MTG LEGACY GENERAL

Worst match you've ever played edition.

Tell us about the worst match you've ever played. Bad beats, bad opponents, bad decisions.

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art, by sets, by artists, and more
basiclandart.tumblr.com

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Deck Database
pastebin.com/44w1kkRZ

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/uw-parfait-4/
theepicstorm.com/deck-list-updates-ee7/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-08-17-RJH-legacy-eldrazi/
mtgtop8.com/event?e=16945&d=304829&f=LE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>on Burn
>get turn 2 Iona'd twice in a row by an annoying tranny in a metal t-shirt
I like Burn I just hate playing Burn in this format since its so easy to die to combos and theres nothing you can do about it.

Run 4 Leylines.

There's not much you can do about it though, you need to accept your deck weaknesses. It's really not a problem with the format. By playing Burn you are heavily favored against fair decks, but at the cost of having abysmal combo matchups.

I'm going to try to make Legacy Lantern work. I know I'm crazy and a scrub, but I want to try. I need to make people suffer like I suffer. They will learn to fear the Lantern.

Should i build miracles. Love the idea of the deck

>playing ant against lands, basically bye
>game one I have slow hand, do nothing for first three turns
>he makes a 20/20 on turn 2 and kills me

>game 2, he plays turn one sphere
>never find answer, but accumulate enough rituals that I can go off through it
>combo off, then as I'm searching for my tendrils realize I only have 4 mana floating
>shame scoop

Probably my most embarrassing storm match, although I was still pretty new to the deck. I'm sure that if I used cantrips better I could have easily won.

I dont think its a problem with Legacy. Its just Burns not that good in this format.

No, it's gay and a waste of everyone's time.

>round 8 at SCG Open
>5-2 at this point
>g3 Vs lands
>start to combo out, I'm gonna get to my win-and-in and have a shot at day 2
>burning wish for infernal contract
>it's not in my sideboard
>lose

Tbh I'm 99% Legacy Lantern can't work competitively due to the amount of Library manipulation in the format, as well as better countermagic to fight some of the pieces that would otherwise go unanswered in a format like modern. On a side note you could have 4+ lanterns in the this format because of Field of dreams and from what I've seen this kind of incentivizes the deck to become an Artifact/Enchantment as opposed to straight artifact deck since you'd also get access to a bigger hate toolbox with enlightened tutor and more lock pieces.

t. Fellow Lantern player

>dredge put up results at a tournament
WE'RE BACK BOYS

Checked and respekt

>nostalgiafags fap to this "art"

We do.

AnT versus 12-Post
>Opponent doesn't own Tabernac
>On the draw, Empty the Warrens for 14 against a Tropical Island
>I forgot Glacial Chasm is a card
>Opponent Crop Rots into Chasm
>Takes 2, draws for turn, passes
>Draw something useless and pass
>Opponent takes 4, draws, passes
>Draw something useless and pass
>Opponent takes 6, draws, concedes

AnT versus BUG Delver
>Literally find a copy of Tendrils and nothing else in two games

Pox versus something else

AnT versus Berserk Poison
>G3, I'm live to jam it
>Probe to see Flusterstorm
>Chain a ton of spells looking for discard; irrelevant amount of mana
>Past in Flames; opponent allows it
>Fire a ton of cantrips looking for discard; find nothing
>Ad Nauseam to, idk, 5 looking for an answer
>Flashback Past in Flames
>Opponent allows it
>Flashback Ad Nauseam
>Ad Nauseam to 1
>Opponent has been tapped out the whole time
>Tendrils and apologize

On the other hand combo has to have turn 3 kill, because burn can consistently go for instant kill at that point. It doesn't help that the fucking deck plays 8 eidolon effects.

Not to say it isn't absolutely fucking abysmal against fast 2 card combos tho. Never seen burn player win against SnT or Dark depths.

So I like the look of Parfait. Please tell me, is it any good? Does it need to be solved for this meta or is it dead and done forever? What color splashes do you run if any?

Thinking of building a W/R build on MTGO and just Jam Bloodmoons, Firestorms, the usual Parfait stuff, and rune Belcher/Helm as win condition.

Links fo faks seek.

I absolutely love traditional art any day over overworked digital art. Too many details in a small picture frame is sure way to fuck your art up. There is so many MtG art pieces that work as a full scale image but are fucking atrocious shrunk into already small picture frame MtG has.

I don't care if you think I'm a nostalgiafag but I love art like this

I've been playing it a little bit

It's pretty fun if you enjoy the archetype, some hands will leave you durdling like a retard, but others let you dump a bunch of mana rocks while fucking your opponent's shit up

What's the deal with WotC and art submissions?
Are the artists they choose from really that lazy, or are there specific standards of what can and cannot become a Magic card these days?

I'm surprised there wasn't some smug fuck who submitted an ugly watercolor as art for some set, I know that WotC basically has a backlog of art pieces to throwing into bulk commons, but I'm really surprised that every image in every card uses the same proportions, the same color pallette, the same scene composition, the same hamfisted """"lighting""""

I know WotC isn't trying to break the bank (read: spend anything at all) on art, but I'm surprised that not even a single abstract piece has made it into the blocks from the past 10 years.

>are there specific standards of what can and cannot become a Magic card these days?
Yes.

feels bad, man

Yeah, WotC wants to have a distinguishable art style now so artists aren't given free reign anymore

You're never going to see something different like Tetsuo Umezawa, Stasis, or Bitterblossom again

> There will never be sets as crazy and beautiful in art direction as Odyssey block EVER AGAIN

Nu Wizards must die. Or alternatively Hasbro sell them to a Billionaire who likes old Magic.

Reminder Lorwyn and Shadowmoor had the best art ever

It's not impossible but shit does it just not happen enough.

>what if we just buyout magic itself
holy shit, someone get me the pricetag on that plz

yeah, but is magic worse because of wizards or hasbro?
are we better off ordering a hit on maro?

>Veeky Forums buys MTG

It'd be an interesting headline to say the least

Somebody should order a hit on him regardless desu

> you will never recognize characters in art and feel like they have meaning ever again

I miss you Tempest

Around a billion, maybe 1.3. I'm sure we could round up a few old fags with money who played MTG.

You live long enough to become the villain, or die the hero. MaRo's time has come.

While I really like those blocks too, something about the older sets just does it for me. Lorwyn + Shadow foils though are pure sex.

1.3 billion seems like a lot. Is that Wizards or mtg

No way MTG is a billion dollar company
Apparently it's worth about 850 mil

You would pay a premium because Hasbro sees Wizards as a core business that has an increasing revenue stream. MTG is a very good brand in terms of business. If the economy hit the shiter again or revenue starts to drop you could get it cheaper.

Wizards.

>ou would pay a premium because Hasbro sees Wizards as a core business that has an increasing revenue stream.
They only contribute about 7% of their sales, I really doubt it

I've been running the UW variant for a few months and it's been legitimately decent. It is one of those decks that needs to be tailored to the expected meta, so it will feel pretty unforgiving at first until you get your MB silver bullets and your SB dialed in. My hardest matchups so far have been BUG/4Color control, Infect, and hilariously enough UR Delver. BGX decks are annoying with their ability to interact with your prison pieces outside of permission, Infect/UR Delver have permission and a fast clock and only care about a few of your cards.

>Apparently it's worth about 850 mil
Unlikely, Hasbro purchased it for 325 million. You're running off of weird numbers, it's not 1/7 of the total Hasbro, Hasbro has 7 Major lines, but Magic is the smallest of all of them.

>Buy wizards
>Make maro print a card with dredge 7 and storm
How do you think he'd react as he pulls the lever?

he'd pull the trigger

How would one make a card with dredge AND storm that is interesting tho?

Dredgestorm?

Dredges X, where X is the number of cards put into your graveyard this turn

They've already printed something not that far off.

This may sound retarded but do you guys have any techniques to efficiently Goldfish, and if so, what are they?

Post your list i want to compare

What are the best sideboard cards a mono-red or mono-green deck can run to fight Storm-based decks like ANT? All I can think of is Pyrostatic Pillar.

Maindeck, Deathrite Shaman and Eidolon of the Great Revel. In the sideboard, Mindbreak Trap, Surgical Extraction, Pyrostatic Pillar, and Leyline of Sanctity.

If you're just speaking of tricks to make it go faster, the main one I use to test cards is to start with six random cards plus that card in my opener. I don't know of a simple way to test cards for their topdeck potential, though.

yea, stuff like that
or just card counting style when goldfishing a non-combo deck

i enjoy storm because you just solve for lethal, and now am looking to see how other people test their archetypes solitaire

Sure thing my man, here's my current list: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/uw-parfait-4/

I'm thinking about cutting the Elspeth in the SB, not sure for what yet. I'm also thinking about testing out Mana Maze and Trade Routes at some point. Trade Routes seems like it could be absolutely bonkers in this deck with Land Tax, allowing you to turn lands intro draws at instant speed.

Don't forget artifacts are an option. 3ball and chalice are very good against Storm decks if you can power them out turn 1/2. also what said.

> tappedout.net/mtg-decks/uw-parfait-4/
> back to basics
> moat
nice

Thanks man, Moat and B2B have been great; My meta is flooded with greedy BUG/BUGx deck and Decays. Having cards that punish the UBR/BUG/BUGr manabase or are Decay proof are a huge bonus.

What do you guys think about Bryant's new version of TES rocking 4x ETW? I'm not a fan of running that many in addition to dropping Defense Grid from the SB. Going up a Therapy by cutting a land seems a little risky as well.

theepicstorm.com/deck-list-updates-ee7/

My net worth is 1.5 million. Find us around 220 more Anons as rich as me and I promise I'll sell all of my land and belongings for the cause.

What nice stuff ixlan has bought legacy, vintage and pauper?

I'm actually a big fan. It takes after the modern storm deck, where they often do the same thing for similar reasons. One thing that he's been doing that I need to try to do is shrink my wishboard a bit. Dropping massacre feels radical but I rarely ever use it. Bounce/kill spells or t2 kills are better solutions to dnt.

>Going up a Therapy by cutting a land seems a little risky as well.
He didn't cut a land. He cut a Burning Wish, it's just that the original add was a 14th land, but he switched it to the 4th Therapy.

Perilous Voyage looks its going to be worth a test as a SB card in Storm decks. Besides that nothing really popped out to me as Legacy material.

I think going up to 3x ETW total is probably correct, 4 feels like to many and siding in 2x more 4 drops reduces the power of Ad Nauseum a lot. When TES was running ETW+PIF main hitting both felt awful; It makes me skeptical of bringing in too many 4 drops from the SB.

>Dropping massacre feels radical
I'm all for this one, Massacre has always felt like overkill for an already heavily favorable matchup. I cut mine a while back and haven't really missed it.

However you want to look at it, I've always felt the deck functioned better with 14 lands; I was mulling less with the 14 lands than when I was running 13.

I dunno man, one of the most popular cards in the format (brainstorm) really fucks with you.

I'd say dredge still gets into top 8 pretty frequently

unban Gush

Unban necropotency

Even with all those ETWs the average CMC is still less than ANT's. There's a higher probability of getting the feelbads but the math still works out fine.

>re: massacre
For Doomsday, dropping Massacre is a bit more radical. Even with the 4x Petal list I'm on, we're slower on average than TES by a turn. Even so I can't remember the last time I wished for it vs DnT.

>There's a higher probability of getting the feelbads but the math still works out fine.
With my current build if I was to cut 2x Ponder to bring in 2x ETW from the SB, my average CMC goes from ~.85 to ~.95. This doesn't sound like a lot, but it makes the "cut off" for Ad Nauseum a good bit higher. It basically won't affect you very often when your casting AN from a high life total (15-20), but will make your lower life "risky" AN's (>12) a good bit worse to the tune of 1.5-2 cards on average, which is huge. I'll probably do some testing with Bryant's list, but it would seem to make the deck worse at comboing off under pressure. Who knows, maybe access to multiple ETW MB to grind people out will more than make up for making the pressured AN's worse, I'm just somewhat skeptical of plans that make the decks main engine less reliable.

>Who knows, maybe access to multiple ETW MB
derp meant in the main after sideboarding

torpor orb creature makes stiflenought better i guess
beyond that, probably nothing

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/uw-parfait-4/

How essential is City of Traitors, and do you think Chrome Moxs could work instead of Diamonds?

Both really up the price of the deck, just wondering if I could use the cheaper alternatives for now.

But when you side like that it's because you're changing the main plan of the deck, so you're really making the secondary plan of the deck less reliable

Chrome mox is needed and Crystal Vein for cheaper version of traitors.

City has been great in the deck, it allows me to power out the higher CMC stuff without turning off land tax. Diamonds are pretty much necessary, they allow you to accelerate without making additional land drops so Land Tax stays active and keeps you from having to run duals for fixing. You could substitute Crystal Veins for CoT's, but I don't think you can build the deck and have it function well without the Diamonds.

Like I said, I don't know if it will prove to be better on average, I haven't tested it yet. I'm just saying I'm skeptical of the plan at first glance.

is NicFit still viable? Can anyone post decklists

>Maindeck, Deathrite Shaman

How does Deathrite Shaman even interact with Storm? Storm dumps a ton of cards into the graveyard, Deathrite can only target one.

Right but if you target their only tutor during a PIF kill you'll stop them. It's more like a speed bump. They'll need to find enough mana to tutor up a tutor to have redundancy.

Oh, I see! Thank you.

I'm making some major changes to my 12Post deck. Artifact hate is less common than land hate, so I'm dropping the reliance on lands with spells like crop rotation and Ancient Stirrings, and thoring a bunch of mana rocks and Voltaic Keys. Going full colorless, and staying Eldrazi tribal for now, Thought-knots are the bottom of my curve and are amazing, and the titans are obviously the best curve toppers. Realty Smasher seems easier to cast and more powerful than Wurmcoil. I like Ugin over All is Dust, because for I mana more you get a repeatable exile effect and a wincon.

Anyone ever tried a Big Eldrazi list with heavy reliance on artifacts? It feels good, but I'm not going to have a chance to play for another 3 weeks or so.

Holy fuck a decklist would help

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-08-17-RJH-legacy-eldrazi/

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-08-17-RJH-legacy-eldrazi/
4 Key and 4 City seem like a lot
You're only running 8 rocks and key is a dead card if you don't have them. Like your best case scenario is turn 2 dynamo and that still only puts you at 7 mana. It feels like you have this weird spot between the TKS and Smasher and the titans that you aren't really filling all that well. It's easy to slam to sol lands and go into an eldrazi but you can't go dynamo slam eldrazi.
My advice, drop a few keys, maybe drop the dynamo. Monoliths seem good because you can play the monolith and get out a turn 2 smasher. I'd also probably cut Kozi and go for all is dust and some warping wail. Ugin is nice to have but 8 mana is going to be a bit harder to reach than you think and might not hit some bigger stuff.
You also have 61 cards.

Here's a spicy fucking meatball
mtgtop8.com/event?e=16945&d=304829&f=LE

unban Oath of Druids

I have older version of stasis and I can confirm that the as told version works.

Mono R prison is such a boring deck. It's not fun to play as or against and it doesn't feel like a good deck. It just feels like you win or die by your draws because you have to lock them out of the game, except it feels like so many decks in legacy can just straight up deal with the deck.
Oh, got chalice? most decks run decay
Oh no, blood moon! fetch a basic, float mana, destroy it, or counter it, etc
Idk, I'm just not sold on the deck as a super viable archetype. Maybe some weird sneak attack/fatty variant but not this midrange lock shit that it currently runs.

Would it be possible to brew a competitive deck around mentor and land tax rack package? A split between miracles and parfait?

yeah probably
there's that tainted pact deck, this idea cant be much worse

It's definitely a viable deck. Besides the fact that it puts up consistent results, just because a deck can deal with one lockpiece doesn't mean it can handle multiples or a stream of them. 4x 3ball, 4x chalice, 8x moon, and as many as 4x bridge. Most decks struggle to beat at least 1 of those. If you find the deck has consistency issues, mull more thoughtfully.

Losing SDT was a dickslap but the deck is still okay

it's definitely a very inconsistent deck, but it's one of the most powerful prison decks.

>I like Burn I just hate playing Burn in this format since its so easy to die to combos and theres nothing you can do about it.
Yep, eat shit.

At this point I would say it is THE prison deck of the format. White based prison decks are dead, Pox is meh, and MUD has been killed by Eldrazi. Eldrazi based decks are good, but are definitly less prisony, I'd rather have 8 Blood Moons than 4 Thought-knot.

wait so is hermit druid just banned because of it's combo in an extended deck?

pretty much. Considering it dumps YOUR ENTIRE LIBRARY into the yard, it's pretty good.

sure but you have to untap with it and pay G, in legacy that's pretty hard to do when push/swords/bolt exist
idk compared to all the other stuff we can do in legacy, it seems like druid is a bit hard to make work

mentor is just such a wasted slot when you always want to land tax on turn one

a "built up" mentor is just a removal target (good if you bait a disenchant with it or whatever) but in a deck that otherwise runs no creatures, it usually ends up eating creature removal

mentor is pointless in parfait even though it seems like it would be a natural fit

but I guess it gives you something to interact with your opponent besides preventing them from doing anything until you wombo

mama mia!

what are the best ways to consistently drop an as foretold as fast as possible?

besides the obvious 2-mana land + mox diamond, that is

desu I think that's the best way to do it. If I were going to brew up a Stasis list that spicy meatball is where I'd start. As foretold to cast spells under stasis is sick.

Meh, it would probably be better oops all spells considering Hermit druid saying "Nonbasic land".

better opps isn't all that good

I like most of the blue cards in the deck, As Foretold is a ghost pepper in some homemade tomato sauce. I'm not sold on everything else. I get what he's trying to do with the deck but I feel like it could be made more resilient. It's time to brew Stasis.

Didn't say it was.

Wouldn't mind trying to build a deck with it, but compared to other shit the format has, it seems underwhelming these days. Would this be a starting point for the build?

4x druid
4x narco
1x azami
1x lab maniac
(4x?) Dread return

6-8x discard
4x GSZ

4x Elvish spirit guide

20x lands

I imagine the issue is that it's a one card combo. Given that you can actually play lands in this sort of deck, and cards like worldly tutor, entomb, shallow grave, unearth, etc. in addition to blue cards and fow, it would create an extremely resilient and consistent combo deck that instantly wins when the Druid gets activated. It would be way more powerful than oops, dredge, and tin fins, and probably more powerful than reanimator, comparable to flash hulk. I really don't think hermit druid is safe to unban, especially since I've played with it in edh and it does not seem fair at all.