Culture shock in fantasy setting

What are some good Asian fantasy setting or world that can correlate well with classic western DnD fantasy? I hardly see anyone made a successful connection without feeling awkward.

Assume MC going to a new land and it happened to be an Asian esque country. How does he handle the shock? Some important plot details one should consider?

Other urls found in this thread:

bato.to/comic/_/comics/yoroi-and-office-lady-r22251
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This looks fun. Source?

bato.to/comic/_/comics/yoroi-and-office-lady-r22251
armor-kun is cute

They have different categories of thinking. Their language has no ''I'' in what we mean by this. They have hieroglips that dictate the way of life on linguistic level, same hieroglyph means land, father, man and house, so people are pretty role determined. For example, the second daughter always makes the food, and the youngest daughter cleans the house. As soon as the state of family changes, everyone naturally swaps roles. The society is meritocratic, you can become top advisor of the emperor, but your role in society is determined by role you have, so as soon you are out of job you are poor again and no one really bothers to respect you.
The approach to knowledge and science is different. We always had some degree of rationality in our culture, even christian dogmacistism was still using logical approach, just dogmatic.
Their criteriums of scientific proofs are:
1. Its widely accepted
2. There are confirmated written sources of this .
3. This does not contradict other written sources.
Also, very pragmatic attitute to politics. Population control is genociding villages to ''optimize'' the region after rebellion, very talented exceptional people are not hired under this system because they create as many problems as they bring good, etc
What I was describing is ancient china, so feel free to add some elements of this to your setting, a medieval man will get a cultural shock if put into such enviroment

Pretty fucking dystopian.

But how exactly they managed to innovate with this system? Old China had plenty of applied inventions.

This is ages of natural selection we are talking about, all innovation is due to unified buerocratic system and millions of people, so some things like paper and gunpowder just happened, though both are acomplishments of one man, not research as an institution. When you understand how low amount of actual invention per capita China had, you will realise I am right. China is better at preserving knowledge than us, though, despite all these massive killings they never had dark ages in our understanding. And well, such system doesn't mean you don't completely innovate, it just focuses on things like stability and preservation. Don't forget that chineese government was minarchist, as long as manpower and grain was supplied, they gave all the autonomy to local government.

Didn't they have a mass slaughter of scholars once or twice?

Opposing factions like legists and confucians murdered each other constantly, yeah. And as I said, exceptional individual is dangerous to such system and needs to be shut down.

Please tell me this one isn't a fucking girl in the armor

>very talented exceptional people are not hired under this system
>What I was describing is ancient china

Nigger you what? China goes on and on about exceptional people, you yourself mention it's a meritocracy, and there's the bureaucracy which existed specifically to test for exceptional people and give them positions in the government. The problems came about from the conflict between Legalism and Confucianism and the madness of the Emperor

You're selectively speaking of a particular periods in Chinese history when bad shit went down

no, just read it

It's a romcom

There is nothing girl in the armour.

>when you want to join the crusade against the Saracens but your gf wont let you

>Please tell me this one isn't a fucking girl in the armor

There is a Skeleton inside that armour.

>img000008.jpg
not
>praise the miniature sun.jpg
one job

source me good sir

>sworfujos get historically accurate swordboys
>armourfujos get some SCA-tier shit.

SUFFERING.

Freaks Squeelee. Dude's a side-character.

>Dude's a side-character.
eh
thanks anyway

This... actually made me sorta sad.

#
As a chinese i wonder where you got all these ideas, because they are inaccurate and sounded exactly what a foreigner would imagine, just like how a weeaboo would depict Japanese culture.
To be fair though, I often find that even the most educated and dedicated foreign scholars making obvious mistakes about oriental cultures. Not sure why.

Because China isn't Chinese anymore, so why should foreign scholars care how they depict it?