Fuckin puzzles

Holy shit how the fuck do I make a puzzle that isnt just a riddle or some stupid questions for my party to solve

Other urls found in this thread:

silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Puzzles
gateworld.net/wiki/Avalon
youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg
quora.com/How-do-you-find-the-positive-integer-solutions-to-frac-x-y z- -frac-y-z x- -frac-z-x y-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sliding tiles puzzles are pretty quick and dirty

I want something that will make them think instead of "alright now ill move here and then ill move it there"

Square the circle.

have them ask questions to a ghost with this thing

is it 12?

i hef two guard
one guard he tell the truff
one guard he tell the not

A task with variable levels of success. Depends on what type of task you want to give them, and what the consequences will be.

Get one of these.

yes

Blatantly stolen from one of my favourite vidya, but it's a good simple puzzle;

Your party finds themselves in a long room with two statues of ((things)) guarding ((macguffin)) at the opposite end to the door. The statues each have a hand/paw/whatever held out as if demanding something.
There's a square pillar in the centre of the room with a recess and plaque which reads;
>"Offer seven stones equally to two ((things))."
In the recess is a gem.

On the walls to either side are also recesses containing gems and plaques. Three of both on either side.
The other plaques read as follows;
>"Aquamarine is worth half as much as the black onyx."
>"Opal and sapphire together are worth as much as the black onyx and emerald put together."
>"The diamond is worth as much as the aquamarine and emerald put together."
>"The emerald is worth twice as much as the aquamarine, black onyx, and opal put together."
>"The sapphire is worth as much as the black onyx and opal put together."
>"The ruby is worth twice as much as the black onyx."
Now, if the party solves the puzzle they get the ((macguffin)) no sweat.
If they fail the puzzle, the statue with the lowest value of gems will attack, if they win this fight they can get to the ((macguffin)).
If they attempt to bypass the puzzle or leave with the gems, both statues will attack (this should be a very difficult encounter for your party) and depending on how much of a dick you feel like being, lose out on getting ((macguffin)).

The numerical value of each gem is;
Aquamarine = 1
Black Onyx = 2
Opal = 3
Ruby = 4
Sapphire =5
Emerald = 6
Diamond = 7
Though they don't have to be gems, they can be anything you want.

i'm probably reading it wrong but I thing the answer is 1

Abstract a common game, like solitaire

The answer is 12, you need to remember your order of operations, multiplication happens first. This means that only the 1 that is multiplied by 0 becomes 0 and then the rest are added up as normal.

C: Impossible in the game engine, moving surfaces can't be portal-ed.

Also, logically A. The portal imparts no momentum to the object and the object's momentum is conserved, not the portal.

La-Mulana?

>"The emerald is worth twice as much as the aquamarine, black onyx, and opal put together."
Sorry, that should be;
>The emerald is worth as much as the aquamarine, black onyx, and opal put together."

I'm purely shit posting and you are absolutely right by game logic but all surfaces are moving in the real world so it's a moot point.

What is the last number of pi?

The Hammers is the nickname of what English football team?

wtf what retard did this gif? The Q is on the left circle, there is a curved line made just for the Q, why did he put it in the right circle?

Nope, Shining the Holy Ark

I use Rory’s Story Cubes,I have bought nearly all of the sets and have I think 63 of them.I randomly pick 4,1 for each party member and roll them.then looking at the pictures on the dice faces I assign 1 of the 6 D&D attributes to each face and then have the PCs choose which 1 they will solve and treat as a skill attribute test.in my system if the PC has a good stat ten he rolls 10 plus with advantage,if he has a not good stat he just rolls 10 plus on a d20.if all Player Characters make their rolls then the Riddle/Special is solved.Voila!

That's interesting because the exact same puzzle is in la-mulana

I'll check out that game too though.

I B.

A only makes intuitive sense according to the thoughts of plebeians.

The relevant momentum is the box's velocity relative to the portal. If the box is moving at high speed relative to the blue portal when it enters it, it's going to be moving at the same high speed relative to the orange portal when it exits it. Because the blue portal and orange portal are in fact the SAME portal, just different sides of it. The box exits the orange side at exactly the same speed it enters the blue side.

You'll also note that the blue portal doesn't stop moving until AFTER the box has gone through it, at which point it's too late to arrest the box's velocity through the portal. In order for A to happen, the blue side of the portal has to stop moving before the box goes completely through the portal as the part of the box that hasn't gone through yet will act as a brake on the part that already has. And even then it's doubtful that the box will stick to the initial surface unless it's glued there since the inertia of the part of the box that already went through will be pulling it into the air.

I didn't know that. Google says La-Mulana came out in 2005, whereas Shining the Holy Ark was released in late 1996. So, I guess the La-Mulana dev ripped it off.

Probably. Game's still fun if you are really into metroidvanias. if not then stay away. It's fucking hard

This is very long logic. you can simulate this by putting something small like a marble in your hand and then make a circle with your other hand. If you slam you circle hand onto the hand with the marble, as long as the hand with the marble doesn't move neither would the marble.

Do you belief in God?

Does God believe in me?

THIS SENTENCE IS FALSE!

Portals are not meant to be taken seriously ffs.

In a race, the quickest runner can never overtake the slowest, since the pursuer must first reach the point whence the pursued started, so that the slower must always hold a lead.

In the paradox of Achilles and the tortoise, Achilles is in a footrace with the tortoise. Achilles allows the tortoise a head start of 100 meters, for example. If we suppose that each racer starts running at some constant speed (one very fast and one very slow), then after some finite time, Achilles will have run 100 meters, bringing him to the tortoise's starting point. During this time, the tortoise has run a much shorter distance, say, 10 meters. It will then take Achilles some further time to run that distance, by which time the tortoise will have advanced farther; and then more time still to reach this third point, while the tortoise moves ahead. Thus, whenever Achilles arrives somewhere the tortoise has been, he still has some distance to go before he can even reach the tortoise. Therefore, because there are an infinite number of points Achilles must reach where the tortoise has already been, he can never overtake the tortoise.

But it would still pass through the circle of your hand. The function of portals is that the other side of that circle is stationary and not physically attached to either hand.

>Classic shitposting

Well meme'd. I was wondering how long it would take before someone posted this.

Engineering education coming in handy: it's a system of equations. All you have to do is continue substituting until you get to where you want.
1) Aq=(1/2)Bo
2) Op + Sp = Bo + Em
3) Di = Aq + Em
4) Em = Aq + Bo + Op
5) Sp = Bo + Op
6) Ru = 2Bo
We have 6 equations and 7 unknowns (the value of each gem), so we have to make an assumption. Not looking at the answer, I see that Bo appears in a lot of equations, but there's at least one gem with a value half of it. For simplicity, I'll assume Bo=2.
From there:
1) Aq = (1/2)Bo = (1/2)2 = 1
4) Em = Aq + Bo + Op = 1 + 2 + Op = 3 + Op
2) Op + Sp = Bo + Em -> Op + Sp = 2 + 3 + Op -> Sp = 5
5) Sp = 2 + Op -> Op = 3
2) Em = Op + Sp - Bo = 3 + 5 - 2 = 6
6) Ru = 2Bo = 4
3) Di = Aq + Em = 1 + 6 = 7
Summarize:
Aq:1
Bo:2
Op:3
Ru:4
Sp:5
Em:6
Di:7

I just did this for fun, but I guess it'll be useful if you want to know HOW to do it for your players.

it would pass through and in the example it would just plop down because of the gravity

Your problem is hard to work into a game. Here's a better version.

IN THE CURSED CHAMBER OF TIME, YOU ONLY MOVE HALF AS FAR AS YOU DID THE PREVIOUS ROUND. CAN YOU CLAIM THE TREASURE... IN TIME?

>Infinite number of points

That's only in theory. In reality, the number of points is finite, dictated by Planck's Constant thus the thought experiment fails and it explains why distance exists in our universe.

The thought experiment fails because Achilles runs faster than a tortoise and wins the race.

Make it so that it can't be solved by the wizard casting spells at it like some old adventure game

This is a better riddle because people who know of the original will blurt out the answer without thought and it puts it into context of the game.

Touche.

Is this before or after he gets shot in the heel?

The REAL question emerges

You can save yourself some time by just saying it's because of Galilean invariance, and call anyone who disagrees a brainlet

t. Veeky Forums

>Implying he knew what that was

:^)

Define "think"

All cats have four legs
My dog has four legs

make them take a moment to try and figure out how to solve it. I want it to be challenging enough that they will feel happy and pretty proud of themselves to solve it, but not so long that it would take the whole damn session and leave them frustrated until the next one.

octopi have 8 legs thus they are two pussies in one.

And why don't sliding puzzles fit that parameter then?

THE GOAT LEAVES NO TRACE BEHIND.

30. Do Order of Operations first. The last 1 of row 1 and the first 1 of row 2 is actually 11. Same goes for last 1 in row 2 and first 1 in row 3.

get one of those big optical illusions and tell them they cant continue until they can see a dog

>Not including addition marks between lines
I can only assume this means the question is asking
>(1 + 1 * 0 + 1 = ?)
Which would resolve to
>(1 + (1 * 0) + 1 = ?)
>(1 + 0 + 1 = ?)
>(2 = ?)

That is less of a true logic or math problem and more of a test of whether you know the notation.

The first two lines don't have any operators connecting them to the third, so that means that they are separate equations, and that the third line is the only part of the problem that matters, which would make it 2.

My players would totally pick option B.

No, it can't be 12. The first line is never linked to the second, and the second is never linked to the third.

The first and second lines are irrelevant and a trap. The answer is 2.

because it seems to simple. It's always just move this piece here and doesn't have any real twists to it. I want something that will intimidate my player and not take up a shit ton of space.

Just jack some puzzles from Silent Hill.
silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Puzzles

Portal 2 has moving surfaces that you can place portals on.

Stargate's knights of the round table episodes have good puzzles.

I suggest stealing the "reflect" puzzle and the two pots puzzle from the Avalon episode.

gateworld.net/wiki/Avalon

bumbadill the boofiddly with a thumgarvenwatch.

Try this.

Slow down there einstein.

>Moving surfaces can't have portals.
Except for the one you use with laser to cut the neurotoxin cables with.
Anyways portals break the laws of physics, chances are that the object would simply disintegrate after being subjected to infinitely high acceleration.

I spend my first round moving the entire distance to the treasure.

I think I've got it:
youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg

It's a little involved but here's what I'm doing for my next session: Pcs are ghost hunting, the four ghosts each wear a mask with a different emotion on them--fear, joy, hate, and misery. Scattered around the ghosts swamp are scraps of a book depicting the ghosts' story--four sisters running away from four sifferwnt situations. The players have to piece together the story and then decide which ghost is which sister, because saying the ghosts' real name is the only way to lay them to rest.

Then how do you leave the room?

>Not walking in circles for a bit before moving to the actual treasure.
It's like you want to get stuck in limbo.

try this

"Samantha"
"She turns, evidently surprised to hear her sister's name, but is otherwise unfazed"
"Sarah"
"She approaches you, claws outstr-"
"Beverly"
"Fuck off stop guessing all the-"
"Emily"
"Fine fuck you you did it, asshole"

Oh, and they have to be positive whole numbers.

>The PCs see the puzzle engraved on the wall.
>3 stone bowls are in the center of the room, engraved with an apple, banana, and pineapple.
>The walls of the room are lined with jars of identical marbles
>The marbles are made of mundane glass, but they glow softly when placed inside of one of the bowls.

Shit nigga you're gonne need a LOT of marbles for that puzzle

Only the penintent man will pass

Only in the footsteps of God shall he proceed

Only in the leap from the lion's head shall he prove his worth

You dont need a degree in math or engineering faggot. It is basic math skills that could be done by almost anyone that is above average.

An empty room with the word "Overthinking" written on one wall.

Give them a literal puzzle to put together.

Other then that it's impossible because dungeon puzzles at their CORE are a riddle or question that needs to be answered.

Make it be a situation that actually makes logical sense but it requires the PCs to discover and realize what happened.
So more like a murder mystery crime scene instead of a page from a puzzle book.

You think you can fuck with a computer science major?

Gime a sec while I set my computer to quantum mode because this looks elliptical.

Mother fucker....

apple=154476802108746166441951315019919837485664325669565431700026634898253202035277999

Banana=36875131794129999827197811565225474825492979968971970996283137471637224634055579

Pineapple=4373612677928697257861252602371390152816537558161613618621437993378423467772036

Where is my boon?!

Remember Billy, being right doesn't matter if you don't show your work.

quora.com/How-do-you-find-the-positive-integer-solutions-to-frac-x-y z- -frac-y-z x- -frac-z-x y-4

Remember Billy, unless you write out all the trivial steps yourself, it doesn't count because school is about rote memorization and mindless repetition instead of actual thought and learning.

F U, Im ending this.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Remember Billy, summoning somebody else's great old one is plagiarism. You have to make your own great old one and summon it.

I did this once as a joke.
One player got the joke and explained it to everyone. Then I opened the door when they said the key phrase.
Which they got pathetically easy thanks to said friend.

You know what, I will, I am going to write a derivative dark horror novel set in the early 19th century about a rich man trying to cure his syphilis and going ahead with trying the occult as a last alternative. Only to find that what he sought was so inconsequential when compared to bringing the incomprehensible to our plane of existence. ALL OF THIS SO I CAN PLEASE YOU. ARE YOU PROUD NOW DAD?!

I will be when you finish your book, Billy. Not a second sooner.

Maybe I could have a consequence if they guess wrong? Like she lets out a spooky screech that does damage to everybody?

>Holy shit how the fuck do I make a puzzle that isnt just a riddle or some stupid questions for my party to solve

You don't.

If you want to give the players something to solve, give them a mystery, whomst murdered whom, what happened to that grain shipment.

Remember Students, that summoning archaic sentient concepts from before the light of creation isn't a marketable solution to your finances.
Instead produce a cartoon to sell figurines to children.

Pictured from left to right: Aharakakhanunan, the Emptiness that fills the womb from the moment of birth and leaves all women barren and alone on their deathbeds
Qrhkghrlt-bert the phantom son of sperm and blackface after their primordial affair that constituted the difference between adhesive substances.
and my nephew, who we cast as the main character.

You know, after we made them fit for day-time television.

I did this once. I even had a wallpaper made for it.