Malifaux General

Malifaux General: Molemen Edition

Faction Stat Card Almanac:
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

>Books
Malifaux: mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach: mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models
Book 5 - New models & Master upgrades

Through the Breach 2E - Core Rulebook

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

wyrd-games.net/the-brewmaster/
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/129638-gaining-grounds-read-me/
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/131836-id-love-to-see-key-words-added-cleaned-up/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Now that the dust is settling, which master has improved most due to new Upgrades?

I'd definitely say Mah
She was pretty much unplayable before. Like pre-errata Lucius bad.

God damn this edo guy on the forums is the dumbest motherfucker. "How could this human know what democracy, a system that has existed for literally thousands of years and is used by the nation the breach is located in, is?. Has this human even been to earth before!?"

Mah Tucket definitely.

Everyone else feels they got side graded or got upgraded to fill in a weakness.

Mah got made playable.
Second would be brewmaster.

What did Brewmaster get to improve him? As far as I've understood he got more damage and can summon Wesley.

one of the upgrade is that if the target has poison, his ca ie: obey gains mask. Not having to burn the stupid stone or a card is very nice

Also more poison damage is actually pretty vast improvement seeing as he's not in permanent traffic jam, babysitting bunch of 5 health minions for the entire game.

What models are you guys most excited for in your faction in the new book?

The least excited?

Hinamatsu, I love me some puppets, even if I probably won't use her that much. The art looks really cool and I can tell she's going to be fun to paint.

Gwyneth for sure. She is such a lovely option for Lynch, and I will be using her to help set up brilliance and get cards.

Either Kandara; or the werewolf, since he's a werewolf. Honestly, not that excited about the Arcanist stuff this time around outside the upgrades.

I really can't take that werewolf seriously

I know that it is silly as fuck, but I love the touch the top hat adds to the beast. Then again I may be biased as I picked up the game in the first place because of Luther.

Speaking of Luther, I need a better Blessed because the plain one suck donkey dick, but standard Luther doesn't fit the Raspy theme.

What I'm asking is: Luther in an ushanka and a Soviet army-style greatcoat, good idea? shitty idea? "you're gonna ruin the mini but do it anyway"-idea?

>"you're gonna ruin the mini but do it anyway"-idea?
Those are the best kinds of ideas.
I gave nekima pigtails because I hated the stock head, no regets

This
He's a cool model, but the at is just bad.

>"you're gonna ruin the mini but do it anyway"-idea?
This.
The general of my old 40k any had a power shovel.

I think that the Blessed is fine. The illustration isn't flattering, but the actual model has a good amount of detail. Is the old Blessed not up to your standards either?

Model wise? All the stuff for resers looks meh.

Rules wise they're all good though.

Holy shit, the werewolf is Vogel's alt form? That instantly makes him 1000% better in my eyes.

The old Blessed is meh but bearable, my problem is that she's practically impossible to get here without paying international shipping.

>Most excited
Everyone is going gaga over criers, but I really like the Wrastlers. Just really really damn solid with no glaring weakspots.

>Least excited
The smuggler. God, I want her to be good, but her best ability helps the opponent card cycle and it completely up to the opponent.

>Everyone is going gaga over criers
They must be seeing something I'm not. They seem like a thoroughly "meh" support piece.

The appeal is mostly the card cycling that's complimentary with other discard abilities in the faction and it working really well with Somer and Mah.

Out of all the new stuff that gremlins got, it's the most combo intensive piece and people love combos.

The only combo I've seen so far was with Anious.
>Look! Bayou Gremlins with reactivate for practically no card investment!
>At the low low cost of 6 and 2/3 bayou Gremlins!

Painted a Witchling today. Pretty happy with it. Lucius box is on order but I think when it gets here I'll try to convert the guild guard into Death Marshals. Just need some flaming skulls and maybe a coffin.

Nice. Did you get them with Sonnia, or separately? I am personally planning on getting an extra box so I can have six of them with Sonnia.

Got it in the Sonnia box. Planning on doing all my Guild in Black + Red with green gem/fire/whatever

Mah with her new upgrades will discard then draw cards so crier will allow for more draws.
Trixe triggers draws for cheating initiative.
Francois's showdown practically becomes free
Mancha Roja's thousand masks
Old Cranky nets you 2 cards with his 0 action
Lightning bugs
etc etc

The Brewmaster is about as terrible as ever. It's an upgrade requiring even more set up and a very unreliable damage source. The one thing you really got out of this is -1 SS on Wesley and even then it costs you your 6" push turn 1.

#
I think it's mostly a problem of his minions being shit. If you have him acess to reser shit, he'd fuck stuff up with poison and obeys.

Even then the Brewmaster himself isn't a very good poison master. You'd think that +2 damage to poison would absolutely wreck but when they're in range of getting +2 damage they're in range of getting (occasionally forced) healing flips with every single action they do. And that mask to obey is far too specific an ability. It should've either been a straight mask to obey targets period, as to not force him to set something up first, or been a mask to every duel including You're Drunk, Go Home.

Whatever the designers are doing, they clearly don't give a shit about bumping weaker masters specifically and the ones that got bumped I'm gonna assume were just a happy accident.

I think that a lot of weaker masters got what they deserved. Brewmaster just happens to not be one of those, even if what he got is kind of an improvement.

Honestly he'd be amazing as a Resser master.
>Flesh Constructs can now heal and add posison to themselves.
>Belles obeying things at -3 willpower.
>Poison charging dogs
>Is a Gremlin for Little Gassers Swamp gas
>Infect triggers everywhere for easy obeys
>Sebastian's poison death aura
>Rafkin's Damage aura
>Terrifying things having ridiculously tough horror duels

His only real problem is that he's built around poison synergizes, that nothing in either of his factions deals in. If he could hand out poison 3+ easily he'd be a monster with obeys and negative flips on an effective 10 cast.

>Belles obeying
Luring

I painted up the Goryo today, and they really reminded me how much I enjoy painting Malifaux minis (other than the obsession the designers seem to have with making tiny, shallow clothing folds for everything). Shame I never really got into the game, it looks fun and I ended up with a fuckton of minis a few years back by going on a ten thunders kick AKA "let's just buy it all".

I know the feeling. I paint often, but almost never play. The game is good, probably one of the best miniature games on the market.

Why do you keep bringing forum nonames here? Literally nobody cares.
Hoffman.

I'm the opposite I'm a terrible painter and I hate it. I used to be able to con one of my friends into it who hated assembly and loved painting.

>Hoffman
I don't know if he's improved as much as Mah, but he got a pretty big jump. Figuratively and literally.

Post some pics.

I still have a little to finish on them and lack a way to really take photos on my own (no smart phone or regular camera, I'm not a big pictures person) but I'll try to get them up tomorrow night, along with whatever crew/models I start working on in the meantime (Yan Lo, Archers, Ten Thunder Brothers, or Lynch)

>and is used by the nation the breach is located in
Where IS the Earthside end of the Breach, anyway?

It's either Arizona or Nevada if I remember.

How does it help foes card cycle? It just has a discard for foes.

After the swap, the enemy draws a card.

Read the full text of the Swap.

Brewmasters ap fucking sucks. 2 poison is usually one third of mcmournings output for 1 ap at less range, swill is objectively worse than voices pandora and barely better than molly. His engage is only 2 inches and drinking contest only 3. He has 5 df, 12 wounds and no real defensive abilities. Brewmaster fucking sucks and it has nothing to do with his minions. I mean shit barbaros' challenge aura is bigger than drinking contest, has a higher tn, doesnt heal enemies and is in a better wp abuse faction.
Brewies badness has nothing to do with moon shinobi being shitty.

There is never ever a situation where brewie is a good pick over zoraida in gremlin or shenlong in thunders, seriously.

Brewie didnt get mask vs poison on all duels because misdirection exists. Though really lets face it it would not have been a bad idea to just let him have that. Wouldnt fix gremlin brewie though.

Even with auto-misdirect and an ever present chance of being sent to your deployment zone he still wouldn't be a good master. He just wouldn't be attacked as often.

They wont buff hom because they are worried about new player experience but pandora, hamelin and perdita are all apparently fine despite being noob annhilators. Tyrants help the poor bastards who fight raspy as their first matchup.

That pretty much sums up Brewie's issues. He's a poison master in a faction without any impressive poison support. Add in that all his thematic pieces are weird scheme guys and you get one weird master.

Compare the Scorpius from Arcanists before McMourning could get his hands on it and Marcus got Venomancy.

See Mcmourning puts out more poison with powerful innate healing and is far more tanky and mobile. In guild he is taken almost always with only his totem for poison support and still is considered a powerful and consistent beater and schemer, able to support his crew if needed.

I don't disagree with that. I just wanted to say that his thematic minions and faction make him suck even more.

bad + bad = double bad.

Akaname and tanuki are funny too, since they help out poison in tt... but not for brewie. Akaname thrive on corpse/scrap markers which come from either oni models that dont do much for brewie or killing things whilst brewie is all control. Tanuki help load poison onto allies with scheme markers but that benefits shenlong and yu more than brewie, plus their offense lowers poison on foes bringing their wp back up. I suppose akaname could have use for brewie in gremlins thanks to mechchop and taxidermists though.
If I was to take a tri chi crew right now it would be shenlong, 2 akaname, 2 tanuki, sensei yu, peasants, and fermented monk or two. Lots of activations and reactivations, easy scheme markers that yu can push around and decent combat potential. All without relying on poison damage boosts.

Making armor in able to be ignored is pretty huge for him.

Having played against Yan Lo, his upgrades are quite a boost too. Giving a master casting expert and instinctual is brutal.

Curiously, in trying to make Tri-Chi and poison a thing they highlight how retarded it is to require a terrible 2 SS upgrade to bring the other faction's. In TT you occasionally wanted to bring it for Wesley, but Wesley just got a 3 SS discount, and you're hardly gonna bring it for the Tanuki or Fermented Monksin Gremlins who are by all accounts not very good to begin with.

So you have a theme consisting almost entirely of weak models, separated by 2 wasted SS, a master that does miles better ignoring that theme altogether after 5 books of attempted boosts and Wyrd is still not showing any hint of even just understanding him, let alone fix him.

Clearly no one on the team gives a single fuck about him. I'm still holding my fingers crossed for the slightest hint of attention next errata but even if they do I doubt it'll achieve anything judging by how far off they are every time they try to give him something. This batch of upgrades was the perfect opportunity to buff him without needing to alter cards, and this shit is what we got.

Can anyone who was in the closed beta give some insight in how the discussion around him went?

Yeah i cant see Tanuki really working in gremlins. With sensei yu to push them around whilst they sleep and drag their markers along with them they seem good, but what would they do in gremlins outside of giving whiskey golem reactivate? I mean its not bad to give whiskey golem reactivate but its not revolutionary.
Fermented Monks desperately require either Akaname, Shenlong/Peasants or Tanuki to feed them poison so they can hit for min 4 or reactivate. Models like Toshiro help support them even further in TT whilst in gremlins they have 0 synergies.

Here's my brewmaster fix. 4 Inch engagement range straight up. 4 inch drinking contest as a permenant aura, no 0 required. Adds 2 poison on a disengaging strike, but has a built in trigger (seperate to the +1 swill one) for another +2 poison so he can just load up an akaname, fermented monk etc straight away or give an enemy a really bad fucking time. Infiltration Tri Chi on the card with running tab getting a new ability similar to what happened to tara. A good choice might be to give brewie a huge pulse of lowering enemy poison to put scheme markers in base contact with them, having them "throw up" stuff you use as scheme markers.
New 0 to replace drinking contest, a bigass pulse of YOUR CREW takes a drink, even if they arent near brewmaster. Worst case you get 1 poison and heal 1, best case your crew gets a bunch of nice heals and powers its poison abilities. Change your drunk go home entirely. As it stands its bullshit when it happens to you and it barely happens so brewie doesn't like it either. Maybe make it just a tome or even a built in tome for "takes a walk action controlled by brewmaster" that way you can take a disengaging strike on them to poison them if you want or just have them leave you alone. Would still require the enemy to fail.

Maybe build in the mask to obey but give it a double mask trigger? Overall i don't think his obey necessarily needs to be buffed if all his other shit gets touched up. Perdita never needed a mask on her obey.

To show how much wyrd cares about brewie look here
wyrd-games.net/the-brewmaster/
>In addition to Poison, the Brewmaster can also hand out the incredibly deliberating Swill Condition,
>the incredibly deliberating Swill Condition
>incredibly deliberating
Did they mean debilitating? Were they drunk when they wrote this?

>Most excited
Suprisingly I am mostly interested in the Gravediggers. No idea how I am going to make them work with Molly, but here is some experimenting going on.

>Least excited.
Little Gasser. Did we get an actual fart joke? No. Just no.

>Did we get an actual fart joke?
The only surprise is that it took so long.

So'mer had this fart joke for a long time. It's just now getting exported to the super serious zombie hookers faction.

Spirit Molly tends to make more corpses than she uses. Gravediggers could pick up corpses from shieldbearers and gaki then go wheel off somewhere so phillip can turn em into scheme markers. Phillip could also target them with corpse bloat for a nice pulse of damage. Remember its a pulse so the gravedigger itself is ignored.

>super serious zombie hookers faction
Um

That's my point. Ressers are already pretty silly. After Gremlins they're probably the jokiest faction.

I'm honestly upset that little Gassers aren't goal faction. Although maybe it's news we'll get some cool Gremlin/Resser dual faction master. Like a Master taxidermist.

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/129638-gaining-grounds-read-me/

New GG18 yo

Some kind of !not mcmourning for gremlins will be cool.

I believe you can't trigger disengagement strike if you control the model since it's yours while controlling

As long as it doesn't day it considers the model friendly then any action where you control an enemy to walk you can trigger a disengaging strike, even from the controling model.

Please proofread before posting.

I think so to. Ophelia got a master slot. A not McMourning would be cool

Or a not!Nicodem. Sorta like a straight man, to all the zanyness around him.

I'm honestly glad I'm not the only phone but poster.

It also would open up some more design space for "undead levi cant take" its usually not a problem, but for every ten undead ideas that would not be broken with levi there is one cool idea that has some broken combo if you could take it in outcasts. If they made the gremlin/ressur guy's theme crew dual faction models they would be available to ressur but not to levi!
Though really with levi i hope in mk3 they replace the pariah system as it is now with him being pseudo-factionless, only hiring theme crew and both pariahs. A bit like he used to be. No mercenaries too!

>If they made the gremlin/ressur guy's theme crew dual faction models they would be available to ressur but not to levi!
That would be cool.

>Though really with levi i hope in mk3 they replace the pariah system as it is now with him being pseudo-factionless
Yeah, that's sort of what Outcasts were meant to be, for the most part. Oddballs that didn't fit in other places.

I'd be interested to see what a next edition (if/when that happens) brings.

Yeah in many ways outcasts has managed to be both cohesive and yet oddballs, but Levi, Jack and Misaki have kind of failed at it. Its hard to see why Jack wouldn't just be a ressur, Levi's crew mechanic makes him feel too oddball and Misaki may as well be single faction Ten Thunders.
Hamelin is a bit of an odd case too but they do point out he often manipulates those at the fringes of society into working for him, so having mercenaries etc work for him makes a lot of sense and even some of his other picks (ashes and dust, deso engine) fit the idea he understands ancient artifacts well.

Yeah, Outcasts are weird. Levi and Tara are spooky, but at least they're people who function somewhat normally in society, or the fringes of it.

But how does Daw hire mercenaries? I'd love to see that Help Wanted ad.

I mean, I can kind of see how Misaki could fit into it given that the Ten Thunders have a 'public' face in their mafia people. Misaki's presence in the outcasts sort of makes sense if she ran the enforcement arm of their gangs.

Actually their gangs are TT, not outcasts. Misaki is supposedly an outcast because she keeps doing things outside of the ten thunders due to her lust for freedom.

Which is it the window now.
Ramos being locked up puts a pretty big wedge in-between arcanists and M&SU.
Ressers and told are pretty united.
Neverborn just had a schism.
And a bunch of outcasts are getting together for more of a unified "New Horizons" faction.

I'm interested to see how the story develops, and how it's reflected in game play.

Fug I quit phone posting

When ghost of Christmas past says "I got fiddy soul stones, work for me" you fucking say yes

>Ressurs are pretty united
Molly and Kirai want to murder all the other ressurs, Tara has more or less washed her hands of the ressurs after the ball, Yan Lo is actively working against Nicodem and Reva has no real connection to the rest of the faction's masters.

Every day that Albus Von Schtook has not become a master pains me. He has most of his thematic crew already, why must they deny us him?

Molly wants to kill Seamus. I don't think she cares about anyone the. Kirai is an any chubby why extra to kill everyone, except Molly. Yan Lo and Tara were never really Resers, they shoved in just to babe things shoved in to balance things.

The Resser story shows they're pretty good at banding together to get shit fine if they have to.

Next to guild, they're the most united faction. Well, maybe third most after the Gremlin story.

STOP
JUST STOP PHONEPOSTING
You have a problem man this isn't legible.
The ressur story shows 3 of them banding together, the only 3 out of 8 that would do so.
Also right now Lucius, Mccabe, Lady Justice, McMourning, Sonnia and Perdita all have problems with each other and/or the governor general. Only Nellie and Hoffman actually still have strong ties to the faction, the rest are either out of a job or otherwise having serious issues with the faction.
Right now the most united faction ironically is Outcasts, with everyone but Jack Daw being on the same team.

Because Ressers is too crowded after promoting Molly and letting Tara in to meet quotas. I think the main inlet is that they don't have a good design space that doesn't overlap. Not that that stopped Molly.

Naw. Guild is fine.
Not being chummy enough to go to the same poker game doesn't mean you're not effective co-workers.

>JUST STOP PHONEPOSTING
Nevar

Reported. Proofread or fuck off.

Reva is just seamus' playstyle but with corpse markers instead of a big gun. Design space isn't something they are all that worried about.
Albus has plenty of space as the first user of scrap in ressurs (his focus is amalgamations) and could interact with horrors in a different way to Molly. Its not hard to imagine him as someone that "teaches" his crew, reforming them into other types of student and supporting them. Like rather than summoning in the traditional sense he would kill his student to make another student myranda style.
Also the students are presented all as specialists, Von Schtook himself could have a set of abilties that make him behave differently against different types of foe, like perhaps a condition skill that causes suffocating to the living, fragile to the undead and slow/paralyze to constructs.

>Reported
Reported for reporting

That does sound swank.
Maybe give him abominations and or cheap 'pupil' totems he can upgrade.

Reported for reporting reports.

Groundskeeper henchman and professor minions Groundskeeper cleans away markers to keep the crew (literally) focused and could use the transfer student trigger a lot. Professors could be yet another source of lecture notes and fuel card draw for flurries etc. Maybe give them a mcmourning style ability to make foes count as other things too? They could have a bury maybe for detention and tara synergy.

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/131836-id-love-to-see-key-words-added-cleaned-up/

theme fags are the worst

I like it.
Maybe include some alternate student models in a crew box. Maybe a cap and gown style "graduation day" box.

I'm super excited for Talos, I love the sculpt and the rules seem to be nice for an aggressive bury Tara with her new upgrades
The rest of the Outcasts I'm on the fence about, because despite Marlena doing awesome things for masters, I'm not entirely sold on the art, Freikorps Engineer was something I was hyped for in the playtest that I hate the design of as well. Stalker is cool, he's gonna take some getting used to but I can get use out of him (nice sculpt too if a tad simple) but Benny Wolcomb looks shit and does jack shit for who I'd use him with (Parker, don't own Hamelin yet)

Anyone have any experience running Sun Quiang yet?