EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: Are you going to prerelease this weekend?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgprice.com/sets/Magic_Origins/Sengir_Vampire
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Please respond

>Question
yes, hoping to pull or trade for beckett brass or the dino legendary

I am.
I'm dressing as a pirate.

Also, as a really fantastic coincidence, the library I work for is hosting a halloween thing in a few weeks, and I was shanghaied into dressing like a pirate, for a "Read a book to a Pirate event."

I'm going to see if some of my local game stores would be willing to donate some Treasure Tokens, as well as see if I can get Reddit to also send me some.

You mean U/R.
B is Black.

Remember: Editions help anyone who actually wants to filter through the archives, even if they're lame. Otherwise, good work.

>Are you going to prerelease this weekend?
Sunday, as with every prerelease.

OP here. I could literally not give a shit less about edition, if you want to filter through the archive click the view button. Please find time in your busy day to kill yourself.

>Thread Question
Yep, going at midnight. I've never been to a prerelease before and will probably get my ass beat, since I've never built sealed. I assume the deckbuilding tips are much the same as draft

Yes obviously sorry, first sentence was re-written absentmindedly

Draftsim

It's very helpful to get an understanding of how many and what you are likely to see.

Prereleases aren't worth it and I don't want to support wotc's shitty modern sets. I'll spend the money on an expensive card like Phyrexian Tower or Doubling Season instead.

>Working in a library

Sounds comfy

What should i do to the dragon precon's manabase?
I dont have that much dosh to spend, i'd be willing to spend around 65$ on just the manabase.
Also any cool cards i should add in? I have Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund in my binder

Consider Slumbering Dragon & Mothdust Changeling, if only because they're free to cast

How are they free to cast?

Because Ur-Eminence

Reflecting Pool, City of Brass, Mana Confluence.

Learn the rules before you post advice

They cost 1 generic less, not 1 colored less

>Are you going to prerelease this weekend

Always. The closest Game Store (in general, not just running the prerelease) is about 120 miles away, so me and a few friends make a weekend of it, going to the two regular events on Saturday and the 2HG event on Sunday. I'm actually kinda bummed because one of my friends who is my usual 2HG partner can't make it this pre-release. Still expect to have fun on Saturday though!

If you could use non-legendary creatures as commanders, which would you want and why? Maybe limiting to Rares and Mythics but I don't see any commons or uncommons being abusable.

I'd like pic related or any of the flip cards from Kamigawa that were legendary on the flipped side.

>make a token copy of the ur-dragon
>legendary rule sac the real one back to your command zone
>dragon spells now cost 2 less

Secret tech.

A relentless rat

My plan was to get lands with land types and use Farseek-type effects that care about land types.

So mainly the cycling cycle from amonkhet and the check lands from BFZ

It's what I want to do with my life, so it is pretty cool.

I just wish I could do it somewhere else, rather than the resort town I grew up in.

Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse. Why these weren't included with Ur-Dragon in the first place, no idea.

Alara Panoramas. They can fix for you when you need it, or just be colorless when you don't.

BfZ dual lands. Once you have two basic lands out (not hard to do) they are actually better than a shock land.

Skyshroud claim once you have either shocks or other dual lands. Ramps and fixes, and they come into play untapped.

Exotic Orchard. Given that you're 5 color you'll always get some color you can use.

>10 dinosaurs total
>pirates are shitty
>vampires are weak lifelinkers
>merfolk are super weak because wotc doesnt want to make good cards for other than draft

Why would I go to prerelease

>dude infinite turns at 9+ mana
Great idea

Any of the dinos good to use standalone?

>Implying other commanders aren't capable of infinite combos that won the game at 9+ mana
Phenax + Eater of the Dead
Ghave + Cathars Crusade + Ashnod's Altar
Marath + above
Etc.

Also, infinite turns that cost you 9 mana each turn is more boring and players with stuff that untap during your turn will still be able to shut your shit down.

Carnage Tyrant is pushed hard.

Goblin Welder
Tamanoa
Havengul Lich

There is absolutely no fucking reason this should be a Mythic over Regisaur Alpha. Regisaur is way more oppressive from a Limited standpoint.

Thread Question: No

I had an idea to use natural affinity to nuke everyone's lands for Gitrog but what can I use to restore them all back to my side of the battlefield?
Sudden Reclamation and some mana rocks are what I came up with. Any ideas?

This is my wife.

She's a slut and every Tim, Spike and Johnny has used her.

First one needs greaves or a full turn for summoning sickness and is unreliable (can brick against spellslingers)
Second and third are three card combos (Ghave even needs a 4th card to go lethal) which is completely different

Sadly, not really. There are a few that I can see finding places in decks, like this guy in a Trostani deck, but nothing really that you could slit into a deck of that color and be happy with.

You're not killing timmysaur in limited short of throwing your board under it.

How about Mike and Trike? That wins with even less mana.

If you use skyshroud claim to grab shocks, you'll still have to pay if you want them untapped. You need Amulet of Vigor or somesuch to get them untapped without paying.

Teferi's + Knowledge Pool. Your opponents can still play lands and attack but that's about it.

I like this cute little guy.

Blood Tyrant.
Look at this majestic fucking beast and tell me he's not destined to be a commander.
>Flying
>Trample
>Puts pressure on your opponents and gets stronger in the process.
>Gets stronger with every kill
Probably not top tier, but this guy not being legendary is a crime.

True, but because it can enter untapped you can actual play life to have it come into play untapped, unlike any of cards that would put it into play tapped. But I can see how that can come across confusing.

No idea why this fucker isn't legendary.

If Mike is in your command zone sure, that's equally bad

I hate that he is grixis, would've loved to play him in edgar.

Ohh, I understand now. I was stuck on the shock part, but you were recommending it because of what you just said. Yeah, great card for that.

Because there are probably multiple of them in the lore. Also, his ability would stack if you had multiple of it.

What's weird is that it was part of a cycle where 3/5ths of the cycle were Legendary. Here's the other odd man out.

How can I make Gonti go infinite so I can deck someone with Jabba here as my commander?

Well, she was an actual Mirran Angel, until Elesh decided to make her the poster girl for the phyrexian victory.

Yeah, I just thought Vorinclex had a bit more say than it turns out he did.

how do you abuse silumgar

target a planeswalker, use the biggest minus ability you can, flicker silumgar, target another planeswalker, repeat?

It's equally "bad" but no one has trouble dealing with it. The point is that a commander that needs an additional 9+ mana and 1 card is not hard to deal with if you're packing any removal and would not break the format.

Vorinclex is perfectly fine running around the Tangle performing wrestling moves on everyone, bother Glissa with the politics. He's your standard boss who lets his secretary do the actual work while he's busy doing stupid bullshit.

Yes, thingken of putting on a bandana and eyepatch but i don't have the eyepatch.

deadeye + sac engine

It's not format breaking but it's still awful design

Vorinclex really didn't have much to say in it mechanically either. I guess he just didn't give much of a shit.

Also, now that I remember, people were talking about the bunny of encouragement. Wasn't Urabrask actually hiding a mirran safe zone? He might actually be a monoR good guy.

Are there any cards in GW, that aren't Asceticism and Privileged Position that can -repeatedly- protect an army of creatures from board wipes?
Artifacts are fine too, I just prefer in color first.

>When he says he put the card in his deck for "flavor".

Yes he was, he's a good bunni

How about Inalla + Wanderwine Prophets. You're in black to tutor and don't even need to cast Inalla.

>guy says he has a theme deck
>3 infinite combos
The theme was winning

>When he says he plays competitive commander

since clones say 'copy any creature', its not targeted and I can clone a guy wearing greaves, right?

yes

If it doesn't say target, greaves doesn't stop it.

Yep, also awful design. Eminence was a mistake

Honestly I would give almost anything for legendary reprint of this fucker

>When a cEDH player plays at a casual table and says he won't combo, but then he does
>"Sorry, but I was gonna lose"

>cant find my muddle the mixture
Shit, i took it out to use in another deck long ago but now i cant find it. Whats that card each of us has thats lost in your collection?

>Revised Wheel shot up to $85

Well guess I wont have any good card draw in Marath than besides Harmonize and Skullclamp

>Urabrask is actually a guy that wants harmony between phyrexians and mirrans
>When the Mirran resistance arrived, the furnace dwellers looked to Urabrask for guidance. His decree stunned the others: “Let them be.”

Stop

>allowing someone to combo off

it's your own fault

There area a few ways to read Atraxa. If you take Lifelink as the White keyword, then Vigilance is Green and Deathtouch is Black. If you take Lifelink as the Black keyword, then Vigilance is White and Deathtouch is Green. Since other colors could have easily covered his part of it, it does really come across like Vorinclex put in the bare minimum effort.

Urabrask told the red phyrexians to ignore the Mirrans. He didn't actively shelter them or invite them into the furnace layer, but he basically did as little as he possibly could about them. He rebelled as hard as possible without technically fighting against other phyrexians.

Wait seriously holy shit

I've had 2 of them since forever when they were like $20

>"I won't combo, unless I decide to win, and I want to win"

It's like someone saying that won't use proxies, and then his entire landbase is proxied duals and whatnot.

Well, if he is letting the mirrans live in the furnace, and he won't let the other praetors enters his domain, its a roundabout way of protecting them.

Deathtouch is green because Glissa is actually running the Tangle due to Vorinclex forever being out of fucks to give.

>It's like someone saying that won't use proxies, and then his entire landbase is proxied duals and whatnot.

That right there is supreme faggotry but if someone had combo pieces on the board and you did nothing it's your own fault.

You can get them for $50-$60 if you shop around.
I got one that barely has a scratch on it for $20 a couple weeks ago and I get the distinct feeling the guy who listed it meant to put it up as an auction. They had several other old cards that were all auctions starting around the same price.

Hahaha, what the fuck. Can someone explain this to me?
mtgprice.com/sets/Magic_Origins/Sengir_Vampire

>guy tries to strip mine my strip mine
>strip mine one of his dual lands in response
>he is now immensely butthurt that he now has two less lands

I don't know what he expected

Red is the color most against Phyrexia's regime of indoctrination and the red Phyrezians just so happened to manifest most strongly the individualistic freedom aspect of red. Urabrask wants to be left alone to build his own personal vision of New Phyrexia. He's not really a good guy, closer to neutral. If the Mirrans don't cross him, he will not destroy them.

He said he wouldn't combo, and then he said he only did that win. Why would you give priority to taking out a sanguine on the board if you knew that he wouldn't combo it off?

In the end, he isn't a very trustworthy person, since he prefers to win a match of casual than to honor his word.

No, but you see. It's your fault for not destroying his lands. It's not his fault that he dropped the lands, he only did that to not lose.

Well, anything Urabrask was doing is past tense now. Elesh Norn raided Urabrask and Sheoldred's domains, ousting the Mirrans from the Furnace Layer in the process. The two Praetors themselves are unaccounted for, but their bases and forces are in shambles.

>guy casts damnnation
>I use mairsil to make his life total 4 using tree of predition's effect
>he gets mad
was I just supposed to take that without getting a use out of the effect?

The fact that he respects others freedom as much as his own is already a big deal. He could say to his subordinates that they could do anything they wanted to the mirrans, but he asked to ignore them and let them be.

I want Sheoldred and Urabrask to join forces and we will have a Rakdos good guys against the Bant dominance.

Can you use this card to choose who the opponent attacks?

>rakdos against bant
Gitaxians and Vorniclexians aren't allying with Norn
Gitaxians are chilling in the ocean by themselves, Vorniclexians don't even ally with each other so they aren't an organized threat. Norn isn't allying with them, she just doesn't need to subjugate them.

>People put Grim Monolith in Sidisi, Undead Vizier

Is there some way to untap artifacts in mono-black that I'm missing besides voltaic key?

Yes

>Master Warcraft
>huge pauldrons

hue

>herp derp I'm so new I don't know about the actual archive
Look, well done with the OP, suck it up and stick an edition on there unless you have a good reason not to.