nor did you need to post, yet here we are, together again. Deal with it.

There is nothing wrong with D&D and seasoning to taste.

Generic systems can be good, but homebrew systems to fit the theme and flow of a campaign and setting are much better.

There is nothing wrong with having, playing, and/or sexualizing "furry" characters. There's no difference between that and your elf waifu, get over it.

At any time during a campaign, the GM/DM has a right to change, edit, modify, or remove any and all of a players spells, class features and powers if they are unbalancing and breaking the game. Entitled whining about RAW is both wrong and the cancer killing TTRPGs

The players are not always entitled to a roll. If your character is already in an ogre's grip, there's nothing you can do to stop it from popping your skull like a grape. This goes both ways however, DMs should never make a player roll to climb up a ladder or to defeat an unarmed goblin in combat.

People who hate the d20 dice curve don't understand why it's good. People who make shitty homebrew dice curve games are missing the point. If you need to manipulate the modifiers and dice percentages so that someone only has a 1/1000 chance to succeed, what's the point in rolling? Let a few linear modifiers do it instead, and let the underdog win sometimes.

Bait and switch railroading is trash. Don't make one dungeon and send the players through it no matter which direction they take. It's lazy, and robs your players of their free will. Your precious "story" is not nearly as good as you think it is.

Playing all the generic high fantasy tropes straight doesn't make you creative. You're being just as 'subversive' as those hipsters you needlessly dispose.

Letting casters and martials be unbalanced in your game, if they are both playable, is laziness and shows a stupid and ineffective dungeon master.

Your "human only low fantasy setting" is not creative, not original, and not interesting. Stop pretending like you're a rebel.

Ask me how I know you're an intellectual lightweight. Tolkien was a halfway decent world builder. His actual writing was aggressively pedestrian. And he basically stole wholesale from The Kalevala which you would know if you were at all well read.

>unironically uses terms like "intellectual lightweight"
>mhmm yes if you actually read this obscure shit that nobody cares about you would know that tolkien stole from it
>implying all media does not steal from other media
>mhmm obviously you aren't as smart as me because you haven't read this specific thing I have looks like I win

Maybe you should take your hollow elitist posturing to Veeky Forums, I'm sure they'll be very impressed.

Interlacing 6 different plotlines is hardly "aggressively pedestrian", nor is filtering everything through several layers of unreliable narrators.

And pretty much the only thing that is stolen from the Kalavela is Turin as Kullervo. (And even then, Turin is enormously more heroic in the classical mode than Kullervo ever is) You won't find an analogue for hobbits in the Kalavela, nor will you find things like PTSD, the savior hero being rejected, or a notion that power itself is corruptive.

>Your "human only low fantasy setting" is not creative, not original, and not interesting. Stop pretending like you're a rebel.

Fucking thank you. This shit's getting old. We get it, you like Game of Thrones. Now fuck off.

>People who make shitty homebrew dice curve games are missing the point.
Or they want a style of play that doesn't have them fudging with the numbers non-fucking-stop to make sure that character skill is the deciding factor in how successful a roll is going to be far more often than anything else.

Then why bother rolling? If you want a more skilled fighter to beat the everloving shit out of a nonskilled one, then there is no reason to have a roll for it. It just happens.

Even a rather paltry +5 modifier on a d20 is an increased +25% chance to succeed. Why do you need to skew the odds any more? If you are so adamant about the character having a deciding factor then why is there a roll?

stealing from mythology doesn't count

>Then why bother rolling?
Degree of success/failure.

This thread is shit.

I like 5e and dislike people too lazy to break out the graph paper and make their own maps

PHBs are unnecessarily convoluted both in how they are worded and what order they put their chapters. Spell Lists should be ordered by Level, not alphabetically.
I feel sorry for new people entering the hobby tryng to decrypt their first PHB.

Not sure why you made this again immediately, but

I hate everything related to Warhammer. I hate Warhammer Fantasy, I hate 40k, I hate the lore, I hate the art, I had the video games, I hate the tabletop games, I hate the painting threads and the god damn "excuse me" commissar or whatever the fuck threads, I hate eldar and orcs and space marines and every slow, laborious experience I have had slugging through the fucking rpgs, and the fact that you cannot swing a dead cat in this hobby without hitting this stuff, its as ubiquitous as Tolkien and anime. I don't even like most of the stuff it is inspired by or which has been inspired by it. All of the Moorcock/Warcraft/Fading Suns baloney that shares thematics with it, although to be fair, any of that is still better than what GW does.

I am just honestly amazed anyone is interested in or engaged in anything this company has put out, much less that it seems to have such a massive and obsessive fan base.

But you know. Whatever.

>Insisting that the only reason someone would ever want to play an All Humans system is because they want to emulate this particular medium

Could be because people realize that most RPG racial descriptions really needlessly limit the range of characterization that a concept has open to it and that Star Trek racial variance doesn't really constitute racial variance. A lot of the time people end up playing 'Thin Human with pointy ears' or 'Muscular Human with green skin' or 'Short, Hairy Human with Big Feet' anyways. At the other end of the spectrum, you also have people who try so hard to get as far away from being human as they can that the character just becomes a hideous, unrelatable monster. It's just needless distraction, to me, and pigeonholes players into tropes and stereotypes.

>Mixing science fiction and fantasy is fucking stupid

I'm sorry, user, my 4e phb lists everything by sections to fill out on the character sheet.
The only time I've ever seen someone have a problem with it is when they try to jump between chapters because they see a term and can't wait for the book to get to it's precise definition.
It's how I learned 4e D&D is not the game for control freaks.

Yet those are the people who consistently play and call it the best system ever.

I think you are too concerned about what you don't like, and not enough with doing the things that you enjoy.
Yeah, I'm a 40k fan from way back, and I do not, nor have ever, taken it seriously. I cheer my dudes, boo the other guy's dudes, laugh at the silliness of it all.

And who are those people, user?

Explain your point, I'm interested

So many Warhammer fanboys are completely ignorant to how heavily GW steal from other games, WH fantasy "borrowed" so much from Earthdawn.

this. A lot of the classic races became stereotypical tropes, and I've seen a lot of people that don't even go into describing their character... "I'm the half-orc of the group","I'm the beautiful elf" and so on... In my own experience, the most interesting characters I've saw at a table were in settings where only humans were playable (mostly in games like CoC, zombies apocalypse setting...), and I think it's because player feel the need to flesh out everything to create something unique.

What about human only high fantasy?

Really ? When I was still playing, it was almost a running gag at the store, where we talked about how all of it was a giant patchwork of stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that the Discworld setting is a bit like that. Yes, there are many fantasy races, but it's mostly human-driven, and a lot of those races could be removed while keeping the universe running.

Mixing can be silly but properly blending the tropes together with both an understanding of the tropes as well as the history of the genres can be sublime.

So you also think that shadowrun is a stupid setting ?

It is, In fact Shadowrun is borderline unplayable because of the mix of science fiction and fantasy, nobody plays it correct as a vast majority people completely ignore the fact your supposed to be playing the game on at least three different planes.

must agree that a lot of people don't play shadowrun correctly

Erebus did nothing wrong

That's a popular opinion, discarded.