I need help homebrewing

I need help homebrewing.
D&D 5e, I don't know how to balance blood magic

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sharpen your pencil and painstakingly, vigrously shove it into your anus as far and as deep as it will go, the sensation will enlighten you

The primary issue with the usual route of "blood magic" in a game like D&D is that "HP as spell cost" is a faux-cost. The only hit point that matters is the last one, after all.

What do you have so far?

To circumvent that their current HP could effect what spell slots they have access to. But that's way too much head math to be fun for most people.

>balance
As in balance it internally for your group? Are you afraid that the blood magic caster will steal the show from other people?
Just make up arbitrary stuff then, it really doesn't matter how you limit it, you just have to keep it on a scale that works for your group. Just write something ominous down like "Price of Power: Spellcasters abusing blood magic suffer debilitating backlash, that might heal in the short term, but prolonged abuse has always brought a tragic fate on the user".
Bam, you're done - the moment the guy playing the blood mage starts to get tricky with it, you smack him with diseases, disadvantage on all sorts of stuff, you name it
Balancing done

Invent a new resource, similar to sorcery points, that are not keyed or in any way related to hit points. A level 20 character does not have ~20x the amount of blood as a level 1 character. Your ability to do magic with a small amount of blood should increase as you level. Represent the blood taken either as 0hp and some amount of "blood" points, or as magic done on reaction when you take HP damage.

> (OP)
>The primary issue with the usual route of "blood magic" in a game like D&D is that "HP as spell cost" is a faux-cost. The only hit point that matters is the last one, after all.
I like how Dungeon Crawl Classics does things, it lets you permanently sacrifice stat points to augment magic.

Make the HP damage longer term, and random. Rather than having a spell cost, say, 3HP, have it cost an exploding D6. The point of blood magic is that it can get out of control, otherwise everybody would do it. Also, make it so you can only restore 1 point of damage done by blood magic per rest. Done.

>Let me present you the sure-fire way to turn blood magic into something no Player ever picks
Nice, I'm sure I want my dude to just randomnly die when he cast his spell and to have to wait way longer than other caster for his spells to replenish. Why am I playing this again?

I assumed blood magic would be a type of spell somebody knew how to cast, along with others. Assuming you have limited room in your spellbook, blood magic would be something you choose to do on occasion.

Let me break it down for you: if you want to make a whole class out of blood magic, its not going to work. The only two resources you'd logically pay to differentiate blood magic would be health, or constitution. The former is too easy to regenerate,the latter is too hard.

If I were you Id just introduce blood magic spells into the sorcerer spell list and let players make the choice when to use it and when not to. Make them a whole level more powerful than they should be to offset the cost. Thats the point of blood magic: play hard, win big.

5e has no balance you might need to preserve.

>All healing received gives them temp HP instead of HP.
>Can only gain temp hp equal to difference between their max and current HP from healing
>Can't use temp HP to cast
>Can only regain HP by finishing a long rest
Just make sure the cost of their spells properly scale with the class' Hit Dice and it should be fine.

This man gets it

Option to address that might be to cast for a temporary reduction of max hitpoints.Or to start counting points of exhaustion after certain increments of spent HP.

Rough idea that pops into my head
>Spells cost twice their level in HP
>Max HP spent on casting restores after 3 days.
>Take an exhaustion level for every 10 HP spent. At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, increase the interval to the first increment of exhaustion by 10 points each.

And then don't restrict them by spell slots. You end up with this unstoppable force of nature at the beginning of the day that trickles off to an anemic wimp who can't keep his eyes open--if he's not careful. It gives the player lots of options for how to spend his bood but it punishes overuse heavily,
Spell c

Forgot to finish that last thought

"Spellcaster who has a d8 hit die, if we are making a class."

At first level, if he casts 1 lvl1 spell/day, he has a max HP of 2 (since after that he gains/loses 2 HP/day, so it balances out).

This class is, as written, unplayable.

Use healing surges... I mean hitdice instead.

Heck, just grab a sorcerer, say he can convert hit dice into sorcery points and you are done.

The solution is not to make it a class, just make it a school of magic and bolt it on to existing arcane spell lists. I dont play 5e, but if metamagic is still a thing, then thats your in. You could easily just have a metamagic ability which drops the level of a given spell by 1 and does exploding d4 *buzzword* damage per level of the original spell. The catch is that you can only heal as much *buzzword* equal to your number of hitdice +conmod.

Only issue with that is, as people said before HP is a non-resource as is. It would be the best Sorcerer archetype because they can constantly refill spell slots by expending sorcery points by using Hit Dice they were't going to use anyway.

percentage HP reduction, rounded up to the next integer.

Either temporary or permanent till-next-long rest. You can fluff this as that the creature / the PC has to replenish blood.

Alternatively, practicing blood magic gives you fatigue levels. The system is severe enough that power gamer shy away from playing path of the berserker barbarians.

Percentage of total or percentage remaining? Also, what makes that more attractive than a floating value with a tendency toward a certain percentage of character health given their class and level?

>The system is severe enough that power gamer shy away from playing path of the berserker barbarians.
It doesn't really help that all you get is one extra attack and other options for barbarian are "Never Die" or "Give every melee attacker advantage"

5e cuts down on a lot of the sort of math doesn't it? It wouldn't feel in spirit of the game. Not to mention no one wants to do division every time they cast a spell.

In 5e, you start with (max hitdice) + (con mod) at start. With standard array, even if he puts con as his dump stat at -1, he's got 7 HP at level 1. Enough to cast 3 level 1 spells, as long as he doesn't get hit. This puts him above any full caster who gets 2 level 1 spells slots at level 1.

Continuation: I'd not quite grasped what you were saying. now that I do, I'm going to flip that around. You're going to spec into con with this class, to some degree. with a +2 con mod, you have 10HP. That's a reasonable starting HP.
If you want to spread iot out evenly, you can cast 1 spell per day and have an effective max HP of 4. This does make you weaker than the other casters, who get 2 per day. But you can also cast 4 level 1 spells in a single day, if you want to burn yourself out. The idea here, for me, is for the player to have to make major tradeoff decisions. It's designed to be weaker than other casters on average, but stronger in bursts. It's definitely not a finished idea, it's just me spitballing.

I disagree, having yourself run out of HD before everyone else is stupidly wasteful, means they have to spend healing spells on you or you have to actually stop for the day because you'll die to a stiff breeze. You'd only do it if you ran afoul of everything else (which fits in well with the blood magic archetype, imo).

You have to chose one or the other (either you make it impactful, and it simply won't get used, or you make it non-issue and it gets abused).

That and sorcerers are shitty wizards anyway, so a strong archetype isn't gamebreaking. You could even give it abilities from the 3.5 bloodmage PrC (can store spells in his blood, can even have his allies drink it from the tap, if they got the stomach for it... I always liked that).

>This does make you weaker than the other casters, who get 2 per day.
Don't wizard recharge one on a short rest, making it so they have 3/ day?

You can burn yourself out for 3 days to have... 1 extra level 1 spell compared to a wizard who will have more HP than you anyway.

So, it's pretty fucking bad for 1st level. Go ahead and calculate at different levels, I'm too lazy for that atm. Maybe if it would be a CON based caster to begin with? probably still not enough.

Depending on the conversion rate, this could also be abused with the magic initiate feat. If the hit dice gives more than 2 sorcery points they'll be able to exchange a hit dice for a cure wounds (which is bigger than their hit dice and their spellcasting mod is likely better than their con) + some sorcery points to spare.

I have said this to my group so many times so I'll say it here.

5E IS NOT DESIGNED AROUND CUSTOM CONTENT. The developers give no tools or insight into how to build your own stuff beyond vague suggestions in the DMG.

If you are not happy with the rules of the game then PLAY ANOTHER GAME. Find something that does suit your tastes rather than hanging on to 5e for dear life because it is not the only game it the world.

You cant change people's minds. They want to play a brand name, so let them. Its been a problem since 3e at least.

Cure wounds gives you HP _now_, while HD is a tank. You can't refill your HD tank with the HP you get from cure wounds, so this is not an issue, it only really lets you use your HD more efficiently after you have already hurt.

You also can't use magic initiate with it, since you don't actually know the spell it gives you, you can just cast it as an ability 1/day. If you dip cleric, it could work, but it's literally only 1 HP better than your own HD. You could fix this with limiting your "Blood points" to sorcerer spells only, or you could just give him cure wounds so he doesn't have to fuck around as a bonus spell.

I believe 5er IS designed to endure and accept homebrew content and Wizards actually did mentioned some thoughts behind the class design.
dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes

It CAN endure it, but its hardly designed to. In order to make a class, for example, which is at parity with existing ones requires more of an investment than any prior edition of D&D (aside from 4e, which required no homebrew because it basically canonized all permutations of available class features into their own classes).