EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Stabbing Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: Most epic backstab you've seen in a multiplayer game? Alternativley, how'd your prerelease go?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tlg-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/no-bones-about-it/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-09-17-rafiq-enchantress/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reposting for deck help

I'm only at like 30% competitive, what can I add to at least get to the 40% range?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tlg-3/

1-3 build Kami and Tymaret
4-6 build Gonti and Arjun
7-9 build Zada and Silumgar
0 build Nekusar

I'm an indecisive bitch

Build all of them.

>another player in the playgroup played bloodmoon
Shits about to get real fun really fast and Im excited.

I don't need THAT many commanders

although I'm probably going to run Chainer, Yaheeni, or Toshiro over Gonti

Is this guy FUN?

>gonti and arjun
best choice

i kind of want to build this myself but my instinct says that 8cmc sort of ruins this

So Gishath is fucking GREAT. I got a foil at the prerelease and he did so much fucking work. I want to make him a commander now.

In my last game, I got focused and slaughtered because I'm obviously the most dangerous player despite having only 2 Islands the entire game.

Wrexial is fun if you want to be the villain at the table. Just mill and steal wincons, and win too often on Commander damage because everyone runs U or B.

wait for Rivals and Explorers of Ixalan to release and add all the dinosaurs to your EDH

Oh, I will.

2:2 midnight pre-release, got 2 boosters and cracked open the bootleg gaea's cradle. Wanted it for my Savra deck, but didn't want to dish out 20$, so I guess I am pretty lucky.

In a cyclopean sort of way, yeah.

I seriously despise extra turns except for cards like final fortune, and always felt U/G is OP because of ramp into infinite turns.
Am I just a salty casual?

Magic wasn't really fun today. I got hosed with my mana three EDH games in a row and lost the last one to the usual dumb shit.

Then I did one round of prerelease and quit because I was tired. I didn't pull anything, but I looked at the spoilers again and realized that I don't think I could've pulled anything. The list of cards I want can be counted on one hand.

I want more magic. But I also want it to be good, but don't know how to do it.

Cyclopean means big.

He only costs 6, friend.

I dislike extra turns as well. They feel much more masturbatory of a tactic, especially since no one that plays extra turns seem to be capable of rational thinking and take ages on each of their turns.

meh to me it depends, an extra turn effect can be useful as long as it doesnt turn into a jerk off
so if you can find a way to go infinite or kill everyone because of it I tend to scowl at it

basically to me the name of the game is to have fun and if a decks sole purpose is to end the game then id rather just not play with someone using that deck, an extra turn here or there isnt directly going to make a game unsatisfying, Ive cast a few stitch in times myself

It's the only way I get an "extra" combat phase with edric.

1-3: Neheb Discard Tribal
4-6: Vhati Il-Dhal
7-9:Cromat Bad Cycle Tribal
0: Zedru's Wild Ride

How many creatures should I have roughly? I'm buliding Lazav and so far I've only got 15+Lazav+Creature steal/clone spells. Should I add in many more?

Any new cards for a Captain Sisay deck in Ixalan ? Would like to run a fat dino but did not see anything legendary for selesnia in the spoiler.

Also what's your opinion on pic related ?

Anyone here ever play EDH with Planeswalker commaders? Me and some friends are thinking it might be fun to give it a go. I'm probably going to go for Ajani, Mentor of Heroes and make it cat tribal. Though Arlinn Kord seems pretty fun as well.

I would play either the first Nicol Bolas PW, Garruk Apex Predator, or Ugin. Just ramp and then destroy all the other planeswalkers on the table.

If you want power, Teferi is probably still the best PW general. Tezzeret the Seeker is close. Probably everything else is at least a tier below.

I'd say 15-20 creatures sounds good. Depends on how many control / copie spells you use. Never played him though so I may be wrong.

I feel like I've got enough, having my effectiveness be determined by what my opponents bring to the table has me a little nervous though.

As a question for anyone who's played Lazav, do cheap "look at target opponents hand and chose a card to discard" style spells have a place? Being able to rip something straight out my opponent's hand for Lazav to be seems like the easiest way to do it.

Ostracize and Thoughtseize might be okay, but I wouldn't pack your deck with hand destruction.

Life's Finale could be cool, though.

Despise is better than Ostracize.

So someone in your playgroup is going to get killed first in the next 5 games?

Are we ever going to get any Skeleton tribal support? Search indicates that there are about two dozen creatures of the type, which are more or less reskins of the same one, but boy do they have a great artwork. I love me some zombies, but these are pure bliss

Has anyone ever played a Malfegor or Hellbent-themed deck before?
Im on the fence about building him. The concept seems fun.

death baron is really good (and expensive)

>legendary permanent
neat

He's the only card worth anything in the deck though, and is not even a skeleton. Would definitely run him as commander though. Lim-Dul used skeletons, but his card creates zombies instead

>madness + cycling value engine

never done it but i like the sound of it

>macar
>rescue from the underworld
>vortex elemental and kraken of the straits
>voyages end
>Bearer of the heavens

is there a more satisfying block than theros flavor-wise?

>Malfegor

Im surprised nobody has talked about this amazing synergy yet

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/no-bones-about-it/
best I could do for skeletons, tried out Skeleton Ship and while it's a more on theme commander it's total shit. The deck does ok in my meta, it's certainly not high power, but that's what you get for building theme. A lot of the new generic tribal cards from C17 and Ixalan need to get added.

fuck me this card is fun. got it for my PR promo, put it in the deck expecting to be overrun by dinos while wasting my turn casting it, ended up winning me every game in which i cast it. so much value. definitely going in my yidris deck. also got the captivating crew, what a powerhouse. not sure what EDH deck i wanna put him in, but he's definitely going somewhere.
went 3-1-1 at PR, 8th place and 3 prize packs. neato.

dont you forget chained to the rocks

>fated infatuation
>sip of hemlock
>titans strength
>akroan horse

god damn even though lots of the set is just bad I cant help but want to sneak some cards in just cause of flavor

top-down design, man. when simply reading a card puts a huge smile on your face. innistrad does that excellently, too.

>Planeswalker? That's a paddlin

Consecrated Sphinx
Dragon Mage
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Laboratory Maniac
Magus of the Jar
Magus of the Wheel
Runehorn Hellkite
Fateful Showdown
Keep Watch
Kindred Discovery
Memory Jar
Reforge the Soul
Shared Animosity
Temporal Cascade
Thought Reflection
Time Spiral
Wheel and Deal
Wheel of Fortune
Firestorm

Consider me fucking jealous. I hope to have the same luck later today.

I despise pretty much anything that wins the game through an infinite loop instead of combat. It's just fucking boring.

Alternate wincons that are actually printed on cards are fine, though.

So how is St.Traft as a commander?

Seems pretty hard to set up, considering it can't be in your hand when you want to combo it with malfegor

Stuff like azor's elocutors seems way more boring than an infinite combo

I do think some infinite combos can be anticlimactic though, particularly anytime somebody just entwines tooth and nail and wins

Yes, Kamigawa has better flavor.

Alright so I'm playing some gay combo shit for the first time in my life, other than draw, tutors, and counterspells, are there any other important key factors in comboing?

Bland.

Anybody have the image of the spike walking through the game store and deciding on Commander?

C E A S E

Only got 3 extra packs last night but I think I did just fine

Thanks, user.

>3 of the best new card
Very nice

2 were in the kit and then my last prize pack gave me the 3rd

Didn't have time to play in the prerelease, but I did buy a pack. Did pretty well I think

>buy a pack
>6+ rares

What?

A fatpack maybe?

Got a Vona, Valueboat and blue flip enchantment, traded them all for a NuCradle.

Pretty happy overall, went 4-2 with WB vamps.

Did OK. Went 2-2 with GW Dinos. I tried to force UB Pirates but got absolutely pounded first match so I switched. Got the bootleg Lotus Vale and Path boardwipe so I'm pretty pleased with how I did

What is the best channel for gettingin touch with TCGplayer? I had a seller cancel and refund an order on some tribal shit and now the price has more than doubled. I don't want a refund I want my cards.

After half a second of thinking, we can probably assume he meant a pre-release pack user.

I don't think you win that. They can just say "Oh my bad we miscounted our stock and couldn't complete the order".

Oh didn't realize you could just buy prerelease packs, that's pretty cool

Your LGS can just register you as a participant that dropped out round 1.

Truely the wicked do prosper.

>need new sleeves for my Mirri equipment Voltron and hatebears deck
>I work every day and I can never get to the flgs to buy some matte dragon shields
>my "friend" wants to play tonight and I know my stack of hatefuck and tutors would ruin his day
Should I unsleeve a deck, go in with unhinged swamp sleeves on my deck, or just toss everything in perfect fits and hope nothing ruins them? It's worth about $400, which concerns me.

Is there any downside to unsleeving the other deck besides the raw inconvenience of it?

Since you have no time to get to a LGS, order it online for this one.

Just change some cards and tune down the deck.
>"friend"
?

>Tonight
Tell me of this shipping option. I genuinely wanna know how much you have to shell out for this kind of service

I assume they mean more generally in the future.

What card shop closes early on the weekend? Especially pre release weekend. Just pick some up before you play with them after work

Already got a shell. Just waiting to slot the dinos.

But it is limited. I don't expect him to play the same way in Edh.

No, not really. It's probably the best option in my case.

My flgs is open noon to nine, I work 11:30-8:30 with a half hour drive.

>"friend"
It's actually the guy who taught me to play magic by using a storm deck against my theros standard edh deck. Friend in the sense I'm bringing beers, "friend" in the sense I'm going to try as hard as I can to win, and I expect to crush him.

Ya they won't come tonight, but I'll have some sooner rather than later. Any fancy sleeves with decent quality?

So, I've been away from Magic for a bit (followed on and off doing prereleases, completely stopped looking at the cards around when Aether Revolt came around) and decided to get back in by finally putting together a Commander deck: how does this look?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-09-17-rafiq-enchantress/

Enchantress always sounded fun, and because my first competitive Magic deck was Bant around the Lorwyn-Zendikar era I decided to go for this. The Conscription-Sovereign is a couple of pet cards that I'd like to keep.
I have almost all the pricey stuff, just need to grab an Omniscience and actually find the Replenish, Winds of Rath, and Words of Wind.

Did anything good for Enchantress come out recently? I've looked at Sran for another Enchantress effect, but I don't know how many Auras I should have for him and Spiritdancer to be worth it.

I mean, unless you're running Orrery I don't see how you're going to cast malfegor @ instant speed.

How is a 2 mana enchant hard to set up turn 2/3/4/5?

one of the more flavorful tribal lords

>one of the more flavorful tribal lords
Except Traft isn't a lord you fucking mongoloid.

He's fine I guess.

Try Ephara.

>hasn't read the lore

There's literally no way they wontbe open later tonight, they were probably openthe entire night last night also. Like I said pre-release is going on and thats when shops get their most money

I love it and run it in three decks. Mad as fuck that I ordered a foil for 70 cents because its a pet card right before the planeswalker change was made and they cancelled my order.

>Mixing up mechanical and lore concepts

You don't see anyone calling Lord of Extinction a lord.

Fucking jew faggots.

I fucking hate jews.

And magic

Kill me

In multiplayer? Ass. In 1v1? Very solid

Anyone got any suggestions for a good Simic commander? GU are my favourite colours so I figured I'd enjoy ramping and drawing like mad. And I usually play control so I wanted to back away from that for a little and just enjoy a midrange deck.

I'm tired of keeping a scry land and a checkland and a darksteel ingot and not getting there.

I'm upgrading to 38 lands instead of 35. Is this wise l? I feel I got too dumb with my mana base. 35 is just lands, not any rocks or ramp.

it really depends on the deck's goals and average CMC

rashmi

rtfc

I like the idea of free draw/ramp every turn without being reliant on the commander but can't help but feel that maybe the Simic god would be better.

Kitchen tabe is the only satisfying form of magic

Kitchen table edh group I'm with banned extra turns just to give everyone no reason to even try and abuse it.