Modern setting

>modern setting
>not choosing a katana as your weapon of choice

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs
youtube.com/watch?v=6ryyAenmzHM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't even remember when we had a katana-based shitposting thread. This feels like something from years ago. Let's have fun, Veeky Forums!

>modern setting
>Not choosing glorious American made entrenching tool as your weapon of choice

>modern setting
>doesn't Rapeman

Folding spades are also effective

>AnCap society setting
>Not choosing Recreational Nucc as your weapon of choice

haha

youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs

>Rapeman

Wtf does my mid school gym teacher have to do with this??

>modern setting
>not being apologetically tacticool

>modern setting
>not using guns
You weebs never change

>wasting all that time training to use something that you could never take anywhere

>Not taking the glorious Mosin Nagant.

Back in the day these shitposts came with a proper pasta. Now it's just stock mage and two lines of greentext.

>apologetically
You tried so hard.

>implying you wouldn't have a katana strapped to your back

They're fucking badass, even if they can't slice American tanks in half. They're stylish as fucking hell

>not using a washing pole
best swordfu

But the American ones don't have their own jingoistic infomercials

youtube.com/watch?v=6ryyAenmzHM

A good katana build is pretty damn fun in Cyberpunk 2020.

why would you ever chose a shity weapon that's hard to hide, needs year to use properly and is overall shit in most situations? weebs need to die

You know what complements Katana for even greater potential?
fully upgraded cyberlegs

>needs year to use properly
I'm sorry, but did you just implied with that bit that to be good with any other weapon you don't need years of practice?
Have you ever in your life handled a firearm, you idiot? Especially any sort of a long-bore one? Because you sound like someone who really think you can train a marksman during 6 week boot camp.

>not using your Rocket Launcher to launch yourself into the air and smack them with your shovel

I think shield was my favorite

nigga you can more or less use a club from the get go, pistol? Probably a day of deplaning of how to use it and maybe some target practice, your set, you wont be good with it, but you can use it without hurting yourself. Katana? Probably 2 years to be of any use

>modern setting
>not carrying a club and a sack full of grenades

Its just that I dont like my shit breaking after one swing at someone wearing anything sturdier than leather

>using a mediocre sword centuries after actually good ones were already invented

> fully upgraded cyberlegs
okay

You can take a city girl ROTC cadet and get her punching great groups out down range in a day if she is inclined to Fucking listen

> t. pumpkin patch pogue

In modern setting, weapons of choice are blackmail, slander, bribes, backroom dealings and twisting the laws to suit your needs.
I mean, yeah, "the sharp knife in a dark alley" method still works, but it's way more fun to force you live in poverty and slave away for my profit legally than to just kill you.

I'd rather be a petty and cowardly mastermind who hides behind the others' backs and lives a pretty comfortable existence, always having an "exit stage left" strategy, than be a murderhobo that sleeps under the open sky, eats rats and his only joy in life is the adrenaline rush from killing and looting.

Do you see the difference between "more or less use" and "be good at it"? Because apparently you assume you need 2 years to "more or less use" katana, rather than "be good at it".
The exact same applies to ANY OTHER WEAPON. Even one that does not require any physical predisposition, like guns. Because you still need to know how to aim them, operate them, maintain them and then comes all the stuff about being good with them.
I know how to fire and maintain a bolt-action hunting rifle and "more or less" hit a target slightly bigger than human at 200 meters. Hit, not reliably kill. And I by no means consider myself a good shot or even good with guns at all. I "more or less use" them.

and you are still way more useful than someone even fairly good with a katana in a modern setting. There is a reason why large blades have gone out of style years ago, because they tend to be clunky and the time needed to be good with it is waaaay longer than the time it takes to be good with most other weapons. Hell, it would be probably easier to train someone to handle themselves in a knife fight than train someone to be good with a sword, knife fighting is some of the hardest shit out there as far as self defense gouse

>Not a diamond coated monoedge tacticool nanokatana.
Get with the times old man.

If you had to design a sword that was effective against modern armor, how would you make it? Let's just kind of ignore firearms for a bit.

So... you want to be Donald Trump?

First I'd make it out of tungsten, and about a foot wide.
Say twenty feet long, maybe.
Drop it from a satellite at about Mach 10.

Get your rods of god outta here. That ain't no sword.

I'm not talking about situation a la "modern setting katana". I'm just pointing out it takes time to learn any weapon. Bringing a sword to a gun fight is stupid for entire plethora of reasons. But learning your gun well takes just as much time as getting hang of your blade. The main real difference is that you don't need to be strong or agile with guns - just not being blind will do. But that won't make you into a marksman, only give you bigger body of people suitable for training and to throw into the grinder.

Body armour protects against bullets and shrapnel. Anti-stabbing vests are a thing, too.
So when facing anyone in body armour - slice what's not covered. Cutting through kevlar is NOT going to work, no matter how hard you try.

About that statblock...

sorry guys... i just like how it looks...

Something like a Masterwork Bastard Sword, I imagine

What vidya?

I can't even tell if this is ironic or not

pretty sure it's a promo cinematic for FFXIV's Stormblood expac

>using a sword against good armor
Really against good armors your best bet is bludgeoning them to hell and back. No slashing into it but just a brick and some rope can be a fucking monster against someone.

If I did have to use a sword however a zweihander or scottish claymore might work nicely.

It's from the Final Fantasy 14 trailer. It's unironic, but that person is a magic samurai so at least it's more than "lol katana"

Final Fantasy 14 expansion trailer. Fingers got ahead of brain.

Fuck off tumblr

... the fuck it has to do with tumblr?

It's a gif from dumb Disney movie

>The Road to El Dorado
>Disney movie
You are trying too hard

Sorry I don't about baby movies you fucking dick

That's literally one of the most Veeky Forums films ever made, you stupid shit. A fucking "All-Rogue Party" campaign.
And it's from DreamWorks.

>It's animated so it's for kids
Especially the blow job scene. Totally for kids

>Look how adult I am, I don't watch it, because it's animated
>You fucking dick cocksucker fuckhead baby!
Golden

And it's not my fault you are too young to remember it and never bothered to watch it later, because 'animation is for babies". What's next? Remove anime from Veeky Forums?

>removing anime from Veeky Forums

That legitimately would make this site better

A folding spade and an entrenching tool are the same thing.

IIRC, it's the same expansion that they released the Samurai class in, so it makes sense.

Summer ended few weeks ago. What are you still doing here?

>strapped to your back
you can't draw that from your back dude.

diff user
summer's over kid get your ass back in class so you don't waste your life on this shit board.

>modern setting
>not combining a club and a grenade into the same weapon

What's cowardly about painting a target on your own back?

give me a million

>you can't draw that from your back dude.
Yeah, I've also saw that Lindybeige video. Like always, he can go fuck himself with his clickbait nonsense.

sounds like every politician ever.
being hillary actually would be a better choice.

Whoah, contain that edge, or you're going to cut yourself.

>you can't draw that from your back dude.
That's why you unsling it first.

>Yeah, I've also saw that Lindybeige video. Like always, he can go fuck himself with his clickbait nonsense.
the fuck are you on about?
is your plan literally to leave it strapped to your back in a fight (actually sounds better than actually trying to bring a knife to a gun fight)

like a rifle?

Rifles aren't cool.

But yeah, basically. I think people get so pooper-peeved when they see back-slung swords because they don't realize that it's simply a more-comfortable way to carry a scabbard. Balance is better and it doesn't bump into your legs, but the tradeoff is you need to take extra time to unsling it before drawing.

Well for larger swords it makes perfect sense to wear them on your back and just assume the guy doesn't think he'd need to draw it right away, and it's there specifically for making moving it around easier. The only swords that kind of annoy me to see on someone's back are katanas

Beige did a shit-tier video (what a surprise) about back-carrying and like always run autistic pile of bullshit about it, not knowing what this user posted

I wonder if someone should just tell him why people call something a tumblr gif? Then again it's pretty much just dedicated shitposting at this point

But it's not even a case of a tumblr gif, making it shitposting from the very start.

Katanas are no different than any other long-bladed sword when it comes to comfort and ease of movement. You ever try to sit down with a waist-mounted sword? Shit's irritating. There's a reason they used they used a sash from which the scabbard could be easily remvoed.

Magic makes everything acceptable.

Unless you define "long-bladed sword", this post is bunch of nonsense that could mean literally anything you wish it means.

> (You)
>Unless you define "long-bladed sword"
A sword with a blade longer than three feet.

It's not grimgore mega dark in gritty black and white with gruff sergeants shouting INCOMING to buff soldiers, so it must be babby movie!

Meanwhile I am 100% subscribed to this male power fantasy, like a 6 year old watching He-Man, but this power fantasy is for grown ups!

Actually, I'll amend that. Two feet. That's my sweet spot when it comes to carrying a sword around on my waist and still being able to manage it in a variety of positions, but im a 5'6" manlet, so YMMV.

Have you read the wikipedia article about Japanese swords from the Samurai era?
They ARE pretty different, they're made for very special circumstances during a very special era.

Dig this, during the Mejii/Sengoku/Tokugawa era they did not have shields!

What does that have to do with the price of rice in China, or the comfort of wearing one across the back as opposed to on the waist?

You're starting to come off as just wanting to start an argument. I think I'll refrain from obliging.

"Starting to come off"
That was my first reply dude, all I am saying is that a samurai sword is not the same as knight sword.

...isn't that what the entrenching tool is?

Not him, but there is the whole deal of not wearing katana or any other blades "upward", to both make them easiet to draw AND move around with them at your belt.
And if the blade itself was really long (nodachi and all), they were carrying it in completely different fashion. Rather than having scrabbard behind blade, it had two metal rings on each ends of it, then string going between them and the whole thing tucked to your belt, with the sword almost dragging on the ground, in horizontal position. Unwieldy as fuck, but still better than having it tucked directly behind the belt.

My mistake. And I never claimed it was.

Most vests actually useful in a firefight have steel plates in the front and back, you're not gonna do much with slashing, stabbing might give you a chance if you can go full medieval and thrust under the arm or hit the neck.

*of wearing

Cultural implications would probably mean that they were usually carried in similar ways, and usually on the waist (at least by samurai), but it doesn't really mean they couldn't be stowed on someone's back. Katana's do have a habit of being worn and drawn from people's backs in some media though

>Katana's do have a habit of being worn and drawn from people's backs in some media though
Honestly? Never saw it with katana. Saw it however dozens of times with regular, European swords. And that was before Witcher rolled in.

I really have a soft spot for tacticool. Especially the utilitarian minimalism of it. There's no master craftsmanship here, just a fucking blade with a slab for a grip.

>the whole deal of not wearing katana or any other blades "upward", to both make them easiet to draw AND move around with them at your belt.
I assume you mean "Wearing them edge-up", which was also to reduce wear on the edge of a single-edged blade that tended to be kept sharper than a European one, in addition to the other practical and ceremonial considerations.

The first examples off the top of my head are Deadpool and Leonardo from the Ninja Turtles, but I don't really care to think up a bunch.

I don't really even care about the "tacticool" element, so much as I just like the idea of a weapon only having exactly what you need on it instead of decorative stuff. "Perfection when there's nothing left to remove" and all that

Pure ass devastation on your party, fucking virgin

Yeah, it's this. And it does make them less clunky when walking or sitting.

I was always sure they both use Chinese jian

>Tacticool
>utilitarian minimalism
user, I don't think you know what tacticool is.

Leonardo's katana are of a more old-fashioned variety, before the curve became prominent in the design of the katana. They're certainly closer to the Chinese swords from which they stemmed than today's katana, I'll grant, but the jian is a slightly different beast.

Still, Leo's arms are nowhere near long enough to draw them from the shoulder, but that's why it's a cartoon, I suppose.