WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Trip paint judging scale:
>We stood at the edge of destruction, and would have fallen... if not for the might of The God-Emperor and his Angels of Death.
youtube.com/watch?v=ivXS-58a2EE

Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/sxXFfws3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

C&C?

Get camera+ if you're taking pics with your phone, learn to adjust exposure and white balance.

Clean the vaseline off your lens

Sorry, I didn't know I was on /p/

Getting closer to finishing my first Primaris model. Still gotta do the gun, the purity seal, the pouch and the heraldry but the biggest part of the painting, the armour, is done.

Since a Primaris army should have even less minis than a classic marine army (and since they're bigger) I tried to work more on the armor than what I used to do on my other dark angels. How did I do /wip?

Finished my word bearers demon prince

Looks nice user but if only you had shaved off thos aquilas...

Fucking hell

Your photo is shit and doesn't show off your models well at all, why would you expect accurate C&C from a shit photo?

You can learn how to take a decent one in 90 seconds, take the time man.

What do peopLe think of these as ogryn proxies? They are 38 mm tall

that model is just asking to snap at the supports

Solid 8

Thank goodness gw's elves are not as deformed as their humans.
You could see this guy as being in plate right?

My bearers are full of aquilas and imperial iconography. what started as an excuse to use all those tasty imperial bits, ended in an sincere love for that extra scoop of heresy.

See the door of my Church Raider

I was just joking user. I'll take some pics later

Needs a bit of wear around the boots. Otherwise good.

The stance is a little weird, but the paint job is great.

Ill repost this lightbox I made last week from cardboard box, ducttape and baking paper as inspiration for anyone who wants to low budget lightbox.

should have replaced the sword with a mace. Then it could be Daemon Prince Lorgar.

I like the low budget light boxes. Everyone should have a light box if they're going to take photos.

If you're looking to upgrade to something really good without spending a shitload of money, the Foldio is a pretty good product.

>don't talk about the false emperor to me or my son ever again

How's this? Trying to decide how to paint the other 10

love it but I would've picked a different colour for the shoulderpads

it's wonderful, how will you base it?

Red/10

Or a 5 on the trips scale

But does it actually work well? Can you post a picture using it?

Clean the mold line off the dome of the helmet. Use some fine grit sandpaper. Other than that it's just a basecoated marine. What do you want us to say?

two coats of Armageddon dust and one of black wash leaves a nice look

I may blacken the shoulder pad

Yeah I'm going to take some photos with it later today actually, just finishing up a couple more dudes.

For now though, I took this Kirby photo with it the first time I took it out of the packaging.

I've learned a lot about where to place stuff to get the maximum light and actual photo editting since so you can imagine how nice shit can come out.

I wonder if you hate painting prosecutor wings as much as I do. I fucking loathe prosecutors. But I guess you cant hate them that much since here you are using them on a girlyman model.

I like it for the most part

! Link to the "trips scale" pastebin !
! take note, future thread creator !

pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

Sure! Here's the latest pic I took of my commissat Yarrick. In these pics I have daylight lamps. Before any slight pic adjustments with a phone.

If the background you're using for your photos is supposed to be white, you need to adjust your white balance, it's throwing your whole picture off.

Actually I was lying. This is the pic with daylight lamps.

You can use colour, gradient fields are pretty common for miniature photography, just be prepared to adjust the white-balance of your photo if needed.

And slighty adjusted.

Necromancer Warband Update

Finished my Gloom Wraith, probably use him as a Man At Arms or Assassin.

Just my Blackguard/Knight left to highlight and everything is done.

Most Daylight bulbs tend towards the blue end of the spectrum, to compensate for the yellower environmental light of other lamps.
So colours will often look colder under pure Daylight Lamps.

Batanon here, I found my SS terrain in the mail today, so I thought I might as well share some pics with you guys.
I gotta say, it looks fucking fantastic, especially on an urban-style gaming mat.

Also, I decided to change Red Hood's guns, the old ones (painted dark metal) looked too realistic for the comic book-like style I was going for, so I've re-painted them and I think they look pretty cool now.

Why is Blanchitsu objectivly the best painting style?

So sick of cartoony nignoggery with GW studio paintjobs.

I too can't stand the super over exaggerated highlights that 'Eavy Metal does.

It works for certain things, Infinity for example, but for a grim dark fantasy setting? No thanks.

>objectively

Cmon now.

Needs more chaos iconography or magic.

I know you like aquilas but at least break them or scratch them or something, otherwise it does not really look chaotic

Finished Talarand, personal Blackguard to the as yet unnamed Ms. Necromancer.

I made sure I had a bit of shadow grey on him because that's my warband tie in colour, but I also wanted the mechrite red cloak to tie him to the lady bone witch.

1/3

2/3

I really love this 1:1 Black to Gun Metal Vallejo mix I used for this guy and my Skeleton Champion, it looks awesome with a Chainmail highlight.

Because Blanche basically invented the Grimdark style of 40k some of us love so much, and the colors he uses are top tier grimdark, black, red, sepia etc...

3/3

The back shot. I love the big skull on his shoulder pad, and all stuff on his armor gave me a reason to use brass to break up the dark metal.

Now for a shot of everything I accomplished with my days off this week.

The day is still young but I think it's time to put the brush down for a bit.

>objectively

Its a nice warhound, but even when I look at that I see Blanche in it. You are only proving the point.

>dark colors are blanche
so everything blue is ultramarine, everything bright is gw.

>dark colors are blanche

If you can look at that warhound and not see an influence of Blanchitsu than you must be about the stupidist wop-dago to ever shitpost the four chans.

>shitpost the four chans

you are extremely close minded if you think that most people give a flying fuck about blanche's style. He did not create dull colors and shading.

It's just the colors red and black and muh grimdark.

There's no blanche there. If it were you'd see more chains, skulls, scrolls, biomechanic shit etc...

>more chains, skulls, scrolls
>freehand skulls cover the piece

Do warhounds faces open up? I remember seeing a princeps model sitting in his titan with a couple of bitchboys with him, are warhounds that model or is it one of the even more expensive FW ones?

>blanche invented putting skulls on things

turns out citadel paint jars fit perfectly in the pvc tubes I use for my pipe system. Pictured is a pipe with jar & red led in it. Not exactly sure what to do with them, maybe industrial lights in a factory or something.

They do open up, the back can be removed too. They are really expensive but the attention to detail is amazing

He did though, it was in white dwarf about 2 years ago. Not only did he invent human skulls, he invented putting them on things as decorations. He makes a killing every halloween. John Blanche is gonna be OK.

Not but I see Blanchitsu as less of a colour pallet and more a aesthetic choice. The weathering on the warhound as well as the dark imagery and iconography lend to it a very Blanche-esque style.

But user is right, Blanchitsu a best.

Still need to go in and blend some stuff together better with greenstuff and fix some little things here and there.

Laughed a bit at the source of it but it looks badass if you look at it outside of the fact that it's Gorillaman converted to his worst enemy. I like how it captures the "ascended human" look, which fits the WBs very well, and which I prefer for CSM Demon Princes more than undifferentiated demons.

Are those red scorpions?

This guys took longer than I expected. Anyway, the stripes on the Liutenant helmet, red or yellow?

Yes, actually I have no idea if they have primaris or what. Just liked the colors.

Looks tight, user. The highlights on the shoulder pads look a bit patchy but otherwise it's really nice, perhaps a bit more "glowy" than I'd like but that's a personal preference.

Red for sure.

What bitz did you use for the Church Raider? Down the line I'm looking to make a Chaplain with a bodyguard in one.

Chances are they have Primaris honestly, they have a love affair with the codex that even matt ward cannot match. If girlyman sent them Primaris, they would have taken them in a heartbeat. One of my favorite chapters.

As for the helm. Give the sergeants a full red helm, vet sergeants a white stripe over the red.

Lt's I would do a red stripe only. Captain I would either leave white or yellow with a white stripe down the middle

Love those little shield details on the steeple

Thats a gorgeous white, I'm trying to get a very similar effect. Care to share how to achieved it?

Its suprisingly sturdy. It does not shake or wobble like for example Celestine.
It really looks a little weird from this angle. Here is a better one. With the cape and the wings he even looks a bit dynamic.
I have a plan for a future Lorgar conversion, its going to be even bigger.
My Word Bearers are grey/red and it helps binding him to the rest of the army.
God i hated painting them so very much. I really like the look of the final model, but i had to strip them, because my first try looked horrible.

What model is that?

love the dark tone and shading on the amour, looks really cool

Are you the user who painted those beatiful nurgle models? In any case that look pretty rad. Meaby the vertical highlights could use some sort of transition, but probably is too much work for a bolter primaris.

>God i hated painting them so very much

What really bothers me about them is there is almost no room for error with the shading, not very forgiving angles. Shit, I had issues glueing one set together, they still look kind of fucky.

Sup Veeky Forums, here's my cerastus titan WIP, it's my first attempt at edge highlighting, seems cool so far

Here are their official colour plates from Imperial Armour if it helps.

All Red Scorpions have yellow stripes/black shoulder pads and veterans have white helmets. Obviously you can do your own thing but just thought I'd let you know.

Full rear shot hopefully showing off my tryhard black and white admech symbol

Do you have one of those images for the imperial fists by chance? Im about to start an army up and I wanna make sure I do all the markings and shit right

Grey primer, lots of coats of really thin white primer from vallejo applied by brush, and nuln oil in the recesses. I really cant recommend this way, because it take ages. I have found the best method to achieve a clean white is with an airbrush.

Fuck, everything is wrong. Really apreciated user.

How would YOU paint something like this?

How's your Death Guard coming along /wip/?

I gotchu senpai. The Imperial Fists in 40k just use the standard Codex Astartes markings that the Ultramarines have. The first pic is what they used during the Horus Heresy if you want to go for the 30k legion look.

Scrolled right past that post the first time.

Great stuff, dude.

Someone wanted to see these in the last thread.

I realized I could do something on my board after all, by changing the order I wanted to do things in.
I now have stairs, which no model can actually use. Cutting out 99 1,5cm x 2cm had me considering calling it done for the day. The 2 support beams, of the right stairs, are only optical and will get a quick coating. Might have to add a third, but cork already starts as the support where it should be. The one for the left stairs will not be seen.
I also tried out the cobblestone textured roll with my rest of magic sculpt for the road. Originally I left the bases in their respektive recesses hoping to get a believable continuation after the gap they ahe to the rest of the board. While they were the height as my ground plate, the roll pushed them down differently, resulting in bad coverage for the mass on the board. As such I had to pluck them back out and did them seperatly. could have saved some work, if I had tested this on something beforehand. It was also less forgiving with uneven levels of mass, but that might have been do to the old magic sculpt and it having accumulated a tdying time of ca. an hour beforehand. I really wanted to finish the road in one smooth move, with some higher and lower areas included. This is what I got. still workable, especially since I was going to cover up some parts of it anyway. The bases stick out more than I had hoped they would. For the 32mm base my mask of slaanesh will be on, that was already predicted, as that base is 1mm higer than the 25mm ones.

These used to be ork nobz, got them off someone else, their iconography was sahved off in a lot of places and they were missing heads and their right arms. I had to use some bitz I had laying around like old school metal stomrbolter arms

thanks senpai!

What's a nice color to pair with purple? My army's main color is purple but I can't decide upon a secondary one. I thought about red but it seems to garish.

Just need to bsae the last guy from this squad, which has been sitting unpainted for so long I no longer had the same paints I used on the rest of the squad. Fucking terrible idea leaving some of a squad unpainted for so long.

You can't without transparent material.

I'd like to swap heads on my IG squad using cadian torsos, the problem is that the "neck" is too large. Should I cut down the neck or carve the torso to accomodate the head?

And they're done. Got all the models I bought for the warband for now painted, based and varnished. That was a fun couple of weeks.

Time to figure out my next project!

1/6

You can just snip the neck slightly. Done it many times, works a treat

2/6

Some warm color, orange, yellow or bone white.