Do you have seals in your setting? Where do they live? Do they differ from seals in our world? Are they cute?!

Do you have seals in your setting? Where do they live? Do they differ from seals in our world? Are they cute?!

Seals motherfuckers! Talk about them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3L7VJl76i9U
youtu.be/48vn7Q0W1Ls?t=28
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They got seven of 'em and we're bustin' em all out for the big show.

It's a bit warm for most seals in the city the players operate out of, on the southern coast, and only gets hotter the further north you go. The mainland opposite the isle is largely craggy desert for a good distance in either direction, and beyond that is too distant to be of concern to the citizens of the isle.

I might add a colony of Strait Seals, living in the strait between the isle and the mainland, just because seals are bitchin' and it's not going to change the setting up too much.

>seals
The only ones that concern my players are the ones that aren't vaccum tight...

All settings should contain seals.
youtube.com/watch?v=3L7VJl76i9U

Yes.
They're known to walk into clubs.
No.
Yes.

I like the idea that coastal races in a fantasy setting would have trained sea lions.

>Smelly
>Useless animals worse than girrafes but better than pandas
>Make retarded noises
>Only good for their fat
No

>Do you have seals in your setting?

Yes.

>Where do they live?

In every ocean, both fresh and saltwater seas, and even in a couple of particularly large lakes.

>Do they differ from seals in our world?

There are no real 'arctic waters' within the setting or any body of water that possess ice, so walruses and leopard seals aren't present, though you will see elephant seals and occasionally dire breeds- complete with tusks. Seals & sea lions directly compete for food with smaller species of plesiosaur, pliosaur, and a particular species of marine-bird that resembles a seal-like penguin hybrid called "pelos". All of these animals feed mainly on fish, ammonites, squid, shell fish, and even soft corals and can be found on both sand or rock beaches living in large communities- even adjacent to one another if prey & breeding space is plentiful.
Seals are an important food source for larger creatures such as mosasaurs, sharks, hydras, sea serpents, and adolescent rocs. Indigenous populations of cyclopes have traditionally relied on seals (especially elephant seals) for hides, ivory, meat, and blubber for it's use in light oil.

>Are they cute?!

They can be.

Yiff in hell

I was thinking of making them the 'big dumb bruiser' race, with hearts of gold and loving to cuddle of course.

Yes. They live in most of the known seas. Around where the PCs conduct most of their business (small kingdoms in the north) they are prolific enough to show up in mythological stories. The sea god is said to ride on one (or possibly have is chariot be drawn by one, and the sun god and the god of mischief is said to have battled against each other in the form of seals on craggy islands to the east.
Their meat and fat are also valued commodities.

They don't differ all that much from ordinary seals, but then, I'm also no biologist and do not feel like making sure my seals act or function exactly like real seals either. So until stated otherwise they appear enough like real world seals to appear to be but probably aren't.

They're more like polar selkies based of of leopard seals. They love crafting spears from entire dire narwhal tusks, but their more useful as symbols of power than for actual combat.

Egg?

They tend to go around in groups and beat weaker things into submission with clubs.

I want to hugg that seal

AAAAAAAAAAA

egg

Not anymore.

?
>Smelly
>Useless animals worse than girrafes but better than pandas
>Make retarded noises
>Only good for NOTHING
youtu.be/48vn7Q0W1Ls?t=28

CANADIANS OUT

Stay salty.

My current setting is a space one, so technically yes, but nowhere close to viewpoint.

BUT
Suince seals are pretty much sea doggos, I can easily envision a fantasy setting where seals fill the same niches for merfolk that wolves and their descendants fill for humans

>not having uplifted dolphins and seals as pilots in scifi

Aliens didn't bother looking too hard and only took primitive humans with them

>having aliens with no aesthetic sense

Alright, I'll say it.
That seal has no right to look so happy and be so snuggly looking.
But he is, and I'm happy for him that he is happy.

In my setting, seals long ago evolved into creepy-cute elves.

That's why they are mostly dead now

Sounds very pulpy. I like it.

Of course, where do you think those fur coats come from?

Seals can be seen throughout the archipelago, particularly among the eastern islands. Some villages out that way make a pretty large portion of their living hunting them, eating the meat and trading pelts and bones to imperial merchants for fine tools, spices, weapons, forigen magics, and the other byproducts of "civilized" life.

Like most wildlife in the setting, they run a larger gamut in size than they do in real life, from just a little bigger than normal to full blown vivir-tainted dire seals the size of bus. Being a sea creature, partial taint is a lot more common than is typical for land animals so the dire divide isn't quite so stark. You see examples all across that gradient rather than simply normal seals and the occasional giant.

So they're all Tusk?

We're they genocides due to a lack of aesthetics, or was the lack itself a flaw that hampered them?

Or is this a doylist explanation?

We got a pet penguin, but no seals.

They're mostly dead because they humans rebelled and put themselves into ruling position. Which happened because they let humans hugely outweigh them. Which happened because they made humans a servant race. Which happened because they took humans to the stars. Which happened because humans were a combination of kinda smart, recourceful and had good manipulators. Also, because aliens were too lazy to look underwater for other intelligent species

In my current setting, seals are a race of smug assholes who think they are the hottest shit ever, only to cry home about PTSD and write books about their 'black ops' mission.

Don't cut yourself on that edge, bin Laden

Wolf seals and seal-dogs are super common in the most northern reaches of my current, otherwise cold setting.

What about sharks

That sounds a lot like Moorcock. Though that could be because prince whateverhisnameis was of an eleven race that evolved from dolphins or something and that I'm silly drunk.