/exg/ - Exalted general

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

Jupiter is the best Maiden edition

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/334307-webcomic-tales-of-exalts
xanroth.deviantart.com/art/tales-of-exalts-page-1-475565355
xanroth.deviantart.com/art/tales-of-exalts-page-2-475762573
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Previous thread:

I updated the NPC pastebin with Rantai and the Mouse of the Sun, I'm still missing Elephant/Mammoth and Fulope.

is arms ever going to come out

It's gonna be the Duke Nukem Forever of tabletop supplements.

N'aw, it'll just follow the pace and standard for timely release set by the core book.

Mechanics question; building a Dawn, Melee Supernal, clash focused. What to do against high defence characters who rarely attack, such as Crane Stylists?

stab them

I was looking for charm recommendations, thanks. Excellent Strike, Rising Sun Slash, Hungry Tiger, etc.

Equip a light weapon and hope for a high roll with Rising Sun Slash.

Clash them. Their defend other still costs initiative.

If you can't do that, then a full excellency attack with Rising Sun Slash will work. Clashing is a safer bet, especially once you get hail shattering practice.

Alternatively, but charms that let you 'charge up.' If they're going to play passive, go into Bloodthirsty Sword-Dancer Spirit and get +3 free dice on all your attacks for the scene.

The defend other of a Crane Stylist costs zero initiative.

full defense, rather

>Clash

That's the general strategy, but Crane Stylists tend to not attack, meaning I can't clash. Instead they pump up their defence and then counterattack.

They won't be able to stall forever. Holding action costs initiative, so if your initiative is higher then they will need to attack eventually.

Alternatively, the Omnislash combo of Full Excellency + Rising Sun Slash + Fire and Stones + Hungry Tiger + Iron Whirlwind kills them and anyone else dead. Just have Bulwark Stance active and so long as you have decent soak (medium or higher) + Durability of Oak they'll have a hard time hurting you. Their parry will sink like a rock (Which according to Vance, needs to be used in order to counterattack).

>Holding action costs initiative

Holding means delaying, right?

>Omnislash

I was thinking of building up multi-attacks after clash anyway. I already have half the charms you suggested.

>Soak

Will heavy armour suffice?

>needs to be used in order to counterattack

Link?

You have to pay the cost of a full excellency for each iron whirlwind attack, that sounds like a great way to go from full to zero motes in one action.

I don't know if Vance did say that Crane Style needs to parry to counter attack (the charm text only says 'in response to an attack').

There's a huge topic on the OPP forums, I ain't going through it. Rest assured he did make the clarification there.

Heavy armour is also more than enough. Cranes have issues with damage. They'll either need to dip into something like artifacts or Snek in order get more damage or have the capstone where at that point they hardly give a fuck so long as they're not crashed.

>Lets not forget about DBT-Shintais and tumor telekinesis.

What happened there?

>lol @ turning infernals to green solars simultaneous to infernalizing abyssals.

There was some stuff that was like that in 2e. The taint mechanic for instance.

>It's basically something that catches your opponent entirely off-guard. It's like, in the middle of a heated fight, telling the Abyssal you're dueling that you're in love with her.

How did that work out for you?

They defend again? Strength Increasing Exercise. Become a beacon of "stop stalling"

What level of intimacy is the Black Claw sifu's intimacy? Can it be a minor, or does it have to start higher?

I'm surprised nobody else commented. Maybe the humor is just too unsubtle.

Alternatively you can put everything you got into grappling them. Defense ain't shit once they're grappled.

Minimum minor. It can be increased or decreased in intensity like a normal intimacy, but will always be minor.

I assume just having finished training it would be either Defining or Major?

That would make sense, yeah.

What level of Working would it be to change someone's gender?

>Love is a lie
>Innocence is a lie
>Blame is a lie
>Lies are inescapable
>Children betray their parents
>Gods betray their makers
>Students betray their teachers
>Betrayal, too, is inescapable

I wanna be an Exalted Kamen Rider

what's stopping you?

2e Modern Alchemicals.

A lack of friends and a lack of knowledge

Why would that stop you?

Why is Steel Devil shit?

Terrestrial 2 or 3

Do spirits automatically/instinctively know if you know Ghost Eating Technique?

2e or 3e?

In 2e the charm "Measure the Wind" allows them to determine that stuff.

Where can I find the latest Night parade preview about the Elephant/Mammoth and Fulope?

3e

They don't know you have it, but it's generally agreed that they know it when they see you use it, which is probably pretty pants-shittingly terrifying.

Alrighty then, thanks

Is the 3e core book supposed to deal like it's missing a good five sixths of its content?
It's like if D&D pushed a core book that only statted humans.

That's an old White-Wolf publishing trick, one they uised to great effect with their old WoD line. Publish stuff, write in things that have no context, introduce splats for that content so you can actually play the game. It was fucking annoying.

1: It is annoying as hell with getting only 1/7th of context (only Solars. Dragonblooded, Lunars, Sidereals, Abyssals, Infernal, Alchemical)
2. There is at least 15 charms per skill. 25 skills. 375 charms not including martial arts and sorcery.

I don't think you can put more into core Exalted book.

3. Still no new books published. Few books on "horizon"

D&D 3.5 core - around 597 spells
Exalted Core - 838 - 683 charms, 108 martial arts charms, 47 evocations

I don't get why they didn't start with Dragonblooded, since they are the guys that everyone is going to need rules for due to how common they are. Or at least make them more or a priority than the 'Go shopping' book.

solars get priority because they're easier to yourdudes than dragonblooded are while showing off the "you are an awesome demigod" stuff in a more generic way. this has its benefits but also its drawbacks; I much prefer dragonblooded.

>Jupiter
Not Saturn, with the ring around her head? Although I'm not sure if that visual theme works in Exalted where The Maidens are planets/wandering stars and not planets by the modern definition.

They didn't start with DragonBlooded because they are "the baddies" just like most other Empire equivalents in fiction.

It's actually about what says, and also about a desire to introduce the upper limits of Exalted power right at the stat, and also about the fact that Dragon-Blooded have a fuclod of fluff specific to them, whoch makes them a poor choice to introduce in the core, where you're alo supposed to give a more general overview of the setting.

to each his own

Having fuckload of fluff isn't a bad thing. If anything lack of fluff makes everything generic and people ask themselves "why am I playing this setting? " and then they go back to D&D.

There's a such thing as too much of a good thing. Too much fluff means a setting can look impenetrable to outsiders, which sets up a high bar of entry. High bar of entry means little newblood.

That's bad for the game. It's best to start them off with a good bit of fluff that makes them interested in more, then feed them the thicker stuff. Dragonblooded, however, basically requires you to know a ton of fluff right off the bat, wheras Solars can be played with "You're shiny, gold and powerful, your patron is the unconquered sun, and these people over here want to kill you."

I didn't say that having a fuckload of fluff is a bad thing. I said it makes the Dragon-Blooded a bad chpice for core. Having to go into detail about the Realm and the Dynastic society leaves less room for other parts of the setting, and gives a too one-sided view on the setting.

You can make Realm footnotes and glossary in under 20 pages. If anything you feel like a part of a world in contrast to yet another "a man with no name walks into a town"

Also you can't tell me 20 pages of Realm content is much if people can go through 300-500 pages of rpg rulebook

If anything I would start with DragonBlooded and Lunars because they are most dominant in Creation at the game start. Then introduce Solars and Abyssals because they are new kids on the block.

Also presenting Solars as victims that did nothing wrong and people are out to kill you for no apparent reason is also a one sided view. Also let us not forget "I'm golden and shiny now. Let me change societies too my linking because I know best."

>Resplendent Solar Avatar (Magical): The Solar may grant the mouse any of the benefits of his anima banner for free when he uses them himself, or may pay separately to activate them on the mouse’s behalf. This is not compatible with anima effects that allow characters to acquire permanent traits, such as an Eclipse’s ability to learn certain spirit Charms or a Twilight’s ability to bind spirits as familiars. In addition, the mouse may reflexively surround itself with radiance emulating its master’s anima banner at the burning level.
>An Eclipse's Mouse may sanctify oaths

>You can make Realm footnotes and glossary in under 20 pages.
Yes, but here's the thing: you shouldn't. Every House deserves at least a page for itself. The major bureaus andministries of the Realm should have proper writeups, noteable individual Dragon-Blooded should get some pagecount, and the Immaculate Faith is sufficiently important to take several pages. 1E Dragon-Blooded devotes nearly 70 pages for the setting chapter describing the Realm's history and present and the Blessed Isle, and around 60 pages for detailing the life and society of the Dragon-Blooded themselves. That's pagecount well spent.

thats an odd example. doesn't that fuck their perfect defense if they believe you?

yep. forces you to buy several books before you can actually play.

also keeps your focus on the solars so you don't accidentally get attached to dragonbloods lunars or god forbid infernals which had to be redone so as not to outshine solars again ;)

because then you might like dragonbloods instead of author favorite designated protagonist solars. you're supposed to shit on dragonbloods not play as them.

so do the cliffnotes in core and then release a settings book.

I too think dragonbloods and lunars first would be cooler, solars released later would help their powercreep and they'd draw interest from being the op splat rather than lunars lacking interest for being shittier solars for example.

personally I find solars far and away the most boring(except for abyssals of course, but they don't count) and a corebook with dragonbloods is simply much more functional as a standalone.

If an Abyssal has the Compassion flaw for their perfect, they can't use it near someone they have an intimacy for.

It doesn't matter if you love her, it matters if she loves you (regardless of what you feel for her).

Luckily doesn't affect with Lunar mate

the release schedule makes it feel like Dragon-Blooded should've gone first, the antagonists section of the corebook already feels worn out because people can make Dawns that solo Ahlat.

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/334307-webcomic-tales-of-exalts

This any good? The recent pages certainly don't look shit but overall it has a very started in the middle feel to it.

Yeah. It's this situation of '90% of your exalt allies and enemies will be this exaltation that is not turning up for ages'

How often do GMs of this game use their own discretion on things not really covered by the rules, such as the use of hard cover, speed factors and the like?
I ask because I am in a Scion game, and I know the 2 games have the same base system, and I'm constantly surprised at how all the rules that are there, there are some conspicuously absent.

>Deviant art gallery
Grglfh

>forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/334307-webcomic-tales-of-exalts

The art is bad at first but definitely improves over time.

The comic has gone on for around 3 years, despite not having more than 300 viewers.

Here are the first pages (if you don't want to look throught the entire gallery to find them).
xanroth.deviantart.com/art/tales-of-exalts-page-1-475565355
xanroth.deviantart.com/art/tales-of-exalts-page-2-475762573

The Infernal preview, which was criticized for a great number of things, approached the Shintai as something that you build up by buying certain charms that give you certain powers, and then activating them as you see fit, instead of having a single full package charm. This was quite similar to how the way Lunar Knacks gave the DBT different powers.

This would also give them powers and mutations that could be used outside their Shintai such as a mutation that grows a tumor in your brain allowing you to use MHM, instead of copying aspects of the Yozi themselves, you'd grow something that'd presumably eventually kill you, or you'd lose your MHM powers if you cured it.

I think people read way too much into the notion of MHM as a tumor, doubt we were ever going to get a power that required you to be literally dying from brain cancer

It was an unnecessary change to the fluff of how it worked, I feel. Tossing out the idea of imposing your own Infernal will on the world in favour of something banal.

oh a tumor is dumb, don't get me wrong but dying from cancer would've been a level of dumb onto itself

The art and the fact its on DA isn't my issue with it, Xanroth comes across as a bit in love with his own characters and you see this really early on where this one guy with two mouths is ordering around Ma-Ha-Suchi and insulting him to his face and it takes me out of it because it feels like Exalted fanbase commentary rather than how anyone would interact with Ma-Ha-Suchi. He's also got the 3 non-canon Deathlords working together and pooling resources and one of them is a guy he reckons could take on the Lion.

Because solar cocks must be sucked. Nobody gets to exist until solars have their shiny toys. If anything I'm surprised they aren't also being delayed until after the sorcery book

Stuff like that is just my jam. Black Claw has the best fluff.

Black Claw best MA, that fluff and intimacy shenanigans

Yes, not having the core be something you can actually use on its own certainly sounds like a good idea.

A mouse blessing the peace treaty of two tribes while the Solar is away would be pretty awesome.

ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

punching people in the dick and making everyone else think it was their own fault

Seeing as a MA always changes you, I would houserule that they always come with an unbreakable intimacy of some sort.

It is silly that you can be a master Crane stylist and not taking peaceful resolutions seriously. Or that you can be a Righteous Devil master and not caring about justice and retribution.

Remove the overpriced MA merit and give everyone knowing at least one charm from a style a related unbreakable intimacy. MA deeply changes how your character view the world. They are as much a spiritual initiation as a series of charms.

This also means a canny social character can cheese your intimacies, and that is exactly how it should be. If you meet a crane stylist you know that there is at least the possibility of a peaceful resolution.

I'd say intimacy yes, unbreakable no. but you can't continue to train any more charms in that style unless you require the intimacy, and maybe more than [conviction] scenes in which you use the style count as working to rebuild it unless opposed or...something. I'm not good at balancing that sort of thing. the mindset required to learn and encouraged by their use should change you but knowing them doesn't and shouldn't mindrape you into being that way forever.

Solars are easier to play because they also don't have any baggage. They're literally the everyman exalt. Their powers are strong and straightforward and can make virtually any character concept you want.

Exalted was originally going to start with Dragonblooded, but they thought it'd be a dick move and increase power creep to the extreme if you show was is the "main" line then completely overeclipse them in power with new guys.

>[conviction] scenes
What is this, 2e?

>everyman
This word means the opposite of what you seem to think it does. Solars are the opposite of the everyman.

If you think Solars are boring, it's because you are boring and can't conceptualize things without a clear strong thematic hook that informs aesthetics and powers. All other Exalt types basically have training wheels on them for concepts. Only Solars are so open-ended. In short, the issue is that you probably aren't very creative.

honestly I think it's more like how every edition of D&D has popular classes and races it doesn't include in the core- it's just that those players don't get as tribal as splat fans and are more isolated pockets of crazy.

No it means exactly what I meant it said.

Everyman as in they have no weird powers, themes, or magic. Their power comes from both their skills and that you can make a Solar to fit almost any narrative role in the setting.

3e turning back the clock kind of saved Solars for me, at some point in 2e they stopped being the everyman I think it was when they could turn into Primordials but that was worse than being a Solar.

>I think it was when they could turn into Primordials
That's Infernal though

no that was Solars too

I think what user means is that Solars can be anyone that's cool enough before they exalt, but honestly, that can apply to any Exalt in general.

Exalts are like pawns in chess that have made it to the other end of the board - they stop being the weakest piece (mortals) and can become any of the movers and shakers (any piece but the king).

In regards to Infernals being Green Solars I want both. I would love it if Infernals had Yozi skinned Solar charms but they also had the ability to learn actual Yozi charms like they did in 2e.

Never going to happen but that's my dream.

they are far and away the blandest splat. "I am the bestest at everything!!!11" is boring

being too openended is basically being a blank sheet of paper. there is such a thing as too much potential, just as there is a definite blandness to a magic system with too much "mystery" and no "magic a is magic a" rules to constrain it. or to a setting where 3/4 of the map is blank "to give you room to explore and create"

exalted likes to walk that line, and certainly talks a big talk, but doesn't actually cross it by the time it makes it through the final round of editors.

worst part was when it was used to be reductive to other splats "want to play someone with the power of the Underworld who isn't forced to suck a Deathlord's cock? play a Solar!"

About how many Dynasts do you guys think there are in the Immaculate Order?

stfu