Rolling for stats

>rolling for stats
>rolling for ideals/bonds/flaws
>using critical miss rules
>using combat rules for everything like things that should be obviously RP based like trying to cut an ordinary person's throats in their sleep
>rolling skill checks for things your character should obviously know/be capable of doing from their background and experiences
>rolling for active perception when your passive already passes the subject's DC
>mfw

Why do people introduce so much randomness and game-y nonsense into their DnD sessions outside of the situations it was meant to apply? If you're a DM, and you're the type of person who will say "make me an attack roll" when I try to smash an ordinary glass window when I'm an 18 STR fighter you should legit just kill yourself.

dumb frogposter

Roll for persuasion or that's not an argument.

Rolled 9 (1d20)

Dumbest frogposter

>below average roll

You try to formulate an argument to convince the audience that anything I've said is wrong based on the fact that I posted le frog meme, but you accidentally shit yourself and spill spaghetti everywhere, ruining your credibility.

He didn't need to roll, rolling is only for things that might be a challenge in the first place.

Which is what I said in my OP, in as many words.

Rolled 17 (1d20)

Can I roll insight instead for you being a dumb frogposter?

>rolling for stats
Why not?

>Seems a bit strange, but maybe you want to play something you normally wouldn't think of playing?

>Depends on the specific rules

>using combat rules for everything like things that should be obviously RP based like trying to cut an ordinary person's throats in their sleep
>rolling skill checks for things your character should obviously know/be capable of doing from their background and experiences
>rolling for active perception when your passive already passes the subject's DC
These are indeed stupid but also basically just one thing that can be summarized as "using rolls for stuff that is so easy there shouldn't be a non-trivial chance of failure.

>why not?

Because it interferes with role play. Good luck being that smooth talking womanizing bard with -1 to CHA

>but maybe you want to play something you normally wouldn't think of playing

This was a poor example on my part, most DMs leave it up to the player to decide their character's qualities like that, so you have the choice of doing it or not doing it. But usually rolling for stats or point buy is forced on all players.

You look at the OP and see a frog and conclude that I posted a frog.

Wow, you really ARE a dumb frogposter.

You formulate what you want too play AFTER you rolled you stats you dumb frog poster

>>rolling for stats
>>rolling for ideals/bonds/flaws
nothing inherently wrong with this, it can help to get the creative juices flowing for people who are unsure what character they want to play
you're right about all the other stuff though

No, rolling for stats is inherently wrong.

Random elements in character generation can be fine and good, but flipping a coin to see whether you get a viable character or a useless dipshit who you'll need to get killed is not a good game design.

i mean you can do point-buy if it bothers you that much

You can always ask your DM for a reroll if you end up with all negative stats or something,which is near impossible, or you can just ask him to do point buy
Communication is key buddy

>You can always ask your DM for a reroll if you end up with all negative stats or something,which is near impossible

By the time you're doing 4d6 drop lowest, arrange as you please, reroll if you get less than X or more than Y, what's the point of rolling at all? You've obviously identified a narrow range that all characters' stats should fall in, so it would be more honest to use point buy.

I could even just not play D&D, but it's not going to stop me from calling out stupid rules.

I'm ignoring your post for two reasons.

One, your opinions are just that, your opinions; I don't like them so I'm ignoring them.

Two, yoiu have this stupid frogpicture in your post. So, I'm hiding your thread and will never see the responses you post to this post.

And really, the board would be better if you were running a quest instead of this opinion loaded stupidity. Mostly because you'd get banned.

>I could even just not play D&D, but it's not going to stop me from calling out stupid rules
This is literally stop having wrong fun the thread
Anyways dropping the lowest is no problem
Rerolling the rolls if you get something unplayab is no problem
This is literally just you having an autistoc shitfit for no reason

Fucking ouch

This.
Sage for no real reply, and hidden so I need not put up with some outsider frogposter hunting for (you)s.

>He doesn't normalize rolled stats so that the purpose of rolling is to determine their distribution, not their density

Point buy is for min/maxing shitheads that can't handle the idea of not having a perfect mary sue snowflake.

This. I've played several concepts I never would have considered if I hadn't rolled the stats for them. It's fantastic for stretching your creativity muscles and getting out of a rut.

It's also good for getting you out of optimization behavior, as long as your DM is on point and doesn't let you reroll or suicide if you get suboptimal stats.

>He still is rolling for stats
>He's not using atmospheric noise distributed over a sine curve and averaged against the asperger level of the guy sitting across from you
>Not even using topological stat mapping to distribute a stat curve along an arbitrarily aligned axis and determine a relative distribution to allow for a cross-system character
It's like you want your stats to be shittily distributed and monosystemic.

>Not pooling all the stat rolls
>not having the players draft stats so character building becomes a team buildong exercise
Fucking pleb

dumb frogposter

Completely brainless frogposter

Gonna disable that trap.
>rolling for stats
Nothing wrong with it
When you want to start the game ASAP and play something new and cool, but not figured out who your character's gonna be.
Nothing wrong here
OK, this seems legit. That may be allowed only when characters are trying to kill a very important NPC or other PCs.
Obviously for whom? For the player who has made his character a war veteran skilled at medicine, occult linguist who was raised by the tribe of survivalist thieves who learned to drive earlier than he learned to walk, learned to hack computers a bit later and to play a guitar somewhere in-between his stealth training and yachting?
> rolling for perception twice in a row for hwat pvrpovse.

How the fuck can there be people defending rolling for stats in 2017?

>why are people defending randomness in my dice rolling game?????????

Many people still hold up sandbox campaigns with zero plot hooks as the peak of tabletop gaming in 2017 too.

People have bad opinions

The moment-to-moment dice rolls that govern the action of a game of D&D have a purpose - they introduce an element of unpredictability to the actual events of the story and serve as an impartial arbiter between the players and GM.

Rolling for your stats at character creation doesn't serve any useful purpose, it just tells you whether you're allowed to have a strong character. It doesn't even give you the interest of playing something you wouldn't have thought of that you get from a well designed random chargen system. The absolute best case scenario is that everyone gets about the same results as they would have gotten from point buy.

>Playing D&D
*inhales*
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>it just tells you whether you're allowed to have a strong character
Or an extremely strong character. It's entirely possible to roll far above what an array or point-buy system would naturally permit.
The "absolute best case scenario" is that players may find themselves Master of All Trades.

If that's the kind of game you want, then give the players more points to buy stats. Giving one player a way better character because of a lucky roll at the beginning of hte campaign is not a good outcome by any stretch.

I remember a game based on Elric of Melnibone, where random rolling could either make you a human tradesman with a pittance of gear and skills, or a Melnibonean Wizard-Fighter with a Demon Sword.

Don't remember the name of it though.

The reason why you use roll is to avoid minmaxing
The worst case and the best case never actually happen
And just because an option exist doesn't mean its shit
You don't like roll
Some people like roll
Stop being an autist

This, I gave the players 30 points and an extra skill, there was no issue to it.

Mainly it means that no one is likely to have an 8 in an attribute.

>The worst case and the best case never actually happen
Only if you start giving players do-overs or letting them roll multiple arrays, at which point why the fuck are you wasting time rolling in the first place?

You'd know this if you actually played the game non-theoretically.

Please kill yourself, frogposter. Preferably in front of loved one- oh wait.

>Pointbuy/Rolling
Enjoy your unbalanced characters. Standard array is the only way.

>I enjoy playing homogeneous characters
Well good for you.

>muh sacred cow

#triggered

I've always wanted to do it like this. I feel like it might make for really powerful characters in general though. Maybe just have each stat be 3d6? I dunno, how did you do it?

>rolling for stats
Rolling to see how you distribute your stat points can be a lot of fun.

Good for when you need an NPC or you're feeling stuck with your character concept.

Totally fine if they're very rare and don't cause self-decapitation.

Well, if the combat rules cover things like coup de grace attacks and attacks from stealth then it makes sense for your GM to rely upon them.

You roll dice when there's a risk associated with failure or a good chance you won't succeed. If your GM is making you roll, it's probably because the situation demands it.

If you can't fail a check your GM shouldn't make you roll it.

>haha Shrek meme get outta my swamp haha
>haha meme president epic kek get triggered
You have to be 18 years of age or older to post on this site

Anyone not rolling 5d4 for stats is wrong. Perfectly distributes, chance for a 5 (retarded) or a 20 (once in a generation types).

>Good luck being that smooth talking womanizing bard with -1 to CHA

You pick your class and character archetype after you role the stats genius. Why in the world would you approach a randomly generated character with preconceived notions of what you want to play?

Rolling for stats is great if you want 70% of your characters to be Retard the Orc Barbarian, Limpy the Anemic Wizard, or Fumbles the Cleric.

We usually rolled as many dice as there were different stats, an then we would decide which of those would go to what stat. That way you could still prioritize CHA as bard but also have a sense randomness to it.

Most rolled characters come out mediocre, point buy is how you get what you're describing.

So you didn't even read the first 20 pages of any player handbook to see what the order of character creation steps are.
You roll for stats before choosing race or class precisely to avoid the hypothetical you have based your argument on.

Dumb frogposter.

The worst case and best case never happen because they're fucking rare. When you roll 3d6 you've got a 26% chance of hitting 8- and a 26% chance to hit 13+ with each roll, which means you've got better than a 1 in 3000 to get worst case scenario or best case scenario.

standard array guarantees characters with distinct strengths and weaknesses though? under point buy you could have a whole party with stats in the 10-14 range

If if you really want random stats, why not take the standard array and roll to see which stats go where?

Starting from the highest stat roll 1d6. Reroll on numbers that you've already landed on. Random and Balanced.

I could just play a Wizard and get the same outcome.

I like the idea of playing a min-maxed character who has to use combat rolls for literally everything, but min-maxing may be too powerful for that to be a disadvantage.

Having all your stats be middling isn't an advantage.

>>rolling for stats
It's not my thing either, but to each their own
>>rolling for ideals/bonds/flaws
who does this?
>>using critical miss rules
retarded nerd DMs, you can usually talk them out of it
>>using combat rules for everything like things that should be obviously RP based like trying to cut an ordinary person's throats in their sleep
That's actually a coup de grace, and it is a roll, but they will almost certainly die
>>rolling skill checks for things your character should obviously know/be capable of doing from their background and experiences
you can take 10 if you're not stressed, usually
>>rolling for active perception when your passive already passes the subject's DC
yeah no point in that
>>mfw
If you're going to troll, you can find better material