So a few days ago, my group told me that they'd like to play a game based on pic related...

So a few days ago, my group told me that they'd like to play a game based on pic related. I never read the comics myself (I'm more of a Marvel guy myself) but apparently it's supposed to be good and I'd really like my campaign to be authentic.

So to the people who have read it, how would you best describe the setting and which system would you say would emulate the setting the best?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B1YG9RhYSqIQUTkyZktFbHdoam8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is it pre-Super Genesis Wave or post-SGW? This is very important.

If it's post-SGW, then you could easily figure it out with GURPS or a game of Mutants and Masterminds, though the power levels might be fairly across the board. If it's pre-SGW, then tell your group to fuck off because you might as well be going into freeform RP.

first of all you'll want to make sure that Sonic has blue arms.

>So a few days ago, my group told me that they'd like to play a game based on pic related.
No they didn't.

Regardless, play Mutants and Masterminds.

>sally
>clothes

All interest, dissipated.

According to my group, it would be "Post Genesis Wave," whatever that means. I played Sonic when I was younger so I assumed it would be something like Sonic Adventure or something like that?

What's so special about it?

To be fair, she and the other FF are a lot more active than they were in the past. She even got to retain the wrist-blades from when she became Mecha Sally.

>Post Genesis Wave
Okay, good. You don't have to deal with Penders' autism and you can more or less use the video games as a good guideline to figure out what kind of background you want. So Sonic Adventure is a good framework.

So yes, Mutants and Masterminds is the system you'll want to be using. It will give the closest approximations.

>Penders
Who?

This isn't Sonic Boom though.

Go to and ask them if you want to find out. I'm not going down that sewer hole here.

Contract a Lawyer first or Penders will sue you and take your characters away

Okay, now I'm curious. Seriously, who is this guy? Why would I get sued?

essentially, there was this guy named Ken Penders who was the head writer. He made the Sonic comic a bit to edgy for most people, quality went down, so Archie decided to can him and replace him with a good writer (Ian Flynn.)

However, since Archie and Sega didn't get Penders to sign off the rights to the characters he created, Penders sued to prevent the comic from using the characters he created.

Seeing as they couldn't use half the characters (some of which were integral to the plotline) anymore, Archie pulled a "rocks fall, everyone dies" on the plot. Eggman makes a universe-ending thing (and Dr. Wily is there, long story), but it malfunctions, creating a continuity reboot known as the Genesis Wave.

And now the comic's ending abruptly.

>However, since Archie and Sega didn't get Penders to sign off the rights to the characters he created,
Well they did, but they were careless and lost the document in a fire

This works only if everyone googles the Hedgehog for Chargen.

Why does everyone like being crazy?

>issue 257

Wow, I have some copies of issue #1 from back before the Great Comics Crash of 1993.

>dislikes being annoyed
Wow, this is so relatable!

My advice is do not. The comics were garbage.

>no one in the family knows their last name

The comic was great man, stfu! As long as you ignore everything that Ken Penders wrote up the comic is actually pretty decent.

Don't forget how Penders basically turned Knuckles into Jesus the Echidna and turned Tails into Messiah Prower and how Sonic was supposedly dead for over a year when in actuality he was sucked into another dimension where he ran (heh) into all kinds of strange alien creatures.

There's a reason why /co/mrades suggest you read from 1-50, and 160+, because everything from 51-159 was a trainwreck that made everything really dumb and edgy for no good reason.

What the heck kind of campaign is this supposed to be? It sounds like you don't even know the setting, how can you make a premise, especially one that doesn't step on the toes of the original and its cast?

Well I mean...that's why I'm asking in the first place.

My experience with Sonic begins and ends with the Genesis games and I haven't read any of the issues before today.

I will say though, after reading a few issues, it's not so bad, it seems like a stupid little kiddie comic that I'd read back when I was a kid. The last issue I read was Sonic turning into Super Sonic and leaving a whoopie cushion on Antoine's seat.

Or actually have good taste and do a game based on pic related

If you want to make a campaign and that's the only reason you're reading the comic, then just start with the Mega Man/Sonic crossover called Worlds Collide, and then read the comic from 252. But I'm not sure what your game is supposed to be about that won't be overshadowed by Sonic and friends.

If you don't want to get overshadowed you make it a relatively minor thing that needs to be handled, but still make it a problem.
The theme of "ok this (insert situation here) is bad but Sonic is doing something more important right now so you do it.".

Usually I don't like to read things out of order but it looks like it's a reboot anyways. I gotta admit, I didn't even know they did a crossover and I'm way more familiar with Megaman than Sonic.

Does it really require that much planning though?

I mean, from 252 onwards, we have your basic "resistance vs. empire" storyline going on where you could insert any freedom fighter team you want fighting against any faction in Eggman's army.

The only thing I know about this comic is that Sonic's an asshole and Super Sonic is evil.

What's so special about it?

post yfw the shard/nicole romantic tension never got solved because of FUCKING PENDERS

The most fleshed out aspects of the setting are the characters. I figured if players were requesting it, they wanted it because of Sonic or the Freedom Fighters, not because of Chun Nan or Shamar, as fun as those places are.

It was only poked at in a single issue, the same one where Metal Sonic died. It was clearly never ever going to be anything, and was only there to give him a little more sympathy before he went out. Hell, the comic was shipping her hard with Espio at the time.

I guess that's fair.

Even still, a mission based Mobian adventure campaign could easily work as a mission based game like Shadowrun does. Just have them hitting a different Eggman depot every other week while introducing an interesting mix of Egg bosses flanked with Badniks and shit.

Do you know what characters your players will be using? Or have they not sent in character sheets yet?

Not yet, though I've decided to use M&M since it offered the most options with the simplest rules.

Btw, I'm reading the crossover and holy shit, Eggman and Wily are so fucking entertaining together and turning Sonic's friends into robot masters is pretty interesting as well.

I should've started reading this crap years ago.

Asshole was how Brits thought you were cool.

Otherwise, other freedom fighting groups (like one being led by a leather jacket wearing sheep), undead dinosaurs, sky pirates, evil fish aliens in power armour, a legion of Metal Sonics who're independent, and a bunch of other stuff.

As for the evil Super Sonic, that's based on the Sega of America treatment for Sonic. The Chaos Emeralds were filled with evil.
Sonic gets powered up by evil filled objects, therefore the powered up Sonic is evil.

(The Chaos Emeralds were also why Robotnik was evil, originally he was wanting to dispose of the evil safely, but then his machine went wrong, he was infused with evil... and a rotten egg)

Ogilvy Maurice Hedgehog

Yes. Wily and Eggman are the best evil science bros ever.

I just read the part where Eggman tosses Dr. Light out of the airship.

I gotta admit, Wily may have his faults, but goddamn dude, that's so fucking cold.

That was pretty refreshing honestly. But yeah, the Worlds Collide/Unite crossover is legit the best comic I've read in the past 8 or 9 years.

I just love how Eggman and Wily get along so great, but Megaman and Sonic just kinda tolerate each other.

>Sally, wearing a shirt under her vest and shorts
I actually like the new look

>Antoine, wearing belts and ONLY belts
I figure he and Bunny get up to their fun, but maybe we don't need to know too much about it, okay?

Just don't read the second crossover. It's dogshit.

Dude, no. I'll just wind up with Sonichu again...

I loved that bit, because it's the perfect way of illustrating that while Wily and Eggman are similar on a surface level, one just wants his ego flattered and his rival admitting he's the better scientist, while the other is pure evil who would burn the world out of greed and spite.

Yeah, have the PCs as a Freedom Fighter team fighting against a regional Egg Boss as the BBEG, and have Sonic show up just for one special session. I figure capturing the feel of Sonic is more important than any of the characters.

Think of it from their point of view. Sonic was a video game character who never talked. His personality was a blank slate exceot that he was said to have an "attitude" and he got impatient at the player if he stood still for too long. Also he is known for going fast. All signs indicate that he is short-tempered, rude, and openly aggressive. The British take on Sonic makes perfect sense in that light. It's Archie's take on Sonic as a milquetoast who never does anything remotely bad that's strange in context.

Yeah, he also got damn impatient (to the point of giving you a game over in Sonic CD)

It's all in how they interpreted his bio, and how it developed over time.

>I'm more of a Marvel guy myself
I'm sorry.

>Sonic is good-looking
This is funny on so many levels. Isn't every Sonic character just a slightly different version of Sonic, physically speaking?

Not quite, they lost the ORIGINAL document in a fire and the judge refused to accept the copy they provided for the court.

Not in those days.
This was before Tails after all. These were his animal friends, as seen when you bust them out of Badniks or the canisters at the end of levels.

And the friends mentioned in his bio are the same ones here, just with western names:
>Flicky - Flicky
>Clucky - Chirps
>Pocky - Johnny Lightfoot
>Picky - Porker Lewis
>Rocky - Joe Sushi
>Pecky - Tux
>Ricky - Sally Acorn

Later that squirrel was turned into a ground squirrel, and a princess.

How about an OC that will never be canon?

Yolki Dolki Robotnik is my favorite name. One day I'm going to use her as a villain in a more lighthearted game.

Maybe IDW will notice and use her. They need OCs after all.

So, what you'd really want... a group of technicoloured animal heroes. (Maybe limited to the sonic forces species of Bear, Bird, Cat, Dog, Hedgehog, Rabbit, Wolf)

A robotic henchman or animal mercenary for Robotnik as the villain.

A set of zones, probably on an island for similarity to South/Westside/Angel Islands.

Maybe make the quest for a single Chaos Emerald a major thing. Something that'd allow them to strike back.

Reminder that Eggman is pure evil in the comics.

The genius of it wasn't necessarily the Sonic part, although that was good. The Decap Attack strips were brilliant.

I liked the Streets of Rage strip.
And Kid Chameleon.
Ohh, and the Ecco one was pretty sweet.
Shinobi wasn't bad either.

...Wait, "Caterkiller pin-up"?

I still like "Scramble" the most.

Eggman and Scramble! It has a nice ring to it.

>how would you best describe the setting
Concentrated, raw autism.

World's Unite was such a shit show. Too many franchises thrown in and not enough issues to properly utilize them

To be fair, that was also during the dark ages when Penders was at the helm. With that being said, he still does a lot of fucked up shit, like

Yeah, it didn't really have the focused narrative that worlds collide had. Although, seeing characters like Alex Kidd and Billy Hatcher was pretty interesting to say the least, even if it did only amount to a cameo of a few pages.

Didn't Eggman already get some new henchmen you can steal for the occasional mini boss?

Yeah, the Egg Bosses

/co/ here. I've never read the sonic comics, but I've heard enough complaining too know what his deal is. Basically, Ken Panders wrote the sonic comics by himself for an extremely long period of time during which he was an extremely subpar writer who riddled the sonic mythos with all sorts of Autism, including an gigantic obsession with Knuckle's species the Echidnas. He created dozens of Original Characters for this race and created batshit family trees for them.

After Ken was eventually booted off the comic, the next writers tried to use some of these enchina characters only for ken to try to sue Archie for using them, claiming them as his own creations. He then tried to create his own animated series with these echidna OC's

SEGA and Archie were not happy, and the resulting legal Shitstorm killed the comics for an extended period of time.

There's a good mix of motivations and tricks you could pull there with them. I know the bird on the top right was working against him, and the antelope was only doing it to heal her sister

Almost. He didn't wrote them by himself at no point, but he was one of the writers. And his autism has been dragging the comics down until it finally killed them for good recently.

Are you the same guy that has been dumping these on /sthg/?

Afraid not. I don't get out of Veeky Forums much.
I'm just someone who grew up with the comics.

I'm feeling like, if you're willing to put in the elbow grease, you could get away with Ironclaw.

You're most likely the same person who asked in /sthg/ so I'll just repeat what I said and what I got told an age ago was that FATE may be a good choice. I made a test character and it seemed that it could work

Also while I was trying to find the test sheet it I found this sonic-styled homebrew. It's rules light, don't have a clue who made it since the file name got changed, and it might need some defining with the combat rules. Hint: Weapon skill to attack, dodge to defend
And as far as I know this was never posted to Veeky Forums either. It's untested so I don't know if it would work but it doesn't look like a mess

drive.google.com/open?id=0B1YG9RhYSqIQUTkyZktFbHdoam8

The saturday morning cartoon version of it was better in every respect, and is still to this day practically the only half-decent sonic related setting.

You're actually a genius.

OP here, finished reading world's collide and I started reading the part that takes place after it. So I notice that the computer chick is glitched but when a freedom fighter touches her, it restores memory of the old universe.

Would you say that going back and reading the older issues is mandatory to understand the plot or is it cool to just continue on from here? I don't mind reading more comics btw, this shit is actually more interesting than I thought, considering it's about a blue hedgehog fighting against a scientist who turns anthros into robots.

Him fucking up his own universe out of spite dropped my jaw though. Like holy shit,
how much of an asshole is this guy?

Specifically, do they want a game based on Sonic the franchise, or Sonic the Archie comic?

The comics.

it's been some time since I bothered going there, but the sonic general on Veeky Forums was fairly knowledgeable on which issues were good and which you could safely pass over.

Starting from World's Collide, it's basically a reboot since Archie settled in court with Penders which involved dropping EVERYTHING that wasn't explicitly made by Sega, Ian Flynn, and SatAM, so not really unless you're looking for more lore to use which you may want to do since Penders convinced another writer to take Archie to court and caused the comic to get cancelled

The comic got cancelled? Shit man, and just when it was starting to get good. No wonder people hate Penders, what a fucking joke.

OP here, decided to read from the reboot onwards. Just got to the part where Bunnie gets her memories back and apparently remembers a timeline where she isn't part robot.

Also Rotor and Antoine are back as well. Also the world is apparently falling apart thanks to Eggman's bullshit from the crossover.

Yeah it got officially announced in July. IDW has it now and they're starting up in 2018. Penders caused a stupidly high amount of damage to comics, even though it only happened because of Archie's horrendous mismanagement with their contracts

>IDW has it now and they're starting up in 2018.
Are they good publishers or should I be worried? Also, what does Penders even do nowadays?

>and apparently remembers a timeline where she isn't part robot
That's the preboot timeline.
The reboot itself is kind of stupid - the editor insisted that the characters have memories of the original timeline to tie the two together, but when the writer wanted to actually do something with that, the editor told him to have them lose those memories and get on with the new plot.

IDW vary, like most publishers, but they do some great stuff with licensed titles - their Godzilla, Transformers, TMNT and Ghostbusters have all received critical acclaim.

To be fair, wasn't Archie cancelling the comic around that time or did that happen later in the arc?

Nah, the comic didn't get cancelled until, like, 2-3 years later.

>Also, what does Penders even do nowadays?
Working on his soon to be massive hit graphic novel

Yeah, but the timeline shit was stupid because everything before the reboot was made toxic by the lawsuit and starting completely fresh would make more sense

It's a cool concept at the very least,
and it does make sense considering that Eggman fucked up the reset out of spite.

Btw, I reached the point where Amy and Sally get their memories back aaaand the world is ending.

Gotta say though, assuming this is the last arc, this comic sure knows how to end on a high note, holy shit!

Yeah, it at least managed to finish it's arc before it done which was nice.

And for kicks, have another look at what the Archie Sonic comics died for

Man, you know shit's bad when you can't even read the fucking title. Where'd this guy learn graphic design from?

This. StC is infinitely better than Archie.

I'm gonna assume self taught

I'm going to level with you.

That comic is trash. Hot smoking trash. It's severely autistic, there's bullshit plot twists and origin stories and an evil alternate sonic who's twice as edgy as shadow, named scourge.

But yeah, mutants and masterminds.

it was pretty good if you were new to reading I guess

Scourge was great, fight me. Ian took a literal Sonic recolor and made it not shit